Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Going back where it all started: the Classic Guerlains

After over four years of mad scent shopping and exploration I suddenly have a feeling that I'm quite happy with what I've got and have found again the scents that started my journey - the Classic Guerlains. I have been wearing them again lately and marvelled at their timeless beauty and perfection.

The big turning point in my perfume collecting/madness was when I bought my first Guerlain in 2002. At that point I already had a small collection, it consisted of Bulgari Black, Coco, Égoïste, Live Jazz, Sonia Rykiel, Sublime, Yohji, Yohji Homme (there might have been more but those are the ones I remember) but I decided I wanted to buy "a Classic" and I was pondering between Chanel no 5 and Shalimar, two biggies & bestsellers since the Twenties.

When testing the two simultaneously, Shalimar won hands down. I asked the SA's opinion (which I rarely do) and she preferred Shalimar, too. The funniest thing was she didn't recognize it because it was so soft on my skin while no 5 was instantly recognizable and its usual self. So Shalimar it was. I loved Shalimar so much I read everything about it I could find on the internet and wanted to try other Golden Age Guerlains, too.

The next one I got was L'Heure Bleue which I instantly recognized as the scent my first teacher wore. I was always looking forward the moment she would lean on my desk and I could take a deeep sniff. It did (and still does) make me feel all is well in the universe. L'HB is the most emotionally charged of Jacques Guerlain's scents. I love the story how one summer evening, during "the blue hour" he was overcome by such an intense turmoil he could only express it in perfume.

Uncle Aimé's Jicky was the next step. I still didn't have a credit card then so I had to order it at Stockmann (the local department store) who got it from France. Every single time I wear Jicky I marvel how timeless and "modern" a fragrance launched in 1889 can be! Jicky is a true never-fail fragrance, it has it all!

Mitsouko, probably the most legendary Fruity Chypre ever, was the difficult one. It took six test-drives before Mitsouko accepted me. On the first five testings it was simply nasty, very cat-peeish. I gave up many a time but because it was a creation of "St Jacques" (that's how I call Jacques Guerlain, no mere mortal could have created that amount of otherwordly beautiful and unique scents) I couldn't give up. My patience was finally awarded and nowadays we get along smoothly. Mitsouko has character, you have to be in the mood for it.

Vol de Nuit was instant love for me and it has loved me back. One of the loveliest Woody Orientals there is. Last summer I packed it with me for a work trip and it was a perfect choice: elegant and confident with just the right amount of mystery.

Way too long I dismissed Après l'Ondée as a dress rehearsal for L'Heure Bleue. I got my tester bottle from a sale just for the sake of getting it and when I wore it for the first time, I found how lovely it is. Much more Floral and "romantic" than my usual favourites but a delight to wear, very "fragile and feminine", ethereal Sylphide scent.

No matter how much I love my Annick Goutals, Carons, CdGs, Etros, Gobin Daudés, L'Artisans, Serge Lutenses and all others, these six are what I always return to.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Going back where it all started: the Classic Guerlains

Wonderful post Tigs and so true!

I quickly became a Guerlain addict a few years back when I re-tried the amazing Habit Rouge and then Jicky. I have so many now and wouldn't part with a one of them!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Going back where it all started: the Classic Guerlains

Thanks, CoL!

"There is a light that never goes out..."

BN better than ever
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Beautiful thoughts. We appreciate that you were moved to remind us about St. Jacques. I, too, am in awe of the timelessness of Jicky.
    Monarch butterflies require milkweed to prevent extinction

Great, post! This thread looks very promising indeed! :-)

I found the Guerlains as my first fragrances, and I am afraid I just never moved on from there. I love other classics too, but the Guerlains have a complexity I don't find anywhere else.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Tiggy, beautiful, elequent post! You hit the nail on the head. Of course you know that I've been a Guerlainaholic for quite some time, too. No. 5, No. 22, Parure, Shalimar, Jicky, Mitsouko, Vol de Nuit, and L'Heure Bleue are in my collection. I've pretty much come to a dead end in my collection and am enjoying what I have (and giving the ones I simply don't like at all to my husband, who uses them as car deodorizers). MItsouko is just not me and when I get around to it, I'll put it a post in the swap meet.

