Code of Conduct

Default do you know diptyque?

if you don't, it's time you were formally introdcued. i'd read a little about diptyque fragrances on basenotes, and it was enough for me to contact diptyque and request some samples. they were super helpful, and i received a package of samples (including an informative booklet) within a week's time. after experimenting with tam dao, philosykos, ead de lierre, eau d'elide, and virgilio (i still have a few more to try), i am /completely/ hooked. without a doubt, these are some of the best fragrances i've tried--yes, even among the serge lutens', montale's, and l'artisan's of the world--but the thing i want you all to know about is the longevity that each of these seems to possess. tam dao and eae de lierre just won't quit, and philosykos had extraordinary staying power. so, in summary: 1) thanks to diptyque's customer service for helping me out and turning me on to these wonderful scents, and 2) please don't hesitate to try this awesome fragrance out. i'm (pretty) certain you won't regret it.

Default Re: do you know diptyque?

The one I've tried so far is Philosykos (a sample I bought from Les Senteurs). I found it very "realistic" in resembling the broken twigs and leaves of a fig tree. It is quite dry and fresh, not that sweet for a fig. But it is short-lived on me unfortunately, and needs frequent re-application.

I would like to try the Tam Dao and have emailed Diptyque requesting a sample. Keeping fingers crossed.

I didn't care for virgilio if that is the one that smells like a christmas tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Counterpoint
    I didn't care for virgilio if that is the one that smells like a christmas tree.
    yeah, virgilio is probably at the bottom of my list of diptyques at this point. but... i think they're all worth a try. certainly, tam dao and philosykos are.

I bought a bottle of Tam Dao last week. Awesome frag.

Basenotes Plus

My favorites are Eau Lente and Tam Dao, in that order.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

I have Philosykos and absolutely love it, but wish to try some others. Where would I be able to obtain free samples?

Opôné is my favourite Diptyque, very unusual rose scent spiked with saffron.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Diptyque is a wonderful fragrance house. They also make some of the highest quality scented candles that you will ever find.

Diptyque PHILOSYKOS is one of my top favorites. It is fresh, slightly green, and includes the scent of the whole fig tree and the dry earth in which the fig tree is growing. It is beautiful, refreshing, and so pleasant. It brings to mind a gentle breeze blowing through a grove of fig trees in Greece on a hot summer day.

I recommend the very beautiful Diptyque L'OMBRE DANS L'EAU, with notes of black currants and roses along the banks of a river. Although this is a very linear scent, it is exquisitely beautiful and also very powerful and long-lasting.

Their fragrance that is reminiscent of Christmas is their first fragrance that was created: Diptyque L'EAU, with notes of cinnamon, sandalwood, rose, cloves, and Christmas pot pourri. This is also a very long-lasting fragrance.

Diptyque VIRGILIO is extremely green and reminds me of Nino Cerruti Pour Homme and also Baïme by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier. At first try, its fresh “greenness” might seem a little off-putting. But I recommend giving VIRGILIO a little time, and you might be surprised at its green beauty.

And lets not forget Diptyque EAU D'ÉLIDE, with its very unusual and beautiful accord of lavender, bitter orange, and musk. Is there any other fragrance that combines lavender, bitter orange, and musk? This fragrance is so attractive that I sometimes can’t stop myself from repeatedly sniffing it on my arm.

Diptyque OFRÉSIA was created by Olivia Giacobetti, the same nose who created Diptyque Philosykos. The freesia note is a white peppery flower on a woody base. In my opinion, this is a fine example of a white floral that is absolutely not too feminine. It is a cheerful, mentally uplifting fragrance, and it is also very long-lasting.

Diptyque OYÉDO is certainly one of the longest lasting citrus fragrances available anywhere. My impression when I wear this fragrance is that I am wearing hard sweet citrus candy. This is a fragrance with a sense of humor, and it is really a blast to wear every once in a while.
    Last edited by Rockford; 2nd July 2006 at 07:52 PM.

Does anyone know the proper pronunciation of "Philosykos"?

Quote Originally Posted by headcoat
    Does anyone know the proper pronunciation of "Philosykos"?

If you are interested in pronouncing it the way it would be pronounced in Greek, it would go something like this, with all the vowel sounds being pronounced short, exactly like you would in Spanish with the intonation falling on the "LO" syllable.

fi-LO-si-kos

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 3rd July 2006 at 04:12 AM.

My favorite is Eau Lente--Every time I wear it, I'm again surprised that a fragrance can be THAT perfect.

Many times I'm in the mood for L'Eau Trois--unrelenting herbal / myrrh / incense with no lightness. I really enjoy it.

I love all the ones I've tried:

Opone
    Eau Lente
    L'Ombre dans L'Eau
    Philosykos

High-quality raw ingredients and simplicity work extremely well for the Diptyques. I find them relatively ethereal and thought-provoking.
    Last edited by pluran; 4th July 2006 at 10:31 PM.

The subtle green Eau de Lierre is quite wonderful too. Just soft and sensual.

Yes I also love Dyptique. Have you tried Un Jardin Clos? It is
    a great Spring fragrance, lots of Lilac and smells just like a
    garden in May. I also think Phylosikos is fabulous.

I've bought L'Ombre Dans L'eau... it¡s easily one of the finest fragances i've tried so far. People around me commented how good it smelt

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    I've bought L'Ombre Dans L'eau... it¡s easily one of the finest fragances i've tried so far. People around me commented how good it smelt
    One of the greatest fragrances ever.

Diptyque is one of my very favorite houses. After reading Rockford's above reviews from 4-plus years ago I'll be wearing Oyedo very soon.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

L'Ombre dan l'Eau solid perfumes were amongst Christmas gifts I gave to couple of friends yesterday - it's a lovely scent.

My personal favourite is Eau Lente.

The candles are excellent - Opoponax is good if you like Eau Lente and the spicy orange Christmas special this year is wonderful!

Eau de Lierre is one of my favorites. Surprised it's hardly ever talked about.