Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Default Lust, Angel Rose, Apricot Fig, Cassis & Rose, Summer Hill, Fleur de Vigne

Just back from the mall and thought I'd share some thoughts.

Gendarme 7 Sinful Scents-Lust: According to Sephora, "Lust begins with a smooth spiciness, reminiscent of leather's alluring sheen." Umm. No. I'd say it's closer to the smell of the bottom of someone's shoe. When I see "leather," I think Jolie Madame, Dzing, Bandit, VIP Room, any of which I would wear. I detected no floral, and there was no sweetness to the supposed presence of woods or amber. Notes: Muguet, Water Lily, Jasmine, Spanish Moss, Woods, White Amber.

Thierry Angel La Rose: Yup, obviously a descendant of Angel--almost occupies a niche between Angel and Angel Innocent in my mind. I brought home the scent on my arm and on a paper strip to sniff side by side with other Angel-like frags: Molinard Nirmala, Bond's Nuits de Noho, and Gendarme's Excess (another Sinful Scent). It's my tendency to prefer the "musical key signature" of unisex frags because the female-geared ones feel a little too high-pitched, and that's what I've concluded for this scent group, too. Thus, Nuits de Noho wins this competition for me. La Rose is very good, but has not inherited Angel's longevity quotient, fading in just a couple hours to a pleasant trace of cocoa. Notes: Rose, Bergamot, Hedione, Helional, Honey, Dewberry, Red Berries, Vanilla, Caramel, Patchouli, Chocolate, Coumarin. (Safety note: If you slipped and fell on this bottle, you'd be a goner for sure.)

Fresh Index Apricot Fig: First I sprayed Index's Pink Jasmine on a strip (still pursuing that list of light floral recommendations some of you helped compose a few months ago; this particular one suggested by Chicat). Pretty, but again, wrong "key signature" for me. Bringing things down half an octave, I put AF on a strip. Hmmm. That might have potential if I didn't have my dear Mathias Figue. AF is soft and seems to perform a compromise--not too green, not too sweet, not too earthy. But I just caught the top notes on paper, so can't form any real judgements.

Caudalie Fleur de Vigne: While at Sephora, an SA trotted out this "flower of the vine." DH and I sniffed only the mouillette, but managed to pick up a bit of blossom and a fresh lemon note--cumulatively too much citrus to credit this as a "vine" scent. Notes: Grape Blossom, Italian Bergamot, Grapefruit, Mandarin, Blackcurrant Bud, Green Mate, Sandalwood, Cedarwood, Grape, Lemon and Orange Botanical Waters, Trace Elements, Mineral Salts.

Cassis & Rose: This frag was praised on MUA, so I pushed my way past the little girls in training bras at The Body Shop and gave C&R a spritz from its ruby red bottle. Nice and, what's the word I want? Oh yeah, kinda forgettable. Actually, I'd be very impressed if one of these young girls would wear it. It's a good beginner's frag--a mildly fruity floral (not really a rose scent) with a little depth. Notes: Raspberry, Blackcurrent, Rose, Freesia, Violet, Musk, Sandalwood, and Cedarwood. I'd recommend it as a gift for a young person.

Crabtree & Evelyn Summer Hill: This was actually my first sample of the day, but I didn't get much fragrance from the EDT I sprayed on my arm. As one who actually grows "wildflowers" (whatever that means to C&E I don't know), I'm not reminded of any of the dozens of native forbs we use in landscaping. Seems like a safe, generic floral.

When DH and I got home, there was a surprise in my mailbox from Buffalo_Gals. I can't possibly try it on, I'm already doused. Well, just a sniff from the vial stopper then--oooh, that's Guerlain! Dear Guerlain. Off to study about Vega now so I'll be ready for our August 5 get-together.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: Lust, Angel Rose, Apricot Fig, Cassis & Rose, Summer Hill, Fleur de Vigne

Delightful reading! Thanks for your report, dear. Still nothing really nice and mellow, bummer...

Unhappy Re: Lust, Angel Rose, Apricot Fig, Cassis & Rose, Summer Hill, Fleur de Vigne

Caudalie Fleur de Vigne is by Olivia Giacobetti. I've wanted to try it for some time but I can't find it around here anymore. I'm tempted to order it unsniffed but I'm worried about the lasting power.

Default Re: Lust, Angel Rose, Apricot Fig, Cassis & Rose, Summer Hill, Fleur de Vigne

The Caudalie Fleur de Vigne is one I sniff over and over again. I recall thinking it was very light, and that it smelled very original and nice. I didn't buy it, also concerned about it's staying power. Can anyone comment?
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    Thierry Angel La Rose: La Rose is very good, but has not inherited Angel's longevity quotient, fading in just a couple hours to a pleasant trace of cocoa. Notes: Rose, Bergamot, Hedione, Helional, Honey, Dewberry, Red Berries, Vanilla, Caramel, Patchouli, Chocolate, Coumarin.
    Seems to include all the Angel-notes and some additional ones? I remember the rumour that this one wasn´t going to have the chocolate note. I still have not liked any of the other garden versions (violet being the least favourite...I usually like violet but no no no!), but this one is the one I have most hopes for.

I am late, but thanks for the report, Quarry!