Code of Conduct

Default Never gotten a compliment..

I don't get it. I never get compliments when I'm wearing cologne. In fact, most people are repulsed, if they have any reaction at all.

Do you get compliments? From who, family? Not even my mom, sis, and etc notice or react to me when I'm wearing cologne.

Is there a shot in the dark chance you'd know why I'm not getting any compliments?

BTW, I just got two new colognes: Basi Homme, and Armand Basi Homme. What do you think of those?

Just trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong here.

Default Re: Never gotten a compliment..

Hmmmmm... that's really weird. My family doesn't really compliment me but my friends do and sometimes random people do. Here's a suggestion: start talking to a close female friend about your hobby. Start asking her which of your scents smell good, and soon she'll take notice and start complimenting the ones she likes. Sure, it's not spontaneous, but it's something.

It would help you if you listed the colognes that you wear most so that I can see if they are ones that are compliment getters. If you really care about compliments, I can share with you a few scents that seem to effortlessly earn me compliments. Also, you should know that people might like your scent even if they don't compliment you.

99% of complements I've gotten are from drunk girls. Not sure if thats good or bad.

I don't know what you wear so I can't judge you. Show your wardrobe.

I only get compliments from my girlfriend. No one really seems to care about what I am wearing other than her. I really wear it for myself though. I wear a conservative amount. A few sprays is enough for me.

Maybe you apply too much or just wear the annoying stuff that everyone wears. Who knows. Who cares too. If you like it then wear it for yourself. Don't expect people to like you for your scent but don't not wear something because one person gave you a bad look. No compliments are better than people telling you to go take a shower because you stink. They probably don't know how to tell a person that they smell amazing.

I don't get compliments so you are not alone...

PS I don't know what those 2 smell like...

I get more compliments from my simple straight forward scents such as Armani Mania(most complimented), Gai Mattiollo Uomo, Gigli Man 2004, Rive Gauche PH,Roma which is more complex but simple delicious dry down of amber and vanilla which the girls love. If you want, try Polo Blue,Bulgari Aqua,Polo Black,Boss Soul,I don't necessarily like them but they do get tons of compliments.

Last edited by Derawk; 26th November 2009 at 07:17 PM.

Blog Entries

I typically get compliments from the same people like my parents & a few certain friends. There's this one friend of mine that is always one of the first people I see when I go to my local bar. We always hug, & I have usually just showered & applied cologne. The FIRST TIME he complimented what I was wearing, was after I had just come home from a brief workout. I hadn't planned on going out, but he called me & asked if I'd like to shoot pool for awhile. Since I had just done some light weight training & a slow walk on the treadmill, I figured I hadn't sweat enough to warrant a shower. I applied a spritzing of CK one and headed out. My friend hugged me when I walked into the bar & he sniffed my neck & said I smelled really good & asked what I was wearing!!! It was really weird, lol. There had been several times when I had seen him & was wearing something that in my opinion smelled a lot better & he never gave me a compliment.

I think a lot of it has to do w/ your own skin chemistry and how different frags react w/ your chemistry. Maybe let your skin "settle" a little bit after a shower & THEN apply fragrance?
    Last edited by CologneJunkie; 12th July 2006 at 05:07 AM.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Thrax

You dont wear Kouros do you?

Joel, after looking through your collection, the only scent I can fully endore is Yang. I feel like a light to maybe medium application of Yang should definately get you some compliments. I don't know if it matters to you, but your collection lacks compliment ringers, and you might want a nice fresh scent (that doubles as a compliment ringer) to wear in the warm weather. Bulgari Aqua comes to mind first, along with Mugler Cologne and Chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Trioxin
    99% of complements I've gotten are from drunk girls. Not sure if thats good or bad.
    Trioxin, good point, but oh so right ! Think that the alcohol take away the brakes and they say the things that they think but never would say when tey're sober !

So, my opinion is that a lot of men and woman actually thinking : "that guy smells good " but will never saying it ...

Renz

I never get complements either......never. And that's OK, as
    I am not searching for them. I know I have some excellent
    fragrances, and I just wear what I like in moderate quantities
    (4 or 5 sprays) and enjoy it. Don't worry about compliments.
    Just wear stuff you love and think others might enjoy and be
    at peace with that.

