Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help choosing a new fragrance!

Hi guys,
    This is my first post and I'm excited about getting some feedback in choosing a new scent. I currently own Vera Wang, Gucci Envy, Polo Blue, Polo(Green Bottle), CK Truth, and Emporio Armani He. I have never purchased a cologne, they were all given to me as presents. I'm a 21 year old male and I live in Atlanta(relatively warm) if that also helps.

Out of the colognes I own, I would say my favorities are the Armani He and both of the polo's. I don't like the Envy(despite the great reviews it gets) because I don't like the vanilla in it(I feel like there is a lot, but I've only used it a couple of times, so I'll give it another shot). I like the Vera Wang, but I feel it isn't strong enough and I'm not a huge fan of the CK Truth.

The only problem I have with the Armani He and the Polo Blue is I feel like it doesn't last too long.
    I would wear the Polo Green daily but my dad does and even though I love the smell, I don't want to always smell the same.

I hear the ladies really like the Gucci Envy so I'm willing to try it some more, but I'm looking for a cologne that I can wear every day(a signature scent?) during the day and something that will get slightly noticed/compliments. Thanks a lot for the help!

Default Re: Help choosing a new fragrance!

It's good to see someone so young, able to handle a classic like Polo. I'd recommend Azzaro PH then or Gucci PH.

I think L'instant pH is the thing for you

Thanks for those ideas. Also, I was looking into Armani Code(but I heard it has longevity problems) as well as Le Male. Any comments on those when considering the colognes I like/dislike? Basically I want something that smells good to me, females, and stays on me for some time that I can use as a signature scent...

I read the reviews on L'instant and it seems that a few people complained about the staying power of this one as well, but otherwise it sounds like I would like it.

I guess what you need is Equipage by Hermes. Earthy and sweet at the same time.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Any ideas on if I would like Fahrenheit considering I like the Polo Green/Blue and Armani He?
    I've heard it is good but people are divided on it.

Also any comments on Armani Mania?
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 8th July 2006 at 04:56 PM.

Hi,
    I suggest leaving the Envy for night time use when you go out.

Given your weather, consider something citrusy or aquatic or marine ambery or fresh aldehydic for day time use - like Azzaro Chrome, Halston Unbound, Laguna by Salvadore Dali or Tommy T. (Chrome never lets you down!)

Or think about Burberry Weekend or Eau de Rochas for something a bit classier.

Or Benetton Sport or Zipped Sport (Perfumers Workshop) for something citrusy, long lasting and inexpensive (which still smell pretty good).

One of my classy warm weather favourites is Michael Jordan Cologne - but nearly everyone dislikes it around here.

I get excellent staying power out of all the above except for the Eau de Rochas. However, Eau de Rochas is probably the longest lasting of the citrus scents with the word "Eau" in their name.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by georgiatechboy
    Thanks for those ideas. Also, I was looking into Armani Code(but I heard it has longevity problems) as well as Le Male. Any comments on those when considering the colognes I like/dislike? Basically I want something that smells good to me, females, and stays on me for some time that I can use as a signature scent...

I read the reviews on L'instant and it seems that a few people complained about the staying power of this one as well, but otherwise it sounds like I would like it.
    Code and Le Male are very vanillic scents. If you didn't like the vanilla in Envy, you probably wouldn't like them. To me, L'instant has great longevity! Lasts at least 10 hours for me. You'll have to try it on your skin to know.
    Oh yes, do try out Guerlain Vetiver!

Any ideas on if I would like Fahrenheit considering I like the Polo Green/Blue and Armani He?
    I've heard it is good but people are divided on it.

Also any comments on Armani Mania?
    If you like the green mossy Armani he, you ought to like the green mossy Fahrenheit (and 212, Paul Smith, Kiton too).
    Renato

I second guerlain vetiver. Also recommend you try creed's original vetiver. For some reason I think you need vetiver
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks for all of the help!!

I think the Vetiver and Fahrenheit sound really good to me.
    I'm leaning more towards the Fahrenheit though because it seems like it would be something I could wear in the summer/winter while the Vetiver sounds more suited for summer wear.

I've heard a lot about Kouros but never tried it...
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 8th July 2006 at 05:33 PM.

