Code of Conduct

Default Terre D'Hermes - Summer's Essence

I realized today that the scents I’ve purchased for summer wear (Biggarade Concentree, Bulgari por Homme Extreme, Azzarro Pure Vetiver, Azzarro Chrome, etc.) are great, but they are “hot weather” scents, not “summer scents”. What’s the difference? My argument revolves around a simple but powerful observation:

Summer, is HOT.

Summer is hot folks. Its not cool, dry, ozonic and watery. Depending on your location, it’s hot, humid, and stifling. But we still manage to have good times during the hot days of summer. We drink cool beverages, savor cool breezes; we get really hot, then jump in the water and get cool again. Summer is combination of heavy and light sensations, and good times had by all during.

This interplay of sensations is what Terre D’ Hermes has nailed.

The “hot weather” frags listed above attempt to compensate for the summer heat. TDH, on the contrary, embraces it! The topnotes are a combination of heavy woods and citrus. The first nanosecond of each sniff is heavy, like a warm, humid summer day. But just before your brain starts to generate the “stifling” message, here comes the fresh, edgy, surprising citrus notes, like a cool breeze, or tall glass of lemonade, cutting through the summer heat, but not completely rescuing you from it.

It reminds me of when I’m sitting by the pool. I can’t decide if I’m comfortable or not, there all hot and sticky with a cold drink in my hand, but I know I’m having a good time.

Or, try this scenario. You’re zipping down the road on a hot sweltery day. You’ve got the top down or sunroof open and the hot air is blowing in. But you’ve also got the air conditioner blasting. So you get a mixture of hot and cool air beating across your face. The heat, humidity and smell of the outdoors contrasted with the cool dry air of the air conditioner.

That’s summer, my friends. You can go through summer indoors under the a/c, or you can get out there, have fun, and manage the heat. That to me is Terre D’ Hermes, celebrating and embracing summer instead of running from it.

All that said, I can't wait for fall. It's just too damn hot down here!

Last edited by OlfaOmega; 5th August 2006 at 10:18 PM.
    There is no Nose....

Default Re: Terre D'Hermes - Summer's Essence

It's not as hot where I live but I blast away with Terre D'Hermes frequently. I've gone through a quarter of a big bottle lately.

Primo stuff. Comes alive in the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    Primo stuff. Comes alive in the heat.
    Absolutely. It lives for the heat.
    There is no Nose....

Absolutely. As I sprayed TDH this morning my first thought was - it smells exactly like wet soil after warm summer rain.

I love its wooded notes as you get to last part of the drydown (definitely takes a while), but my small complaint about it is that disappears and reappears at the oddest moments. I do get a bit irritated with the citrus notes, probably because it's been smeared across dry arid notes. Not quite as balanced as Eau des Merveilles. It smells like I've been abandoned in a lumberyard in the desert holding a bowl full of orange peels. It's a bit melancholic if you ask me and not as dreamy-headed as the marketing suggests, but remarkable in the way this scent can paint a picture this way with me.
    Last edited by iMaverick; 4th July 2006 at 02:37 AM.

I got a sample of this today.......WOW. This is absolutely astounding. I will HAVE to get this VERY soon. I think this will be great all year around, but in Mississippi we only have two seasons, summer and lesser summer.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

Terre d'Hermès is wonderful. It could be good all year round, but is great for the summer especially. Currently my number one favourite scent, and I think it will become a long term classic.

I believe I smelled it at work today. But I was walking down an empty hallway so it may have been frag deja vu.
    There is no Nose....

I just love TDH and it is my holy grail. I have creeds and other niche stuff but TDH is the ultimate fresh and masculine fragrance. I will always have it, always!

Totaly agree, I've thought all along that this is a classic masterpiece.
    Citrus, hot earth, pine, wood and resins....Fantastic for summer!!!
    Can't wait to try Fire Island tho.

I'm with you on this one. I had been searching and searching for 'my scent' this summer and it was right here all the time TdH. I seem to wear it every other day now. But... I'm going to try FI tomorrow too...but I don't get that it will be a regular wear...

I just received it today, can't wait to try it out tonight.

I like TdH a great deal... I've said so before.

... still, sometimes that big caustic ORANGE note is like stomach acid!!!

I do find myself wearing it often because I like the drydown so much. But sometimes just smelling it, I want to break out the Pepsid AC!

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    I like TdH a great deal... I've said so before.

... still, sometimes that big caustic ORANGE note is like stomach acid!!!

I do find myself wearing it often because I like the drydown so much. But sometimes just smelling it, I want to break out the Pepsid AC!
    It's funny you mention that! I've also experienced that 'annoying' tone and would describe it as stomach acid too. It can really be rather bothering, although the rest of the fragrance is just really nice.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Ik heb een buikpijn!!!

--how's my Dutch, Brotha G?

And how do you say "Terre D'Hermes SMELLS like a stomach ache?

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 8th July 2006 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    Ik heb een buikpijn!!!

--how's my Dutch, Brotha G?

LOL, that is hilarious I'm changing your name from Indie Guy to Dutchie Guy. "Terre D'Hermes SMELLS like a stomach ache?" = "Terre d'Hermes ruikt naar buikpijn!"
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

[/QUOTE]

yep. as much as i respect all you basenoters out there who love tdh, i have to disagree with the endorsements listed above for the sake of the new readers who may be apt to blind buy tdh. tdh is /far/ too dirty/earthy for my tastes, so i would suggest to those interested in purchasing tdh to get a sample first. please, pretty please.

Well, the opening blast of what smells to me like grapefruit is a bit intense, but it dies away quickly and you're left with a really intriguing scent hat lasts and lasts. I keep catching whiffs of it throughout the day, which I love. Reminds me of L'Artisan's Timbuktu--it has a pungency and sharpness to it, but it's all kept in balance. Although I wasn't crazy about it the first time I tried it, I have to admit that Terre d'Hermes has grown on me over the weeks, and I now feel very comfortable wearing it.