Code of Conduct

Default Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

So the fragrance bug bit me last night and I had some fun on Ebay.

I blindly purchased a full size bottle of Ungaro III and Yatagan.
    Hopefully I'll like them, but I'm not really sure what to expect.
    I'm a 21 year old college student, but my fav cologne is Polo(green) and I also like Polo Blue and Armani He.

These sounded like good cologne's based on the reviews, but my last blind purchase I made based on reviews/recommendations(Guerlain Vetiver) was a bust. Lol, I figure I'll like one out of the 3.

I also just received a $40 sephora gift card so I was gonna ask for some recommendations on something to get with that...
    I really like Sandalwood and also leather, and pine/woodsy things... and I'm still in search of that signature scent.
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 15th July 2006 at 02:26 AM.

Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night...

If you haven't already tried Varvatos, I'd really recommend that for the leathery notes in it. I love it.

As for pine/woodsy, Terre d'Hermes would be a good option, I think.

Both are at Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiatechboy
    So the fragrance bug bit me last night and I had some fun on Ebay.

I blindly purchased a full size bottle of Ungaro III and Yatagan.
    Hopefully I'll like them, but I'm not really sure what to expect.
    I'm a 21 year old college student, but my fav cologne is Polo(green) and I also like Polo Blue and Armani He.

These sounded like good cologne's based on the reviews, but my last blind purchase I made based on reviews/recommendations(Guerlain Vetiver) was a bust. Lol, I figure I'll like one out of the 3.

I also just received a $40 sephora gift card so I was gonna ask for some recommendations on something to get with that...
    I really like Sandalwood and also leather, and pine/woodsy things... and I'm still in search of that signature scent.

For pine/woodsy you may also want to check out L'artisan Fou D'absinthe.

GT Boy, I'm a bit confused about what you're looking for. While you say you want pine, wood, and leather, your more in-depth descriptions in your other thread led me to believe that you wanted a relatively simple, chick magnet type of scent. I haven't smelled Yatagan, but I have a feeling it's gonna whoop your ass. As for Ungaro III, I think it sucks. You definately shouldn't give up on the Vetiver, it's awesome stuff that will hopefully grow on you. So you have $40 to spend at Sephora... well if you're still interested in getting a chick magnet scent, Bulgari Aqua (like I said before) is a good fresh option and Varvatos (which Bubba recommended) is good for a darker, deeper option. Both are great though. It would help if you made it more clear what you want, because you seem to be contradicting yourself. Do you want a dark, badass scent (i.e. one with wood and leather), or do you want more of a simple chick magnet scent? If you want some sort of combination, things get a lot more complicated.

Also (shameless plug time), if you have a local Sephora you can do this yourself, but I have 1ml Varvatos samples for sale.

Again, if you have a Sephora local, then you can get a decant from them to try out without messing with me, but if not, check my thread in Sales if you want the info on what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    GT Boy, I'm a bit confused about what you're looking for. While you say you want pine, wood, and leather, your more in-depth descriptions in your other thread led me to believe that you wanted a relatively simple, chick magnet type of scent. I haven't smelled Yatagan, but I have a feeling it's gonna whoop your ass. As for Ungaro III, I think it sucks. You definately shouldn't give up on the Vetiver, it's awesome stuff that will hopefully grow on you. So you have $40 to spend at Sephora... well if you're still interested in getting a chick magnet scent, Bulgari Aqua (like I said before) is a good fresh option and Varvatos (which Bubba recommended) is good for a darker, deeper option. Both are great though. It would help if you made it more clear what you want, because you seem to be contradicting yourself. Do you want a dark, badass scent (i.e. one with wood and leather), or do you want more of a simple chick magnet scent? If you want some sort of combination, things get a lot more complicated.
    Hey Giraffe,
    Thanks for the input. Sorry for the confusion, I guess being new to this I'm not 100% sure of what I want myself. I definately don't need a "chick magnet" type of scent. I would definately prefer something that girls would like, but that is not the main focus of what I'm looking for. Like I said before in the previous posts you read, Polo Green is my favorite cologne and I would like something similar to that. My dad has worn it for years, but I guess thats part of the reason I like and and part of the reason I also don't want that to be my signature scent. However, I would like something similar to it, and reading the description of the Polo it seems to have those notes I mentioned wanting.