Regards,
    trumpet_guy

I have never gotten any compliments either. I think it depends on what sort of people you hang out with. If they are close friends or family, they might compliment...if they are just work colleagues etc, they may not.

I always get compliments from my wife, and believe me, that's all that matters.

Occasionally I get them from female family members.

Very rarely a (female) work colleague will give me a compliment - the last being a couple of weeks ago after a mid-day work out, when I tried out Opium Eau d'Orient for the first time.

I think a lot of people are self-conscious about paying compliments because it may be interpreted in the wrong way.

Dante is right, some people are just self-conscious about giving compliments. More important than outright verbal compliments is body language. If you see people leaning in to get a good sniff of you and stuff like that, it is as good or better than a compliment. If you get negative body language and no compliments, than maybe the scents you own don't agree with your body chemistry very well. Whether or not that is a problem is completely up to you.

Smile Re: Never gotten a compliment..

Oh,that`s not fair! I always compliment a person who wears a nice scent,male or female...Yesterday I complimented one of my patients on his scent and asked him what he was wearing.Well,it was Nivea aftershave balm but I liked it.I have only two male patients who wear fragrance regularly and whenever they come to my office they make my day

I also try to compliment people that smell good. In order to get some you have to give some... With that said most compliments comes from my girlfriend of course, and the rest from friends who knows about my heavy addiction. The very last few comments I've recieved has been from co-workers, but that sure doesn't happen very often.

I can't relate. I receive compliments frequently from all kinds of people while wearing all kinds of fragrances.
    Last edited by pluran; 12th July 2006 at 10:18 AM.

Overcome By Fumes

I used to not get many compliments, now it seems like about one every 10 days. It may be because I have a few more sillage-scents. Since I wear what I like for me, the compliments are just icing on the cake. It would be very unusual for me to wear something I didnt really like just because it's a compliment-magnet. It's much more a factor of the people around you, than it is a measure of how you actually smell, if you ask me. Also, if you barely apply enough for your own nose to smell, then it is also possible that it is too little for anyone else to notice either, as well.

I tend to be an extravert, and body language does help with the compliment department. Your less apt to tell a stanger with dark body language that he/she smells great. On the other hand, a person smiling and generating positive body language may garner more compliments. Not saying that Joel is being negative - I liked his honest post. Food for thought.

It's unfortunate that my lifestlye doesn't allow me to wear fragrance as much as I would like to. I practise Bikram Yoga everyday and swim laps for an hour every other day. When I do wear fragrance, I usually get a compliment.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Interesting question. You mentioned that some people are repulsed... can you elaborate? It would be helpful to know exactly what they said, what type of person said it, and the setting.

The colognes you have look OK. Maybe you could use one more "lady-killer" in your repertoire, and depending on your personality, etc., I'm sure you can get loads of suggestions.

Markymark's idea is a very good one - I would agree that people who look highly approachable are more likely to have people speak to them spontaneously. I suppose wearing nice clothes would help this even further.

I don't get loads of compliments, but I do get some. And sometimes I'll get a smile that seems to be saying, "you smell nice".

This may or may not be true, but I wonder if most of the people who get tons of compliments are already fairly "studly", and the nice cologne gives interested individuals an easy conversation starter.

I get one every once in a while here at work. Several Ladies know of my passion(s) and will 'sample' a sniff of my SOTD.

Sometimes, I get a wink from one of the Bass I catch(and release):

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Neither have I. But somehow I don't really expect it from my colleagues (German academics :-)
    My wife compliments me on not wearing a fragrance. When I do - she coughs, hits me and says things like "go away." Life is hard sometimes ;-)
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'd be a little self conscious if someone complimented my sotd. I wear scents for myself, sometimes I'll wear something my gf really likes. Its actually a happy coincedence that I havent heard any comments one way or another in public, although sometimes people seem to hover around and bump into me more than usual.
    Last edited by Bad_Dawg; 12th July 2006 at 10:43 PM.

It sounds like you may be putting too much on.

I'd think it's better to never get a compliment than what happened to my mum:

She came home one day looking very gloomy, the reason, she was on the bus, some man was seated next to her, she, who never notices anything anyone does while on the street, notices he's gaging for his life, suddenly he gets up and opens the window in their row and slyly gives her a dissaproving look, she realises then...it's her perfume! Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfield...
    The thing is she loves that perfume, and told me people at work have told her she smelled too heady...and now that incident on the bus...
    I just hope she doesn't get discouraged and never gives strong perfumes another chance.
    Invention, my dear friends, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation and 2% butterscotch ripple.
    The perfume group at vox: http://thescented.groups.vox.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod
    I get one every once in a while here at work. Several Ladies know of my passion(s) and will 'sample' a sniff of my SOTD.

