Code of Conduct

Question Tumulte by Lacroix - any views

I'm starting to think about autumn scents. It cools my brain - a little. Any views here on Tumulte? In theory it sounds great: bay, juniper, various cedar types, incense.

Thanx
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Tumulte by Lacroix - any views

It's simply superb. Rich and charming cedar notes with touches of incense and sandalwood. If you like elegant, cedar-y fragrances, you'll love this one. Plus, the longevity is more than outstanding.

And.. not to mention that beautiful bottle.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I can recommend it also

It really reminds me of Azzaro Visit, which iw another great autumn scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    It's simply superb. Rich and charming cedar notes with touches of incense and sandalwood. If you like elegant, cedar-y fragrances, you'll love this one. Plus, the longevity is more than outstanding.

And.. not to mention that beautiful bottle.
    Hmm? So is it a bit like Gucci's Rush for Men, Costes, or 10 Corso Como EDP?

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by wicozani
    Hmm? So is it a bit like Gucci's Rush for Men, Costes, or 10 Corso Como EDP?

Jeff
    I would say that it is more in the lines of Gucci Rush for men but deeper and richer; in my opinion it is far better.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

An excellent scent: mysterious, seductive, classy, subtile, woody and a little sweet. And the bottle is very nice too.
    Thumbs up!
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Sandalwood
    I would say that it is more in the lines of Gucci Rush for men but deeper and richer; in my opinion it is far better.
    I'll second this. Costes seemed more complex and spicier to me (I got a prominent cinnamon note that reminded me of Villoresi's Incensi), whereas Tumulte basically smells like cedar and incense to me.

I love these Tumulte threads. However, I don't love Tumulte. I am on this rant at the moment to stamp out all Iso E-Super based scents. This is loaded with it. In fact, to my nose, it's mostly Iso E-Super. Others containing Iso E-Super are L'artisan's Bois Farine (which I do love but it isn't mostly the dreaded scent chemical) and Passage D'Enfer (yuck!). Many will say this is a cedar fragrance or sandlewood fragrance or how about incense. My response is "have you smelled real cedar or sandlewood or incense?" There is a good reason why this fragrance was cancelled--it doesn't have the ingredients in it that it claims to have. You might possibly be able to spray some on and while inhaling the cloud of Iso E-Super, imagine these lovely ingredients but when I smell it, I CAN'T DETECT ANY OF THEM! Sad, I know. OK, I'll shut up now.

I like this scent a lot, but to me it is very one-dimensional. I get cedar, cedar and more cedar and that's about it. Designed for cold weather, not warm, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    I love these Tumulte threads. However, I don't love Tumulte. I am on this rant at the moment to stamp out all Iso E-Super based scents. This is loaded with it. In fact, to my nose, it's mostly Iso E-Super. Others containing Iso E-Super are L'artisan's Bois Farine (which I do love but it isn't mostly the dreaded scent chemical) and Passage D'Enfer (yuck!). Many will say this is a cedar fragrance or sandlewood fragrance or how about incense. My response is "have you smelled real cedar or sandlewood or incense?" There is a good reason why this fragrance was cancelled--it doesn't have the ingredients in it that it claims to have. You might possibly be able to spray some on and while inhaling the cloud of Iso E-Super, imagine these lovely ingredients but when I smell it, I CAN'T DETECT ANY OF THEM! Sad, I know. OK, I'll shut up now.
    I for one love your ramblings about this. I wish I could say you were tight or wrong, but I can't. I've also noticed that almost no one really pays attention to what you are saying about Iso E-Super, but since there are so many knowledgeable people are I'd love to hear more opinions about this.

On the other hand, if one doesn't have a problem with said chemical (there are several like it, conjuring up images of scents we know, or think we know) I guess we can still treasure these scents like crazy

[QUOTE=ExileonMainStreet]I like this scent a lot, but to me it is very one-dimensional. I get cedar, cedar and more cedar and that's about it.

I agree with this--and I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by paintrman
    Ouch! So you don't like Feminite du Bois then? I must love Iso-E Super. Haven't smelled it in its pure state, but I have an idea what it smells like.

Oh, and Escentric Molecules Molecule 01 is 100% Iso-E Super. What a rip-off at $100+ a bottle.
    Last edited by Concord; 6th July 2006 at 01:51 PM.

