Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Blog Entries

Default Re: Do you shy away from fragrances endorsed by celebrities?

I don't buy, wear or even sniff celeb frags. Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Yes,yes,yes! My cousin, she is a huge fan of Paris Hilton and I think it smells awful. She also has the JLo,which smells even worst. I tried to steer her to more quality perfum for her age(she's 13), I told her some of anna sui's selections would fit her perfectly, and so is L'Eau Par Kenzo for men version, Gai Mattiolo Uomo is so nice on a girl, Escada Ibiza Hippie and Gai Mattiolo Amore for girl.

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    I don't buy, wear or even sniff celeb frags. Wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.
    The closest encounter I recall - probably was that Beckham stuff. The feelings I had when I reached for the bottle .... LOL! Mass Marketed, computer made, destination target group. OK. Here we go!

Yaaaauuuchhh!! Wasn't Cristobal a favourite of Beckham way back in the good times?? I have to forget this encounter and yes, I need a nutrition bar. NOW!!
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

I, for one, RUN from celeb fragrances. I do own Aramis Life though because....wait for it...I like it. Now I love soccer, er, footboll, er, futbol and I'm a big Beckham fan so, while I had no idea he had a scent out, I would have tried that one or at least smelled it. I guess i'm elitist, but that's they way I am. They have the common thread....synthetic, obnoxious and overdone. I do see the difference in celebrity endorsed fragrances and fragances by celebrities. I give the latter a chance.
    - Ben -

Top Five:
    Creed Royal Oud; Byredo Black Saffron; Etro Etra; Creed Aventus; Xerjoff Nio

eBay: mississippi_rifleman
    Twitter: Cigar_Ben

Wardrobe

Stogie Review

I base my opinion on the fragrance, not who endorses it. Endorsements mean little to me, celebrities endorse products for money, it's nice if they actually use them or like them, but we know thats not always the case.

Say what you will about Paris Hilton, but her fragrance (For Men) is alot better than Trumps. In my experiences, Sean Jean Unforgiveable gets a more interested reaction than Creed MI, not that anyone in the general public could tell them apart anyway. I've yet to meet anyone that has even heard of Creed outside of this community.

The biggest issue as mentioned here is the risk that celebrity endorsed fragrances will become too popular since none of us want to smell like the two guys standing next to us at the bar. But then to my knowledge no celebrity endorsed DG PH, or AdG, and you can't go anywhere in NY without smelling them.

Let's face it, once a fragrance ends up at Marshalls, TJ Maxx or some other discount store how exclusive is it really, regardless of whether it's celebrity endorsed.

Hi,
    That's an interesting question, which I have thought about.

Before I had many frags, I reflexively rejected some items, but mainly by brand rather than by individual celebrity endorser. It pained me to hand over money to any company that had extremely annoying ads.

I'll have to admit that when I saw that Mariah Carey was going to have a fragrance, I imagined that the type of person to wear it would be someone who was creative and talented, but incredibly high-maintenance, emotionally needy, neurotic, and very bad to work for!

For anyone who finds this sort of thing amusing, take a look at the Contract Riders of famous people at the Smoking Gun site. J-Lo is well-represented, too.

But after smelling a lot of stuff, I have to admit that some things just smell good in spite of these associations. I hate the ubiquitous Burberry plaid patterns, for instance, but their frags are decent.

Blog Entries

I don't give the celebrity named frags the time of day. The ONLY exception is Harry Potter EDT .
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    I don't give the celebrity named frags the time of day. The ONLY exception is Harry Potter EDT .

Have you actually tried this or was that a Joke?

I was tempted to get some just for the hell of it...

As I mentioned in my previous post, I avoid fragrances endorsed by celebrities.

I consider the whole culture of celebrities to be a massive turnoff. In fact, just thinking about the cult of celebrities almost makes me want to throw up.

Celebrities! Yeecchhh!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba
    Have you actually tried this or was that a Joke?

I was tempted to get some just for the hell of it...
    Yep, I have it! It's quite nice, actually. Virtually no longevity unless you really bathe yourself in it. I just wear it to work once in ahwile, or while bumming around my apartment. To me it actually smells like a not-as-woody version of Burberry Weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    Yep, I have it! It's quite nice, actually. Virtually no longevity unless you really bathe yourself in it. I just wear it to work once in ahwile, or while bumming around my apartment. To me it actually smells like a not-as-woody version of Burberry Weekend.

I really love Weekend...

Now I'm gonna HAVE to get it, if I can find which e-tailers have it for sale.

Edit: Found it! http://www.perfumestation.com/fragra...peenne+Parfums
    Last edited by DrBubba; 8th July 2006 at 08:08 PM.

For every celebrity-endorsed frag that sucks, there is an unendorsed frag that also sucks. On the other hand-

Celeb frags aren't really even perfumes, in my mind. They are just more of the same junk that is spewed out of the celebrity machine- celeb magazines, lunchboxes, stretch pants, stickers, commercials, interviews on the 'news', etc etc. A bottle of e.g. MKK is a perfume. A bottle of Curious or whatever is a trinket with scented water in it. It's not meant to be judged as a perfume; its success lies in its profit margin.

-ben

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Celeb frags aren't really even perfumes, in my mind. They are just more of the same junk that is spewed out of the celebrity machine- celeb magazines, lunchboxes, stretch pants, stickers, commercials, interviews on the 'news', etc etc. A bottle of e.g. MKK is a perfume. A bottle of Curious or whatever is a trinket with scented water in it. It's not meant to be judged as a perfume; its success lies in its profit margin.
    Well said, greyhueofdoubt! I certainly agree.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DrBubba
    I really love Weekend...

Now I'm gonna HAVE to get it, if I can find which e-tailers have it for sale.

Edit: Found it! http://www.perfumestation.com/fragra...peenne+Parfums
    That's the stuff!!!!! Too bad it seems to be out of stock though . If you REEEEEALLY want it, I have a spare bottle that I might consider selling. I bought it to stock up on the frag since it was SO hard to find...but nowadays I could kinda use the cash...

that is what I am running away from - why would I want to smell like all these people ????

Noooooo

laurent
    Invisible Power

Simply....I am not interested in these types of scents.....There may be 1 or 2 that might grab my attention.....but for the most part I'm just not interested.
    Gary