I would also like it to be something that isn't detested by girls, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a "chick magnet".
    Again, sorry about the confusion, I think in that thread you mentioned I had switched from looking for that signature scent to wanting an aquatic as well. The Bulgari Agua you mentioned sounds good and I may pick that up, but that is something I would like for the summer occasionally, not really a sig scent.

I don't know how much "stronger" the Yatagan is than Polo, but I'm assuming it isn't overwhelming(in fact, I read a post recently about people enjoying it a lot in the summer), so hopefully my ass will remain unkicked.
    As far as the Ungaro III, thanks for the opinion, but it seems to definately have more positive reviews than negative, so I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I remain optimistic about it.

Dr. Bubba, I really appreciate the offer, but I do have a Sephora about 10 minutes from my home, and I definately enjoy the instant gratification of going there!

The Ungaro seemed like an alternative that was unique and different and the Yatagan just sounded so good I had to order it. Then again, I guess around 1:00AM the willpower to stop from making blind purchases was lacking...
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 12th July 2006 at 11:41 PM.

I'm definately a fan of the Ungaro, but it wasn't love at first sniff. If it seems a bit weird at first, give it a chance. I don't get a lot of cologne compliments, but I have been complimented on UIII by more than one person.

As for the $40 at Sephora - just go in and smell around. Gendarme is my only leather(-ish) scent, but its one of my favorites and you can find it at Sephora. I also recommend at least smelling Varvatos. Its a very easy and forgiving leather (as opposed to, say, Bel Ami).

If you like Polo Green, you will love Creeds' Epicea. Check out the reviews of Epicea on basenotes, try a sample, and make a decision !

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

I will definately check those out, but I just can't wait for the Ungaro III and Yatagan, the reviews have been great and the notes seem like things I would really enjoy, but I guess its hard to tell before you smell it yourself. I think I'll stop by Sephora tomorrow and see what I've gotten myself into with my late night Ebay purchases...

Quote Originally Posted by snakesandladders
    For pine/woodsy you may also want to check out L'artisan Fou D'absinthe.
    Or Aramis 900 for more of an herbal kick. Amazing Stuff. Buy it at Marshall Field's.

Alrite GTBoy. Stick with the Guerlain Vetiver as Giraffe said. It's not one of those wow this smells nice things, but once you focus in on it and see the earthy sour nature of the vetiver combined with the freshy tobacco you will start to appreciate it. Read some of the in depth reviews on it and try to pick out the different parts yourself. Maybe it is also a little too strong for summer and you might be able to appreciate it more in winter.

The Ungaro III is also similar. You won't like it at first (probably), but read reviews and follow the journey of hte scent. When you can pick out the deep woody notes underlying the fragrance (rosewood?) and this playing with the other floral notes like geranium you will start to really enjoy it.

Stick with your current guns and trust me you'll start to appreciate them.
    Tell us how Yatagan turns out!

Quote Originally Posted by DrOfTheSoul
    Alrite GTBoy. Stick with the Guerlain Vetiver as Giraffe said. It's not one of those wow this smells nice things, but once you focus in on it and see the earthy sour nature of the vetiver combined with the freshy tobacco you will start to appreciate it. Read some of the in depth reviews on it and try to pick out the different parts yourself. Maybe it is also a little too strong for summer and you might be able to appreciate it more in winter.

The Ungaro III is also similar. You won't like it at first (probably), but read reviews and follow the journey of hte scent. When you can pick out the deep woody notes underlying the fragrance (rosewood?) and this playing with the other floral notes like geranium you will start to really enjoy it.

Stick with your current guns and trust me you'll start to appreciate them.
    Tell us how Yatagan turns out!
    Thanks!
    I will definately do that. I'm going to stick to them and try each for 3 days before switching to another. Hopefully I'll be able to pick out something I really love out of these. One of the others that looked really promising(very similar to the Polo Green) was Michael for Men. I think I'll try to get a sample of that from Sephora tomorrow.