Hi and welcome,
    Guerlain Vetiver is my favorite vetiver scent, one of my fave scents overall and imho one of the most artistically successfull fragrances of all time. I will say however that I'm not sure if it's the best beginner vetiver scent. If you're looking for a clean grassy cool vetiver I would suggest CDG Vettiveru. A sweeter one would be OV by Creed. My other recs for a clean universally pleasing scent would by Philosykos and Kiton. For night-time and something the girlies seem to love try HM by Hanae Mori. It's also totally wearable year round.
    m

I think you should also try Platinum Egoiste and Miracle L'Aquatonic. Guerlain Vetiver is good for winter too; although it has a very fresh-citrusy opening it settles to a very warm tobacco-spicy basenote...

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and placed an order for the Guerlain Vetiver. Hope I like it as much as everyone else seems to.

Thanks everyone! I went ahead and placed an order for the Guerlain Vetiver. Hope I like it as much as everyone else seems to.
    I was about to post earlier that we always make a LOT of recommendations, but never hear back from the people who are after the recommendations are supposed to go out and try to find at least one of the mentioned fragrances. I was just about to start a small rant about how I can't even recall anyone reporting back on how it actually went with the test drive. But here you have already placed an order! Way to go, I have high hopes on you now!

Welcome to the Basenotes club my friend.

You could also get Polo Black. It smells great on warm, hot days and is fruity in scent. Burberry Touch is another one you could try out that I love and get compliments from. ANything from the Bvlgari line would be good too. I know Bvlgari Blv feels great on me when it's warm out. It's fresh, but spicy. Could be used for day and evening wear. Also Bvlgari Aqva too. Just go to Dept. stores and try out fragrances. Oh I almost forgot, Mugler's cologne is great when it's hot out too.

Lol, thanks.

I already placed the order, but am now second guessing myself. I just read that the Vetiver was redesigned around year 2000 but supposedly has the same exact scent. A lot of the reviews seem to disagree with that however. Do you think I will be happy with the new, reformulated version, or should I cancel my order and go with something else?

Lol, thanks.

I already placed the order, but am now second guessing myself. I just read that the Vetiver was redesigned around year 2000 but supposedly has the same exact scent. A lot of the reviews seem to disagree with that however. Do you think I will be happy with the new, reformulated version, or should I cancel my order and go with something else?
    I'm no big fan of vetiver fragrances, so I'm really not the person to answer this I guess, but I have only smelled the reformulated Vetiver and I think it is pretty good. I wouldn't worry about canceling that order.

They seem to have made it just a little more fresh in the opening to suit better the younger crowd. It is still a very original scent; at least I havent tried yet anything that smells like it...

Considering you like Polo green, you could try Azzaro pour homme, which is another strong sillage fragrance! And lasts forever... Or maybe Tuscany, a lighter Azzaro. Tsar is also a nice green scent. Try it!
    Well, you like Polo Blue, so you should try some aquatic/marine/fresh scents as Bvlgari Aqva, herrera Aqua, Polo Black, Davidoff Echo and Paris Hilton. As Renato said, Azzaro Chrome and Halston Unbound are also nice.

I have several formulations of G vetiver. There are differences between all of them and it's purely a difference of personal opinion. The reformulations of many classic guerlains were designed to bring the fragrances into compliance with silly ingredient guidelines. Advancements in aromachemicals however have made the differences nearly meaningless. I feel the difference is negligable unless you have a very discerning nose and have smelled the original. I personally feel that the difference between the edc and edt are greater than between the old and new formula. The presentation and structure of the vetiver note is the same the difference is in the balance of the surrounding notes. The long and short is that the new formulation is in no way inferior just different and even then only slightly so. I feel that in all its incarnations this is one of the finest men's fragrances ever created and you will be extremely happy to own it. It may be a bit challenging but is exponentially as rewarding.
    m

Thanks so much for the opinions!
    Definately helps a lot.

Also, I was trying to post on the For Sale/For Trade forums because I had a couple of things I don't really like that much but for some reason it isn't letting me post. I guess I'll just list them here until I can figure it out? I wanted to either sell them or trade them. I am very interested in Azzaro Pour Homme.

<snip>
    Last edited by Grant; 9th July 2006 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Removed fragrances for trade. Wrong forum.

