Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Female vs Male scents

I am wondering if female or male frags produced and sold more? When I go to frag counters I see more of male products. But in real life (referred to my life), 7 out of 10 women wear it while 2 out of 10 for men.

However, each time I walk pass tourists, (mostly white men and some color) whether male or female they wear cologne. Last night I smelled something so good from 2 white men, but no, didn't ask what they were wearing.

Well, back to the question - female or male frags produced and sold more?
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Female vs Male scents

Things must be a bit unusual in your neck of the woods. In Australia and in the countries I've visited Europe, there's typically 3 to 4 or more times the shelf space devoted to women's scents than what is given to the men's scents. That's usually a pretty good indication of the ratio of sales.

I think tourists wear lots of cologne where you live, simply because it is so utterly hot. They'd be somewhat worried about how they smelled if they weren't wearing it, because they'd be perspiring so much compared to where they come from.
    Renato

Post Thanks / Like

I have also noticed that expats here don't wear frag as much as tourists.

By the way, this is a surprise to hear, 3-4 times more devoted to female scents!
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, back home (Oklahoma), when I go into a department store, the women's counter is huge...way more than 4 times the size of the men's fragrance/grooming products section (maybe even 10 times the size). I am specifically thinking of Dillards and the women's fragrance/beauty section is almost a third of the whole downstairs floor. The men have a tiny section as you enter the casual clothes. It's just not fair! lol

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks paintrman. Here when you go to the shopping malls there are 1 floor for female clothes, and another for male. Always, the ground floor is for cosmetics (of course, 90% for women), and then 5-10 frag counters. Male & Female scents are not separated, they are laid on the counters together but I can see that there are more male scents. For example, Herrera counter was here in February 2006 and there were about 8 scents from this house, and you know what, 6 out of 8 are male scents such as 212 men, 212 on ice, 212 H2O, Chic, Aqua, and Herrera for Men.

Also, sometimes there are sales events, the import company like LuxAsia will display frags on the table and of course, thronged with so many women (8 out of 10) while most frags are male scents. No doubt, many women buy male frags for themselves and their boyfriends. This doesn't mean that Thai women don't wear perfumes, they do more than men, but I just don't understand why their products are less than ours. But since the 2 of you have confirmed, right, for beauty products, female still stands higher.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Post Thanks / Like

This should tell you something. I just did a general fragrance search on ebay.
    Hits for men: 13477
    Hits for women: 38743

As far as my general neck of the woods,. male fragrances are usually limited to one or two counters while female products cover nearly half a department store level.

Here in Chicago it's like this,
    Nordstrom and field's and the big dept stores separate male and female frags by dept. Female section is huge compared to the men's. Barney's and needless markup have everything together but they sell mostly nichey gender undefined stuff anyway. I notice more women buying fragrance but almot everyone does here so it's a bit moot.
    m

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    I have also noticed that expats here don't wear frag as much as tourists.

By the way, this is a surprise to hear, 3-4 times more devoted to female scents!
    How's this for a possibility.
    Eventually the expats acclimatise to the weather.
    Women tourists probably bring their own perfume.
    Male tourists don't - then think "Oh my God - this heat - my smell! I'd better buy something quick (or their wives tell them the latter). Hence more male scents are sold where you live.

Renato

Another possibility, I guess, is that tourists have more buying power and thus shops cater for that buying power. Then, most of tourism to Thailand is by men. Then male tourists would have the most buying power.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KiatBkk
    I am wondering if female or male frags produced and sold more? When I go to frag counters I see more of male products. But in real life (referred to my life), 7 out of 10 women wear it while 2 out of 10 for men.

However, each time I walk pass tourists, (mostly white men and some color) whether male or female they wear cologne. Last night I smelled something so good from 2 white men, but no, didn't ask what they were wearing.

Well, back to the question - female or male frags produced and sold more?
    In the United States, there are many many more female frags produced and sold than male frags. I would say at least five times more.

Post Thanks / Like

That might be right, yes, I always see male tourists buying perfumes for retail prices. Locals here won't. They will find a place which offers 20-40% discount.

Also, retail prices here are not low at all compared to yours. For example, Le Male (125 ml) costs US$77 and Z Zegna (100ml) costs US$69. Well, most 100ml size costs from US$65-85, mostly designer frags. I think this is very expensive compared with our income. It's easier for Europeans or Americans, or even Singaporeans to buy from the counters.

Another example, traditional Thai food like fried rice costs 25-30 Baht while a bowl of noodles in Singapore costs 70-80 Baht.

NOTE: 38 Baht = 1 US Dollar

This means if I buy a bottle of Z Zegna I can buy 106 dishes of fried rice. But for Europeans and Americans, perfume is something that's not really out of reach, it's easier to buy there compared with your income.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

The unisex fragrance is now easy for the perfume makers one scent doubles the possiblity of sales !!!!!
    Invisible Power