Code of Conduct

Thumbs up The Rise and Fall of the Aquatics...

As of lately, I've been noticing a pattern at the ol' fragrance counters... the era of the aquatic is coming to an end. And not a moment too soon... most of the major announced releases for the fall in the US are orientals.

Exhibit A: There was a big push around here for Nautica Voyage. However, few people bought it (even dring the introduction period). Now, the stores here are starting to cut back their stock of the product.

Exhibit B: As we all know, Giorgio Armani's Acqua di Gio is the #1-selling men's fragrance in the US (although Pimp Diddy's Unforgivable shoved it out for a few months). Now, it seems like the AdG sales killer has arrived... and Armani came out with it last year. Yup, Armani Code is starting to beat Acqua di Gio in sales here.

Exhibit C: This fall, I've noticed that there's virtually no aquatics in men's fall launches for the US market... all I'm seeing are orientals and aromatics. (I wouldn't classify the new Tommy 10 as an aquatic... I'd classify it as an aromatic.)

Any other cracks in the Acqua di Gio empire that you've seen?
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Default Re: The Rise and Fall of the Aquatics...

Hm, is this good or bad for us? By being an 'anti-mainstream' and (in general) user of orientals, would that make me the new AdG "guy"?

It may be that aquatics are slowly becoming less popular, but I wouldn't throw in the towel too soon. AdG is still damn near the top in sales, and it was released 10 YEARS AGO! Plus, Unforgiveable has had great sales and it is quasi-aquatic, fresh, and certainly not an oriental. Then you have Bulgari Aqua, which was released just last year and is amazingly good. I don't know what it's sales are (god I hope this doesn't get too popular because I'm really fond of it), but they probably are at least pretty good. And Mf, it makes complete sense that the fall releases are aromatics and orientals, because in the fall it gets colder and then after that comes winter which is even colder than fall. The vast majority of aquatics get released in the spring and summer time. If Armani Code does in fact surpass AdG in sales, it could foreshadow a change, but I think that aquatics are far from done and that even if/when they do get less popular there will always be a place for them in the fragrance market.

Anyone know when aquatics first appeared? I remember reading somewhere about an advance in chemistry which allowed for their creation, cant remember where or what it said though.
    Thanks,
    Duck.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Anyone know when aquatics first appeared? I remember reading somewhere about an advance in chemistry which allowed for their creation, cant remember where or what it said though.
    Thanks,
    Duck.
    The first aquatics were Calvin Klein's Escape for Women in 1991, followed by L'eau d'Issey for women a year later.

Aquatics didn't splash (pun intended) onto the men's market until 1993, when Calvin Klein came out with Escape for Men. A year later, L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme emerged. (See a pattern?)

However, it wasn't until fall 1996 when Giorgio Armani's Acqua di Gio Pour Homme appeared on shelves for the first time. Backed by a major ad campaign and massive sampling, it quickly shot up to grab the #1 men's fragrance spot in US sales from Calvin Klein's Eternity at the end of 1997. It's held onto that position ever since, and in 2004, Acqua di Gio became the first men's fragrance in history to generate $100 million a year in US sales.

As they say, the rest is history.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

As The Giraffe said before, of course they release orientals in fall and winter. And in the spring there will be more aqua releases again. No ones going to buy aqua products near the end of summer going into fall. It's pointless. So yes, aquatics will be around for a while, which is fine by me. Blvgari Aqva is amazing, and Mare is an aqua beach scent im looking forward to trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    As The Giraffe said before, of course they release orientals in fall and winter. And in the spring there will be more aqua releases again.
    But wasn't there a ton of aquatics launched last fall and the fall before then? For starters, there was Kenneth Cole Signature, Incanto Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqva, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, and such. All of those were launched in the fall of 2004 or 2005.
    Top 5 for Fall:
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    The first aquatics were Calvin Klein's Escape for Women in 1991, followed by L'eau d'Issey for women a year later.

Aquatics didn't splash (pun intended) onto the men's market until 1993, when Calvin Klein came out with Escape for Men. A year later, L'eau d'Issey Pour Homme emerged. (See a pattern?)

However, it wasn't until fall 1996 when Giorgio Armani's Acqua di Gio Pour Homme appeared on shelves for the first time. Backed by a major ad campaign and massive sampling, it quickly shot up to grab the #1 men's fragrance spot in US sales from Calvin Klein's Eternity at the end of 1997. It's held onto that position ever since, and in 2004, Acqua di Gio became the first men's fragrance in history to generate $100 million a year in US sales.

THANKYOU!!!
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks for sharing that piece of trivia. I've never tried Aqua di Gio. My favorite acquatics on the 'consumer' market right now is BVLGARI Acua pour homme. Although, I 've owned and enjoy Captain Molyneux by Molyneux ( an aquatic scent ) and this was made way before Acqu Gio made it in the U.S. market.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Wasn't Kenzo with his Kenzo pour homme (1991) that started the aquatic craze?