Quote Originally Posted by phantagarow
    I guess what you need is Equipage by Hermes. Earthy and sweet at the same time.
    I'm 46, so for me it would be perfect. Our young friend in my opinion would need something younger-feeling scent. For example Loewe Solo, or Laguna Homme would do.

how bout polo black, not a bad fragrance, but it doesn't last that long, vera wang is a good one, i never had a problem with longevity......

Yeah,
    I liked Polo Black when I tried it at the store, but I've heard a lot of problems about longevity. I kind of want something that will last at least 5-6 hours. I just think Vera Wang is a little too faint for my taste.

I went ahead and ordered the Vetiver though, so I'm looking forward to that. What about Kouros?
    I've heard so many mixed opinions, but maybe when taking into consideration that I like Polo Green, Blue, Armani He might influence a recommendation?

I am seriously thinking about going ahead and ordered Azzaro PH after reading such good reviews...

Hey georgiatechboy, welcome to Basenotes!

It's interesting that so many people recommended Guerlain Vetiver to you, because, after reading your first post, I also immediately thought of recommending Guerlain Vetiver.

I think you will like Guerlain Vetiver. Let us know what you think of it after you have given it several wearings.

I will definately do that. Thanks so much for the recommendations and I hope I love the new scent!

One of my first post basenotes purchases was G. Vetiver. I liked it at first spray, but after a few wearings I LOVED it...another one that just really grows on you...you will not be dissapointed!

Quote Originally Posted by PRBRT33
    One of my first post basenotes purchases was G. Vetiver. I liked it at first spray, but after a few wearings I LOVED it...another one that just really grows on you...you will not be dissapointed!
    That's a brave statement. Let's hope you're correct.

I recollect quite a few people here over the years wondering why on earth they bought Guerlain's Vetiver blind - with comments about "old man's scent".

I like it a lot, the newer one being more long lasting than the older one.
    But I've never thought it a warm weather scent.
    Renato

I really do hope I like it!

A female friend of mine commented that Azzaro PH reminded her too much of her dad's old spice and that Polo Green smelled a little "old" to her as well.

Her favorite cologne of mine is the Polo Blue and I'm hoping the Vetiver will smell good as well...

Hey guys,
    Just been addicted to the forums for the past 10 hours and now I think I want to purchase another "aquatic" scent.

Could you guys help me choose one?

I have narrowed it down to:
    Halston Unbound
    Aqua de Bulgari
    Acqua di Giò

I don't even know if I should purchase another scent that is an Aquatic as I already own Polo Blue. I don't really want another one if I won't be able to tell the difference or if it isn't really worth it. I tend to put on one-two sprays in the morning before leaving home and maybe one more upon returning and one year old bottle of Polo Blue is still over 60% full so I don't know if it'll be overkill.

I think the main reason I want to go with an aquatic type smell is because Polo Blue is the scent I get the most compliments on, but I feel it doesn't last more than an hour or two. So longevity and I guess sillage(a new word I just learned!) are important to me.
    Also, I just ordered some Guerlain Vetiver if that influences opinions is some way.

I'm not much of an aquatic fan, but Polo Blue and Lanvin L'Homme are my favorites in the category. That said, I suggest Lanvin L'homme over those 3 - especially if you care about longevity.

Blog Entries

I don't know if this would really classify as aquatic...but it's very fresh, light, and a little fruity: Kenneth Cole Reaction. I always get TONS of compliments when I wear it, and it lasts longer than quite a few of the fresher frags out there. Another one I really like is Clinique Happy. It's very fresh w/ loads of citrus, but w/ this one longevity really is a problem. I have to reapply throughout the day when I wear this.

Also, as a couple have already mentioned, Azzaro Chrome is WONDERFUL. To me it smells a bit like CK One, only more metallic (which is not a bad thing!). And the longevity may just be what you're looking for!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thanks guys.

I'm thinking about picking up a cheap bottle of the Untamed from TJ Maxx or Marshalls.

Maybe I'll hold off on a pricier bottle like the Bulgari until I get the Vetiver and see how much I like that.

The Givency Blue Label looks good too though...
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 9th July 2006 at 04:38 PM.

I like Blue Label alot, but prefer Aqua de Bulgari over it.

Do you know how the Aqua de Bulgari longevity/sillage compares to Polo Blue/ Givency Blue Label?

