Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Connoisseur, Aficionado, or Addict?

Which of these terms best describes your relationship with fragrance:
    - Connoisseur
    - Aficionado
    - Addict

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this subject.

Talking Re: Fragrance Connoisseur, Aficionado, or Addict?

I'm all of the above-----lol!!!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Default Re: Fragrance Connoisseur, Aficionado, or Addict?

Aficionado. I can't detect notes well enough or recognise smells to be a connoisseur, and I do not spend more than 60 minutes any given day thinking about perfume, which disqualifies me as an addict.

A cross between connoisseur and aficionado

Red face Re: Fragrance Connoisseur, Aficionado, or Addict?

I wake up thinking about frags, spend the day thinking about frags, fall to sleep thinking about frags. I`ve become so obsessed that I neglect doing things I ought to do...

I`m an addict.

None. Don't know if there is a term in english like this, but I think I'm a joy-seeker.
    Luckily, don't spend neither too much time nor too much money, have fun with great scents, contended with my possibilies of reaching new frags - this all together makes my life a bit brighter. Reading comments from other people who could possibly my friends, sometime sharing my thoughts.
    No less, no more.

"Aficionado" mainly. Although I have a bit of "Addict" also because I can't go a single day without applying some sort of fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    I wake up thinking about frags, spend the day thinking about frags, fall to sleep thinking about frags. I`ve become so obsessed that I neglect doing things I ought to do...

I`m an addict.
    without a doubt, i'm an addict, too. there are very few moments in the day when i'm /not/ thinking about my fragrances (or the ones i hope to collect soon). during the world cup yesterday, for instance, i spent nearly as much time checking out the fragrances on my arms (i was doing a comparison between l'artisan's tea for two and l'artisan's mechant loup) as i did watching the game. still, i am not blessed with a discerning nose, so i'm definitely not a connoisseur; as for being an aficionado, i'm close to that, as i am "someone who is very interested in and enthusiastic about a particular subject [fragrances]", but i lack the breadth of knowledge most of you basenoters possess. so, in summary:

i'm an addict. a helpless addict, at that.

Quote Originally Posted by musse

I`m an addict.
    Count me in to this.

OK, I'll tell you guys and gals this: I, at this point, am too lazy to look up the textbook definitions of these terms exactly, but from what i can muster within my brain:

Connoiseur: I'm not a connoiseur of scent. I sometimes have a hard time discerning notes, accords, and all the like. I usually draw comparisons on scents based on common knowledge and usually speak on descriptions in layman's terms, sometimes going as far as using ".....Frag "Y" reminds me of Frag "X" in terms of sweetness but less fruity." Connoiseurs usually don't speak so blandly.

Aficionado: Mmm....this term is a little closer to describing me. But it's not the term I'd use in front of others. It's not a BAD term.....it just comes off as being a little bit too lofty a word to be used by a person who has been told by strangers that he is reminiscent of someone found crafting a motorcycle in the Orange County Choppers garage. I mean, seriously....would you walk up to Paul Tuttle Sr. and call him a "motorcycle aficionado?" Honestly......I think he would at very least chuckle at this if not laugh out loud.

Addict: Ask a heroin addict or a heavy alcoholic to go without a fix or a drink (respectively) for five days and you can just about guarantee they would either not make it or strain themselves to the point of physical or emotional harm. I have voluntarily gone ten (10) days without wearing any fragrance whatsoever and have made it just fine. I did this just to "cleanse my pallette" in a matter of speaking. Or, as I would say: Just to get my bearings straight. I think that had I done this, but all the while been sniffing at bottles and feeling giddy or queasy, then I guess I'd consider myself addicted. But the passion and magnetism is much more subdued.

So, in conclusion........I offer that I am...........

A Fragrance Enthusiast!!

I happily glom this term from my buddy Jeff. For many years now, he has owned and ridden motorcycles. All different makes and types. From Harleys to Kawasakis, road bikes, race bikes, touring motorcycles, motocross, enduros....you name it, he's probably owned or extensively ridden any one of them. He's not brand specific. He doesn't care about image. He dresses to ride the motorcycle and be protected should something happen. He doesn't own and ride a motorcycle to fill out his being. He does so because it's part of his being and he enjoys riding. Therefore, folks will say to him: "Oh, Jeff, I din't know you were a biker!!" He politely replies, "No. I'm not a biker. I'm a Motorcycle Enthusiast!"