Hi! You MUST read the EXTREME Scents article on our basenotes site. There's one there about Yatagan and Dzing. Read it and you will know why your ass will get kicked to high heaven. BUT... it can still be tamed using the method i mentioned to you in the other thread. Have fun.

I don't know how much "stronger" the Yatagan is than Polo, but I'm assuming it isn't overwhelming(in fact, I read a post recently about people enjoying it a lot in the summer), so hopefully my ass will remain unkicked.

As far as the Ungaro III, thanks for the opinion, but it seems to definately have more positive reviews than negative, so I guess I'll have to wait and see, but I remain optimistic about it.

Well, I like both of them. I don't know if I would recommend Yatagan as a blind buy though. I was also one of the folks on the thread about wearing Yatagan in the summer. I like it. I will also say that the few of us on that thread probably have some of the highest tolerances for stinky stinkies of anyone around! I personally like big, heavy, crazy scents, and Yatagan fits the bill. Be prepared for lots of plants and animals in that one - nothing pretty about it, except maybe for the beauty of primal nature. Herbs, castoreum, I get mustard for a while, then that dies down a bit and I get a dusty, leathery scent that still has that mustardy bite.

Ungaro III is a different animal altogether IMO. Much "prettier." It starts off with strong lavender, then it mellows out to what seems to me to be a lighter scent with florals and woodsy notes. It's less animalic and lighter than Yatagan, more appropriate for office wear. I didn't like it so much at first, but it grew on me quickly and eventually I had to have a bottle. Now I find that some days nothing else works quite as well as Ungaro III.

Good luck with the blind buys.

Quote Originally Posted by robyogi
    Well, I like both of them. I don't know if I would recommend Yatagan as a blind buy though. I was also one of the folks on the thread about wearing Yatagan in the summer. I like it. I will also say that the few of us on that thread probably have some of the highest tolerances for stinky stinkies of anyone around! I personally like big, heavy, crazy scents, and Yatagan fits the bill. Be prepared for lots of plants and animals in that one - nothing pretty about it, except maybe for the beauty of primal nature. Herbs, castoreum, I get mustard for a while, then that dies down a bit and I get a dusty, leathery scent that still has that mustardy bite.

Ungaro III is a different animal altogether IMO. Much "prettier." It starts off with strong lavender, then it mellows out to what seems to me to be a lighter scent with florals and woodsy notes. It's less animalic and lighter than Yatagan, more appropriate for office wear. I didn't like it so much at first, but it grew on me quickly and eventually I had to have a bottle. Now I find that some days nothing else works quite as well as Ungaro III.

Good luck with the blind buys.

Lol,
    Thanks guys. I will definately be careful with the Yatagan, sounds like a beast. Any comparison between this one and Polo(green)?

The Ungaro III sounds really nice as well, thanks for comments, really gets me ready on what to expect.

im with giraffe, ungaro 3 sucks imo. it smells like any ordinary cologne nothing special. perhaps i tried the new version, and its the old one that gets so much praise on here?

I blindly purchased a full size bottle of Ungaro III and Yatagan. Hopefully I'll like them, but I'm not really sure what to expect.
    georgiatechboy, I hope your blind buys turn out well for you, and I wish you good luck. However, if you are going to buy blind, I suggest that you try purchasing sample vials, minis, or decants. The purchase of these less costly items will be much easier on your wallet than the purchase of full size bottles.

Chick magnet scents available at Sephora:

Armani Code
    Issey Miyake L'Eau D'Issey
    Mugler Cologne
    Gucci Envy

I highly recommend the Mugler Cologne. It is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp
    If you like Polo Green, you will love Creeds' Epicea. Check out the reviews of Epicea on basenotes, try a sample, and make a decision !
    I second the Epicea.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

If you like Polo green you must try Lacoste Original (1984)! You'll like the mint/green notes!

Someone who likes Polo green should check out Quorum by Antonio Puig, Gucci PH and Tommy Bahama.