Do you know how the Aqua de Bulgari longevity/sillage compares to Polo Blue/ Givency Blue Label?
    It's got more body than the other two.
    The Halston is a more fuller Cool Water (which is another one to look at).
    The Acqua di Gio is probably the best going by sales BUT...
    personally, i'd go for Laguna Homme. Very, very smooth, with tobacco-like sillage, you'll get plenty of trail. A little hard to find though so trawl the internet for a bottle and don't pay more than $30 for it.

at the start of this thread i would have suggested YSL Rive Gauche PH, but now that you're talkin aquatics, my only piece of advice would be to think long about aqua di gio. it's solid, but in a major metropolitan area, i can Imagine LOTS of people have it.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I think I will steer clear of aqua de gio because its basically everywhere. I ordered the Guerlain Vetiver which I hope to be able to wear as a signature daily scent. I basically want something fresh smelling which will get noticed some. I love the Polo Green, but SO thinks it smells too "old". Hope the Vetiver doesn't smell too "old".

Just waiting for that bottle is killin me, I'm having to stop myself from ordering others during my wait.
    I was leaning towards ordering Bulgari Aqua or something along those lines, but I decided to wait until I get the Vetiver and see what thats like.

I see how easy it would be to just keep accumulating scents because so many things get rave reviews, but I always wanted to have a signature scent that I would wear the majority of the time. I just like it when I sit on the couch and smell a little Polo left by my dad and I remember him. I always wanted to have that myself, but I may be too young to find a sig scent already...

yeah it's like getting married.. you gotta sow some wild oats first, play the field before you settle down with a sig. get some samples from the store.. you might only take em out a couple times, or even just have a one night stand with some..
    Last edited by dr_adamg; 10th July 2006 at 12:36 AM.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    yeah it's like getting married.. you gotta sow some wild oats first, play the field before you settle down with a sig.
    Lol, nice.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    yeah it's like getting married.. you gotta sow some wild oats first, play the field before you settle down with a sig. get some samples from the store.. you might only take em out a couple times, or even just have a one night stand with some..
    Then i'm the playboy of scent.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I think I will steer clear of aqua de gio because its basically everywhere. I ordered the Guerlain Vetiver which I hope to be able to wear as a signature daily scent. I basically want something fresh smelling which will get noticed some. I love the Polo Green, but SO thinks it smells too "old". Hope the Vetiver doesn't smell too "old".
    My boy, there's no such thing as a scent that makes you smell "old". It's the application that does that. If you like Polo, go for it. At least it would be a great evening frag. A tip to try:

Point the bottle at you from an arm's length away, with your thumb on the sprayer. One spritz sends a cloud of scent your way, walk through it. Put your clothes on and walk out the door for awhile and see if you can now wear Polo comfortably. Try it in the evenings when its cooler.

Thanks for the advice milamber. I will definately give that a try. One question I have though. My bottle of Polo(green) is a splash type of bottle. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to apply it sparingly using that type of bottle?

Thanks for the advice milamber. I will definately give that a try. One question I have though. My bottle of Polo(green) is a splash type of bottle. Do you guys have any recommendations on how to apply it sparingly using that type of bottle?
    Buy an empty spray bottle and stick the nozzle into your Polo.

Hey guys,
    Just been addicted to the forums for the past 10 hours and now I think I want to purchase another "aquatic" scent.

Could you guys help me choose one?

I have narrowed it down to:
    Halston Unbound
    Aqua de Bulgari
    Acqua di Giò

I don't even know if I should purchase another scent that is an Aquatic as I already own Polo Blue. I don't really want another one if I won't be able to tell the difference or if it isn't really worth it. I tend to put on one-two sprays in the morning before leaving home and maybe one more upon returning and one year old bottle of Polo Blue is still over 60% full so I don't know if it'll be overkill.

I think the main reason I want to go with an aquatic type smell is because Polo Blue is the scent I get the most compliments on, but I feel it doesn't last more than an hour or two. So longevity and I guess sillage(a new word I just learned!) are important to me.
    Also, I just ordered some Guerlain Vetiver if that influences opinions is some way.
    I don't like Polo Blue much, nor most of the other "Blue" one's (except the Bvlgari one). I'd try testing Unbound or Laguna definitely. Also check out L'Eau D'Issey for a long lasting aquatic woody scent - which probably won't grab you straight away.
    Kenzo Homme is the most marine scent I know of, with it's great smell of seaweed - ultra long lasting - but no woman seems to like it.
    Renato

How would you compare the L'Eau D'Issey with Guerlain Vetiver?

