Code of Conduct

Thread: Rochas Macassar

Default Rochas Macassar

Has anyone else tried this? This has become my favorite fragrance. Manly and refined without being too overpowering. I'm bad at describing notes but what stands out to me is wood (ebony?), bergamot, vetiver, geranium and pine. I'm just curious as to what other people think of it.

Here are the notes listed in osmoz:

Top note : Bergamot, Artemisia, Pine Needle, Fruity Note

Middle note : Jasmine, Carnation, Patchouli, Geranium

Base note : Vetiver, Leather, Oakmoss, Musk
    Last edited by AZsmells; 11th July 2006 at 05:48 PM.

Default Re: Rochas Macassar

Sigh, you often find these great fragrances that turn out to be almost unavailable. I am having no luck finding Macassar in an online store.

A somking fougere. I'm in love with Macassar. I was so lucky to find TWO 100ml of it in Casablanca - Morocco last month. Bring back the oldies, Rochas!

I bought this for a basenotes buddy....All i could find was a mni....
    This stuff is testosterone laden.......will definitely put hair on your chest. I found it to be VERY strong with a sort of charred smell. All those who want those heavy duty masculine scents.....this is the flag bearer....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo_Gals
    I bought this for a basenotes buddy....All i could find was a mni....
    This stuff is testosterone laden.......will definitely put hair on your chest. I found it to be VERY strong with a sort of charred smell. All those who want those heavy duty masculine scents.....this is the flag bearer....LOL
    The Macassar I have is in the new bottle. All the minis I've seen online are in the old bottle. I wonder if the juice was changed. I'm tempted to buy a mini just to compare the two.

Yes.....do!!! it would be good to know if the scent is different now.
    let us know what you find out

I've tried to find this off and on for a while - no luck so far.

Adeel says that he got the "new bottle". I had seen one of the reviews in the Basenotes Directory from a year or two ago mention that the product was back on the Rochas website. Does this mean that it is in production again? I certainly haven't been able to find any online or find the Rochas web site either.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Adeel says that he got the "new bottle". I had seen one of the reviews in the Basenotes Directory from a year or two ago mention that the product was back on the Rochas website. Does this mean that it is in production again? I certainly haven't been able to find any online or find the Rochas web site either.
    Well, I found the website, and Macassar is on it...but it's in French.

http://www.rochas.com/

If you click through (Parfums, Homme, Macassar, Pyramide Olfactive) you can get to the pyramid, which is pretty easy to read, even for those of us who don't know French.

I see it on the website too but don't know how to order it. I was looking for this everywhere online and in perfume stores and I just happened to find it one day when I wasn't even looking for it. I asked them if they will ever get any more and they said they don't know. I even looked on ebay but I could never find one. I did see one of the new bottles on french ebay a couple months ago but it sold for $150 US.
    I have one bottle of this for sale on ebay right now if anyone is interested.
    Last edited by AZsmells; 11th July 2006 at 10:50 PM.

Overcome By Fumes

This was remarkably easy to find in virtually any corner perfumery in Paris 2 years ago. Clearly Rochas is selective in what they choose to export. It seems they are not the only one who doesn't bother marketing chypres to North Americans (Can you say Chanel pour Monsieur?). If you know of anyone traveling to France, they should be able to get you a bottle fairly easily.

The people at Imaginationperfumery.com told me that Macassar has been discontinued. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's nowhere to be found. By all accounts, it's still readily available in Europe.

It's hard to know what to make of the news that it's been discontinued since the bottle is still featured on their website, but I am more willing to trust the Imaginationperfumery.com people because I have found that designer websites tend to be, in most cases, notoriously out of date and not subject to regular updating. Many times such websites don't even list all their products and usually only the list the new or popular ones. Did M7 Fresh ever appear on any YSL website? Ever?

scentemental

Did M7 Fresh ever appear on any YSL website? Ever?
    Actually M7 Fresh is on their website - YSL.com. The website is one of those artistic, Macromedia Flash productions so I don't know how to give a link but if you select English/Beauty/Men/M7 you will see it.

Quote Originally Posted by dcampen
    Actually M7 Fresh is on their website - YSL.com. The website is one of those artistic, Macromedia Flash productions so I don't know how to give a link but if you select English/Beauty/Men/M7 you will see it.
    So it is, but the interesting thing is that it's not given a separate listing with all the other YSL fragrances but is hidden in with the M7 ancillary product range. It's there with M7 Aftershave and Aftershave Balm.

How very strange, but how typically of YSL, which expect for Kouros and its spin offs, has this strange obession, at least in the US, of hiding all their fragrances from retail view. They then wonder why they lag behind in sales when compared to other companies. Who the hell makes such decision as to bury M7 Fresh in with M7's ancillary range? That makes such good business, doesn't it?. Take the trouble to develop an excellent fragrance and then bump it down to ancillary status and keep it obscured from view. Real clever stuff that.

I think many designer companies have a long way to go before they fully utilize all the resources of the web. The traditional designer companies don't really seem to get it or to really care that much about the online profile of their products. This is particularly the case with men's fragrance. A case in point is the Christian Lacroix website, which doesn't even list Tumulte Pour Homme as one of its releases. It has a Macromedia Flash production for Tumulte Pour Femme, but nothing about Tumulte Pour Homme at all. It seems that if you want information about designer releases many times their offical websites are the worst places to go. Where did many of us find out about Tumulte Pour Home, from the e-retailer Strawberrynet.com, that's where, which is why I am predisposed to believe the folks at Imaginationperfumery.com when it comes to Macassar being discountinued, despite the listing of Rochas's official website to the contrary.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 12th July 2006 at 11:04 AM.

I agree that companies need to market their products better. I did buy M7 Fresh at Marshall Fields but it was hidden behind the counter. I do remember seeing M7 Testers and Rive Gauche testers on display a few years back but overall I agree these companies have no idea how to market.

As for Macassar I hope it isn't discontinued again. Obviously it was reintroduced a few years ago even according to the reviews in the directory. Also it can be seen in some online perfume stores but they all say out of stock.

scentemental you have good taste in fragrances and nice reviews I'm curious to know what you thought of the Macassar decant I sent you.

I also sent a Macassar decant to someone else I think maybe stuigi. I want to hear your thoughts too.

Also I haven't really tried any of the other Rochas scents except Rochas Man which is too sweet for me. Are any of the other Rochas scents any good?

Talking Re: Rochas Macassar

here in Belgium, no prob to find Macassar in the perfume stores...

a good country to live in :-)