Dan
    That's a nice bass Lightninrod. I started fishing East Texas lakes when I was five years old - Lake Fork, Lake O'The Pines, Toledo Bend, etc. I used Lightning Rods and Ambassadeur 500c reels. Learned a lot of discipline working through some good backlashes. Caught a lot of bass too.

There aren't many things to compare to good bass fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess_Jime
    I'd think it's better to never get a compliment than what happened to my mum:

She came home one day looking very gloomy, the reason, she was on the bus, some man was seated next to her, she, who never notices anything anyone does while on the street, notices he's gaging for his life, suddenly he gets up and opens the window in their row and slyly gives her a dissaproving look, she realises then...it's her perfume! Sun Moon Stars by Lagerfield...
    The thing is she loves that perfume, and told me people at work have told her she smelled too heady...and now that incident on the bus...
    I just hope she doesn't get discouraged and never gives strong perfumes another chance.
    I just got a Sun Moon Stars sample and love it! I am even thinking of getting myself a bottle. But I think the problem is that you are in warm weather while it's winter here in Australia...

Oh,and I agree with Markymark about that `body language advice`.I.e. I would compliment Lightninrod on his fragrance even if he wore Eau de Turpentine LOL
    JK,Dan,I love your wardrobe
    Last edited by Vivienleigh; 13th July 2006 at 10:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightninrod

Dan

A little off topic but about that bass... what's that thing on its underside? Is that its weiner?

Last edited by Indie_Guy; 13th July 2006 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy
    A little off topic but about that bass... what's that thing on its underside? Is that its weiner?

I'm almost positive that it's a tracking tag placed by the DNR. The fish might have come from a hatchery (i don't know if they do that down there or not). It's pretty common to catch tagged fish around here; i guess you're supposed to call the DNR and tell them that you ate the fish if you keep it.

-ben

I apologize for the thread-jack with the Bass pic but I do apply one of my fragrances before going Bassin' as I want to smell good even in the out-of-the-way places I frequent. Btw, I often apply a scent to an artificial bait(only type I use) too . It is usually a combination of amino acids scented with parts of garlic and/or crawdad. It may be in a gel/grease or atomized spray formulation.

IG: No, that's not its 'organ' . It's a State-applied tag. That particular lake is State-managed and they tagged and measured many of the L/M Bass when they were first stocked. Each tag has a unique number, identifying that particular fish. As they are caught and if the fisherperson fills out the form, they can track the weight and length gain of the Bass and know if their fertilization and management are working. I measure mine and take a pic of the bigger ones before I return it to its home.

Vivien: You are too kind .

Pluran: Lake Fork is known as a source for lunker Bass. My first baitcaster was an Ambassadeur but I use Japan-Market Daiwa and Shimano reels now matched with either a Kistler Helium rod(made in Magnolia, Texas btw) or an exquisite Megabass rod from Japan. The MB rods are litereally works of art. Here is one:

http://fotoalbum2.aruba.it/admin/wiz...diIMGP3749.JPG

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

I get the occasional compliment when I wear old school Polo... but it's mostly because my body chem must change the scent in some way because when I tell the people who asked what it is they almost always say, "REALLY?!?! I never really liked that before". Polo is the only scent my wife really likes on me. That being said, the women at my daughter's daycare have commented positively on Azzaro Visit several times. My latest acquisition is YSL's M7 (thanks to BASENOTES!!!!). HOLY FRIGGIN MOLEY! The women are crawling out of the woodwork. I have had no less than 4 complete strangers walk up to me and ask me what I am wearing. It's insane. My wife just rolls her eyes as she doesn't think it's anything special... but she doesn't care for colognes and doesn't wear perfume at all except on ultra special occasions (put on the Angel that I bought her YUM!).

Anyway, there ARE scents out there. You just need to find the magic combo that reacts well with your body chemistry and BINGO... you'll start getting compliments.

