Code of Conduct

Default Retrying frags with a bad reputation here

I have started retrying the fragrances that are being thrashed at here since last month. I don't want to dismiss any fragrance too quickly just because they received bad comments. Some of them are top sellers and they must have something in them that gives them their popularity...

Le Male
    I didn't even retry it. I just bought it blind(well, not really...I tried it the last time and hated it... thought it was overtly synthetic). This way I would be forced to give it a serious reassessment. So... I kept an open mind, gave myself a spritz.....
    I was greeted with a powdery, soapy and fresh yet dry and astringent top. Mint and lavender! A very pleasant start indeed. And a little of the spicy notes like cinnamon and cumin stood out giving it a little more "life".
    Then the fresh powdery top notes gave way to the spicy heart and the cumin and cinnamon stood out more. The vanilla and musky base becomes more apparent.
    Finally, it dries down to a sensual sweet and warm ambery base.

Cool Water
    Often looked down upon, rarely given credit for its ability to appeal to the masses.
    A synthetic fruity top. Wanted to dismiss it again but I decided to stay strong and sniff on. Somewhere hidden under the synthetic fruity mess was a mix of notes that gives the impression of clear sparkling water. Cool water. If only they could isolate those notes, and discard all that synthetic headache inducing crap, it would actually be a rather beautiful fragrance. Yes, beautiful I say... Clear, sparkling, cool........
    A soothing base of amber... Usually amber makes me feel a little "dirty" but the extremely synthetic(I know amber is synthetic in the first place! Just that cool water's amber notes are even more synthetic...if I can put it that way...) amber notes actually makes it rather soothing. Soothing... am I mad? No, the synthetic fruity notes still stick around and irritate the hell out of me. Well, at least there are some good qualities to this fragrance!

Kouros
    I can't believe it. This fragrance is actually beautifully made! BEAUTIFUL I SAY! Spicy cool... Not sure why it smells "cool" to me... Almost like there's mint in it! I got stares from other people in the shop but I don't care! I remember it used to smell like urinal cakes to me. But not this time when I'm ready to accept anything. A light floral spicy scent with refreshing herbal notes. I'll probably get a bottle of this next time.

Any suggestions on what to reassess next? I'll go sniffin' again some other time. Meanwhile, I shall try to mentally isolate those bad notes in Cool Water and appreciate the rest of the fragrance!

Default Re: Retrying frags with a bad reputation here

Quote Originally Posted by Xen
    I have started retrying the fragrances that are being thrashed at here since last month. I don't want to dismiss any fragrance too quickly just because they received bad comments. Some of them are top sellers and they must have something in them that gives them their popularity...

Kouros
    I can't believe it. This fragrance is actually beautifully made! BEAUTIFUL I SAY! Spicy cool... Not sure why it smells "cool" to me... Almost like there's mint in it! I got stares from other people in the shop but I don't care! I remember it used to smell like urinal cakes to me. But not this time when I'm ready to accept anything. A light floral spicy scent with refreshing herbal notes. I'll probably get a bottle of this next time.

Any suggestions on what to reassess next? I'll go sniffin' again some other time. Meanwhile, I shall try to mentally isolate those bad notes in Cool Water and appreciate the rest of the fragrance!
    I also find Kouros to smell "cool". It took me a long time to appreciate Kouros, but it is now a favorite and I've only received positive comments about it.

A lot of the popular fragrances get bashed just because they're either boring, too common, or both. I agree it's good to keep an open mind and try to consider fragrances on their own merits. I TRY not to dismiss anything based on popularity, the opinions of others or my own hasty judgments.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

hmmm bad reputation at basenotes....u could try Joop!, Tommy

Good project, Xen.

Please check out Puig's Quorum. I'd really like to see it re-evaluated here. Dance2trance's suggestion of Joop! is a good one too. I'll try to think of more. Great idea for a thread and great reviews.

Onward with Xen's scent adventures!
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Alright I shall take a look at Joop! and Quorum. Hope this undertaking doesn't get me killed or suffer permanent brain damage!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB
    Good project, Xen.

Please check out Puig's Quorum. I'd really like to see it re-evaluated here. Dance2trance's suggestion of Joop! is a good one too. I'll try to think of more. Great idea for a thread and great reviews.

Onward with Xen's scent adventures!
    --Chris
    Hi Chris,
    I recently tried re evaluating Quorum, and my opinion has changed. I now find it close to being almost bearable.
    Renato

While we're at it, I'd also suggest re-evaulations of Acqua di Gio, CK One, and Eternity.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

How about adding Curve to the list.

Ihave been tempted with Le Male also and need to find out if that sweet edge will be headache inducing. I also would like to see CK Eternity revisited. I think it is a classic for CK!

I like CK Contradiction and thats that.

Also, I have begun to quite enjoy Dunhill 2003, ever since Mr. K presented a new way to think about it (as a gentleman's musk, rather than the wannabe tobacco i had considered it before) Its funny how such mental formulations can totally change your approach to an experience of a frag.