Michael for Men is another one with strong tobacco and leather notes that I like a lot too.

Some woody scents I really like are Azzaro Visit (cedar, pepper, nutmeg and incense--very similar to Gucci PH, but with a lot of nutmeg and no leather) and YSL M7 (agarwood).

For sandalwood, I like Chanel Egoiste (smooth, creamy and sweet but not too sweet), and Dior Fahrenheit (although this one get described in all kinds of ways, I get a strong sandalwood note from it that is drier and more biting than Egoiste).

I hated Guerlain Vetiver when I first tried it, but grew to really like it, so I wouldn't write it off based on first impressions.

Hope this helps.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Hello,
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions and comments. They were really instructive in helping me find something I like.
    I am still waiting for the Ungaro III and Yatagan(should arrive tomorrow or Saturday) and I also placed an order for Rive Gauche.

That leaves me with a "wardrobe"(nothing compared to most of you guys here) of Polo Green, Polo Blue, Gucci Envy, Armani He, Vera Wang, CK Truth, Ungaro III, Yatagan, and Rive Gauche.

I wanted to ask for some advice on how to sell fragrances that I don't really like anymore. I would like to sell the Gucci Envy, CK Truth, and Vera Wang(w/aftershave), but I see now that I cannot post on the sell forums because there is a minimum 500 posts necessary. Is there somewhere else you guys could recommend I sell these?

Welcome aboard!

Yatagan might do the trick for you, should be very interesting when it arrives.

Also consider:
    Lacoste Original (This is the one with the green bottle with the white label. It has a little bit of pine, citrus, rose, and sandalwood. Pretty subtle and has a soapy note.)

Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood - Sandalwood frag with a balsamic note. I've found it is better to go lightly with this one than heavy... for some reason I detect the fragrance longer when I do it that way.
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

I read a suggestion by a member to layer some Rive Gauche with Yatagan, definately sounds like something I'm looking foward to doing, haven't ever layered anything yet...

Just for the record, me and RT seem to be the main guys who dislike Ungaro III, which is suspicious since we tried it from the same bottle (I sent him the decant), so it's possible that it's a bad bottle. I got it from Perfumebay.com, and everything else from them has been fine so the bad bottle theory is unlikely. Also, like RT I find it to be rather average and cologny, the same type of crap that Polge pulled on such scents as the horrible Platinum Egoiste and the mediocre Ungaro Apparition. Given the ties there and that some people actually like each of those scents, it might just be that me and RT just have something against that style of scent. Unfortunately I can't revisit the Ungaro III because the damn atomizer (which sucked in the first place) is broken now.

Also, GT Boy, I 1st/3rd Epicea (first because I mentioned it in your last thread and 3rd because I'm the 3rd person in this thread) and I think you should definately get a sample of it. You seem to be ignoring that rec, but you oughta peep. One time I was wearing it in class during a test and this girl who was sitting like 4 chairs in front of me came after me after the test and told me how great I smelled. This is weird because I don't think of it as being a particularly strong scent. I guess it has some reach though. It is an extremely pleasant piney scent that is really fun/easy to wear.

L'Artisan Parfumeur's L'EAU DU NAVIGATEUR

Baldessarini's BALDESSARINI
    Last edited by Strange Accord; 14th July 2006 at 06:08 AM.

Hey guys,
    So I just got my bottle of Ungaro III and I definately like it a lot. I am so glad I made the purchase and I can't wait to wear it again tomorrow. Just two sprays on the chest and I was good to go and its lasted all afternoon/evening. Really wonderful scent. Still haven't had my gf or any girls smell it but I'm going out tomorrow evening for a party so hopefully I'll get some opinions then.

