Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Teaser #59

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #49.

Sorry, not familiar with Pucci. OK, tzar, tzarina...

Alessandro dell Acqua?

Gucci Envy Me is the only thing that comes to mind. I'm completely stumped!

Isabella Rossellini?

My guess is Basile Femme. I had a bottle ages ago and I still remember its black collar and "shoulders"...and Gianfranco Basile was famous for his silk ties and scarves. However, I cannot find any relation to the tzarina, as hard as I try!

Edited to add that since I couldn't remember the notes at all, a google search ended up with: Lavender, Jasmine, Rose, Carnation, Lily of the valley, Cedar, Tonka, Musk, Sandal!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 29th July 2006 at 08:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sniffing around
    I'll stop wearing black when they make something darker

Oleg Cassini Black Tie?

I think Lady in Black has got it!
    Basile, I think is a hint to the basilicas in Russia? (hence, "tzar, tzarina")
    Last edited by musse; 30th July 2006 at 03:52 PM.

musse - I agree! Here's a link to a picture of Basile Pour Femme on a discount site: http://www.imaginationperfumery.com/...fume-for-women

It's got a tan cap and all. I can't wait to find out what the "tsarina" hint means. Before this, I'd never even heard of Basile, but I may just try this stuff for that price!

Whew! That was a tough one, Twolf. (It wouldn't be fun if it was easy). Lady_in_Black, because of you, I can now relax this weekend and stop researching elusive Italian fragrances designers.

Talking Re: Teaser #49.

Great idea, musse! Let me elaborate a bit further. St. Basil is the most famous Russian cathedral, is located right on the Red Square in Moscow and was erected by order of tzar Ivan the Terrible. I also read that when St. Basil died, the whole city was pervaded by...perfume!
    Last edited by Lady_in_Black; 30th July 2006 at 04:13 PM.

Impressive detective job, gals! (still looking for that thumbs-up icon)

And wolfie, where are you?
    Ok ok, I know three days isn´t long, hope everything is well and that you are not working too hard
    Last edited by vinterdroppe; 30th July 2006 at 01:13 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Sorry, guys, life happens, as they say on Basenotes. I could not reach Internet for the whole lot of three days, and boy was I missing everybody.

You got it right, Basile per Femme it is. Congratulations to Lady_in_Black for guessing it correctly and to everybody for your interest and support. The name "Basil" (or, its variations Basile and Vasilius) as translated from Greek means "king", "royal", or "tsar"/"tzar". They did not come up with a name for their fragrance, and they do not show its fruity top with delicious juicy nectarine and plum. Their scarves and ties are very very nice, though, and relatively affordable. Not sure about the fragrance at ImaginationPerfumery with the ivory/light tan top, but the one at Nell Butler's is around $75.

Please stay tuned for more.

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #50.

Can't believe we got 50 of them. OK, here is #50. Word of caution: not Jacomo Paradox or CK Contradiction, but this is what I feel about this next fragrance.

Riddle #50.

I wear it twice a year, max,
    It never fails to stun.
    Green oriental, tempting wax,
    Cold burn or midnight sun.

Forgotten memories, tough love,
    Mimosa's harmless sin,
    Pachouli, dusty fruit, suede glove,
    Wet jungle, tonka gin.

Sincere lies, quiet riot, finesse,
    And Lucas Cranach's glee.
    I wear it twice a year, yes,
    And half of them it wears me!

Good luck and please stay in good spirits!

Farnesiana? (Caron)

Basenotes Institution

Nope. This one is greener and the flowers in it are not limited to mimosa only.

After thinking at Cranach's Adam unt Eve, I was tempted to say Desperate Housewives's Forbidden Fruit...
    But I know it's a wrong guess...

Basenotes Institution

The right reference, the wrong scent! Way to go, Magnifiscent!

Mmm... all these apples make me think to Sophie Marceau and her "La Boum" which was translated in italian as "Il tempo delle mele" referring to her jeunesse...

Eden, by Cacherel?

Changing approach--how about Prada: it has the notes, and Cranach has a number of pictures in the Prado. . . .(I'm obvously not very good at this, so I will give up now).
    Last edited by lilybp; 31st July 2006 at 01:42 PM.

Adam unt Eve...hmmm...

Tabu?