No matter how much I love my Annick Goutals, Carons, CdGs, Etros, Gobin Daudés, L'Artisans, Serge Lutenses and all others, these six are what I always return to.
    It's so interesting you say that, because I keep thinking that it's so futile with the infinite number of perfumes out there, to even begin to know what to get, etc. But I really think that I would be perfectly content if I limited my perfume buying to Guerlain. Lord knows that won't actually happen, but it certainly is a thought

Post Thanks / Like

I too love Guerlain and have a bunch of them. I started with Shalimar because my Mom wore it and therefore I knew I liked it. I replaced several bottles that I used up over time. My next Guerlain was Nahema which I could not find in the USA and had to buy overseas (pre-Internet). Again I have had several bottles. More recently I have discovered and loved Vol de Nuit and Mistsouko.

I am still having a problem with L'Heure Bleue which my mind tells me I really should love. I own a bottle and am waiting to to open my eyes one morning and say to myself: "duh, what was my problem?".

What is amazing is how different all of these scents are while at the same time thay seem to have that common Guerlain feel. Guerlain is fabulous.

Krysia

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The classic Guerlains are really more like scent poems than anything else. You can't just spritz them on like some Escada-of-the-year and run off to the beach party. You have to listen to them carefully and when you do, you and those around you become, well, captivated! My whole family have become classic Guerlain addicts. I do wear other scents, particularly when I'm in a rush or want something simple I don't have to think about much, but the old Guerlains are in a class by themselves, and whenever I'm alone and contemplating life the universe, I'm wearing one of them. Thanks for your wonderful essay, you really said it well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

Though I love Caron scents as much as Guerlains, to me the difference is that Carons are somehow more prestigious, more demanding, more "special occasion".

To me the big part of the beauty of Guerlains is their accessibility and wearability: they are for everyone and work with casual clothing, you can even wear them with jeans if you want to and feel like it.

Classic Chanel scents are unquestionably great but the problem for me is that I find them distant: they demand immaculate, almost military spotless whiter than white elegance, you've got to be "perfect" to wear them and I'm not that perfect, far from it. I find Guerlains (and even Carons) much more friendly and "forgiving".

Guerlain is almost a white, undiscovered spot on my fragrance map. And for some reason I keep pushing their fragrances in front of me instead of ordering some decants and try them out. The only ones I'm familiar with are Habit Rouge (I have no idea what concentration), Vetiver and L'Instant pour Femme. I think that is it.

I get intimidated when I check out the list of fragrances this house is responsible for. The heavy names and the amount of them! Enough to get me scared...
    Last edited by shifts; 3rd July 2006 at 09:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    To me the big part of the beauty of Guerlains is their accessibility and wearability: they are for everyone and work with casual clothing, you can even wear them with jeans if you want to and feel like it.
    I agree the Guerlains have more of a bohemian, almost "arty" quality to them.

Thanks for the lovely post! You sum up so many things that are special about this house, and about the scents! Guerlain is, and I think will always be, the house that fascinates me the most. Jicky is special for me, since it was the first perfume that, just by its name and the story around it, had me interested in the history and power of a perfume. I ordered the EdT blind just to own it, and my first thought (when I had got over that it didn´t come in the same shape as the perfume bottle...stupid unexperienced me), was "when dare I wear this". I have become braver with it. I wear it now and then, and I enjoy wearing it more and more. Shalimar is the lovliest of the ones I know. Especialy since I got to know the perfume strenght. Actually, it´s either perfume, or Shalimar light for me, if I am going to wear it. I suspect my miniature will last me long; I find it so rich, only little drop is needed every time. I so agree with what you say about L´Heure Bleu; this perfume is a bottled expression of sentiments, lights, colors, moods. Seriously, there are not many perfumes that have that effect on me. Chamade, though from late 60´s, beneith that sparkling young first impression, posesses the true quality and that unmistakable base structure of a classic old-style Guerlain. My boss, a stylish, slightly excentric, very sweet and hearty lady, has Mitsouko as her signature, so this perfume is very conected with her, and her selection of working-dresses.

And I just know that I will buy Vol de Nuit and Après L´Ondée blind one of these days

Wonderful post! I love all these! Mitsouko (parfum) is my favorite, although I probably wear Jicky more (I find it very calming).

Talking Re: Going back where it all started: the Classic Guerlains

HEY Tigs!