Also think I should be getting the Yatagan tomorrow so I'm trying to decide between the two as far as the party tomorrow. Any suggestions? Its a birthday party, just dinner and cake, nothing too fancy but everyone will be dressed pretty nice. Thanks guys for the suggestions, I really love this one and I can't wait for the Yatagan/Rive Gauche!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Just for the record, me and RT seem to be the main guys who dislike Ungaro III, which is suspicious since we tried it from the same bottle (I sent him the decant), so it's possible that it's a bad bottle. I got it from Perfumebay.com, and everything else from them has been fine so the bad bottle theory is unlikely. Also, like RT I find it to be rather average and cologny, the same type of crap that Polge pulled on such scents as the horrible Platinum Egoiste and the mediocre Ungaro Apparition. Given the ties there and that some people actually like each of those scents, it might just be that me and RT just have something against that style of scent. Unfortunately I can't revisit the Ungaro III because the damn atomizer (which sucked in the first place) is broken now.

Also, GT Boy, I 1st/3rd Epicea (first because I mentioned it in your last thread and 3rd because I'm the 3rd person in this thread) and I think you should definately get a sample of it. You seem to be ignoring that rec, but you oughta peep. One time I was wearing it in class during a test and this girl who was sitting like 4 chairs in front of me came after me after the test and told me how great I smelled. This is weird because I don't think of it as being a particularly strong scent. I guess it has some reach though. It is an extremely pleasant piney scent that is really fun/easy to wear.
    Thanks for the Epicea suggestion! I think as of now its a little out of my budget, lol, especially after ordering about 3-4 fragrances in the past week...
    I will definately look into it later, although I really do like the Ungaro III right now so I'll see if I like it enough(as well as the Rive Gauche and Yatagan) to see if I need/want to continue purchasing fragrances.

Hey guys,
    So I just got my bottle of Ungaro III and I definately like it a lot. I am so glad I made the purchase and I can't wait to wear it again tomorrow. Just two sprays on the chest and I was good to go and its lasted all afternoon/evening. Really wonderful scent. Still haven't had my gf or any girls smell it but I'm going out tomorrow evening for a party so hopefully I'll get some opinions then.

Also think I should be getting the Yatagan tomorrow so I'm trying to decide between the two as far as the party tomorrow. Any suggestions? Its a birthday party, just dinner and cake, nothing too fancy but everyone will be dressed pretty nice. Thanks guys for the suggestions, I really love this one and I can't wait for the Yatagan/Rive Gauche!
    I'd say the Ungaro no doubt. It strikes me as the more mainstream, easier to get along with scent. The Yatagan is pretty intense stuff. I think it comes into its own when you wear it outdoors - the animal and herbal qualities just mesh with the sun, breeze, and the smells from nature.

Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

Hehehehhee LOL! Sorry, i just can't wait for you to try the Yatagan!

Layer it with RIVE GAUCHE???? Hehehheheheheh LOL!!!!! Somebody's been playing wit ya! LOL!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Hehehehhee LOL! Sorry, i just can't wait for you to try the Yatagan!

Layer it with RIVE GAUCHE???? Hehehheheheheh LOL!!!!! Somebody's been playing wit ya! LOL!!!!
    Lol, not sure if I'm looking forward to it so much anymore...
    Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow afternoon though so I can give it a shot. Was the Rive Gauche with a lil bit of Yatagan just a joke, I think I saw it posted a couple of times...

Layer Rive Gauche with Yatagan? THAT would be scary. Like a hyena covered in shaving cream?

KO
    Last edited by knightowl; 15th July 2006 at 08:05 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Lol, not sure if I'm looking forward to it so much anymore...
    Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow afternoon though so I can give it a shot. Was the Rive Gauche with a lil bit of Yatagan just a joke, I think I saw it posted a couple of times...
    Not only are they dissimilar, they're both powerfrags IMO, but you mentioned "a lil bit", so perhaps the guy was serious. However, Yatagan + RG is equavalent to E=MC2 in the fragrance world.

I'm so sorry about your scent experience of late. I've been keeping tabs on your posts, following your developments so to speak but maybe your nose equates the green polo with your dad and so there is a positive reinforcement there, and you've grown to like the scent over time, not necessarily the scent type. It happens with scents. If my grandad wore Kouros all his life instead of Guerlain Vertiver, i'd probably be a Kouros lover today (which i am not for sure!). I highly recommend you check out the newer Dior scents out there such as Dior Homme and Bois d'Argent. Try out all the scent categories to find your preferences. BUT, i may be wrong and you may just LOVE the Yatagan like i do. Most scents need time to grow into, study and appreciate. Yatagan is definitely one of those scents.

