Code of Conduct

Thread: Meeting Malle

Smile Meeting Malle

In my city, some weeks ago a small store opened that carries the entire Frederic Malle collection. As I had to do in the town center today, I decided to have a look at that place to try out some of the fragrances which I did not know till then. The SA was talking to someone else, so I looked around by myself and tried out a few of the nicely arranged bottles until she came to ask whether I'd need some help and we had some small talk; I told her how much I appreciated that fragrance line and the idea behind it. And she said: "Well, if you want, you can tell it to Mr Malle himself, he's sitting over there." The man she was talking to before, was Frederic Malle, who came to see his latest outlet. I was quite amazed and seized the opportunity to have some small chat.
    I was impressed what a decent, accomplished and likeable man he is. We talked a bit about his work, and he pointed out that all the credit he's given for his collection is due to all the brilliant noses he's fortunate to work.
    It was just a short encounter, as I didn't want to bother him and - to be honest - I forgot all those interesting questions I've always wanted to ask a true expert of modern perfumery. (What a shame - like a teenager facing some celebrity like Heidi Klum or so. But don't worry, at least didn't ask for an autograph )

After this, I rethought my personal imagination I had of the big names and noses in perfumery. I always thought most of them would be a bit aloof, maybe a bit excentric or lordly. In Malle's case, he seems to be very down-to-earth and obliging. Any similar experiences?

Default Re: Meeting Malle

Wow, great! That is really impressive. Unfortunately I haven't met any 'big' noses before. Any idea on what he was wearing when you met him?
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald
    But don't worry, at least didn't ask for an autograph )
    Oh, you didn't ? Come on man !!!!

Well, a great experience, I might guess. Congratulations Gerald.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

Nice story and talk about being at the right time and place. Lucky you! Was there a fragrance that you particularlly liked? Did you purchase anything?

I have not met Monsiuer Malle but I did have the chance to meet Geir Ness. This was when Geir was doing a promotion in one of the local stores here in L.A. I found him to be very nice and a true gentleman.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by BrothaG
    Any idea on what he was wearing when you met him?
    I tried to detect... but I couldn't catch whether he was actually wearing anything. And I didn't dare to press my nose on his neck to find out )

Perfumers wearing perfumes?

Mr. Malle may wear a perfume when he goes out to see his new outlet. But generally perfumers do not wear perfumes. At least not during work. And if you ever meet a Nose - you do not wear a perfume. He will have difficulties showing you what he is working on or explaining an example. Because you are stinking up his laboratory.

The Perfumers I have met (4) are:

Hard Working
    Nice People
    Artists - not chemists

Always at you service

EauxM
    Last edited by EauxM; 4th July 2006 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Did you purchase anything?
    I couldn't resist buying a small bottle of Bigarade Concentree. Sampled it some time before and find it an awesome summer fragrance, even if less extraordinary than others from his line.

Wow, Geir Ness - this IS one really largely-known name, given the popularity of his fragrance!

Gerald, what an interesting story! There are many questions I would like to ask Frederic Malle, but I think I would probably be too shy to ask them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald
    In my city, some weeks ago a small store opened that carries the entire Frederic Malle collection.
    Apparently, Frederic Malle is opening stores all over, which is good news, in my opinion. A few weeks ago, I was speaking on the phone to a Sales Assistant at Barneys in New York (a store which carries the Malle fragrances) who stated that Frederic Malle will soon also be opening a number of stores in the United States.

Any idea what cities the new stores will be opening in?

I dont think any of the Malle parfums are made by Malle himself.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    I dont think any of the Malle parfums are made by Malle himself.
    Although Frederic Malle comes from a family of "Noses". I think his father was one. His Uncle of course was a film director, once married to an American actress, Candice Bergen.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS