Code of Conduct

Default Parfum vs Cologne vs Toilette

I am getting ready to make a large fragrance purchase (about 4 to 5 fragrances we know we like) for myself and my GF. I'm likely doing so through discount site like fragrancenet or perfumespot.

I have three questions. The primary question is: If I find an Eau de Parfum for 1.7 oz and a Eau de Toilette at 3.4 ounces for the same price, is the concentration of the parfum worth the difference in size? Is the difference in quality between Parfum, Cologne and Toilettes that noticable?

The cologne I'm specifically looking at is Hanea Mori (the link below for the curious)
    http://www.usaperfumes.com/gnr.cfm?T...anae%20Mori%20

The second question is regarding these discount sites. Has anyone had experience with them? What's the deal with them, how do they get everything so cheap?

Third, I found testers on one of these sites for significanlty less, but I can't find any explanations as to why the testers were so much cheaper if they are the same product. What gives.

Thanks for your help!

Default Re: Parfum vs Cologne vs Toilette

Most of this information is on the online retailer's website, but here goes:

Don't choose your fragrance based on EdP smaller size and EdT larger size. The difference in EdP and EdT lies in the oils used, not the size of the fragrance. The EdP usually has a higher concentration of oils and is generally more expensive. Since the concentrations of all the ingredients are different, the fragrance itself would be a different composition than an EdT. Test both the EdP and EdT and pick the one you like more. In your case, you know the one you tested and like, so stick with that one, regardless of the smaller/bigger size in Edp/Edt.

Some discount sites are pretty reputable in this community. I am not sure about the ones you are referring to, but I'm pretty sure fragrancenet has some customers on this board. Most fragrances are A LOT cheaper online simply because the retailer buys in bulk, and sells for much less than over priced department stores.

Testers are those bottles you use to test the fragrance in the department stores. They are significantly less because they don't come in a fancey box/cellophane packaging, etc. Sometimes, they will come without a cap. However, the juice inside is exactly the same as the retail sold fragrance, just much, much cheaper. If you don't care about the appearance of the bottle and would much rather have more money in your pockets, check out the testers.

Hope this helps, and welcome to Basenotes! You'll like it here.

Thanks, this helps alot.

Basenotes Member

The difference between EDP and EDT is just in the fragance oil concentration right? I dont understand then why people ad water to the formula formula. Does the EDT really needs a % of water in it?
    Last edited by Yani; 17th October 2014 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yani View Post
    The difference between EDP and EDT is just in the fragance oil concentration right? I dont understand then why people ad water to the formula formula. Does the EDT really needs a % of water in it?
    EDP's will be more concentrated and rich. Some EDP's can smell quite a bit different from the original EDT though -- Eau Sauvage for example.

Basenotes Member

Thanks! When making EdT does the formula really needs water?

All fragrances have a mixture of water and alcohol, but ratios vary

Quote Originally Posted by bloodgroove View Post
    The primary question is: If I find an Eau de Parfum for 1.7 oz and a Eau de Toilette at 3.4 ounces for the same price, is the concentration of the parfum worth the difference in size? Is the difference in quality between Parfum, Cologne and Toilettes that noticable?

Some people like the stronger concentration because often but not always, longevity will be better. As already noted, sometimes there is a noticeable difference in the smell.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Yani View Post
    There can be several results from the EDP and EDT (or any of the other steps in concentration) versions of a fragrance - it might be problematic to assume that the difference is merely in the "strength" of the juice. For instance, I have often found that an EDT version is sharper than the EDP while the EDP is, of course, more mellow. I don't assume that the EDP will last longer than the EDT - often they have about the same longevity. There can be differences in projection and the differences can go either way in favoring one or the other. The differences in proportion can also strongly affect the variances in the relationships of the various ingredients of the fragrance - occasionally to the point where they don't even seem to be the same fragrance. In short, it could be a mistake to assume that the EDP is simply a "stronger" version of the EDT. Each needs to be evaluated on its own merits.

Often times reviewers will point out some of the differences between the EDT and EDP