Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Never gotten a compliment..

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    A little off topic but about that bass... what's that thing on its underside? Is that its weiner?

I'm almost positive that it's a tracking tag placed by the DNR. The fish might have come from a hatchery (i don't know if they do that down there or not). It's pretty common to catch tagged fish around here; i guess you're supposed to call the DNR and tell them that you ate the fish if you keep it.

-ben

I apologize for the thread-jack with the Bass pic but I do apply one of my fragrances before going Bassin' as I want to smell good even in the out-of-the-way places I frequent. Btw, I often apply a scent to an artificial bait(only type I use) too . It is usually a combination of amino acids scented with parts of garlic and/or crawdad. It may be in a gel/grease or atomized spray formulation.

IG: No, that's not its 'organ' . It's a State-applied tag. That particular lake is State-managed and they tagged and measured many of the L/M Bass when they were first stocked. Each tag has a unique number, identifying that particular fish. As they are caught and if the fisherperson fills out the form, they can track the weight and length gain of the Bass and know if their fertilization and management are working. I measure mine and take a pic of the bigger ones before I return it to its home.

Vivien: You are too kind .

Pluran: Lake Fork is known as a source for lunker Bass. My first baitcaster was an Ambassadeur but I use Japan-Market Daiwa and Shimano reels now matched with either a Kistler Helium rod(made in Magnolia, Texas btw) or an exquisite Megabass rod from Japan. The MB rods are litereally works of art. Here is one:

http://fotoalbum2.aruba.it/admin/wiz...diIMGP3749.JPG

Dan
    "We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."

Daily Wardrobe

I get the occasional compliment when I wear old school Polo... but it's mostly because my body chem must change the scent in some way because when I tell the people who asked what it is they almost always say, "REALLY?!?! I never really liked that before". Polo is the only scent my wife really likes on me. That being said, the women at my daughter's daycare have commented positively on Azzaro Visit several times. My latest acquisition is YSL's M7 (thanks to BASENOTES!!!!). HOLY FRIGGIN MOLEY! The women are crawling out of the woodwork. I have had no less than 4 complete strangers walk up to me and ask me what I am wearing. It's insane. My wife just rolls her eyes as she doesn't think it's anything special... but she doesn't care for colognes and doesn't wear perfume at all except on ultra special occasions (put on the Angel that I bought her YUM!).

Anyway, there ARE scents out there. You just need to find the magic combo that reacts well with your body chemistry and BINGO... you'll start getting compliments.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by SliderJeff
    ... My latest acquisition is YSL's M7 (thanks to BASENOTES!!!!). HOLY FRIGGIN MOLEY! The women are crawling out of the woodwork. I have had no less than 4 complete strangers walk up to me and ask me what I am wearing. It's insane. My wife just rolls her eyes as she doesn't think it's anything special... but she doesn't care for colognes and doesn't wear perfume at all except on ultra special occasions (put on the Angel that I bought her YUM!).

Anyway, there ARE scents out there. You just need to find the magic combo that reacts well with your body chemistry and BINGO... you'll start getting compliments.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    I don't get any compliments either. Perhaps l should buy some YSL "HOLY FRIGGIN MOLY" M7.

QuietEarth,

Do it. Not just for the compliments, but this is one scent that received great praise here on the boards that I DO actually agree with. I like what it smells like and clearly the opposite sex does as well. To be more specific, I had one lady come up to me in a furniture store, two different mom's from daycare, a teacher at daycare, one woman at my wife's family reunion who just couldn't stop sniffing me to the point where it was a little like those TAG/Axe commercials. Too bad she was 1.) Not attractive at all, 2.) The wife of my wife's cousin and 3.) I am happily married and could use my wife as a shield to get away from her. So word of caution, it's not always a GOOD thing to smell yummy. I'm not tackled by hottie hot hot hotties (my new favorite phrase taken from the Disney cartoon "The Emperor's New School"... did I mention I had a 3 year old daughter?). So be careful what you wish for.

Regs,
    Jeff

PS - One thing I will say, I am white guy, 34 years old. Not making any type of racial issue here, but I will say that more African-American women have made comments out loud to me than other caucasian women. Not sure if that's a culture thing and the caucasians are more uptight about asking or not. I just know that a cashier at Wendy's (African American) and a cashier at Home Depot (also African American) both were quite vocal about how good I smelled when I was wearing Thierry Mugler's Cologne. Not sure what that means, but I wanted to throw that out there.

This is an excellent thread joellark...

I don't know about being self-conscious about how I may be perceived by other in dishing out compliments but I almost make it my 'duty' to give out compliments to others... this is both on the way they look and the way they smell (and yes to complete strangers too).... if someone smells nice I make sure I pay them a compliment That smile on the other persons face is ohh so worth it....

Just this morning I was getting a coffee and a lady beside me smelled wonderful so I leaned over and said to her: "You smell wonderful!" and you should just see that big smile... Of course right away she told me what it was, where she got it and how much she paid for it too LOL... so you make friends too

As for myself, I do get compliments on my fragrances often: daily from my husband, (and believe me, he will tell me too when I wear something he does not like! LOL), my sister most of the time... my mom always comments whenever we hug (we hug a lot in our family)... some friends... and strangers too (ahmmm but I don't tend to hug strangers)...
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 13th July 2006 at 02:49 PM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by QuietEarth
    I don't get any compliments either. Perhaps l should buy some YSL "HOLY FRIGGIN MOLY" M7.
    Yes! M7 would do it My favorite for sure!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

lol Indie -- it's a hamn string growler!