Concord, good point! Escentric Molecules Molecule 01 is on the top of my list. Let's all write letters of complaint...oh, wait, I heard this was also going to be discontinued! I can't remember who was pointing out that Iso E-Super (main ingredient in Tumulte) can sometimes be undetectable. If someone suffers from (sorry, can't remember the official name) the inability to smell Iso E, Molecule 01 would be like wearing nothing at all. I also heard that's why most musk scents contain more than one musk because lots of people have problems smelling musks.

I should also point out that when I wear Tumulte, I only get that funky vinegar smell for about an hour. As it warms up on my skin it starts smelling better and better. At the end of the day I can't detect the vinegar at all. I just wish there was one other person out there that could relate. I am probably a freak of nature! Who knew?

Who can enlighten me about ISO E-Super? What is it chemically? Is it widely used in perfumes as well as other products? Since when? Does NAVEGAR contain it (smells like real cedar to me)?

thank you!
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by Concord

Oh, and Escentric Molecules Molecule 01 is 100% Iso-E Super. What a rip-off at $100+ a bottle.
    I just read on a German site that it contains 65%.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Who can enlighten me about ISO E-Super? What is it chemically? Is it widely used in perfumes as well as other products? Since when? Does NAVEGAR contain it (smells like real cedar to me)?

thank you!
    Here's some info:
    http://www.iff.com/Ingredients.nsf/0...256993003995C6

They released two versions by the way: Escentric 01, which is 65% and Molecule 01 which is 100%.
    Last edited by Concord; 6th July 2006 at 04:01 PM.

Thumbs up Re: Tumulte by Lacroix - any views

Quote Originally Posted by Concord
    Here's some info:
    http://www.iff.com/Ingredients.nsf/0...256993003995C6

They released two versions by the way: Escentric 01, which is 65% and Molecule 01 which is 100%.
    Wow, thanks Concord ! I was looking for a website like this.
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

The following is swiped from the blog "Bois de Jasmin" and it refers to a review of Feminite du Bois by Shiseido. I found it a beautiful review.

"On a technical level, the silky duskiness of Féminité du Bois is achieved not so much through the cedarwood oil, but via an overdose of Iso E Super, a material which has little smell, other than the impurity in it that presents an interplay of hues, like an iridescent coating of an oyster shell. Refracting through specific notes, Iso E Super can assume either the radiant warthm of amber, the balsamic dryness of cedarwood or the sweet darkness of violet. In Féminité du Bois, Iso E Super harmonizes violet with cedar notes, allowing for the rough edges to be smoothed away, while retaining the strength of woods."

The following is an excerpt from an interview with the creator of the for-mentioned Molecule 01, Geza Schoen:

Perfumes generally contain dozens or even hundreds of different raw ingredients, arranged in a harmonic "accord". Schoen's scent, which he has now called Molecule 01 and which he prefers to describe as "genderless" rather than unisex, contains only one aroma chemical, Iso E Super, an ingredient with an unapologetically synthetic but strangely alluring smell. Far from being obscure, it is widely used in everyday detergents and shampoos. "It's ultra-basic," admits Schoen, happily. "Every nose on the planet knows about Iso E Super."

But the manner in which he has used it - blended only with alcohol, to create a single-note, "minimalist" perfume - is the real innovation. The resulting scent, called Molecule 01, has been described variously as "woody", "fresh" or even "a bit like gin", none of which do justice to its strange appeal.

Although simple in chemical terms, the experience of wearing Molecule 01 it is far from straightforward. Schoen's description of his fragrance as "radical" isn't far off the mark.

At first spray, it is almost overpoweringly synthetic - an olfactory sensation with which any fan of Comme des Garçons' fragrances will be familiar. Seconds later, it disappears. Or, at least, it seems to.

"You smell it, then you lose it, but then an hour later, it's back. Then, two hours later, it returns again," explains Schoen. "It's a surprise to yourself, over and over. I would ask, do you want to smell your own fragrance non-stop?"

So why has nobody used it in this way before? "I don't know!" says Schoen, throwing his hands up in disbelief, "I can't say more than that." - The Independent

It's an interesting chemical just not one that works well on me.