Good luck,
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by SliderJeff
    ... My latest acquisition is YSL's M7 (thanks to BASENOTES!!!!). HOLY FRIGGIN MOLEY! The women are crawling out of the woodwork. I have had no less than 4 complete strangers walk up to me and ask me what I am wearing. It's insane. My wife just rolls her eyes as she doesn't think it's anything special... but she doesn't care for colognes and doesn't wear perfume at all except on ultra special occasions (put on the Angel that I bought her YUM!).

Anyway, there ARE scents out there. You just need to find the magic combo that reacts well with your body chemistry and BINGO... you'll start getting compliments.

Good luck,
    Jeff
    I don't get any compliments either. Perhaps l should buy some YSL "HOLY FRIGGIN MOLY" M7.

QuietEarth,

Do it. Not just for the compliments, but this is one scent that received great praise here on the boards that I DO actually agree with. I like what it smells like and clearly the opposite sex does as well. To be more specific, I had one lady come up to me in a furniture store, two different mom's from daycare, a teacher at daycare, one woman at my wife's family reunion who just couldn't stop sniffing me to the point where it was a little like those TAG/Axe commercials. Too bad she was 1.) Not attractive at all, 2.) The wife of my wife's cousin and 3.) I am happily married and could use my wife as a shield to get away from her. So word of caution, it's not always a GOOD thing to smell yummy. I'm not tackled by hottie hot hot hotties (my new favorite phrase taken from the Disney cartoon "The Emperor's New School"... did I mention I had a 3 year old daughter?). So be careful what you wish for.

Regs,
    Jeff

PS - One thing I will say, I am white guy, 34 years old. Not making any type of racial issue here, but I will say that more African-American women have made comments out loud to me than other caucasian women. Not sure if that's a culture thing and the caucasians are more uptight about asking or not. I just know that a cashier at Wendy's (African American) and a cashier at Home Depot (also African American) both were quite vocal about how good I smelled when I was wearing Thierry Mugler's Cologne. Not sure what that means, but I wanted to throw that out there.

This is an excellent thread joellark...

I don't know about being self-conscious about how I may be perceived by other in dishing out compliments but I almost make it my 'duty' to give out compliments to others... this is both on the way they look and the way they smell (and yes to complete strangers too).... if someone smells nice I make sure I pay them a compliment That smile on the other persons face is ohh so worth it....

Just this morning I was getting a coffee and a lady beside me smelled wonderful so I leaned over and said to her: "You smell wonderful!" and you should just see that big smile... Of course right away she told me what it was, where she got it and how much she paid for it too LOL... so you make friends too

As for myself, I do get compliments on my fragrances often: daily from my husband, (and believe me, he will tell me too when I wear something he does not like! LOL), my sister most of the time... my mom always comments whenever we hug (we hug a lot in our family)... some friends... and strangers too (ahmmm but I don't tend to hug strangers)...
    Last edited by Goddess_Dreams; 13th July 2006 at 02:49 PM.
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Quote Originally Posted by QuietEarth
    I don't get any compliments either. Perhaps l should buy some YSL "HOLY FRIGGIN MOLY" M7.
    Yes! M7 would do it My favorite for sure!
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

lol Indie -- it's a hamn string growler!

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    I'm thinking about getting M7 Fresh, actually. Which is the general preference, M7 or M7 Fresh?

M7 Fresh is super weird. I couldn't imagine getting a compliment wearing it. For that matter, M7 is a bit odd too, I'm surprised people like it so much. Not just because it's weird, I like weird, it just doesn't seem that appealing to me. Joel, I don't think there is a good answer to your question about which one is better. Even though I don't really dig either, I think that they're both worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by SliderJeff
    QuietEarth,

PS - One thing I will say, I am white guy, 34 years old. Not making any type of racial issue here, but I will say that more African-American women have made comments out loud to me than other caucasian women. Not sure if that's a culture thing and the caucasians are more uptight about asking or not. I just know that a cashier at Wendy's (African American) and a cashier at Home Depot (also African American) both were quite vocal about how good I smelled when I was wearing Thierry Mugler's Cologne. Not sure what that means, but I wanted to throw that out there.
    Maybe black ladies that work at fast food restaurants love Mugler cologne! I am cracking up reading your anecdote bc a black lady working at Jack in the Box once enthusiastically complimented my boyfriend on his Mugler cologne. Too funny of a coincidence!

