Code of Conduct

Default Australian Weather and Corresponding Frag.

Hey guys. So I should be leaving soon (about a month or so) to head to work in Melbourne, Down Under, for anywhere from 6-8 months. I'm trying to decide what to bring (or just bring them all) and/or buy before my trip (though I know I should probably just be saving cash). I know the seasons are reversed from what they are here in the states, but does anyone know what the weather will be like, and which fragrances would go nicely in the respective seasons (say, from August to March, which I'm guessing is about end-of-winter to summer/fall). I have Philosykos on the way (one of my favorites for any time), and am strongly considering purchasing Tea for Two(immediately, and I think I know where Envyus will stand on this) and Jack Black Black Mark (maybe later).

Here is my wardrobe: http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2114

could you tell me what I should bring or what would be appropriate to have in my collection over there, or, since I'll be there so long, if I should just pack them all (which kinda worries me for travel, but I don't know if I could go without some for that long, especially Agatha Jade and CSP Vanille Pineapple). Also, any other travel tips, places to visit suggestions, or anything pertaining to Australia and it's weather (approx. temp in August so I know how to pack/what to wear departing a summer place here) would be really appreciated, as I have almost no idea what to expect. Thanks in advance, have a great day.

-Ian

Default Re: Australian Weather and Corresponding Frag.

Hi Ian,
    At least you'll be missing the worst of our weather (June/July).
    Melbourne in famous for its changeable four seasons-in-one day weather, and the inability of the weather bureau to predict it accurately.

August - Coldish, maximum typically 17 or 18 Celsius, but can creep up to 22 to 24 sometimes.

September - One nice week 20 - 25 Celsius, followed by three nasty weeks of wet, changeable weather (unless it's a drought year) and there can be a few 30 degree days.

October - Usually warming up (low to mid 20s) in the beginning, a few hot 30 to 33 degree days towards the end. Lots of showers in between.

November - 25 to 30 degree days, coupled with changeageable 20 degree days.

December - usually starts getting hot. Lots of 30 degree or more days, although some cold years it just hangs around 22 for most of the month.

January/ February - usually hot and getting hotter. We had two 43 degree days last year. Unlike other parts of the country, there is sometimes a pattern - 21 degrees, 23 to 27 over a couple of days, then 30 to 35 for a couple of days, then a thunderstorm, cool change, and back to 21 degrees. But some summers are more moderate, some are more extreme.

March - this year it was warm high 20s, sunny weather for most of March. Other years it can turn cold and wet fairly quickly in March, and beach weather ends abruptly.

April - starting to cool down, unless it gets warm.

You can bring your favourite allergy pills if you want, but you don't have to, as our chemists are stocked to the hilt with over the counter hayfever pills and sprays. Our north winds bring the hot weather, and a stack of pollen which leaves many people sneezing and teary eyed.

Hope you enjoy your stay in the city that regularly is scored among the first or second most liveable city in the world.
    Renato

Thanks, Renato.

Any suggestions for fragrances for the above weather forecasts?

-Ian

Hi again,
    On stinking hot days - forget your Artisans, go for good strong citrusy, aquatic or other summer designer scents - Chrome, Laguna, Zipped Sport, Tommy T, Unbound, L'Eau D'Issey, Green Jeans etc.

And look at the bright side, on those really changeable days, you can appropriately wear all of your summer and winter and fall and spring scents!
    Renato

Renato would be more qualified than I as I live in sunny Queensland (beautiful one day, perfect the next as the saying goes!)

In terms of frags, T4T sounds great for Melbourne melancholy weather. In your current drobe, Pi and Code should add enough to get you through winter.

For summer (and yes Melbourne can have heatwaves hotter than Brisbane) bring your GIT and maybe treat yourself to a few purchases in Duty Free - Guerlain Vetiver, Chanel Allure Sport, Bvlgari PH and Armani EPH would all go well.

Philosykos will serve you well all year round.

As the time comes closer, the australian contingent can give you heaps more advice on places to go, things to do, etc depending on what you like. For example one of my major interests is wine and food, we can also advise on sporting events, culture, nature, etc

Let us know what you're interested in,

Ged

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    Renato would be more qualified than I as I live in sunny Queensland (beautiful one day, perfect the next as the saying goes!)

Ged
    True a lot of the time Ged, but let's face it - you may have much better Autumns, Winters and Springs than Melbourne, but we have the better Summers - we don't get the perpetual thunderstorms, cyclones and 100% humidity days that Queensland gets that time of year.

I take 10 weeks vacation every summer, and people inevitably ask me where I'm going. To which I reply "Nowhere ..... why on earth would I want to leave Melbourne?"

The only better place in Summer is Perth - dry hot days, the best beaches and a cool breeze every night at 6 o'clock. Shame it's so far away.

Just curious, how come you're not partial to the strong citruses and marine scents? I'd have thought them a staple up your way.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato
    True a lot of the time Ged, but let's face it - you may have much better Autumns, Winters and Springs than Melbourne, but we have the better Summers - we don't get the perpetual thunderstorms, cyclones and 100% humidity days that Queensland gets that time of year.

I take 10 weeks vacation every summer, and people inevitably ask me where I'm going. To which I reply "Nowhere ..... why on earth would I want to leave Melbourne?"

The only better place in Summer is Perth - dry hot days, the best beaches and a cool breeze every night at 6 o'clock. Shame it's so far away.

Just curious, how come you're not partial to the strong citruses and marine scents? I'd have thought them a staple up your way.
    Renato

Yeah it does get very humid here - unfortunately not many thunderstorms for the last few years - we are in a bad drought and Brisbane's main dam is getting empty! Oh well it's a good way to get through 30+ bottles as soon we won't be having showers!!!

Yeah I'm very partial to citrus, but not so much ozonal / marine scents. My staples for summer rotation are:

Dunhill Edition
    Bvlgari PH
    Eau Sauvage
    FM Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Essenza di Zegna
    Armani EPH
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Zanzibar

With that many frags that I love so much, I don't really have room for the ozonal / marine scents (although I'd consider Bvlgari Aqua, Z Zegna and AdG as nice enough frags to buy, just don't have the time to wear them and think the above offer more originality)

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    Yeah it does get very humid here - unfortunately not many thunderstorms for the last few years - we are in a bad drought and Brisbane's main dam is getting empty! Oh well it's a good way to get through 30+ bottles as soon we won't be having showers!!!

Yeah I'm very partial to citrus, but not so much ozonal / marine scents. My staples for summer rotation are:

Dunhill Edition
    Bvlgari PH
    Eau Sauvage
    FM Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Essenza di Zegna
    Armani EPH
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Zanzibar

With that many frags that I love so much, I don't really have room for the ozonal / marine scents (although I'd consider Bvlgari Aqua, Z Zegna and AdG as nice enough frags to buy, just don't have the time to wear them and think the above offer more originality)
    Hi Ged,
    Interesting choices for your climate. To me it's curious that you and many others like Guerlain's and other vetivers for summer. With the exception of the very citrusy Carven Vetiver, I always think them better as cold weather scents. I'll give them a go this summer out of curiosity.

I just came back from Myers where they'd just put a bunch of specials out - Zanzibar EDT, aftershave etc was discounted. But at $55 for the 100ml bottle I passed (preferring instead the 75ml bottle and deodorant stick of Sexual for $20, and 50ml bottle of Escada Magnetism for $22 ). Worth having a look if there is one of their shops in your area.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 5th July 2006 at 06:37 AM.