Code of Conduct

Red face Serge Lutens Bell Jars, I need some info...

I just wanted to know a little bit about the Bell Jars, that some of the SL scents come in. I haven't seen one myself in person but I'm guessing they don't have a spray and they come in a splash bottle.....Again, I have no clue, because I'm planning to buy a SL scent in a Bell Jar and wanted to know if I needed to decant the scent into an atomizer, etc....

Thanks for any help...and sorry about the silly amateur question

Default Re: Serge Lutens Bell Jars, I need some info...

Hey,
    The bell jars are splash and there is no atomizer for those bottles that I know of. I decant into another atomizer. just bein nozy but whatcha buyin?
    m

Thanks for the info. I just bought my first bell jar (Santal de Mysore) a few days ago. No atomizer, but I wasn't sure if it's missing (bought a used bottle on eBay).
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Are all bottles purchased through the Lutens website bell jars? I still haven't got that Chergui...

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Are all bottles purchased through the Lutens website bell jars? I still haven't got that Chergui...
    Yup, they all are. And very beautiful too.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Yup, they all are. And very beautiful too.
    Agreed! Specially if you ever had the chance to admire the decorated ones in limited edition (as I did @les salons...) Almost dreamlike.

Right now I'm talking myself into how they really aren't too expensive. Oh where will this end...

Here's my used Santal de Mysore bottle:

Strong juice! Some drops will do.
    Last edited by dr.creed; 5th July 2006 at 04:15 PM.
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Okay...thanks for the info...I guess they don't come with an atomizer and they're splash bottles.. =(

BTW Dr. Creed, how do you apply the perfume, you said just a few drops, you don't decant into an atomizer?

And is that a glass stopper on top?

The bottle looks like what top notch Brandy might come in....I can just imagine myself popping off the top and drinking endlessly.

Yes, the bottles are breathtaking! They do have a glass stopper. I have Chergui in the bell bottle and I decant out a little at a time into a small atomizer for my use.

I love Santal de Mysore, as well. It does not get mentioned as often as some of the other Serge Lutens.

Oh how I wish we could get these in the USA!
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Before I bought the bell jar bottle, I bought a 10ml decant of Santal de Mysore. I received it in a small pharmacy bottle, where only drops come out. At the moment I only use that decant.

Santal de Mysore was quite a shock when I first tested it. A Rich and powerful creation in traditional Lutens style of course. I can't think of a better Lutens fragrance at the moment ....
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I'd love to test them all, but buying even 5ml decants of them is insanely expensive. For 10ml decants I can get discount fragrances for the same price... It will take me ages to sniff my way through the rest of the Serge Lutens line, but I somehow feel it will be well worth it. Daim Blond and Chergui are bombs both of them, but from what I've realized maybe two of the more popular ones in their line... I always make a quick connection between easy to like/digest and popularity (Creed and GIT...) so I have high hopes on finding more interesting and more rewarding scents from Serge Lutens (I should say that Chergui might be the most beautiful thing I've ever smelled so saying that I think I'll find something more rewarding might be insane...). Cèdre is the third I've tried but it didn't do much for me, even though it is pleasent. Gris Clair, Fumerie Turque, MKK, Cuir Mauresque and Santal de Mysore are all scents I'd love to sniff to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    And is that a glass stopper on top?
    I bought mine from the SL shoppe in Paris and it came with only the stopper, no atomizer. It's a glass stopper, but it has a plastic part on the bottom that goes into the neck of the bell bottle so that it fits more tightly. Fortunately, it's very easy to decant with a pipette.

If you don't want to decant, the opening is small enough to put a finger over and splash a little onto your finger and dab on.

Well...Thanks for all the info guys. The bell jars do look extremely classy. I really didn't like the Export Line bottles even if they did come with an atomizer.

Anyways...if you guys wanted to know, I'm buying Muscs Koubali Khan.

Great choice! That's my latest bottle. I had it sent to my work and when it arrived I was completely ready. I sneaked into an empty room and drew up the precious liquid with a syringe, decanting it into my last empty spray bottle. I have no idea what my collegues would have thought if they'd seen me.

Personally, I feel that most of the non-export SLs are better dabbed, anyway. I decant them into splash bottles, but you could dab directly from the Bell Jar if you chose.

Well...Thanks for all the info guys. The bell jars do look extremely classy. I really didn't like the Export Line bottles even if they did come with an atomizer.

Go early, try it on, then go to the Louvre or Centre Georges Pompidou for a while and see if you still like it. I went in convinced I would buy MKK but found it just wasn't for me and bought FT instead. Take a short list of all the non-export lines as a reference. Once you are there, it's easy to get confused about what is easy to get at home and what is harder to find.

Enjoy. The shop is a jewel box.

Default Re: Serge Lutens Bell Jars, I need some info... Perfume Melts?

Hi everyone,

Actually I have a question about SL line... there are things called Perfume Melts and well they are not exactly perfume, they have no alcohol content whatsoever, but are not pure oils (or so I think) either... would anyone have any info about this? There is no sprayer on the either and they look like the regular SL bottle, not jar bottles... I'm a bit confused on this one...
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Oh the carol of the bells...I have eight. They pour extremely well--when I send a sample I pour it into the the little vial directly. I have decant bottles from the initial testing that I refill--they are the nice ones from Buffalo Gals ebay store (dragonfly scent me.)
    Please, spritz responsibly.

I will take one bell jar of each, please:
    - Encens et Lavande
    - Fumerie Turque
    - Chêne
    - Chergui

Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    Hi everyone,

Actually I have a question about SL line... there are things called Perfume Melts and well they are not exactly perfume, they have no alcohol content whatsoever, but are not pure oils (or so I think) either... would anyone have any info about this? There is no sprayer on the either and they look like the regular SL bottle, not jar bottles... I'm a bit confused on this one...
    The only thing I can think of are the Fonds du Parfum and they don't make those anymore. They came in oil form and were meant to be used as a "primer" before you but the regular perfumes on. They were lighter in fragrance thasn

Then there are the samples in wax form you can get of the exclusive line.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    The only thing I can think of are the Fonds du Parfum and they don't make those anymore. They came in oil form and were meant to be used as a "primer" before you but the regular perfumes on. They were lighter in fragrance thasn

Then there are the samples in wax form you can get of the exclusive line.

Hi Concord,

Yep that is what I was talking about... have you had any experience with them at all? Are they any good?

Many thanks!!!!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

I know those wax samples! I've never seen anything quite the same before.

A Smeagol invention??

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Its actually not a pure glass stopper. Its a Glass stopper with a plastic around it to prevent the bottle from leaking.

EauxM

Sorry boys, didnot read the entire string before posting.

Besides: the magic is inside the bottle.
    Last edited by EauxM; 7th July 2006 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I bought mine from the SL shoppe in Paris and it came with only the stopper, no atomizer. It's a glass stopper, but it has a plastic part on the bottom that goes into the neck of the bell bottle so that it fits more tightly. Fortunately, it's very easy to decant with a pipette.

If you don't want to decant, the opening is small enough to put a finger over and splash a little onto your finger and dab on.
    You can see the plastic part (wrapping) underneath the bowl.

decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Just dropped into this thread - thanks for info. I think offering the option to just dab on with your finger rather than spray is smart for Lutens stuff - less is definitely more with some of these! I was recently given a Gris Clair ('unsentimental lavender!') sample in Singapore in a small roll-on and it's ideal - even one spritz would probably be overpowering in that heat.