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    I'm thinking about getting M7 Fresh, actually. Which is the general preference, M7 or M7 Fresh?

M7 Fresh is super weird. I couldn't imagine getting a compliment wearing it. For that matter, M7 is a bit odd too, I'm surprised people like it so much. Not just because it's weird, I like weird, it just doesn't seem that appealing to me. Joel, I don't think there is a good answer to your question about which one is better. Even though I don't really dig either, I think that they're both worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by SliderJeff
    QuietEarth,

PS - One thing I will say, I am white guy, 34 years old. Not making any type of racial issue here, but I will say that more African-American women have made comments out loud to me than other caucasian women. Not sure if that's a culture thing and the caucasians are more uptight about asking or not. I just know that a cashier at Wendy's (African American) and a cashier at Home Depot (also African American) both were quite vocal about how good I smelled when I was wearing Thierry Mugler's Cologne. Not sure what that means, but I wanted to throw that out there.
    Maybe black ladies that work at fast food restaurants love Mugler cologne! I am cracking up reading your anecdote bc a black lady working at Jack in the Box once enthusiastically complimented my boyfriend on his Mugler cologne. Too funny of a coincidence!

Could be, I just honestly don't know. But even my wife has commented that I get more vocal comments from them than I do from "white chicks". To be honest, I could care less who likes it... just knowing that SOMEBODY out there does make me feel good. It's a shame that the person I want to like the umpteen million things I wear to smell good the MOST doesn't really like any of them except Polo. I guess it could be worse.. she could only like the smell of Aqua Velva or something.

Heck, I've even had a couple guys at the office ask me about a particular scent I wore because, "my wife like me to wear cologne but I don't like what they smell like at the store". A couple of guys fell into the Acqua di Gio pool based on me wearing that after the gym for awhile. Same with Armani Mania and Tuscany Forte.

Have a good evening,
    Jeff

Yes! Go for the M7! I haven't bought a bottle because I haven't found it at a decent price yet.

Joellark, you smell very nice today! there you go!

lol

I really think it depends on the environment. When i worked as a custody officer at heathrow airport, if i had said to another man you smell nice i probably would have got cloncked! I never got compliments. now i "look after" celebs at parties, i get loads of compliments from men and women. My most treasured was from Mariah carey for Boss elements.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by tiff
    Maybe black ladies that work at fast food restaurants love Mugler cologne! I am cracking up reading your anecdote bc a black lady working at Jack in the Box once enthusiastically complimented my boyfriend on his Mugler cologne. Too funny of a coincidence!
    Wow. usually I don't get many comments on what I wear (though I can tell if people like my SOTDs or not), but I have gotten two negative comments on Mugler cologne...both from black ladies! So maybe there's no middle ground on this scent matched up with this demographic. Actually one of those ladies was a former boss, and even though I applied the smallest amount, she got a really visceral reaction like she had just taken laxatives and was about to get sick. She didn't like it at all. I do think that looking back, black women seem to have been the most likely to comment on a scent I was wearing, good or bad. That same woman who hated Mugler Cologne, really loved Paul Smith Men (the original in the green square bottle).

Ugh.. I just got Basi Homme, and Armand Basi Homme today. They smell terrible, like Laguna. I feel so stupid again. Another set of highly rated colognes that smell like cow dung on me. Maybe I have a problem, or something.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!

/end whining.

Thanks for a good thread. It occurred to me that I don't care anymore if I receive a compliment or not. I don't watch for it. I've always been into fragrances but since I seriously got interested in them after discovering Basenotes (and expanded my wardrobe), more than ever, I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment and enjoy them in a different way even privately.
    In fact, sometimes, I don't want to get compliments if I know I'm in a conservative environment.
    However, to answer the original question, I receive very few compliments otherwise.
    RM

Joel, I haven't smelled either of the Basi scents so I can't give input on whether or not I think they are good or bad. I can, however, give input on your general approach. I think it's rather unrealistic to order scents blind that other people liked and expect to fall in love with them. A much safer approach is to go to stores and try things, and if stores don't have what you want, order samples. It isn't as quick as blindly ordering bottles, but you at least might end up with some scents that you like, which is afterall sort of the idea here. Just a thought. I'm sorry you don't like your new scents btw, but I don't think there's anything wrong with you.

p.s.- I noticed that the Basi scents are rated really highly at Perfumeemporium, and I'm wondering if those encouraged you to order the scents? A word of caution, don't pay an ounce of attention to the reviews on the website. The ones on Basenotes are a million times better, but even the ones here won't necessarily coincide with your opinions, so test things for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    I agree with Godess Dreams.Get that ladykiller M7 and Armani Mania.If I meet you in the street I`ll give you a compliment,I promise LOL
    Now,really, YSL M7 and Armani Mania are divine men frags
    Current top five:JPG Classique,Chanel Coco,Lolita Lempicka EDP,Armani Emporio SHE,Opium

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienleigh
    I agree with Godess Dreams.Get that ladykiller M7 and Armani Mania.If I meet you in the street I`ll give you a compliment,I promise LOL
    Now,really, YSL M7 and Armani Mania are divine men frags
    Ok guys, "HOLY FRIGGIN' MOLY" M7 and perhaps a little mania it is!

PS: Somedude, I have found a good price for M7:

www.shoppersdirect.com.au

$ (AU) 36.59 for 100ml. Not to shabby a deal, I reckon. (And I'm sure it says they ship internationally.)

QE

Everyone realizes that I'm like 20, right?

Is the original M7 for someone my age?