Just wanted to say it sounds like you've just gotten your MASTERS in Perfume and graduated Magna cum lauda!

Post Thanks / Like

Always love your intelligent posts Tigs!

Sadly, for me, the only classic Guerlain I can wear is Shalimar- but she never fails to get me at least one compliment every time I wear her. Whenever I wear Shalimar I can't help asking myself, even for just one second, "Why would I ever need another perfume?" Of course I know the answer to that question! However, Shalimar is so beautiful, it's no wonder I always ask the question anyway.

The House of Caron for me is over-the-top formal. Their fragrances tend to make me feel like a slob- like someone caught picking their nose in the reflection of a gilded mirror (ewwww!) So far I have yet to find one that I feel at home and comfortable in.

Chanel, on the other hand I find way casual. No 5 parfum? Bois des Iles parfum? Both perfect with a white shirt, jeans, low sandals and wind-blown hair. Funny how we perceive scents!
    Respond intelligently even to unintelligent treatment.
    - Lao Tzu

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Going back where it all started: the Classic Guerlains

Classic Chanel scents are unquestionably great but the problem for me is that I find them distant: they demand immaculate, almost military spotless whiter than white elegance, you've got to be "perfect" to wear them and I'm not that perfect, far from it. I find Guerlains (and even Carons) much more friendly and "forgiving".
    I totally agree on this!

I have yet many Guerlains to try, but my favourite Mitsouko will be hard to beat!
    One I don`t get very well along with is Apres l`Ondee; I find it cloying and sticky, and too much, althou the notes indicate that I should like it...

Thanks for your post, Tigs! Very enjoyable reading.
    Last edited by musse; 3rd July 2006 at 09:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

When I initially tried to love Guerlain I tried the newer fragrances, Samsara (in the early 90s), Champs Elysees and L'Instant. I really liked Samsara and bought a couple of full bottles of it over the years. I tried L'Heure Bleue and found it terrifying. I disliked Champs Elysees and L'Instant, so my interest in Guerlains dwindled. Then I tried Nahema...and Vol de Nuit...and L'Heure Bleue...and Chamade...and Chant d'Aromes and I was blown away. I find Vol de Nuit to be especially exquisite and impelling. Now, L'Heure Bleue is disarming in its ability to stir severe emotions, and it's utterly beautiful.

I've loved Shalimar my entire life and I don't know when I didn't have a bottle of it. I have Mitsouko parfum, which is in my special cabinet of collectibles. In addition, I love Aqua Allegoria Pampelune, Aqua Allegoria Lavande Velours and Lilia Bella.

Someday I hope to try Après L'Ondée.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for your comments again, nice to see there are so many friends of Guerlain!

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Guerlain is almost a white, undiscovered spot on my fragrance map.
    I highly recommend Jicky to you, Shifts! If you love it, you can progress from there, Shalimar would be the logical next step since its prototype was Jicky spiked with a huge amount of vanillin.

Quote Originally Posted by Artisankey
    Always love your intelligent posts Tigs!
    Thanks, Key! The feeling is mutual.

The House of Caron for me is over-the-top formal. Their fragrances tend to make me feel like a slob- like someone caught picking their nose in the reflection of a gilded mirror (ewwww!)
    Too funny!!!

I see Carons more like vintage accessories that are outrageously grand on their own but look fabulous when combined with modern/casual clothes.

Chanel, on the other hand I find way casual. No 5 parfum? Bois des Iles parfum? Both perfect with a white shirt, jeans, low sandals and wind-blown hair. Funny how we perceive scents!
    You said it!

The only Chanel I could imagine with jeans is Cristalle (which I don't like at all) and even then the shirt and jeans would have to be squeaky clean and freshly ironed... and accessorized with real pearls but yeah, that's just me.

Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by pluran; 27th October 2007 at 07:35 AM.

I highly recommend Jicky to you, Shifts! If you love it, you can progress from there, Shalimar would be the logical next step since its prototype was Jicky spiked with a huge amount of vanillin.
    Thanks a lot for the advice! I've seen a fragrance store here carrying some Guerlains and I'll go there later on today to seek out what they have there. I also forgot to write in agreement with the others that the first post of yours is EXCELLENT and very inspiring. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Shifts, here's the Jicky/Shalimar story in Swedish: http://www.shenet.se/ravaror/vanillin.html

It's also on Javaslublu: http://www.javaslublu.com/jp/Guerlain/Shalimar.html

Shifts, here's the Jicky/Shalimar story in Swedish: http://www.shenet.se/ravaror/vanillin.html

It's also on Javaslublu: http://www.javaslublu.com/jp/Guerlain/Shalimar.html
    Thanks!