Basenotes Institution

Lilybp got it! Everybody is good at it, dear, and guessing it on the first try is good clean fun. And, if I get overjoyed writing them riddles, I can only imagine what fun it is to get them cracked. See, it is all there for everybody with clules and hints, and... (hush, do I start sound boring? )

It is Cacharel Eden (1994) with Jean Guichard being its nose. Totally disagree with Jan Moran about its being "ideal for lunches and garden parties", always want to add "to do WHAT at the garden party?" although totally agree about "why not yield to temptation" remark. Do please, if you can find it. Notes:
    Top: Bergamot, mandarin, peach;
    Heart: mimosa, orange blossom, lilac, tuberose, jasmine, rose, lily-0f-the-valley;
    Base: pachouli, cedar, sandal, tonka.

Eden is a very distictive fragrance indeed: fresh green oriental, which is a paradox by itself. Then come the notes and the images: it is suffocatingly fresh, with cold and stale fruity tuberose, deliciously tormenting mimosa and a soft thunder of tonka (I suppose I was overwhelmed to figure out what tonka smells like first in LouLou (1987) and then in Eden). It is eccentric, if you would, not your one-size-fits-all scent, and a relatively small amount of it will last and last. The bottle is jade green color and the box is a piece of art. There is also Eau d'Eden, but I just tested it without ever being a bottle owner, and, again, owning Eden does not really mean anything because it is a question who owns who.

Thanks for playing and feeling with me. Please stay connected and in good spirits!

Yay!! I love winning (even if I have substantially dimmed my glory by guessing again after I got it right)! My mother always said. "Go with your first instinct, dear (and I really hate it when she turns out to have been right!) Most of the credit really goes to Magnifiscent, though, for figuring out the painting.
    Last edited by lilybp; 1st August 2006 at 12:16 AM.

Basenotes Institution

It was, in fact, a different painting shown in the beginning of Desperate Housewives and the one accompaning Wikipedia article about the Garden of Eden. But Desperate Housewives was a right guess, I agree. (Could have been All About Eve/Adam, or Serpentine but the notes and the general feel would not fit the description in the riddle either).

I was digging deeper and another sourse shows that there are also notes of water lily, lotus leaves, peach, pine apple, melon and acacia in Cacharel Eden. The major giveaway was "wax", I think. So many noses....

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Teaser #51.

Hot hot hot today. Can't but think of gelato.

Riddle #51.

It's not so mainstream as his other creations,
    Yet letting my heart skip a beat.
    Half-sweet and half-ambery anticipations
    Half-end in half-powdery deceit.
    Its cones of gelato, captivatingly supple,
    Resilient suave aldehydes,
    They all have a ball with vivacious couple
    Of rose and honey. Besides,
    Its frothy vanilla and featherweight sandal,
    Oh! benzoin's playful chiffon!
    I'm brimming with pride, it's so easy to handle,
    With my next ball-gown, it's right on!

Not like my next ball is going to take place any time soon. Good luck and please stay cool and in good spirits in this heat!

Eau Belle d'Azzaro?

Basenotes Institution

Very good start, Tovah! I remember I have Eau Belle decant hiding somewhere, need to dig it out and retest! But, sorry, not this one. With a few Italian super fragrant detectives among us, I just have to make these Italian riddles super difficult! At the end (and I guess we will stop at, hmm, may be one hundred, if nobody gets too exhausted or bored before?) we all will be Italian fragrance experts.

Half- and half- would be your first clue.

All this gelato talk made me think of the girlish icecreams and candies pastel print they've become famous for during the 80's. So my guess is Naj Oleari... Notes of rose and sandalwood are correct too... But I'm a bit blind as this time lines in the riddle are as closed as gates and the difficult (for me... hehe) english words are as obscure as slits inside which I cannot yet see clearly...

Basenotes Institution

Never tested Naj Oleari, anybody got a tiny sample, please?

Half- and Half- should be of help, the designer himself and a bottle for this fragrance. Also, attributes I used for describing the notes (frothy, featherweight, vivacious, etc.) are often used for the description of his gowns. And now after retesting LA Belle, I can attest to this one's being a lot heavier in wear yet having similar feel to it.

Fendi Asja?

Dear Twolf, thank you for thinking these fun riddles out for us!
    If someone speaks of ballgowns and Italian designers, I immediately think of Valentino. His gowns are frothy indeed and what can be more vivacious than a Valentino-red gown? Half- and half-? mmm...Valentino is known by his name only, so that would be HALF his name (Garavani being his family name). The bottle for his last perfume, "V", has a wonderful atypical shape but hasn't a base, more like a HALF bottle. Now that I think of it, its shape can also be reminiscent of a gelato cone
    Some of V's notes seem to match: rose petals, sandalwood, amber-like notes (half-ambery?)....?