Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Teaser #59

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #49.

Sorry, not familiar with Pucci. OK, tzar, tzarina...

Alessandro dell Acqua?

Gucci Envy Me is the only thing that comes to mind. I'm completely stumped!

Isabella Rossellini?

My guess is Basile Femme. I had a bottle ages ago and I still remember its black collar and "shoulders"...and Gianfranco Basile was famous for his silk ties and scarves. However, I cannot find any relation to the tzarina, as hard as I try!

Edited to add that since I couldn't remember the notes at all, a google search ended up with: Lavender, Jasmine, Rose, Carnation, Lily of the valley, Cedar, Tonka, Musk, Sandal!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 29th July 2006 at 08:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Oleg Cassini Black Tie?

I think Lady in Black has got it!
    Basile, I think is a hint to the basilicas in Russia? (hence, "tzar, tzarina")
    Last edited by musse; 30th July 2006 at 03:52 PM.

musse - I agree! Here's a link to a picture of Basile Pour Femme on a discount site: http://www.imaginationperfumery.com/...fume-for-women

It's got a tan cap and all. I can't wait to find out what the "tsarina" hint means. Before this, I'd never even heard of Basile, but I may just try this stuff for that price!

Whew! That was a tough one, Twolf. (It wouldn't be fun if it was easy). Lady_in_Black, because of you, I can now relax this weekend and stop researching elusive Italian fragrances designers.

Talking Re: Teaser #49.

Great idea, musse! Let me elaborate a bit further. St. Basil is the most famous Russian cathedral, is located right on the Red Square in Moscow and was erected by order of tzar Ivan the Terrible. I also read that when St. Basil died, the whole city was pervaded by...perfume!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 30th July 2006 at 04:13 PM.

Impressive detective job, gals! (still looking for that thumbs-up icon)

And wolfie, where are you?
    Ok ok, I know three days isn´t long, hope everything is well and that you are not working too hard
    Last edited by vinterdroppe; 30th July 2006 at 01:13 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Sorry, guys, life happens, as they say on Basenotes. I could not reach Internet for the whole lot of three days, and boy was I missing everybody.

You got it right, Basile per Femme it is. Congratulations to Lady_in_Black for guessing it correctly and to everybody for your interest and support. The name "Basil" (or, its variations Basile and Vasilius) as translated from Greek means "king", "royal", or "tsar"/"tzar". They did not come up with a name for their fragrance, and they do not show its fruity top with delicious juicy nectarine and plum. Their scarves and ties are very very nice, though, and relatively affordable. Not sure about the fragrance at ImaginationPerfumery with the ivory/light tan top, but the one at Nell Butler's is around $75.

Please stay tuned for more.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #50.

Can't believe we got 50 of them. OK, here is #50. Word of caution: not Jacomo Paradox or CK Contradiction, but this is what I feel about this next fragrance.

Riddle #50.

I wear it twice a year, max,
    It never fails to stun.
    Green oriental, tempting wax,
    Cold burn or midnight sun.

Forgotten memories, tough love,
    Mimosa's harmless sin,
    Pachouli, dusty fruit, suede glove,
    Wet jungle, tonka gin.

Sincere lies, quiet riot, finesse,
    And Lucas Cranach's glee.
    I wear it twice a year, yes,
    And half of them it wears me!

Good luck and please stay in good spirits!

Farnesiana? (Caron)

Basenotes Institution

Nope. This one is greener and the flowers in it are not limited to mimosa only.

After thinking at Cranach's Adam unt Eve, I was tempted to say Desperate Housewives's Forbidden Fruit...
    But I know it's a wrong guess...

Basenotes Institution

The right reference, the wrong scent! Way to go, Magnifiscent!

Mmm... all these apples make me think to Sophie Marceau and her "La Boum" which was translated in italian as "Il tempo delle mele" referring to her jeunesse...

Eden, by Cacherel?

Changing approach--how about Prada: it has the notes, and Cranach has a number of pictures in the Prado. . . .(I'm obvously not very good at this, so I will give up now).
    Last edited by lilybp; 31st July 2006 at 01:42 PM.

Adam unt Eve...hmmm...

Tabu?