Well........I guess I can be a Fragrance Enthusiast AND a sniffer!!!

Aficionado, becoming a Connoisseur. I think I'll have finished the transition once I've developed what nose I've got and when I'm pretty much levelled off on sampling and buying.

If I don't slow down on buying and start having budget bumps, I'll start to worry about being an addict. When it comes to addictions/obsessions, I tend to be a chipper, though.

A combination of all three!

A young connoisseur.

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    A Fragrance Enthusiast!!
    Great term; I like it. However, it's a little broad -- I think 99% of Basenoters qualify as this

Perfumes have the same relationship as how I feel about Viennese operettas. I'm not trained musically and cannot be an opera critic. But I've listened to enough Viennese operetta to know what "that opera" or "that song" is supposed to sound like, and whether it's played in the spirit of the original or not (I'm a a purist who likes my operettas straight up with no modern twist).

Eg if they ever mess with my Dior Homme or Prada IdI in the future, I'd be able to tell.

So... don't know what the correct term for me. Aficionado is too casual. Connoisseur implies I should know the mechanics behind it (though I'm learning).

I can't call myself a Connoisseur coz im terrible at describing scents... you could call me an Addict i guess.

Holy bump batman!

That said, i'm a true fragrance addict at heart

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    A combination of all three!
    Ditto

Afficionado/addict?

Quote Originally Posted by Richie_B View Post
    OK, I'll tell you guys and gals this: I, at this point, am too lazy to look up the textbook definitions of these terms exactly, but from what i can muster within my brain:

Connoiseur: I'm not a connoiseur of scent. I sometimes have a hard time discerning notes, accords, and all the like. I usually draw comparisons on scents based on common knowledge and usually speak on descriptions in layman's terms, sometimes going as far as using ".....Frag "Y" reminds me of Frag "X" in terms of sweetness but less fruity." Connoiseurs usually don't speak so blandly.

Aficionado: Mmm....this term is a little closer to describing me. But it's not the term I'd use in front of others. It's not a BAD term.....it just comes off as being a little bit too lofty a word to be used by a person who has been told by strangers that he is reminiscent of someone found crafting a motorcycle in the Orange County Choppers garage. I mean, seriously....would you walk up to Paul Tuttle Sr. and call him a "motorcycle aficionado?" Honestly......I think he would at very least chuckle at this if not laugh out loud.

Addict: Ask a heroin addict or a heavy alcoholic to go without a fix or a drink (respectively) for five days and you can just about guarantee they would either not make it or strain themselves to the point of physical or emotional harm. I have voluntarily gone ten (10) days without wearing any fragrance whatsoever and have made it just fine. I did this just to "cleanse my pallette" in a matter of speaking. Or, as I would say: Just to get my bearings straight. I think that had I done this, but all the while been sniffing at bottles and feeling giddy or queasy, then I guess I'd consider myself addicted. But the passion and magnetism is much more subdued.

So, in conclusion........I offer that I am...........

A Fragrance Enthusiast!!

I happily glom this term from my buddy Jeff. For many years now, he has owned and ridden motorcycles. All different makes and types. From Harleys to Kawasakis, road bikes, race bikes, touring motorcycles, motocross, enduros....you name it, he's probably owned or extensively ridden any one of them. He's not brand specific. He doesn't care about image. He dresses to ride the motorcycle and be protected should something happen. He doesn't own and ride a motorcycle to fill out his being. He does so because it's part of his being and he enjoys riding. Therefore, folks will say to him: "Oh, Jeff, I din't know you were a biker!!" He politely replies, "No. I'm not a biker. I'm a Motorcycle Enthusiast!"

Well........I guess I can be a Fragrance Enthusiast AND a sniffer!!!
    Might I just say,,, damn well said good sir.

I can greatly GREATLY relate to you in every sense of the term "conniseur" being that I can't detect specific notes but I can give you similarities to another scent, "has the sweetness of ... and the spicyness of ...". Perhaps a real conniseur might be able to understand. I honestly think that it is only a matter of smelling more scents which really is more of a time and money issue before I am able to do this.

And I also agree with you on the term Fragrance Enthusiast which is what I definately am.

I am a combination of all the three plus... also a fragrance zealot, devotee, enthusiast, fanatic, savant, and last but not least -- fragrance nut.

Aficionado + Addict
    Not really a connoisseur, I still have much to sniff
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Wink Re: Fragrance Connoisseur, Aficionado, or Addict?

All of the above but, perhaps in that order.