I guess they are both outdoorsy type smells but the L'Eau D'Issey seems to be lighter and from the reviews is a pretty big hit with the ladies.
    Seems like the Vetiver might be usable in all seasons while the L'Eau D'Issey is more of a summer scent?

How would you compare the L'Eau D'Issey with Guerlain Vetiver?

I guess they are both outdoorsy type smells but the L'Eau D'Issey seems to be lighter and from the reviews is a pretty big hit with the ladies.
    Seems like the Vetiver might be usable in all seasons while the L'Eau D'Issey is more of a summer scent?
    Oh boy, i hope you're not setting yourself up for a hard fall with your high expectations for Guerlain Vertiver. The new formulation has an almost astringent petrochemical note in its drydown that is reminiscent of Fahrenheit. GV is another scent that is perfect for the walkthrough, to dissipate that harsh note that Guerlain calls "vertiver". Not that it's unwearable, it is afterall one of my fav scents (but i use the old formulation), it just has to be worn right. If you can pull it off, GV ties you in to a very long and fine tradition in perfumery. None of your buddies in Giorgiatech will be wearing it for sure, let alone heard its name! (i may be wrong about that though. Techies have grown very scent-sible these days! LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Oh boy, i hope you're not setting yourself up for a hard fall with your high expectations for Guerlain Vertiver. The new formulation has an almost astringent petrochemical note in its drydown that is reminiscent of Fahrenheit. GV is another scent that is perfect for the walkthrough, to dissipate that harsh note that Guerlain calls "vertiver". Not that it's unwearable, it is afterall one of my fav scents (but i use the old formulation), it just has to be worn right. If you can pull it off, GV ties you in to a very long and fine tradition in perfumery. None of your buddies in Giorgiatech will be wearing it for sure, let alone heard its name! (i may be wrong about that though. Techies have grown very scent-sible these days! LOL!)
    Lol,
    I hope I am not either, but I do have pretty high expectation for it. Basically I'm searching for something that could become a signature scent, not really for something just to use for a month or two. It seems like after describing my likes of Polo(green and blue) the Vetiver was the most recommended cologne so I went with that. But reading about the L'Eau D'Issey definately gets me curious as well. I don't know how popular that is in the States, but no one I know here owns it.

One other thing that concered me with wearing the Vetiver is that it seems like a love it/hate it type of fragrance, which I'm not sure is something one would want with a "signature" or daily wear type of scent...

Also, any comments to how ladies seem to react to the Vetiver?
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 10th July 2006 at 01:19 PM.

I think I'm going to go ahead and place an order for a bottle of L'Eau D'Issey as well.

Any comments on the general reactions by ladies to the Guelain Vetiver?

georgiatech, have you tried Body Kouros?
    smells damn good and the ladies seems to love it also

and yes, its longlasting!

Hey,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I have actually not tried Body Kouros, but from the reviews I read it seems to be warm and vanillic, and those aren't what I'm really looking for.

I guess I want more cool and woodsy. Hopefully the Vetiver will fulfill these needs. I also picked up a bottle of the Unbound today, very fruity, perhaps more than I can tolerate. Smells strongly of watermelon I think, lol, almost smell like watermelon Koolaid. Anyway, I will try it a few more times before making a decision on it, but so far, I definately prefer the Polo Blue to this.

GT Boy, you seem to basically just want something fresh and good that will be a crowd pleaser, but you also want at least a little personality as you intentionally steered clear of Aqua di Gio. I hope you like the Vetiver, but I honestly can't quite see it being one you are looking for. I haven't tried it in a while, and my nose has grown a lot since I last idid try it, so maybe my opinion shouldn't hold much weight, but I found it somewhat difficult to like. Not bad or anything, just not something I could see someone new to fragrance being totally comfortable wearing. Hopefully you'll prove me wrong though. It is definately quality stuff, I just don't think it's what you're looking for as far as something that will woo the ladies.