Basenotes Institution

Lilybp got it! Everybody is good at it, dear, and guessing it on the first try is good clean fun. And, if I get overjoyed writing them riddles, I can only imagine what fun it is to get them cracked. See, it is all there for everybody with clules and hints, and... (hush, do I start sound boring? )

It is Cacharel Eden (1994) with Jean Guichard being its nose. Totally disagree with Jan Moran about its being "ideal for lunches and garden parties", always want to add "to do WHAT at the garden party?" although totally agree about "why not yield to temptation" remark. Do please, if you can find it. Notes:
    Top: Bergamot, mandarin, peach;
    Heart: mimosa, orange blossom, lilac, tuberose, jasmine, rose, lily-0f-the-valley;
    Base: pachouli, cedar, sandal, tonka.

Eden is a very distictive fragrance indeed: fresh green oriental, which is a paradox by itself. Then come the notes and the images: it is suffocatingly fresh, with cold and stale fruity tuberose, deliciously tormenting mimosa and a soft thunder of tonka (I suppose I was overwhelmed to figure out what tonka smells like first in LouLou (1987) and then in Eden). It is eccentric, if you would, not your one-size-fits-all scent, and a relatively small amount of it will last and last. The bottle is jade green color and the box is a piece of art. There is also Eau d'Eden, but I just tested it without ever being a bottle owner, and, again, owning Eden does not really mean anything because it is a question who owns who.

Thanks for playing and feeling with me. Please stay connected and in good spirits!

Yay!! I love winning (even if I have substantially dimmed my glory by guessing again after I got it right)! My mother always said. "Go with your first instinct, dear (and I really hate it when she turns out to have been right!) Most of the credit really goes to Magnifiscent, though, for figuring out the painting.
    Last edited by lilybp; 1st August 2006 at 12:16 AM.

Basenotes Institution

It was, in fact, a different painting shown in the beginning of Desperate Housewives and the one accompaning Wikipedia article about the Garden of Eden. But Desperate Housewives was a right guess, I agree. (Could have been All About Eve/Adam, or Serpentine but the notes and the general feel would not fit the description in the riddle either).

I was digging deeper and another sourse shows that there are also notes of water lily, lotus leaves, peach, pine apple, melon and acacia in Cacharel Eden. The major giveaway was "wax", I think. So many noses....

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #51.

Hot hot hot today. Can't but think of gelato.

Riddle #51.

It's not so mainstream as his other creations,
    Yet letting my heart skip a beat.
    Half-sweet and half-ambery anticipations
    Half-end in half-powdery deceit.
    Its cones of gelato, captivatingly supple,
    Resilient suave aldehydes,
    They all have a ball with vivacious couple
    Of rose and honey. Besides,
    Its frothy vanilla and featherweight sandal,
    Oh! benzoin's playful chiffon!
    I'm brimming with pride, it's so easy to handle,
    With my next ball-gown, it's right on!

Not like my next ball is going to take place any time soon. Good luck and please stay cool and in good spirits in this heat!

Eau Belle d'Azzaro?

Basenotes Institution

Very good start, Tovah! I remember I have Eau Belle decant hiding somewhere, need to dig it out and retest! But, sorry, not this one. With a few Italian super fragrant detectives among us, I just have to make these Italian riddles super difficult! At the end (and I guess we will stop at, hmm, may be one hundred, if nobody gets too exhausted or bored before?) we all will be Italian fragrance experts.

Half- and half- would be your first clue.

All this gelato talk made me think of the girlish icecreams and candies pastel print they've become famous for during the 80's. So my guess is Naj Oleari... Notes of rose and sandalwood are correct too... But I'm a bit blind as this time lines in the riddle are as closed as gates and the difficult (for me... hehe) english words are as obscure as slits inside which I cannot yet see clearly...

Basenotes Institution

Never tested Naj Oleari, anybody got a tiny sample, please?

Half- and Half- should be of help, the designer himself and a bottle for this fragrance. Also, attributes I used for describing the notes (frothy, featherweight, vivacious, etc.) are often used for the description of his gowns. And now after retesting LA Belle, I can attest to this one's being a lot heavier in wear yet having similar feel to it.

Fendi Asja?

Dear Twolf, thank you for thinking these fun riddles out for us!
    If someone speaks of ballgowns and Italian designers, I immediately think of Valentino. His gowns are frothy indeed and what can be more vivacious than a Valentino-red gown? Half- and half-? mmm...Valentino is known by his name only, so that would be HALF his name (Garavani being his family name). The bottle for his last perfume, "V", has a wonderful atypical shape but hasn't a base, more like a HALF bottle. Now that I think of it, its shape can also be reminiscent of a gelato cone
    Some of V's notes seem to match: rose petals, sandalwood, amber-like notes (half-ambery?)....?

