Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Shame on you Neiman Marcus! Boo! Hiss!

I finally decided to do it--expand my niche fragrances beyond Bond and my one bottle of Creed--and L'Artisan Parfumeur it was going to be. It wasn't a difficult choice. After thoroughly checking out Neiman Marcus' website and perusing my options, I decided to sample three (Passage D'Enfer, Timbuktu and Dzing!) and buy one--possibly two--of the 50mls. I was psyched and couldn't wait!!!

I arrived at 7:30 on Friday and was immediately greeted by an SA. She looked puzzled when I told her what I was looking for. She directed me to someone else in the department who then proceeded to tell me: "I'm sorry, but we don't carry that here in the Atlanta store. It's only in our larger stores, like Dallas." WHAT? YOU DON'T CARRY IT?!?! I was so PISSED! How could they not carry it? It's on their website. How much room do you actually need to sell a fragrance line? A larger store, please. "You can't get that anywhere here in Atlanta," he added. Gee, thanks for rubbing it in, buddy.

Another SA, who was standing there at the counter with Levone, quickly jumped in and tried to sell me on Clive Christian. I told her how disappointed I was that Neiman's didn't carry L'Artisan and what my intentions were with expanding my niche base. "Well, this is around the same price as Bond," she commented on 1872. Uhhhhh, hardly. Granted, both 1872 and X were really nice and of exceptional quality, but that wasn't what I wanted and I had NO intentions of spending $265 for one 50ml bottle! At least not on my current salary! And she obviously didn't know what she was talking about regarding price which really, REALLY put me off--especially in a store like that.

So I guess I'll order my samples online and make my purchases via the internet as well. I don't think I'll go to Neiman Marcus again. The whole experience left a foul smell in the air. But I will go see my new friend at the Bond counter at Saks and tell him about the bargain he's selling.

I just had to get that off my chest.

Default Re: Shame on you Neiman Marcus! Boo! Hiss!

go to beautycafe.com. you get 10% off when you type BASENOTES in as a coupon code, and free samples from the house of your choice with a $100 purchase.

Yeah--- even Neiman Marcus here in Beverly Hills gave me some problems. I was going to buy a Jacket from Karl Lagerfeld and when it's time to pay, I gave them my Wells Fargo Platinum Visa Card. The SA told me that they don't take Visas. Only Neiman's credit card. I got frustrated and walked out of the store. The day I bought the Creed Feuille Verte , I had to pay cash. I don't think I'll go back there to shop for clothes. I don't like taking a lot of cash with me. That's what a debit card if for. They lost a customer with their stupid policies.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Yeah--- even Neiman Marcus here in Beverly Hills gave me some problems. I was going to buy a Jacket from Karl Lagerfeld and when it's time to pay, I gave them my Wells Fargo Platinum Visa Card. The SA told me that they don't take Visas. Only Neiman's credit card. I got frustrated and walked out of the store. The day I bought the Creed Feuille Verte , I had to pay cash. I don't think I'll go back there to shop for clothes. I don't like taking a lot of cash with me. That's what a debit card if for. They lost a customer with their stupid policies.
    Actually, they also take American Express cards (and have since 1987).

Still, I agree... their card policy stinks... but I hear that they're trying to evaluate whether to change or not, as they just completed a test of expanded payment methods at their St. Louis store. (Oddly enough, their website takes almost every payment method... I guess that's why they did the test.)
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I feel your frustration. I live in the Atlanta area as well and the only places you can go to sample niche fragrances are Saks at Phipps Plaza and Neiman's at Lennox. Besides, the only niche Saks carries are Clive Christian and Bond no. 9 and Neiman's only carries Creed. You're in real trouble if you live in ATL and want to go sample Villoresi, L'Artisan, Malle, or god forbid - the export line of Serge Lutens (I asked for Serge Lutens at Saks my first time there and they looked at me like I was speaking my father's native Sierre Leone tribal language!). Luscious Cargo used to be a great place to purchase other niches such as L'Artisan (it was located in downtown Alpharetta and they did know about Serge Lutens) but they relocated to Florida. Therefore, Beauty Cafe is a great suggestion. Also check out Aedes (www.aedes.com) and Lucky Scent (www.luckyscent.com). You would think that a city as large as Atlanta could supply more than Creed, Bond No. 9, and Clive Christian! (I had to get this off my chest and I feel much better now!)

Unhappy Re: Shame on you Neiman Marcus! Boo! Hiss!

Sorry to hear that ZF, I kind of fell your pain.

There's this department store chain in Canada called "The Bay" and they have a perfume counter in the store. The one closet to me, which is about a 10 minute drive doesn't even carry YSL. I have to make another 20 minute drive to sample YSL at their other location.

I noticed if you go to "The Bay" stores closer to downtown, their perfume counter selection gets better.

