Code of Conduct

Question "Black" Fragrances? kenneth cole, polo, bulgari...

I have some questions about "black" fragrances.

While looking through the directory I always look at "black" editions of fragrances to see if I can discern what makes them a "black" fragrance. But thus far most black fragrances I've looked at seem to have notes that aren't similar in any way. So are black fragraces supposed to be typified by certain notes? Are there certain other characteristics that make a fragrance black, or have companies gotten a little to liberal with the term and are using it mostly to give people certain impressions about the fragrance, like that it is a night fragrance or a "dark"
    scent. From what i have been led to believe a "black" is supposed to be like bulgari black, with black notes, like tea, tar, or rubber. But polo black for instance doesn't seem like a black frag at all. So really, what are some good examples of black, and what makes them so?
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Default Re: "Black" Fragrances? kenneth cole, polo, bulgari...

I think "Black" is just the trendy new version of a mans scent. Just about all of them are as far removed from what I would call a "black" or even "dark" smell! Polo Black, VERY light and fruity, Boss Black Edition again VERY light. To be honest black seems to mean doesnt last! Both the scents I mentioned hardly last an hour on me.

Hmmm

Thrax

I cant wait until they start doing "pink" versions of stuff. Because is'nt pink suppose to be the new black? Hmmm.....

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy_Thrax
    I cant wait until they start doing "pink" versions of stuff. Because is'nt pink suppose to be the new black? Hmmm.....
    LOL!

Kenneth Cole Black is wonderful and long lasting mind, the same goes for Bulgari. Me thinks the problems seem to start when its a "Special Black Edition" basically means lighter, fresher and weaker!

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    LOL!

Kenneth Cole Black is wonderful and long lasting mind, the same goes for Bulgari. Me thinks the problems seem to start when its a "Special Black Edition" basically means lighter, fresher and weaker!

well what made me start this thread was looking at "Higher Black" by dior, is it lighter and weaker?
    anyone tried it?

...sweet i just made ** "member"!!
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    well what made me start this thread was looking at "Higher Black" by dior, is it lighter and weaker?
    anyone tried it?

...sweet i just made ** "member"!!
    Exactly the same! Was told its just a black bottle and in 75ml

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CoL
    I think "Black" is just the trendy new version of a mans scent. Just about all of them are as far removed from what I would call a "black" or even "dark" smell! Polo Black, VERY light and fruity, Boss Black Edition again VERY light. To be honest black seems to mean doesnt last! Both the scents I mentioned hardly last an hour on me.

Hmmm
    I totally agree. Most of them just do NOT seem like a "black" fragrance. Bulgari is an exception though. I can't pinpoint it, but it does seem rather "black". We'll have to see what Polo Double Black is like, lol.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

A lot of the black fragrances don't seem very black to me either. Too citrusy and bright. Bulgari Black is so far the blackest of the black scents. Stick to that. Other scents that would have made great "black" scents are:
    1. DK Fuel.
    2. Costume National Scent Intense.
    3. Givenchy Gentleman.
    4. Azzaro PH.
    5. YSL RG.
    6. M7.
    7. Michael Kors.