Basenotes Institution

Personal request:

Dear players, please let Lady_in_Black win this! "It's not so mainstream as his other creations" including V and V Absolute, discontinued, half-forgotten and not reviewed any more. While Mr.Edwards thinks that PdN Juste un Reve would be the closest match, other reviewers compare it to Spellbound, Red Door and Chloe Narcisse. Please, Lady_in_Black, sort out this feud.

If it is Valentino indeed, I'm totally dumb! V isn't even a quarter powdery.
    If it is discontinued, it should be Vendetta that you had in mind, Twolf? And that's half a bottle too!

Basenotes Institution

She won! Congratulations, Lady_in_Black! And thanks to everybody for letting it happen. V for Vendetta, or like in The Italian Job episode of the Simpsons, "Vendetta is an Italian vending machine".

Released in 1991, Vendetta with the notes of
    Top: Aldehydes, peach, plum, orange blossom, green notes, tagetes, bergamot (and aldehydes in this case do not make it smell metallic, but rather fruity and cool, just like gelato);
    Heart: rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine, carnation, orris, tuberose, orchid, honey, heliotrope;
    Base: vanilla, benzoin, tonka, amber, cedar, sandal, patchouli, musk, vetiver;
    is a fruity floral powdery scent with sweet ambery drydown. Different amber than in Bal a Versaiiles or Ambre Sultan, and I am not familiar with Juste un Reve.

Your interest is appreciated and please stay connected for more.

Ohh I so enjoy your 'teasers' Twolf... especially this last one... Congratulations to Lady_in_Black! Awesome... Sometimes I participate, but even when I don't I so enjoy reading and guessing along
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #52.

Thank you for your kindest words, Goddess_Dreams, and please post.

Most of the teasers are impressions of sorts, where I am not afraid of making a silly grammatical mistake, like using the wrong article, word form or incorrect spelling. Sometimes I surprise myself disagreeing with people who publish books about fragrances, so different are our perceptions. I would like to believe that I am learning too: some research, a little thought and a few hints, you got the idea... The first non-rhyming teaser was a perfect example of how a good plan went south (Isabella Rossellini Manifesto) but with Basenoters' support and encouragement I just hung on. Besides, I do not consider them poetry, they are "them riddles", sketches and mischief in one, I suppose. I remember one Basenoter called them melon-scratchers once, and I agree that's what they are.

Here is Melon-scratcher # 52.

Ready, steady, everyone,
    Go! No, better run.
    Quick, to try this joyful sparkling fizzy fun.

Cherry blossom, bashful pear,
    Coy blackcurrant, and I swear,
    Iris giggles and peonies walk on air.

Non-conventional fruit drink,
    Ask Apollo's mom, wink wink,
    And I think you will be also tickled pink!

This may be way off...but Beauticontrol Ambrosia?

Hehe, thanks Twolf!!

Ok I'm posting my guess purely based on notes... and of course because Leto, Apollo's mother was very much envied by Hera... so here's my try: is it Envious?
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Basenotes Institution

No and no. Sorry. "Tickle pink" should be of help. Leta has nothing to do with this, but as we all know, moms know best...

Givenchy Hot couture? After all good ol' moms are able to sew...

Yay! Thanks to everybody but again a special thank you to Twolf for such perfume detective fun! You are a witty poet IMO. Now I'm going to concentrate on the new one...

Cabotine Rose comes to mind. The notes sound right, it is pink, and Cabotine is the "daughter" of Cabochard, according to Parfums Gres... I'm stumped.

YSL Paris Roses des Vergers?

Basenotes Institution

Not yet. It is French, not in the Directory and relatively new (21st century). The color of the juice is yellow.

Basenotes Institution

Here we go, another clue. Leto/Leta knew all about humor and good cheer, I suppose. It was another woman in Apollo's life though, not his mother, who brought most fun, joy and mischief.

Not widely available, now it is impossible to get in the USA, as the site do not ship anymore.

"Tickle pink" is about troll-like hair on the stopper. Guess what color?

Michael Klein Comédie(CCB Paris)? I used to have that one! Cherry and iris and all that. It's the first thing I thought of when I read your original post but I confused myself.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Tovah; 8th August 2006 at 06:05 AM.

