Code of Conduct

Default What is your power scent?

There has been myriad "What's (______) scent?" questions lately, so let's do another one.

What is your power scent, the scent you wear when you mean business? Not necessarily the scent you'd wear to the office everyday, but the scent you'd wear to a big client dinner, or a job interview, applying for a bank loan...etc The equivalent of the fragrance navy blue suit?
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Default Re: What is your power scent?

Amouage's Silver Cologne for me! Although a job interview may ask for something a little more low profile, like Creeds Original Vetiver.

Revised

In small amounts, aiming for an aura about an inch deep:

Jules
    Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    Loewe Pour Homme
    Cuir Mauresque
    Knize Ten
    Ungaro I
    Rive Gauche Pour Homme
    Nino Cerruti Pour Homme
    Muscs Koublai Khan
    Macassar
    Yatagan
    Blenheim Bouquet
    Parfum d'Habit
    Carlo Corinto Vetyver
    Last edited by pluran; 18th June 2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: V20GMid

Overcome By Fumes

Knize Ten

Classy, rich, old school but not overbearing

Tabarome millisime
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by pluran
    I don't do a lot of mainstream business but I consider Muscs Koublai Khan to be one of a few genuine power scents. I'm wearing it today. I also consider it to be the most liberating, inspiring and motivating fragrance I own.
    I don't think I would dare to wear this one solo. I love to layer it with something fruitier but if I'd wear this to 'do business' I think it would be in the sex-industry

But, my respect if you can wear this to a business lunch with your head high!

Post Re: What is your power scent?

PdN New York and Creed's Bois du Portugal nect to neck. By the way, am I the only one to find these two surprisingly similar?

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    I don't think I would dare to wear this one solo. I love to layer it with something fruitier but if I'd wear this to 'do business' I think it would be in the sex-industry

But, my respect if you can wear this to a business lunch with your head high!
    I wear it anywhere.

It's definitely prime for the sex industry.
    Last edited by pluran; 18th June 2007 at 05:34 AM. Reason: V20GMid

Vermeil. Definitely my frag of choice for a power scent.

For an important business meeting I'd want to be a shade understated. Don't want to come off as desperate for attention. A couple come to mind:

Lanvin L'Homme
    Baldessarini
    perhaps a vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow
    PdN New York and Creed's Bois du Portugal nect to neck. By the way, am I the only one to find these two surprisingly similar?
    Not at all....I fel these two are close as well...The PdN being a bit more citrusy...the dry down is not as pronounced as BdP but it is still similar and very nice.

Coco
    It's even more than a navy blue suit, it's almost like an armour!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

This is tough to answer because the situations that were outlined are those in which I feel I have the least power - job interview, bank loan, etc. In those situations looking or smelling too powerful could be off-putting to the one who has the power to make the decision - the employer or the loan officer. In those cases I try to wear something inoffensive. When I think power scent, I think of times when I just feel good about life, feel strong, feel powerful, in control, etc., etc., and those are not times when I am looking for a job or begging for money!

Anyway, at these powerful times I usually gravitate toward heavier, spicier scents - Havana and Piper Nigrum come to mind (PN seems to serve a lot of roles for me). Also, the animalic ones work for my power moods: Balenciaga Portos and Yatagan. Balenciaga Pour Homme and Divine L'Homme Sage work when the "power" mood is more intellectual.

Antheus
    Angel Men
    Jazz
    Top faves: Aramis Devin,Balenciage PH,Zino Davidoff,Trussardi Uomo,BlackXS,Sybaris,Furyo,HoHangClub,Santos Sport,KriziaSpazio,CarverVetiverDry,GIT,AmberSulta n,TeaForTwo,Dzing.
    My drobe: www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/47

It has to be something that I feel confident and comfortable in. B*men and M7 come to mind.

Hermes Equipage.

Guerlain Vetiver would fit the bill here. Like some others, I want my scent to be confident yet understated.

Yah, I don't necessarily mean when you feel powerful. I mean, when you want to smell your best without being offensive etc. A scent that you know smells pleasant and serious that isn't going to choke someone to death.
    For instance, if I wanted someone to take me seriously, I probably wouldn't wear Joop! to a meeting. What I'm looking for is the fragrance that you feel confident walking into a situation where you're really exposed wearing.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

For these situations, I generally opt for a lighter than normal application of Tabarome Millesime, Cuiron, Varvatos or Villoresi's Vetiver...........Polo Black even.............

I've always found Guerlain's Vetiver to be a little sobering......but I'm currently out of it, and need replenishment.
    Last edited by John.com; 12th July 2006 at 07:59 PM.

Creed's Bois Du Portugal. I wore it to a power Hollywood dinner the other week.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Jaipur and Rochas Lui

Since most things I currently own are very "in your face"
    (strong, unsubtle) I would have to say something like mugler cologne, which stays fairly close to the skin it seems, and is just plain clean smelling.
    Some others might be:
    boss bottled, or boss soul

as previously mentioned I wouldn't call these power scents because in those situations you really seem to have less power. More like "casual scents" for "conducting" business, instead of "meaning business"

I mean business when i throw on the Chanel PMC and plow through a bottle of gin.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Gucci Pour Homme
    and if I had some, Bois du Portugal

Bulgari Extreme
    Armani He
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

Van Cleef and Arpels PH

I have several scents that I could use for this purpose, but I will say Caron L'Impact de Pour un Homme.

Without a doubt, Creed BdP.

For me, Antaeus, Tuscany, Havana and Tabarome.

Antaeus, by a long shot.

Boucheron PH - classy and masculine

Quote Originally Posted by radix023
    For an important business meeting I'd want to be a shade understated. Don't want to come off as desperate for attention. A couple come to mind:

Lanvin L'Homme
    Baldessarini
    perhaps a vetiver
    absolutely agree!
    I would also add Contradiction for men CK, fresh (limes and a distinct vetyver note)

Carons 3th Man is a power scent to me. Or maybe any other fougere type fragrance like Paco Rabanne etc.. Caron 3th Man has this real 80's , power vibe to me.

John Varvatos. Masculine, yet subtle.

Dior Homme I guess...

Heritage
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    Tabarome millisime

Same here. Tabarome Millesime puts me in a different place altogether.