Could be, I just honestly don't know. But even my wife has commented that I get more vocal comments from them than I do from "white chicks". To be honest, I could care less who likes it... just knowing that SOMEBODY out there does make me feel good. It's a shame that the person I want to like the umpteen million things I wear to smell good the MOST doesn't really like any of them except Polo. I guess it could be worse.. she could only like the smell of Aqua Velva or something.

Heck, I've even had a couple guys at the office ask me about a particular scent I wore because, "my wife like me to wear cologne but I don't like what they smell like at the store". A couple of guys fell into the Acqua di Gio pool based on me wearing that after the gym for awhile. Same with Armani Mania and Tuscany Forte.

Have a good evening,
    Jeff

Yes! Go for the M7! I haven't bought a bottle because I haven't found it at a decent price yet.

Joellark, you smell very nice today! there you go!

lol

I really think it depends on the environment. When i worked as a custody officer at heathrow airport, if i had said to another man you smell nice i probably would have got cloncked! I never got compliments. now i "look after" celebs at parties, i get loads of compliments from men and women. My most treasured was from Mariah carey for Boss elements.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Quote Originally Posted by tiff
    Maybe black ladies that work at fast food restaurants love Mugler cologne! I am cracking up reading your anecdote bc a black lady working at Jack in the Box once enthusiastically complimented my boyfriend on his Mugler cologne. Too funny of a coincidence!
    Wow. usually I don't get many comments on what I wear (though I can tell if people like my SOTDs or not), but I have gotten two negative comments on Mugler cologne...both from black ladies! So maybe there's no middle ground on this scent matched up with this demographic. Actually one of those ladies was a former boss, and even though I applied the smallest amount, she got a really visceral reaction like she had just taken laxatives and was about to get sick. She didn't like it at all. I do think that looking back, black women seem to have been the most likely to comment on a scent I was wearing, good or bad. That same woman who hated Mugler Cologne, really loved Paul Smith Men (the original in the green square bottle).

Ugh.. I just got Basi Homme, and Armand Basi Homme today. They smell terrible, like Laguna. I feel so stupid again. Another set of highly rated colognes that smell like cow dung on me. Maybe I have a problem, or something.

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!

/end whining.

Thanks for a good thread. It occurred to me that I don't care anymore if I receive a compliment or not. I don't watch for it. I've always been into fragrances but since I seriously got interested in them after discovering Basenotes (and expanded my wardrobe), more than ever, I wear fragrances for my own enjoyment and enjoy them in a different way even privately.
    In fact, sometimes, I don't want to get compliments if I know I'm in a conservative environment.
    However, to answer the original question, I receive very few compliments otherwise.
    RM

Joel, I haven't smelled either of the Basi scents so I can't give input on whether or not I think they are good or bad. I can, however, give input on your general approach. I think it's rather unrealistic to order scents blind that other people liked and expect to fall in love with them. A much safer approach is to go to stores and try things, and if stores don't have what you want, order samples. It isn't as quick as blindly ordering bottles, but you at least might end up with some scents that you like, which is afterall sort of the idea here. Just a thought. I'm sorry you don't like your new scents btw, but I don't think there's anything wrong with you.

p.s.- I noticed that the Basi scents are rated really highly at Perfumeemporium, and I'm wondering if those encouraged you to order the scents? A word of caution, don't pay an ounce of attention to the reviews on the website. The ones on Basenotes are a million times better, but even the ones here won't necessarily coincide with your opinions, so test things for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    I agree with Godess Dreams.Get that ladykiller M7 and Armani Mania.If I meet you in the street I`ll give you a compliment,I promise LOL
    Now,really, YSL M7 and Armani Mania are divine men frags
    Current top five:JPG Classique,Chanel Coco,Lolita Lempicka EDP,Armani Emporio SHE,Opium

Quote Originally Posted by Vivienleigh
    I agree with Godess Dreams.Get that ladykiller M7 and Armani Mania.If I meet you in the street I`ll give you a compliment,I promise LOL
    Now,really, YSL M7 and Armani Mania are divine men frags
    Ok guys, "HOLY FRIGGIN' MOLY" M7 and perhaps a little mania it is!

PS: Somedude, I have found a good price for M7:

www.shoppersdirect.com.au

$ (AU) 36.59 for 100ml. Not to shabby a deal, I reckon. (And I'm sure it says they ship internationally.)

QE

Everyone realizes that I'm like 20, right?

Is the original M7 for someone my age?