Basenotes Institution

They say go with your first gut instinct, it is almost always right when it comes to perfumes. Well, and when it comes to them Melon-scratchers, too, I suppose. Yes, it is Comedie (2001). It is from the Club of the Creators of the Beauty -- what a name! -- who do not ship to the USA any more (remember Annam?) and with Dorothee Piot as a nose. Since then she has changed companies and now is employed at Symrise. Released under Michel Klein's label, the same guy who worked with Guy Laroche on making ready-to-wear collections and presented a few controversial numbers for the Fall/Winter 2006, it is a very sheer-cheer fruity floral, "joyful, sparkling fizzy fun" bottled. Nothing deep about Comedie, but among the equals, it is the best! Can pass for niche, or perhaps, it is! As well as its cherry blossom and peony could easily pass for a Japanese scent, but it is more intense and longer lasting. The iris note does not make it powdery, and in imagery, these are pink irises too.

Thalia, the muse of comedy, was one of the clues. And, Apollo's mom reference was supposed to get everybody sidetracked. And of course, "tickled pink" was meant... literally!

Another one bites the dust. Great job, Tovah, and please stay ready for more fragrant fun! Thank you.

Congratulations, Tovah! Great association, I was completely confused with so many fruity-florals out there...and of course I was among those completely sidetracked by Apollo's mother reference
    FUN!!!!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #53.

This next one is going to be easy.

Riddle # 53.

Nothing distant or remote,
    Mossy floral aldehyde,
    Peach, green citrus, bitter note
    And the cleanest touch of "Tide".

No need to cry with pain,
    Whine with anguish or despair,
    And to gather one last grain
    Please refer to mc square.

I'll try: Estée.

Basenotes Institution

No, not yet. But seems like the last letter "e"=mc square is found.

Going with the same house as Lady in Black, I will pick White Linen.

Basenotes Institution

Different house altogether, but bearing a female's name.

Basenotes Institution

More clues: The scent is from the 70-s, although this lady started releasing fragrances long before that, one of them has been re-released this year.

The riddle itself is an adding exercise, like "mandarina" + "duck" = "Mandarina Duck", or "I" + "O"="IO", with the last letter being "e" in this case. "_____" + "_______" + "e" = ??? Am I totally confusing everyone?

Farouche by Nina Ricci?

My thoughts: Remote = "Far" + pain = "ouch" + e
    "Nina" is also relauched this year.
    Last edited by musse; 9th August 2006 at 09:19 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Yes, it is Farouche by Nina Ricci, (pronounced [far'u:sh] and meaning "untamed" as translated from French). You got it, Musse, I knew one of us would! It is not that difficult as it first appears.

Wink Re: Teaser #53.

Yay!!! Please wait with posting your next teaser until I have logged out -shouldn`t be more than two min, max! (I need to go to bed and get some sleep.......)

Basenotes Institution

My mama used to wear Farouche, she also wore bright light blue eye shadow at that time. I remember it came in a red box with a picture of the group of people, mingling, speaking, singing. It also came in a frosted white little bottle with the wings -- I did not know then it was Marc Lalique "open heart" design (Pochet). First released in 1974 it is classified as Floral Aldehyde or Green Floral, but in fact, it is very close to the class of chypres in its general tone: it is collected and soft-spoken, but not distant or icy, it is reclusive yet has inner power. I do not know who its the nose is, all I found was "Roure", and it comes with the notes of:
    Top: Bergamot, mandarin, galbanum, aldehydes, peach;
    Heart: rose, jasmine, honeysuckle, clary sage, cardamom, genista (which, in real life, is broom), , iris, carnation, geranium, lily of the valley, lily;
    Base: oakmoss, sandalwood, amber, vetiver, musk.

I read about its resemblance to L'Air du Temps, Caleche and even Amouage Dia (and I have never tried this last one), but to me it smells close to Amazone, only drier and cleaner, with triumphant moss and honeyed flowers, and it also smells of my mama. I was lucky enough to try it recently on my skin and I will be looking for a big bottle to buy.

Thanks to everybody for sharing my journey down the memory lane.
    Last edited by Twolf; 11th August 2006 at 04:04 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #54.

Teaser #54.

If it delight thee not, thy heart must err.
    A landless stranger, like a star, enamoureth,
    And I belong to it, my morns are just a blur,
    Its lilies and its jasmine pure guileless breath.

Its callow lemon, melon, peach (sweet soul!)
    Evolving on the skin into the finest silk
    Of cedar, amber and white musk, extol
    The virtues of Amico del cuore, I love them of this ilk!

Default Re: Teaser #54

Il Bacio?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #54

'Twas quick! I liked Borghese Il Basio and still regret not buying it a couple of months ago at Marshall's, "I love them of this ilk", darn it! But sorry, no, no passion fruit or plum in this one. And it is not in the Directory, either (as if it helps). One thing you got: it's Italian! (whispering)