Not only are they dissimilar, they're both powerfrags IMO, but you mentioned "a lil bit", so perhaps the guy was serious. However, Yatagan + RG is equavalent to E=MC2 in the fragrance world.

I'm so sorry about your scent experience of late. I've been keeping tabs on your posts, following your developments so to speak but maybe your nose equates the green polo with your dad and so there is a positive reinforcement there, and you've grown to like the scent over time, not necessarily the scent type. It happens with scents. If my grandad wore Kouros all his life instead of Guerlain Vertiver, i'd probably be a Kouros lover today (which i am not for sure!). I highly recommend you check out the newer Dior scents out there such as Dior Homme and Bois d'Argent. Try out all the scent categories to find your preferences. BUT, i may be wrong and you may just LOVE the Yatagan like i do. Most scents need time to grow into, study and appreciate. Yatagan is definitely one of those scents.

Thanks for the advice! I will definately keep looking and try different categories to see what I really enjoy. The Ungaro III I really did like after one application. I thought it was pretty long lasting(put it on around 8 and I could smell it around 1, although it wasn't very pronounced) and I am going to try it this evening at the party to see if it gets any kind of a reaction. Perhaps I'll go with more than the two sprays I did yesterday to see if that helps longevity.
    You may be right as far as the Polo association with fond memories, it really is, but I just didn't want to wear it everyday since that is the scent I associate with my dad and I want another scent associated with me.

One that I did want to try was the Terre d'Hermes. I have heard good things about that one.

I am going to try it this evening at the party to see if it gets any kind of a reaction. Perhaps I'll go with more than the two sprays I did yesterday to see if that helps longevity.
    Just an advice, for the party, wear 5-8 spritzes and wear a black and a little red combo. Can't wait to see the reaction you'll get.

Just an advice, for the party, wear 5-8 spritzes and wear a black and a little red combo. Can't wait to see the reaction you'll get.
    Well didn't read this message before going for the party, but I did end up wearing black anyway. However, I went with 3 sprays. One on my chest, one on my neck and one on my shirt. It was definately underwhelming. I don't think I could even smell it on myself, let alone anyone else smell it on me. People definately had plenty of opportunity to smell it because there were a lot of people whom I had not seen for a long time so there were lots of hugs, but not one comment about the scent. I wasn't dissapointed because I didn't receive any compliments, but maybe a little surprised that even my gf didn't notice it when I saw her and hugged her there.

I think maybe this scent simply doesn't work great with me as far as longevity/sillage is concerned, or maybe I need to go up to about 6 or so sprays.
    The longest lasting fragrance I have so far is Polo(the Yatagan and Rive Gauche have not yet arrived) and if I spray myself in the neck once it will last at least 6-8 hours and I won't for a minute forget I have it on.
    With the UngaroIII after the first half hour or so, I have to remind myself I did in fact put cologne on and lean into my chest to catch a wiff of anything.

I thought you liked the Ungaro?

This is what we were cautioning about - don't give the UIII a negative judgment too quickly. Give it a chance - its a big winner in a lot of people's drobes for a reason. I personally would not condem any frag so quickly, especially one as complex as UIII.

I thought you liked the Ungaro?
    I did like it. Unfortunately, my gf did not. I do want to wear it for myself, but when the person who is with me the most doesn't like it, her opinion does carry a lot of weight. I appreciate the help finding it though!

I did like it. Unfortunately, my gf did not. I do want to wear it for myself, but when the person who is with me the most doesn't like it, her opinion does carry a lot of weight. I appreciate the help finding it though!
    Oh boy! I can't wait for her to smell Yatagan on you! She will "swoon", i tell you! LOL!!!

Lol,
    Hopefully she'll like the Rive Gauche.

rive gauche is a SOLID buy, very good stuff, acrid at first, drydown is superb very powdery and soft smelling.. great stuff.