Aubrgene- don't you have some desire to smell the notorious AdG?

The age of aquarius was an interesting time.
    What does water smell like? or is it a simile metaphoric nuance thing?

Never was an aquatic scents enthusiast. When water has a smell, that usually isnt a good thing.

is new west an aquatic? if so it predates them, it was created 1988

To quote Michael Edwards:
    The first aquatic scent to hit the market was New West for men back in 1987/88. It was the first scent harness the synthetic note of Clone created from watermelon that takes on the scent of ozone after thundershower.

Next was Escape for women but it was not until the huge US success of L'Eau D'Issey for women that made Aquatic/Marine a category on the fragrance charts.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus
    To quote Michael Edwards:
    The first aquatic scent to hit the market was New West for men back in 1987/88. It was the first scent harness the synthetic note of Clone created from watermelon that takes on the scent of ozone after thundershower.

Next was Escape for women but it was not until the huge US success of L'Eau D'Issey for women that made Aquatic/Marine a category on the fragrance charts.
    Oops... I totally forgot about New West coming before Escape! Thanks!
    Top 5 for Fall:
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)

Um...
    I think that the first aquatic was likely Cool Water by Davidoff (1988), which became insanely popular at nightclubs and Jr. Highschool proms.

-Slim

But wasn't there a ton of aquatics launched last fall and the fall before then? For starters, there was Kenneth Cole Signature, Incanto Pour Homme, Bvlgari Aqva, Chanel Allure Homme Sport, and such. All of those were launched in the fall of 2004 or 2005.

Yes, but maybe the fragrance industry is learning that people buy orientals more in the colder seasons that they buy aqua fragrances. Because who in their right mind would wear an aqua fragrance in winter? Maybe they did release them in fall, but that doesnt mean they sold as much as they did in spirng and summer.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Aubrgene- don't you have some desire to smell the notorious AdG?
    Hmm.. I just keep walking past by it whenever I see it. I'll 'test' it next time:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    Yes, but maybe the fragrance industry is learning that people buy orientals more in the colder seasons that they buy aqua fragrances. Because who in their right mind would wear an aqua fragrance in winter? Maybe they did release them in fall, but that doesnt mean they sold as much as they did in spirng and summer.
    Average perfume consumers probably pick out one bottle and stick with it regardless of season, weather, variety, etc. I'm sure that most men would just stick with the fragrance that works for them, and are afrad to be too bold and get more than one fragrance.

I like all kinds of fragrances, including aquatics. I don't see a fall in aquatics. I just see them getting better.

Try Mare by Creative Universe if you want to talk about aquatics. IMO, the best one there is.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisW
    Average perfume consumers probably pick out one bottle and stick with it regardless of season, weather, variety, etc. I'm sure that most men would just stick with the fragrance that works for them, and are afrad to be too bold and get more than one fragrance.

Touche

But do you class green irish tweed as an aquatic? maybe if it had been called say scottish lake water? because cool water is a git clone, we must agree? and git came out in ?

anyway, i love my aqua motu! daddy smells like a penguin!

GIT and Cool Water are fresh but in a green way, thus to me they are not aquatics. There is really nothing aquatic about them. Btw, while their openings are similar, GIT and Cool Water are quite different. It's not just that GIT is "more sophisticated" or some crap like that, it just becomes a much different scent in the dry-down. Cool Water maintains the fresh green feel whereas GIT gets warmer and deeper as it dries down.

We are drowning in aquatics!

(sorry i couldn't resist)

KO

Luca30: Wasn't Kenzo with his Kenzo pour homme (1991) that started the aquatic craze?

How about GIT and Cool Water? Did they come in later?

Quote Originally Posted by Renaissance_Man
    Luca30: Wasn't Kenzo with his Kenzo pour homme (1991) that started the aquatic craze?

How about GIT and Cool Water? Did they come in later?
    I haven't tried GIT, but I had a 40 ml bottle of Cool Water in highschool and from what I remember this is not a marine scent, an aquatic. To me is just a fresh-woody scent, slightly aromatic; when I smell it I don't think at the sea, the waves etc.

From the bottle, the name, the commercial you would think that this is an aquatic, but to me is just a generic fresh smell, not an aquatic one.

Quote Originally Posted by RTbar
    is new west an aquatic? if so it predates them, it was created 1988
    I don't think of New West as an aquatic. It's got a very fleeting salty topnote, after that's gone - in about 2 minutes - it's all rustic...dusty, dry herbs, sage. Lots of sage. When I think aquatic, I think fruity, sweet, light, with maybe a marine note.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    I don't think of New West as an aquatic. It's got a very fleeting salty topnote, after that's gone - in about 2 minutes - it's all rustic...dusty, dry herbs, sage. Lots of sage. When I think aquatic, I think fruity, sweet, light, with maybe a marine note.
    i think i agree with you. it always struck me as more herbal, almost like a beefed up issey blue