Oh buddy, you can't go wrong with Jicky!
    My advice it to test both edt and edp, but imo the latter is the best!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Magnifiscent
    Oh buddy, you can't go wrong with Jicky!
    My advice it to test both edt and edp, but imo the latter is the best!
    I have both EdT and PdT (which is discontinued but practically the same as EdP) and must say I prefer the latter, too.

But Jicky parfum extrait is on the top of my wishlist!

Post Thanks / Like

I do agree with all your comments above Tig, especially about the Chanel's
    being somewhat unapproachable. I love Jicky and Shalimar so much, have an on/off relationship with Mitsouko, don't really enjoy Samsara and have just ordered Jardins de Bagatelle off e-bay having sniffed it in France last week.
    Have you tried this one yet? Awesome IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kewart
    have just ordered Jardins de Bagatelle off e-bay having sniffed it in France last week.
    Have you tried this one yet? Awesome IMO.
    I have tried JdB but it's a white floral and I rarely like white florals. Same goes for Jean-Paul Guerlain's scents in general: the only ones I like are Habit Rouge (which reminds me of Shalimar Light...) and occasionally Samsara. The rest just don't appeal to me.

When it comes to Guerlain, Jacques has got my number...

I am wild for Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, Jicky and L'Heure Bleue! I have mixed rapport with Mitsouko and Chamade. AND I don't think I could be without Vetiver...I layer rose scents with it during the summer.

Beautiful post and an inspiration for me to "get back to basics" and STOP BUYING!

"The House of Caron for me is over-the-top formal. Their fragrances tend to make me feel like a slob- like someone caught picking their nose in the reflection of a gilded mirror (ewwww!) So far I have yet to find one that I feel at home and comfortable in.

Chanel, on the other hand I find way casual. No 5 parfum? Bois des Iles parfum? Both perfect with a white shirt, jeans, low sandals and wind-blown hair. Funny how we perceive scents!"

I'll say! To me, and ON me, the Chanels are like maniquins...exaggeratedly perfect and cold! Cristalle is the only one I can wear. I find the Carons to be sultry and livelier...Nocturne, Parfum Sacre, Nuit de Noel and Narcisse Noir are very accessible. Farnesiana, too.
    Last edited by Zibeline; 10th July 2006 at 10:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by musse
    One I don`t get very well along with is Apres l`Ondee; I find it cloying and sticky, and too much, althou the notes indicate that I should like it...
    I'm wearing Après l'Ondée today and I think the "difficult" note in it is either cassia flower or the combo of cassia flower and violet because I wore FM Une Fleure de Cassie on Saturday and it has that same smell. There are days when I find it off-putting but sometimes I rather like it. It's very distinctive!

Explorator Dumpsterorum
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyable post, tigrushka!

My first Guerlain was in 1971 and I was already a fairly sophisticated perfume lover.

The first one was Chamade and it was a gift from a someone who knew how much I loved perfumes.

It was like a whole new world opened up to me. I still remember the sensation of smelling its shimmering greenness.

After that, I sought out the others and shortly discovered int his order:
    Mitsouko (probably my favourite perfume of all time)
    Shalimar
    L'Heure Bleue (this one took longer to like. Finally, the parfum grabbed onto me)
    Parure
    Jicky
    Vol de Nuit ( I remember buying Jicky and Vol de Nuit in a lovely little perfume shop in the centre of Vienna)
    Chant d'Aromes
    and then all the others.
    Of the modern ones, I like Samsara in parfum and Mahora.
    Guerlain.

I have recently tried Vega and love that one too.

But it is the collection of classics from my yout that I still go back to again and again, the triumvirate of Chamade, Mitsouko and Shalimar. (Okay, I'll add Jicky to this) I am never without the parfum in these and I go back to them both when I am happiest and when I am sad and need comforting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many thanks for your lovely post, Hilda Rosa!