It is odd the way this works. I was at Macy's in Burbank, chatting with the SA. She told me that the Macy's in Glendale (just East of where we were) has a much larger perfume department. I always assumed a Macy's is a Macy's, but maybe some central manager with a computer that sizes departments based on floor space. Who knows. But it is very very disappointing to go to a store and they don't carry what is on the web site. The least they could do is keep some bottles in back.

Joel_Cairo...you are a saint! I didn't know about the discount and Beautycafe. I love that website! They carry lots of the good one like MPG and CSP and L'artisan. Thanks.

I buy most of my fragrances online.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th July 2006 at 09:36 AM.

Every time I go to Needless Markup they are nothing short of disrespectful. They Follow me around like I'm gonna steal. An sa there asked me "isn't Lutens a cough drop?" ha ha.
    boooooooooooooo
    m

"isn't Lutens a cough drop?" ha ha.
    boooooooooooooo
    m

LOL!!!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

the Neiman's here in St. Louis doesn't carry L'Artisan either. I will say that there are a few SA's that work there that are quite pleasant. I'd go back if they'd start carrying some niche stuff besides Creed ( Their retail price for the Creeds is ridiculous).

The Neimans here in Orlando,Florida doesn't even have Creed...just your average designer stuff. Now THAT really sucks.

KO
    Last edited by knightowl; 9th July 2006 at 08:32 AM.

Explorator Dumpsterorum

Quote Originally Posted by marczilla
    ..."isn't Lutens a cough drop?"...boooooooooooooo
    m

But how can you be mad at a store for not carrying the fragrance you want to buy? If they have it on their website I guess they could order it for you, no? If not, then it is weird, but I still see no reason why one would get angry over such a thing. Dissapointed I can see...

Here's how I can be upset with a store for not carrying a fragrance:

One would expect a certain level of customer service with a caliber of store like Neiman Marcus or Saks and having the right merchandise assortment is certainly a type of customer service. I feel this is extremely important in this day and age since online shopping is so easy and every type of merchandise under the sun can be found with a simple google. It's the job of merchandise planners and buyers to research the marketplace, in this case Atlanta, and offer the goods that would benefit their customers and the company for which they work.

Atlanta is prime market for L'Artisan, in my opinion. We are a major metropolitan city--with some level of taste and class believe it or not--and no one here carries it. I've found that out myself and even the SA that waited on me Friday night knew this. I'm sure I wasn't the first customer to come in looking for this product. This is the type of thing that should be communicated between stores and the buying office. By not having L'Artisan in the Atlanta Neiman Marcus they missed on a sale, or two, and possible more from me in the future, left that "foul smell in the air" that I mentioned earlier, and caused me to diss them in this forum.

Neiman's was smart enough to carry the Thierry Mugler line knowing that they would have an exclusive contract with them for Lenox Square Mall. For a long time Mugler would only allow one store per mall to carry his product and this still may be his policy. Macy's lost numerous sales because of this exclusive contract. Other Macy's stores in the Atlanta area carried the Mugler line during that time but I'm sure most shoppers walked down the mall and purchased their product from Neiman's instead. Let's say I was looking for Emporio Armani Night. If I went to Macy's and they didn't carry it I always have Dillards, Parisian, Nordstrom, Sephora, Perfumania--whatever else is there in the mall--from which to choose. I don't have that option here with L'Artisan. Neiman's benefited from their exclusive contract and so did their customers.

So what gives here? Either Neiman's isn't doing their job now researching and planning or they feel those stupid southerners wouldn't know what L'Artisan Parfumeur was if it was shoved up their nose. Whatever the reason is, it's just poor customer service. Poor Atlanta....the city too busy to care.

I have no problem buying online, but....well.....that's a topic for another thread. I'm ordering my samples online today! And thanks Joel Cairo for the BeautyCafe discount tip. Now THAT'S customer service!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zestyfresh
    Neiman's was smart enough to carry the Thierry Mugler line knowing that they would have an exclusive contract with them for Lenox Square Mall. For a long time Mugler would only allow one store per mall to carry his product and this still may be his policy. Macy's lost numerous sales because of this exclusive contract.
    That's not the case with Thierry Mugler anymore. They're still selective in their doors (which is why you see some Macy's stores but not others carrying the brand), but not as selective as in the past. For comparison purposes, Thierry Mugler was in about 400 US doors two years ago, but that number has since doubled to about 800+.

At the Northbrook Court mall near Chicago, I saw that both Marshall Field's and Neiman Marcus carried Mugler products (but Field's, oddly enough, had a bigger selection than NM). Likewise, at Woodfield, both Nordstrom and Marshall Field's carried Mugler stuff... but, this time, Nordie's took the cake.