Also- It was recommended earlier in this thread- and if youre still in the market, L'artisan's "Fou D'absinthe" , it's really really nice. woody fresh, i smell incense in it. it's at least worth emailing them for the FREE samples they will send.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    rive gauche is a SOLID buy, very good stuff, acrid at first, drydown is superb very powdery and soft smelling.. great stuff.

Also- It was recommended earlier in this thread- and if youre still in the market, L'artisan's "Fou D'absinthe" , it's really really nice. woody fresh, i smell incense in it. it's at least worth emailing them for the FREE samples they will send.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I will send them an email for a sample of it.
    I appreciate it and I'm definately looking forward to the rive gauche. I've heard the comparisons to Brut as well, and that used to be a fav aftershave/deoderant of mine, so that is also something postive.

I think you might be pleasantly surprised by Yatagan. I love it. It's stong, so I only spritz it on my chest before dressing.

Of course if you hate it, I'm sure one of us would take it off your hands. Like me.

As for Sephora, here are a few that they carry that I like (but you should go to your Sephora and test drive them):

Fresh Cannabis Santal
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Girgio Armani Armani
    Guerlain Heritage

Blog Entries

You know...since your girlfriend's opinions have a lot of pull regarding the fragrances you wear, why don't the two of you go out shopping for frags together? We can recommend frags for you left & right, but the ultimate seal of approval will come from your girlfriend
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    You know...since your girlfriend's opinions have a lot of pull regarding the fragrances you wear, why don't the two of you go out shopping for frags together? We can recommend frags for you left & right, but the ultimate seal of approval will come from your girlfriend

You're right, that is what I plan on doing. I have that $40 Sephora gift card already and I'm looking to sell off about 5 other colognes I have that don't agree with me as much(they are posted in the for sale forum). I figure once I sell these, I'll have enough to get 2-3 nice bottles of something from Sephora.

I am looking forward to the Yatagan tmp00 and I will definately try on the colognes you mentioned as well at Sephora. Another I am looking forward to trying is the Terre d'Hermes.
    Thanks everyone for the input!

Hey all,
    So here are some updated initial reactions to some colognes. The Yatagan did not in fact, kick my butt. However, it did strongly remind me of the tobacco my uncle used to chew as I was a kid, and it simply was not appealing to me(or my gf). Its up for sale in the forum along with some other things.

I also gave the Terre d'Hermes a shot and while I can see how many ppl would like it, it wasn't for me. Smelled like orange to begin with, a little too citrisy for me, but I must say it had great longevity. I tried to wash it off after a few hours, but it wouldn't leave until I had showered that evening. Btw, gf also didn't like it.

I decided to go ahead and get rid of the Ungaro III as well despite liking it myself because the gf didn't like that one either.

I think both she and I are used to the more "old fashioned" types of scents that our fathers used to wear. She says her dad used to almost always have on Old Spice, and my father has never worn anything but original Polo. I really enjoy the Polo scent and I wear it relatively often(with only a walk through so it stays light in the summer). However, I think she prefers the Polo Blue(which I am starting to like less and less because of the longevity).

I ordered the Rive Gauche quite some time ago and am still waiting for its delivery, but I don't think I've anticipated any cologne more than that one. I have heard the comparisons to Brut, and I love that smell. I used to wear it as an aftershave/deoderant in high school and I couldn't get enough of it.

Hopefully that will be the "one" I've been searching for and I will definately keep everyone updated on it. I also have a sample of Geir coming to me courtesy of Vijay. I'm not sure if it'll be what I'm looking for since its been described as very floral, but after reading all the good reviews I felt like I had to give it a chance.
    Have a good day!

EDIT:
    I wanted to ask one more question. Does Polo(green) or RG sound like things that would be appropriate to wear to work/meetings/job interviews?
    I am going to graduate in a year from college, so right now I can kind of wear whatever I want, but I just wanted to make sure these scents wouldn't be innappropriate for those other situations. Thanks!
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 21st July 2006 at 12:31 PM.