You might want to join us wearing Vega on Saturday 5 August, more info in this thread: http://community.basenotes.net/showt...=183718&page=4
    Last edited by tigrushka; 14th July 2006 at 04:27 PM.

Wearing Habit Rouge today, I have to praise the lovely drydown. It really is nice when it has settled down.....a little like cotton embedded Shalimar with a twist.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm rather new to the older Guerlain classics....Where I live the only ones available is L'instant,Shalimar,Shalimar light and Samsara.I bought Shalimar some years ago and really like itLast christmas I got the opportunity to try Mitsouko as well,since I got it in a mini collection for christmas.I'm quite curious about classics like L'heure bleue and Vol de nuit. I'm glad I came across this website,cause maybe now I can actually get the oportunity to try some other Guerlains too

Post Thanks / Like

Oh:O silly me!I've also tried Champs elycee...

Tigrushka, thanks for starting this informative and interesting thread.
    I had just been thinking to myself that I could marry the house of Caron, it seems that each fragrance I have sampled delights and engages me for different reason. (with the exception perhaps of French Can Can - too sweet, too simple) And then there was that disappointing encounter I had with Mitsouko...I still cannot approach her, though she sits on my dresser in her pretty bottle with the fancy cap.
    Your post is making me wonder if I should try L'heure blue or Shalimar , hmmm...
    Thanks.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am another Guerlain Devotee and like Tigs it is those created under the eye of St Jacques that own my heart.

However, my complete surrender to all things Guerlain was precipitated by one of their modern beauties, the sadly discontinued , Aqua Allegoria Winter Delice.

I had known and loved Samsara before and had sniffed Shalimar and found it too much but Winter Delice spoke to my heart. I usually only wear it in cold winter weather (especially around christmas time) and everytime I do it is as haunting, beautiful, complex and seductive as it was the first time I wore it. It is SO me. I am comfortable in my own skin and at peace with the world when I wear it. Another HG.

I was so amazed at this simple complex elegant gourmand wood scent which was at once very modern and timeless, I knew I had to have more, discover more, scents created by those who had created this scent.

That was a few years ago now and I haven't looked back! LOL! I now own quite a few Classic Guerlains (and some modern ones) in different / multiple strengths and I shall not allow myself to be without the following:

Shalimar
    Vol de Nuit - I NEED the parfum in this! Love the PdT more every time I wear it but find it annoyingly fleeting.
    Chamade
    Champs-Elysees - chose me
    Samsara
    Coriolan
    Eau de Coq - wonderful delicate orange blossom eaux
    L'Heure Bleue (preferrably parfum)
    Vetiver - wonderful earthy leathery tobacco based scent
    Chant D'Aromes - Inspired by Carven Ma Griffe a perfect warm weather chypre

I also own other Classics but find they are not so 'necessary' to me:
    Nahema - Amazingly vibrant, sophisticated roses
    Habit Rouge
    Heritage (Hubby nicked this from me)
    Eau de Cologne Imperiale - fresh but fleeting
    Apres L'Ondee - very beautiful but plays like a less complex, fair weather alternative to Caron's Nuit de Noel on my skin. I love it but truly love NdN more.
    Parure - plummy dove coloured velvet chypre

You may have noticed that Mitsouko is not on either list though I own it. This is because I am still trying to come to terms with the wanton destruction that Guerlain has wreaked on this treasure - in the name of progress.

I truly wished they had given me the choice to make my own decision by labelling perfume packaging rather then substituting blatantly inadequate alternatives under the same name. I don't know when the official change over was / is to occur but I have noticed that the last two bottles I purchased (1 EDT, 1 parfum) bore marked differences from my other previous bottles. I am hoping that the plasticity I detected is just because the oakmoss is 'fresh' and that the signature haunting mistiness that characterises Mitsouko will develop over a little time. But I am not hopeful.

So I am resolved to stock up on vintage bottles at greater cost or to stop wearing this wonder which was one of the greatest gems in Guerlain's crown. I know there have been others scarred by this legislation: Vol de Nuit, Chant D'Aromes, but Mitsouko I believe it the one whose very nature will be transformed the most dramatically and negatively, by it.

Others that would be worse off for the change, have sadly been (or are due to be) discontinued. One example of this is Parure.

What price progress?
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for this thread, dear Tigs..."Back to Basics" is always a good idea for me! I've been on a mad discovery journey here lately...

