Code of Conduct

Thread: 80'ies

Unhappy 80'ies

well...
    As I bought two weeks ago Lacoste pour homme, the original, the female manager of the shop, agreed with my saying, that, tired of the stuff they throw every month on the marked, the scents of the 80ies are still the best...(not included the nice frags offcourse...).
    ---
    Have to admit that - at least - each scent in the 80ies ws different from each other ! Not look a likes like nowerdays the aquatics, the orientals, the gourmands....Shame they discontinued a few great 80ies frags like Phileas, Alain Delon, etc...and that they changed slightly compositions like Cacharel ph, Kouros, Davidoff Cool Water. to adapt them at present times...What the f***k whas that good for ??

Ahh...Miami Vice, where art they !

Renzo

Default Re: 80'ies

Though I don't share the same passion you have for 80s scents, I still always give them a sniff everytime I go on a sniffing trip. Strong and bassy. Though everyone of them is different like what you said, they all share the same strong character which gives them a class of their own. I could never bring myself to wear them though.. Maybe a gentle guy like me just can't pull it off with an 80s frag. Antaeus is one of those I really like but never will suit me.

My love goes to 60s fragrances. GV, Habit Rouge, Eau Sauvage, Monsieur de Givenchy(though it was from 1959, I guess it was what influenced the 60s frags so I shall treat it as one) etc.. Stuff I love and wear!

Cool Good 80'ies . .

. . and not only Cindy Lauper and her "girls just wanna have fun", renzo!

Also the boys, with real-80-frags like:

Santos by Cartier >>> long lasting and heavy and expensiv!
    Uomo by Trussardi
    KL for men by Karl Lagerfeld
    Uomo by Krizia
    Boss Nr. 1 by Boss
    Bogner By Bogner
    Uomo by Fendi
    Derby by Guerlain
    Sagamore by Lancome

I don' t know how many of this frags are still on the market!

Try to get a some noose of this "Waters", and let me know whats your
    opinion!

My ten favorites in October (fragrances alphabetical):

Blenheim Bouquet Penhaligon's
    Elite Floris
    Elixir Penhaligon's
    Endymion Penhaligon's
    Essenza di Aoud Pal Zileri Collezione Privata
    F by Ferragamo
    Grey Vetiver Tom Ford
    Lords Penhaligon's
    Vetiver Fragonard
    Vetyver Givenchy

Ahh....scents from the 1980's!! The stuff of my youth! (I grew up during the 80's) Some of my faves include, but are not limited to:

Iquitos by Alain Delon. Some say this is the male version of Poison by Dior. A good comparison indeed! A fave scent and a great men's floral!

Calvin by Calvin Klein: Gotta easily be one of my all-time top five listers!! A textbook example of a classic 80's aromatic fougere.

Jacomo de Jacomo: Spices, woods, and Z-28 Camaros with T-Tops! Very rich in cinnamon and cloves with a woodsy base.

Obsession by Calvin Klein: A classic 80's-era oriental. Still in demand.

Giorgio Beverly Hills for Men: One of the richest chypres to come out of the "parachute pants" decade. Not THAT hard to find nowadays, just inhibitantly expensive due to it's discontinued status. Hello.....Giorgio Beverly Hills bosses.........? Do you like money? Is it THAT much trouble to bring this scent back out? You guys oughta look on E-Bay!

Quote Originally Posted by renzo
    well...
    As I bought two weeks ago Lacoste pour homme, the original, the female manager of the shop, agreed with my saying, that, tired of the stuff they throw every month on the marked, the scents of the 80ies are still the best...(not included the nice frags offcourse...).
    ---
    Have to admit that - at least - each scent in the 80ies ws different from each other ! Not look a likes like nowerdays the aquatics, the orientals, the gourmands....Shame they discontinued a few great 80ies frags like Phileas, Alain Delon, etc...and that they changed slightly compositions like Cacharel ph, Kouros, Davidoff Cool Water. to adapt them at present times...What the f***k whas that good for ??

Ahh...Miami Vice, where art they !

Renzo

.... and Renzo, I forget one of the mid 80s exclusive-releases:
    J-H-L by Estee Lauder!

No longer available on the Middle European Mainland Market but close similar to Estee Lauder's "Cinnabar"!

My ten favorites in October (fragrances alphabetical):

Blenheim Bouquet Penhaligon's
    Elite Floris
    Elixir Penhaligon's
    Endymion Penhaligon's
    Essenza di Aoud Pal Zileri Collezione Privata
    F by Ferragamo
    Grey Vetiver Tom Ford
    Lords Penhaligon's
    Vetiver Fragonard
    Vetyver Givenchy

Post Re: 80'ies

well Paradeiserl,
    nice list you have..
    Bogner by Bogner, don't really remember the frag...know that Bogner had several frags on the market..
    Sagamore...ahh...beautifull frag...I remember the advertising of a man against a castle.. still available in Paris, at the Lancome shop..
    Uomo by Fendi...have to rediscover it..
    and JHL, here in Belgium, cannot imagine that they brought it out ! So I don't know the smell of it..
    Seems that u in Germany had the opportunity to have it ...
    ----------------
    and yes duxoop772...I also have fantastic youth memories about the 80ies...
    don't understand why they discontinued Giorgio Beverly Hills....female version still exists...
    back than, Jacomo de Jacomo was my signature frag..at least for a few months
    ;-)

Well, I certainly would like to get Crockett/Burnett and Tubbs/Cooper back too!
    Last edited by PigeonMurderer; 2nd July 2006 at 11:26 PM.

