Code of Conduct

Default New Haarlem or A*Men... or both?

I first categorized A*Men as a scent I like, but that I don't want to smell like. It quickly grew on me and is now next on my list of upcoming purchases.

Then I began to read about New Haarlem, and I'm not sure what to do.

Are they different enough to warrant both, or should I try New Haarlem before buying A*Men?

Default Re: New Haarlem or A*Men... or both?

Short story: Go with the A*Men

In case you care, here's the long story:

A*Men pros:
    -You already know you like it
    -I'll second the notion that it's the bomb explosive
    -It has legendary sillage and longevity
    -It is the best clubbing/partying scent there is (especially for the winter)
    -Other people will like it on you
    -Comes in a nice 50ml rubber bottle (great for traveling) at a reasonable price ($50 or less). 50ml will last you forever, btw.
    A*Men cons:
    -Some people dislike the tar note, but since you've smelled the scent and like it this is rather irrelevant

New Haarlem pros:
    -I don't even know where to start. Really though, I don't.
    New Haarlem cons:
    -You haven't even smelled it yet
    -It is thick, gross, and syrupy
    -You smell like you spilled coffee on yourself. Unless you're that stupid lady who won millions from McDonalds for doing that, it is probably not a good thing
    -Oh yea, it costs like $175

To answer your other question, they are different enough to warrant owning both, but only if you like NH enough to want to own it in the first place. It costs $175, but I wouldn't wear it if I got paid. It is just really not a good scent to me. It never hurts to try things, so you might want to try contacting Bond, you might be able to get some samples. Or maybe a store near you has it. But for now, go with the A*Men, after all it's something that you know you like. Good luck man.

I haven't smelled New Haarlem yet, but I suggest you also look into Comme des Garçons - Wood Coffee. One of the few from the Sweet series that is worth owning.

Excellent advice, giraffe.

I share your opinion of New Haarlem. I liked it at first, but after wearing it for a while I found it annoying and not all that easy to wear because as you mentioned, it's "thick and syrupy."
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

I love A*Men, but I love New Haarlem too. It`s a great scent, but ridicilously still overpriced.

Have you smelled Rochas Man?? Well, New Haarlem is like concentraded version of that. It smells wonderfull. Delicious sweet coffee with smooth, rich woods; it is simply irresistible.

IMO A*Men is the best gourmand scent ever, and New Haarlem is second in that list. (Rochas Man would be third, and let me mention that I don`t consider Body Kouros as an gourmand scent...)

Hey man, if the money is no problem for you, then you should DEFINITELY get both A*Men and New Haarlem. No doubt. They both are fantastic creations, and very much different from each other.

I had to come to a decision because I wanted to own a 'gourmand' scent. I liked both A*Men and New Harleem. It seemed redundant to own both. I went to SFA and sprayed New Harleem on my right arm.. and A*Men on my left. After about 15 minutes, the Mugler A*Men is what smelled better of the two. The drydown is very different on both. I bought the A*Men with the original stainless steel flacon. It's refillable and looks great. Now, I don't even think about New Harleem. I'm totally loving the A*Men... I wore it last night to the movies! So what I would recommend is for you to try both and see what works on your skin. Good luck!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

I agree that if you've already tried an liked Amen get it. I find it intoxicating and delicious. Also it's a very edible fragrance and others will want to take a lick.
    I find new haarlem confused, ridiculous and cloying. The price point is frankly insane. You'd have to pay me to wear it though. I have a problem in general with bond though. This frag has all the usual bond problems as well as its own particular noxious-ness.
    Go for Amen man. Good for clubbing, seduction and just plain yumminess.
    m

You can also try the new "L by Lolita Lempicka". Same perfumer made this one and "New Haarlem" and you can definetely smell it . The opening notes of "L" are the same coffee-chocolate-caramel notes of "New Haarlem". The main note is spicy vanilla (similar to L'Artisan's "Vanilla").

RTbar

I think NH blows A men away

Thrax

A*men is certainly my favorite of the two. I just found that A*men offers more for less money. Sure New Haarlem is good, its great. I got the 1.7 of New Haarlem and the 1.7 oz A*men. A*Men costs less, lasts longer, and smells better.

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    I think NH blows A men away
    Me too. better blended, less common, more discreet, yummier, coffeer.

Wow, thanks for all the great responses.

I neither neither like nor dislike the tar note in A*Men. It's just there.

I have not tried Rochas Man. Unfortunately, it's not in Sephora, Nordstrom, or Macy's, but there is one fragrance store here I haven't visited yet. I have a decant of Hanae Mori, which I really miss the coffee note in.

I buy nearly all of my fragrances from Scentiments and they are out of A*Men at the moment, so I think that may give me the opportunity to test New Haarlem.

This definitely answered my question. It's pretty clear that even though you might like A*Men, you may not like New Haarlem.

I am gonna have to say A*Men for integrity reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwalkoski

I have not tried Rochas Man. Unfortunately, it's not in Sephora, Nordstrom, or Macy's, but there is one fragrance store here I haven't visited yet. I have a decant of Hanae Mori, which I really miss the coffee note in.

I buy nearly all of my fragrances from Scentiments and they are out of A*Men at the moment, so I think that may give me the opportunity to test New Haarlem.

This definitely answered my question. It's pretty clear that even though you might like A*Men, you may not like New Haarlem.
    Hello Sir,

If there happens to be a Perfumania near you, there is a possibility they would have Rochas Man. Not a bad scent, frankly. Just seems that the one time I tried it, the longevity was poor. But hindsight is always 20/20, and I recall that the day i tried it was a high temp of 91F and I only spritzed a 'lil quicky-spray. Longevity issues therefore could have been due to environmental conditions rather than fragrance composition. If you get on well with coffee/chocolate and lavender, Rochas Man may full well be a fave.

Regarding Hanae Mori HM, I too get little to no coffee or chocolate from this one. On me, it's rather lemony-sweet and a bit woodsy with floral undertones (lily of the valley, which I happen to like.). My first ever sniff reminded me of a candy/ice cream shop I used to visit when growing up in my old neighborhood. Thankfully, the candy sweetness was not able to drive me away. I own and enjoy wearing HM by Hanae Mori.

Good Luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwalkoski

Oh, and i just remembered: Have you tried the original Angel, the female scent? May wanna give this a shot. I noticed that on my skin, A-Men and Angel (orig) have just about the same opening and mid-notes, but the woodsy drydown of Angel is much more subdued than A-Men. I for one do not detect the "tar" note on A-Men. But Angel does not list it. Give it a spin!

While A*men and New Haarlem share many traits, I think they are quite different enough to distinguish from each other. Basically, if you want a chocolate scent then you should stick with A*men. But if you want a rich coffee scent, then New Haarlem can't be beat IMO.