Being a "frag hag" (thank you, Quarry) for some sixty years (gasp!) reading the names in these posts has been like (or better than) a high school reunion.:bounce:

Had forgotten about lovely Chamade - and Jardin de Bagatelles - Habit Rouge et al. LIVE in L'Heure Bleu (except on work days because it gives the Boss Lady a headache) with the occasional walk down Champs Elysees.

In my NYC days was a Caron fan - still sneak back there evry once in a while.

Thanks to ALL of you for helping me understand why!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moondeva
    I know there have been others scarred by this legislation: Vol de Nuit, Chant D'Aromes, but Mitsouko I believe it the one whose very nature will be transformed the most dramatically and negatively, by it.
    My two favorite classic Guerlains--which are also two of my favorite perfumes in the whole world--are Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit. The reformulations upset me tremendously.

Smile Re: Going back where it all started: the Classic Guerlains

Wonderful post! I have so much I could say about it, my biggest problem is to write english ...
    As you see, I AM a Guerlain-Lover, and will always be. I started with Shalimar when I was only 19, Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue some later. I feel special when I'm wearing this beauties. I haven't been wearing Mitsouko for at least 15 years. Wten I tested my new bottle this summer, it was to tuff for me! What "tigrushka" says about it is really true. I think I have to give it a try again and again - maybe Mitsouko will accept me again.

I have several of Guerlain now, but still there is a lot on my wish-list.
    My latest is Vol De Nuit and Parure. Almost like they where made for me, they went right to my heart. I have ordered small bottles of Nahema and Jicky, can't almost wait to try them. The next will be Liu and Après l'Ondée I think.
    Thank you again for a wonderful post tigrushka

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Going back where it all started: the Classic Guerlains

Tigrushka, your post was pure poetry. Guerlain IS the fragrance house to buy from. I will try pretty much anything, but I keep going back to the classic Guerlains. I think it is because they are so different. Alot of the older fragrance house really mixed it up with their scents ie: Chanel and YSL - but alot of the new scents being released are the classics but 'eau legere' or 'Light' or 'Summer'. I say leave them alone

I must say Samsara was my first Guerlain. I got it with a gift sample when I was a teenager and I new I was smelling something sacred. At that stage, in (the late 80's, early '90s) 'Red Door' and 'Vanderbilt' were my fragrances. But Samsara really spoke to me. Soon after, Shalimar was in my collection and I have only recently discovered Mitsouko. I must say the Parfum is the only way to go with the mysterious Mitsouko. She is a bit too dry for me in the EDT. Nahema is stunning, absolutely cream over roses. Really hard to get in Aus but still in negotiations with my credit card.

(If anybody can point me in the right direction to buy some Parfum decants of Guerlain, I would be forever in your debt).

Guerlain is class personified but as others have also noted - not snobby.
    I can see a Mitsouko lady horse riding with her children then at a $1000 a plate dinner party. A Samsara miss giving lectures at Uni all day then night clubbing in the mosh pit with her friends.

There is no pre conceptions of what or who you are with Guerlain - just feminine and downright lucky to wear one of the blessed scents.
    Almost brings a tear to the eye :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Guerlain girl too -- though I've been branching out of late, this is the house I always seem to come back to. There'ye not trendy, so they don't get tired. Nahema was my first love (and still a favorite), Champs Elysees is one of the few florals I've ever really enjoyed wearing, and wearing Samsara is the olifactory equivalent of a favorite sweater -- all about warmth and comfort. I love Rose Barbare -- smells like sin, in the best possible way, but it calls for a more soigné lifestyle than mine.

Shalimar is one of those fragrances I've known forever -- I'm glad to have a parfum mini for occassional wear, but, like Chanel No. 5, it comes with too much baggage to ever feel like mine. L'Instant is the only Guerlain so far that I really dislike (smells like Duncan Hines batter on me).

I'm still getting to know Apres L'Ondee (nice and gentle, but does anyone else get Desitin Ointment in the top note?) and Misouko (where's the spice!? Is the bottle old, or is my nose broken?). Will have to catch up with Jicky, Vol de Nuit and Chamade some time soon!
    Last edited by coumarin; 1st November 2006 at 11:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Many thanks for your posts, everyone!