Same goes for Indianapolis, where Mugler is sold at both Saks and Parisian at Keystone mall. And, near Cleveland, all three anchor stores at Beachwood Place mall (Dillard's, Nordstrom, and Saks) carried Mugler stuff.
    Celebrating 10 years on Basenotes - and smelling better than ever

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

I posted in the other section about this but again Joel is spot on...I recently purchased from beautycafe.com...and they couldn't have been nicer. I'm not going to go into all that here, I posted in the other forum...but they are fantastic...HIGHLY reccommended..

sample them at stores and buy decants or online. Since internet commerce has gotten so much better regarding hard to find stuff like electronics,sporting goods,clothings,cd's,etc I hardly buy anything at retail stores anymore. I think 95% of my purchase has been online.Most of the retail stores don't carry hard to find items, unless of course you live in cities such as L.A or NYC.

Additionally, even if your NM carries the line they don't necessarily carry it all. I remember going to mine to be disappointed that they carried the whole line EXCEPT the one I specifically went in to buy: D'Zing. Ugh. I only go to NM for a fragrance when I have to. I'm not a Creedophile and one of the Creed SA's really bugs me so I'm happy to walk right past his counter. The fragrance area of our NM has so many SA's working in it, each representing their own line that they practically maul you as you decide what you are interested in.

I must say that I question some of the department stores....they almost act as if they don't want to be in business. Niche fragrance is impossible to find at most malls.....I do believe that the dept. stores are making huge mistakes...and yet I do understand why their buyers won't buy some of the Niche fragrance. They are afraid that the stock won't move. Many of the scents that we basenoters love would not be purchased by the average shopper.
    Sorry for the way that the SA's treated you.....sounds like they need some customer service training.
    Gary

It's amazing to me how comfey the dept. stores seem to feel when the internet has been and will continue to eat their lunch. As mentioned before, one would think that they would carry at least a small cache' of their niche line and even if they don't carry it, they should lie and say they are just temporarily out of stock and "let me give you a coupon for free shipping to use on our website" or "May I place an order for you?"
    Also, it seems their marketing people are clueless to the power of word of mouth as well as the concept of focused marketing. They should advertize free samples of their niche frags on every frag. group and blog they can find.
    Some day soon they will look back in dismay as the internet merchants laugh in their faces and proceed to eat their desert.

Overcome By Fumes

Nods head in assent with the disappointment at department stores and practically any others in the South in carrying interesting artisanal material.

I have seen a number of items from the L'Artisan line at Stella Nova in Charleston, but that's the only place I can think of other than Florida or Texas in the South that carries L'Artisan. I recall my jaw dropping when at a Belk department store in Greenville, SC and seeing a bunch of Annick Goutal items there at incredibly cheap prices--apparently they had carried the line a while, but no one had heard of AG and they could hardly sell any. Sadly, I am afraid that part of the reason you can't find nice material in many places is the fact that there really is not the demand, and in some locations, people just are not willing to experiment enough with new and unusual fragrances enough to make it worthwhile for a store to carry a line like L'Artisan. And yes, when there is a monthly rent per square foot, and you have to pay your sales associates, there is a certain logic to not stocking every store with everything. But it does result in me buying things on the internet or in larger metropolises like New York, and the Atlanta or Knoxville store is much less likely to earn my dollar.

I live in Atlanta and go to neimans and saks often. I LOVE the selection they have. I'm not really that into niche stuff.....its to expensive for me. Except i do like some creeds (not many though) and i really like a lot of the bonds. Is Bond no.9 considered niche?????? There is a black woman that works at saks named Joy who is really nice and is very helpful. Maybe not the most knowledgeable about frangrance but very nice just the same. Also, at neimans, there is a woman in her late fifties with blond hair who is sweet and VERY knowledgeable about fragrances. She has that fragrance certification. I'm very pleased with saks and neimans. Macys and bloomingdales, though, suck.
    Last edited by rosbergs3; 11th July 2006 at 01:47 AM.
    Awesomeguy

Having an item on a website doesn't guarantee or imply level of existance in a brick and mortar store. That may not seem right or fair to you, but that's just the facts of the matter.

As to why retail outlets will probably never change their style of business is because the internet doesn't provide much of a threat. Yes, an increasing number of people are turning to online shopping but it won't ever replace impulse shopping at the mall. When you walk into a store you can try things, look at them, be swayed before you have a chance to think it out; online you either know what it looks/smells/feels/tastes like, or you're willing to take the gamble.
    The pursuit of philosophy is the hope that there is more to life than we realize. By philosophy, however, we come to realize that in fact there is less to life than previously imagined.

Quote Originally Posted by Informer
    Having an item on a website doesn't guarantee or imply level of existance in a brick and mortar store. That may not seem right or fair to you, but that's just the facts of the matter.

As to why retail outlets will probably never change their style of business is because the internet doesn't provide much of a threat. Yes, an increasing number of people are turning to online shopping but it won't ever replace impulse shopping at the mall. When you walk into a store you can try things, look at them, be swayed before you have a chance to think it out; online you either know what it looks/smells/feels/tastes like, or you're willing to take the gamble.
    Makes perfect sense. Great post!

KO