The 80's were indeed a great period for fragrances. I still regularly wear at least four from that time--Zino Davidoff, Tuscany, Versace L'Homme and Francesco Smalto.

Obsession, Antaeus, Fahrenheit, Bijan, Quorum, were all 80's scents.

So were Eternity and Cool Water.

Hey renzo,

Stuff from the 80's are really making me look over my shoulder and trying to see what I've left behind.

I also give nods to Fendi Uomo. The chypre notes in the summer are really making it jump and, if I dare say so, it's sexy and intoxicating! Somehow the summer doesn't make the cumin sour smelling. You can find it for cheap here in the US, no complaints here. I'm totally digging it again.

Now, for some Giorgio Beverly Hills VIP Reserve!...

I was thinking the same thing yesterday: why don't they make those 80'ies-style powerhouses no more? I would love something new that just screams "CHUCK NORRIS!!!" but all we get nowadays are some watered down, semi-floral, happy-happy, cool-wave, energetic, feel good, look-at-me-I'm-a-metrosexual-just-like-Beckham types of fragrances which we'll all have forgotten about by next year...

Renzo... I feel and share your pain, Kouros for Presid... uhm, KING!!

Being a geek, I did a search for all 80s mens frags in the directory. Here are my faves:

Dunhill Edition
    Quorum
    Tuscany
    New West for Him (one of my first ever frags!)
    Eternity
    Santos
    Antaeus
    PMC
    GIT
    Cool Water (also one of my first)
    Armani EPH
    Guerlain Derby

My, my! Quite a few! What a decade!

Ged

It's no secret I'm also a big fan of 80's fragrances! I love most of them and I also think some of them should return! My question is: what did start the "aquatics" wave? Is there any specific market (that buys a lot) responsable for this situation? Or Is it that "the time they are a changin'" ?

But there was that other side to the 80s: cool black and white design, Kraftwerk's Computerwelt and my second and favorite scent of all times:
    Jil Sander Man Pure from 1981. In some ways a predecessor of later aquatics perhaps in its transparent freshness - but so much more, at least in my memory.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matire/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pntrent le verre.

PigeonMurder, funny as always....:-) ...but let me have the Ferrari...btw, did u know the black one in the first series is not a Ferrari, but an American car ?!
    ----
    and yes, Eternity and Cool Water are indeed 80ies frags...
    ----
    Let s also not forget Silver by E.Aigner, De Viris by J.Bogart, Maxims, Open R&G, the sophisticated, very elegant Armani eau pour homme (as said)...etc...
    ----
    iMaverick, I must try Fendi Uomo, seems to be a good one..
    ----
    Apekrul, can you say your last sentence in one breath ? :-))
    ----
    Rcavs, as I remember, one of the first aquatics-in-a way, wasn't it Quorum Aqua (the blue with yellow cab bottle ) ?...think it started in the early 90ies...
    But that" s an other decade...of look-a-likes, far from the original 80ies !

Although I am a relative newcomer to fragrances, I know for a fact that 80s frags are my favourites. They are so distinct. I do like other "retro" frags especially from 50's and 60's but the 80's frags are on another level. I have yet to find an insipid pathetic nonscent from the 80s.

in the 80's i wore jovan musk,halston 1-12,halston z-14,and chaz by jean-phillipe.

Hmmmmm.....let me try to remember here....there were a lot of brain cells getting burnt out back then whilst clubbing--or not.......HEY! IT WAS THE 80'S AFTERALL!

Giorgio of Beverly Hills, AND V.I.P. (which I both stupidly gave away)
    Maxims pour Homme
    Polo--the original green, of course
    Gucci Nobile
    Drakkar Noir--and still wear today
    Paul Sebastian VSOP
    Bijan for Men
    Fendi Uomo
    and occasionally Quorum--which I never owned, but if I spied it in someone else's home it was on

I still have a few sample vials of Giorgio for Men and would like to find a bottle one day, and I just can't bear the though of spending $200+ for it on eBay. For me, this is the quintessential 80's fragrance with Drakkar coming in a close second.

OH YEAH!!! MAXIMS! Now that was some good stuff!!!

Great lets add the strong colors - new romantic music and here we gooooooooo

In the 80s the stronger was the better Powerfull scent - great time

Antaeus
    Kouros
    Jacomo
    Drakkar noir
    Lagerfeld cologne

Great great classics

laurent
    Invisible Power

aahhhh...those were the days....
    already sorry that I started this tread :-( ..