I was a tad embarrassed that I loved Cool Water so much when I first came here, not that everyone was bashing it -- so I quietly put it down and explored into other wonderful options like Envy, Guerlain Vetiver and some Creed fragrances. But low and behold, after purchasing many of these other awesome colognes -- I still love Cool Water. Some days it's my favorite. There, I said it.

Markymark how about this-

I PREFER COOL WATER TO G.I.T.

wow that feels good to type!!

(just in case anyone is still reading, I prefer the clean syntheticness of cw to the sickly creaminess of git- all in my opininion of course)
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

I should try and reassess Ck Contradiction...nice warm and woody scent, but I remember buying a bottle and not being satisfied with the drydown and turned a bit sour on me. Maybe things might be different this time for me as well.

Xen,
    I salute you for your willingness to think independently!

It does seem to me that excessive popularity can cause a scent to be thrashed here - I tend to reflexively dislike the overly popular myself.

And I can be swayed by opinions here, not by the "this is the worst scum I've ever smelled" type of review, but by reviews that are well-thought-out, well-written, and showing some skill and sensitivity. Conversely, I won't name names, but when certain people really, really hate something, that tells me that it's probably worth checking out!

There are a couple things I've smelled and liked (but not quite enough to buy) - Kenneth Cole Signature and Unforgivable, two items that are roundly despised here. Unforgivable is apparently a rip-off of Creed, and I can understand the annoyance with that.

Maybe someone can start a Brut/Old Spice revival movement! Imagine the mounds of crap that would land on them!

Xen,
    I thought of another. Don't miss Ralph Lauren's Chaps. Everyone here hates it. It's so cheap these days it might be hard to find. I think it bears a resemblance to Creed's vintage Tabarome, myself.

But everyone else says it's just plain awful. I bet it pulls the babes though.
    --Chris

You should try some of the Creed offerings.
    Creed is the most hated niche brand on basenotes !

I don't know if it has a bad reputation, but a guilty pleasure of mine, is tommy hilfiger men's summer from 2004. 2004 edition ONLY! TH has a rep as being a pretty mass market frag. Amatuer stuff. But this stuff, it's light fresh and fruity, perfect to douse yourself in at the beach or pool on a lazy summer day, because it's inexpensive, it doesn't matter if it gets washed off or you have to use a bunch to mask some of that salt water smell.

Alright I shall take a look at Joop! and Quorum. Hope this undertaking doesn't get me killed or suffer permanent brain damage!
    I like both of these very much. Joop! is quite synthetic, but not disgustingly so, and it is very warm and rich; Quorum, though a trifle dated, is very nicely put together. Both of them are very aggressive.

The trick in wearing both of them is to go lightly on the spray.

I am another who prefers Cool Water to GIT.

Looks like I got a huge lists of scents to try/retry now! I spent 3 hours at Jasina trying out lots of scents I've never heard before. One of them caught my attention - Escada Fruit Punch. It's for ladies but who cares? An effervescent tangy mix of tropical fruits. Not your usual kind of vanilla sweetness!

Btw, going a little off topic, Paco Rabanne Black XS got me interested. Calamansi and strawberries, a slightly edgy and sweet note in the middle(must be praline which they listed in their notes), something resinous smelling in the bottom which I think could be that "black amber" note. Not sure whether I should get it though... This thing might get cloying in Singapore which is like summer all through the year! And 3 other fragrances caught my attention too:Kouros which I previously mentioned. Loewe Essencia-a musty green scent. Patou pour Homme-THIS IS DA BOMB.. warm, boozy, leathery...intruiging fragrance... The person selling me the perfume(Wahida) told me how Marlen tried to buy 5 bottles of this discontinued gem and how he had Jasina ship so much fragrances to him that the shipping fee amounted to $200(around US$1200)!
    Tried Gucci Envy too and was pleasantly surprised. An intense woody fragrance perfect for romantic occasions.. but I'd rather get the other 3! Besides, I haven't had any luck with romance LOL! Hmmm.. must be all that "old man's scents" I'm wearing all the time. Oh well...

Oh, and don't be embarrassed expressing your love for hated perfumes. You're most probably perceiving a different scent than others anyway!
    That's all now... Keep an open mind and keep sniffing!
    Last edited by Xen; 2nd July 2006 at 07:09 AM.

If I may be so bold, I would like to add Very Irresistible, which AFAIK has been bashed quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Somedude
    If I may be so bold, I would like to add Very Irresistible, which AFAIK has been bashed quite a bit.
    Oh yes I tried it yesterday too! Fresh minty top with honeyed fruits. Reminded me more of Angel than A*Men. A slightly different mocha base with no caramel or cotton candy like in A*Men makes this one a winner IMO.

Another vote for Quorum as a frequently vilified fragrance that I like and is worth checking out.

