Code of Conduct

Thread: Gift of Scent

Default Gift of Scent

Ladies, help me out. Assuming price is not a factor, what perfume would you most like to receive as a gift?

Default Re: Gift of Scent

Im not a lady, but this question is way too broad. You have to know her tastes and, even then, it can be a very dicey proposition. Much better is to get her a dozen samples and tell her you'll buy a nottle of whichever she likes best. Then the choice is hers, and she won't feel obligated to wear something she's only so-so on just because you dropped hundreds of dollars on it.

Talking Re: Gift of Scent

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    tell her you'll buy a nottle
    bottle nottle lottle, fee fi fo fottle... BOTTLE !
    Please, spritz responsibly.

Its just an open question dude. The ladies on here know a lot more about womens fragrance than I do. I could get my girlfriend a dozen samples, but I wouldn't even know where to start. My intention is to gage what veteran perfume enthusiasts consider to be exclusive or luxurious, or something they'd want but wouldn't necessarily buy for themselves. I'm not just gonna look down a list and buy something.

Scent is such a subjective thing that what is here considered exclusive or luxurious won't get you far. I'm telling you, let her choose the nottle

Un Lys by Serge Lutens

Sacrebleu by Patricia de Nicolai

I believe any woman on earth would be thrilled with either of these.
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I fully plan on letting her chose, but the problem is I live in city of about 125,000 people(on a good day) so trying to buy something that is a little more boutique than your standard department store lines is a weighty undertaking that will require some research and some ordering decants and samples etc...If I was ordering for myself, or my dad or something, not a problem, I just don't know women's fragrance and could use an assist.

Talking Re: Gift of Scent

Hermessence Ambre Narguile

Ok, lets's try. Exclusive and luxurious, huh?

L'artisan Fleur d'Oranger is a beautiful, limited edition orange blossom scent that comes in a lovely presentation (engraved, numbered bottle, orange crate box). The juice itself is breathtakingly beautiful, and I can't image anyone NOT liking it. $250. Bergdorf Goodman, L'artisan Boutiques, maybe Saks.

Shalini: very lovely white flower (tuberose) scent, that is IMHO, overpriced. But I like it. Many love it. At Aedes. One ounce in plain bottle = $400, 2 oz. in beautiful, arty, Bacarrat bottle = $900.

JAR perfumes: You go to Bergdorf Goodman and have a private presentation of these. Pretentious but fun. Then, you can buy an ounce for from around $375-around$795. I would NEVER buy this for someone without having her taste them (and I'm not sure they'd let you). Some are VERY strange. Personally, I love Golconda. Many like Diamond Waters, or the hideously expensive Bolt of Lightning.

Hermes Doblis: Again with the limited edition, signed bottle. A nice, soft, leather scent. I'm a leather maniac, so I would be happy to receive this, but I think it's far from the best leather scent around, and not the best of these choices. around $500. Hermes boutiques.

And the classic choices: Guerlain extraits and limited editions. At BG. Most are wonderful--and timeless!
    Caron extraits: used to have their own store, but now are in Bendel's I think! Fantastic, but an acquired taste for many. There are limited editions, too.

Basenotes Plus

Shalimar parfum
    Caron Tabac Blond
    Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

happy is the bleu heart<3

I would love to receive one of the Angel Mystic Star Limited Edition Parfum. I would never buy it for myself, though. There really is not a big difference between the EDP and the parfum in the scent, but the bottles are so beautiful. To an Angel lover, like me, this would be the ultimate gift.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

A whole ounce of Opium parfum
    Serge Lutens Encens et Lavande
    Norma Kamali Perfume and Incense (full bottles of)
    Norma Kamali Lavande
    Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Montale's Intense Tiare & Sweet Oriental Dreams
    The whole Kai line
    Miriam Mirani's Aqaba in parfum
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Appreciate all the help ladies.