Out of the other scents that got brought up, I HIGHLY recommend Bulgari Aqua. I feel like it's exactly what you're looking for. It's fresh without being boring, and it has good sillage and outstanding longevity. It lasts for many hours and if I put it on at night I can sometimes smell it the next day. Also, this has been unanimously applauded by the ladies and one guy even complimented it on me once. Top notch stuff compliments aside though.

Blue Label is a scent that I tried for the very first time yesterday. The opening was a bit shaky, but after that it seemed really good. I didn't give it a full wearing though so I can't fully back this recommendation, so I would just go with the Bulgari. Oh, and the key to getting the Bulgari Aqua to smell its best is to spray far away from you body. Trust me, you will still get enough power with it doing that.

Thanks for the advice Giraffe. Yeah, I won't be getting the Vetiver for another 3 days, so I guess I'll have to wait to comment on that one, but it was definately the most recommended to me after I mentioned that I like Polo(green and blue).

The Bulgari aqua definately sounded like something I would like, as I like the Polo Blue, the only thing stopping me from getting that was that it seems like it would be a summer only scent. I am trying to find a "signature" scent as I feel like I would like to be able to be remembered by a scent. While I don't need something that all the girls will love and ask me about, I would like something that they wouldn't dislike.

Hopefully the Vetiver will appeal to both me and the girls somewhat. I guess I'll have to wait and find out. I'm thinking about stopping by Sephora today and giving a try to the Vetiver, Bulgari Blue and L'Eau D'Issey to try and compare/contrast but I find it very hard to choose a fragrance smelling it once at the store.

I guess one other reason I didn't want to go with the Bulgari aqua was I thought it may be too similar to Polo Blue to justify having both of them...
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 10th July 2006 at 07:58 PM.

Not Bulgari Blue but Bulgari Aqua my friend

Whoops, my fault.
    I will edit that.

Ok,

So I went to Sephora today and tried the Guerlain Vetiver. Lol, definately think I should have done that before placing the order online. I've had it on for about 3 hours now and while it isn't bad, it definately isn't something that I think of as being what I'd want to smell like.

I think its just a little too something, I can't find the right word, but I think I need to move to something else. I tried on the L'Eau D'Issey while I was there on paper, and I didn't like it too much, but it wasn't bad.

Guess I'm back to square one...
    Care to help me with some more suggestions?
    I think I'm going to shower and go back and try on the Bulgari Aqua(although I dislike AdG and the Unbound).

I do enjoy the Polo Blue a lot as well as the green(although I think I'd like something closer to blue, cuz the gf thinks the green smells to "old").

Anything from Chanel or Guerlain you guys think I would enjoy?
    I was trying to get something a little "higher end" than the Polo's I own...

From Chanel I already mentioned Platinum Egoiste.
    From Guerlain, you could try Habit Rouge Eau Legere, if you can find it.

Some others to consider;
    Rochas Aquaman and Eau de Rochas
    Boucheron pour homme
    Hugo Boss Baldessarini
    Davidoff Good Life
    Kenzo Air
    Lancome Miracle L'Aquatonic
    Thierry Mugler Mugler Cologne
    Van Cleef & Arpels Tsar
    YSL Live Jazz

GT, just so you know, Sephora is really nice about making samples. They'll make you at least 3 without complaining, maybe more. Then you can wear stuff around the house and get a really good feel for it. And I've got some other good news: I too went to Sephora today, and tried the Vetiver again, and now I really like it! So don't get discouraged, it may grow on you. I'm not saying it definately will, but at least give it a chance. As far as your worrying that Bulgari Aqua (not to be confused with Bulgari Blu, which isn't particularly fresh if I recall) only being a summer scent, I would say that it has enough power that it has pretty decent versatility. The other thing is, limiting yourself to one scent might not be realistic if you're going to so picky about it being perfect in every situation. No scent will be perfect at all times, that is a sacrifice you make by having a signature scent. If you want to keep the number down though, maybe you could have a fresh scent like Bulgari Aqua for the Spring/Summer and find a warmer scent you like for the Fall/Winter. Just a thought. Someone earlier mentioned Body Kouros, which might be a good one to consider if you do in fact want a nice fall/winter scent.

Thanks for the info guys.

Can anyone give me suggestions for a "modern" Polo Green?
    I think that is definately my favorite cologne right now(with Polo blue behind it).