I was in Marshall's the other day and got to talking to a woman who was also shopping the fragrance section. She told me that she had gotten a fragrance there that she absolutely LOVED on her husband. I expected her to say it was Cool Water, Drakkar or some other very popular scent, but it was Quorum!

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Perhaps Calvin Klein's Crave, which is not only hated here, but was not well liked in the market apparently, having been discontinued. I do not usually like fruity-synthetic scents at all and I am way past the intended twenty-something target group, but this one took it so far over the top I actually found it kind of daring and strangely attractive. Or maybe this was just midlife crisis kicking in.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I really hated Calvin Klein Crave... Had it stuck with me for over a year and just gotten rid of it recently so I am never going back.

Wink Re: Retrying frags with a bad reputation here

I think Lagerfeld Classic has been 'trashed' here, too. Recently, within the past couple months, I revisited Lagerfeld again after smelling it on a rather young man. He smelled so good...(as I remembered how I used to absolutely hate Lagerfeld).
    I've since purchased a bottle and I have been wearing it from time to time, especially when I get a whiff of it from a shirt or some other item that it has rubbed off on. The SOTD!! I know some may classify Lagerfeld as 'old school' or '80-ish', but it still smells good. I get compliments from men and women. Not that I'm looking for that but it's funny how fragrances we consider old and outdated can still generate positive responses. I think Lagerfeld is a very pleasant, clean, and masculine fragrance (even in the summertime). This is definately one you don't smell very often. I'm really enjoying it!!!

Larry (from a long time ago....)

Looks like Lagerfeld Classic is a good one to try!

Everyone, come share your experiences too!

(Xen,
    I've tried PMing you, but your inbox/outbox remain full and the system doesn't allow me to get through.
    --Chris)

It's empty now

Blog Entries

Kenneth Cole Reaction is teetering on the edge of becoming my "signature scent" (CK be currently holds the title). There are people on Basenotes that like Reaction, but the majority hates it. I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY!!!!! It's fresh, it's fruity w/o being overly sweet, and I get compliments on this one every time I wear it no matter if I'm @ the bar, work, or church. There is more than one Basenotes review on this scent where the reviewer says that it's not their cup of tea, but it's a big compliment-getter. Maybe I'm just lucky in the fact that I DO love this one, AND it gets the compliments.

CK Escape maybe

Joop Nightflight

I'd say Roberto Cavalli Man (his first scent). Both ignored on this board and trashed on the review board.
    I think it's an excellent fragrance. Sparkling and refreshing opening (much like the ever-popular D&G Light Blue). The drydown is very soft, classy and comforting. The bottle is a stunner.
    Top: Bergamot, ginger, lemon
    Heart: Cedarwood, leather, lavender
    Base: Sandalwood, myrrh, musk
    What's not to like?

Looks like I got a huge lists of scents to try/retry now! I spent 3 hours at Jasina trying out lots of scents I've never heard before. One of them caught my attention - Escada Fruit Punch. It's for ladies but who cares? An effervescent tangy mix of tropical fruits. Not your usual kind of vanilla sweetness!

Btw, going a little off topic, Paco Rabanne Black XS got me interested. Calamansi and strawberries, a slightly edgy and sweet note in the middle(must be praline which they listed in their notes), something resinous smelling in the bottom which I think could be that "black amber" note. Not sure whether I should get it though... This thing might get cloying in Singapore which is like summer all through the year! And 3 other fragrances caught my attention too:Kouros which I previously mentioned. Loewe Essencia-a musty green scent. Patou pour Homme-THIS IS DA BOMB.. warm, boozy, leathery...intruiging fragrance... The person selling me the perfume(Wahida) told me how Marlen tried to buy 5 bottles of this discontinued gem and how he had Jasina ship so much fragrances to him that the shipping fee amounted to $200(around US$1200)!
    Tried Gucci Envy too and was pleasantly surprised. An intense woody fragrance perfect for romantic occasions.. but I'd rather get the other 3! Besides, I haven't had any luck with romance LOL! Hmmm.. must be all that "old man's scents" I'm wearing all the time. Oh well...

Oh, and don't be embarrassed expressing your love for hated perfumes. You're most probably perceiving a different scent than others anyway!
    That's all now... Keep an open mind and keep sniffing!
    The shipping fee was $200 US - how in the world could you think I would be nuts enough to spend $1200 on....no, no, it's true...I am that nuts!

Jasina rocks, and lemme tell ya that Black XS is some great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by scenteur7
    The shipping fee was $200 US - how in the world could you think I would be nuts enough to spend $1200 on....no, no, it's true...I am that nuts!

Jasina rocks, and lemme tell ya that Black XS is some great stuff!
    Yes! I went back to get a bottle of Black XS the day after I started this thread! Haha you're as much of a fragrance addict as you are a connoiseur! Spotted a few bottles of Patou pour Homme aftershave spray left... I much prefer the edt though!