Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 31 to 47 of 47
  1. #31

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Hehehehhee LOL! Sorry, i just can't wait for you to try the Yatagan!

    Layer it with RIVE GAUCHE???? Hehehheheheheh LOL!!!!! Somebody's been playing wit ya! LOL!!!!
    Lol, not sure if I'm looking forward to it so much anymore...
    Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow afternoon though so I can give it a shot. Was the Rive Gauche with a lil bit of Yatagan just a joke, I think I saw it posted a couple of times...

  2. #32

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Layer Rive Gauche with Yatagan? THAT would be scary. Like a hyena covered in shaving cream?



    KO
    Last edited by knightowl; 15th July 2006 at 08:05 AM.
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

  3. #33

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by georgiatechboy
    Lol, not sure if I'm looking forward to it so much anymore...
    Hopefully I'll get it tomorrow afternoon though so I can give it a shot. Was the Rive Gauche with a lil bit of Yatagan just a joke, I think I saw it posted a couple of times...
    Not only are they dissimilar, they're both powerfrags IMO, but you mentioned "a lil bit", so perhaps the guy was serious. However, Yatagan + RG is equavalent to E=MC2 in the fragrance world.

    I'm so sorry about your scent experience of late. I've been keeping tabs on your posts, following your developments so to speak but maybe your nose equates the green polo with your dad and so there is a positive reinforcement there, and you've grown to like the scent over time, not necessarily the scent type. It happens with scents. If my grandad wore Kouros all his life instead of Guerlain Vertiver, i'd probably be a Kouros lover today (which i am not for sure!). I highly recommend you check out the newer Dior scents out there such as Dior Homme and Bois d'Argent. Try out all the scent categories to find your preferences. BUT, i may be wrong and you may just LOVE the Yatagan like i do. Most scents need time to grow into, study and appreciate. Yatagan is definitely one of those scents.

  4. #34

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Not only are they dissimilar, they're both powerfrags IMO, but you mentioned "a lil bit", so perhaps the guy was serious. However, Yatagan + RG is equavalent to E=MC2 in the fragrance world.

    I'm so sorry about your scent experience of late. I've been keeping tabs on your posts, following your developments so to speak but maybe your nose equates the green polo with your dad and so there is a positive reinforcement there, and you've grown to like the scent over time, not necessarily the scent type. It happens with scents. If my grandad wore Kouros all his life instead of Guerlain Vertiver, i'd probably be a Kouros lover today (which i am not for sure!). I highly recommend you check out the newer Dior scents out there such as Dior Homme and Bois d'Argent. Try out all the scent categories to find your preferences. BUT, i may be wrong and you may just LOVE the Yatagan like i do. Most scents need time to grow into, study and appreciate. Yatagan is definitely one of those scents.

    Thanks for the advice! I will definately keep looking and try different categories to see what I really enjoy. The Ungaro III I really did like after one application. I thought it was pretty long lasting(put it on around 8 and I could smell it around 1, although it wasn't very pronounced) and I am going to try it this evening at the party to see if it gets any kind of a reaction. Perhaps I'll go with more than the two sprays I did yesterday to see if that helps longevity.
    You may be right as far as the Polo association with fond memories, it really is, but I just didn't want to wear it everyday since that is the scent I associate with my dad and I want another scent associated with me.

    One that I did want to try was the Terre d'Hermes. I have heard good things about that one.

  5. #35

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by georgiatechboy
    I am going to try it this evening at the party to see if it gets any kind of a reaction. Perhaps I'll go with more than the two sprays I did yesterday to see if that helps longevity.
    Just an advice, for the party, wear 5-8 spritzes and wear a black and a little red combo. Can't wait to see the reaction you'll get.

  6. #36

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Just an advice, for the party, wear 5-8 spritzes and wear a black and a little red combo. Can't wait to see the reaction you'll get.
    Well didn't read this message before going for the party, but I did end up wearing black anyway. However, I went with 3 sprays. One on my chest, one on my neck and one on my shirt. It was definately underwhelming. I don't think I could even smell it on myself, let alone anyone else smell it on me. People definately had plenty of opportunity to smell it because there were a lot of people whom I had not seen for a long time so there were lots of hugs, but not one comment about the scent. I wasn't dissapointed because I didn't receive any compliments, but maybe a little surprised that even my gf didn't notice it when I saw her and hugged her there.

    I think maybe this scent simply doesn't work great with me as far as longevity/sillage is concerned, or maybe I need to go up to about 6 or so sprays.
    The longest lasting fragrance I have so far is Polo(the Yatagan and Rive Gauche have not yet arrived) and if I spray myself in the neck once it will last at least 6-8 hours and I won't for a minute forget I have it on.
    With the UngaroIII after the first half hour or so, I have to remind myself I did in fact put cologne on and lean into my chest to catch a wiff of anything.

  7. #37

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    I thought you liked the Ungaro?

  8. #38

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    This is what we were cautioning about - don't give the UIII a negative judgment too quickly. Give it a chance - its a big winner in a lot of people's drobes for a reason. I personally would not condem any frag so quickly, especially one as complex as UIII.

  9. #39

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    I thought you liked the Ungaro?
    I did like it. Unfortunately, my gf did not. I do want to wear it for myself, but when the person who is with me the most doesn't like it, her opinion does carry a lot of weight. I appreciate the help finding it though!

  10. #40

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by georgiatechboy
    I did like it. Unfortunately, my gf did not. I do want to wear it for myself, but when the person who is with me the most doesn't like it, her opinion does carry a lot of weight. I appreciate the help finding it though!
    Oh boy! I can't wait for her to smell Yatagan on you! She will "swoon", i tell you! LOL!!!

  11. #41

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Lol,
    Hopefully she'll like the Rive Gauche.

  12. #42

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    rive gauche is a SOLID buy, very good stuff, acrid at first, drydown is superb very powdery and soft smelling.. great stuff.

    Also- It was recommended earlier in this thread- and if youre still in the market, L'artisan's "Fou D'absinthe" , it's really really nice. woody fresh, i smell incense in it. it's at least worth emailing them for the FREE samples they will send.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

  13. #43

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    rive gauche is a SOLID buy, very good stuff, acrid at first, drydown is superb very powdery and soft smelling.. great stuff.

    Also- It was recommended earlier in this thread- and if youre still in the market, L'artisan's "Fou D'absinthe" , it's really really nice. woody fresh, i smell incense in it. it's at least worth emailing them for the FREE samples they will send.
    Thanks for the advice!
    I will send them an email for a sample of it.
    I appreciate it and I'm definately looking forward to the rive gauche. I've heard the comparisons to Brut as well, and that used to be a fav aftershave/deoderant of mine, so that is also something postive.

  14. #44

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Beverly Hills, California
    Posts
    1,523

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    I think you might be pleasantly surprised by Yatagan. I love it. It's stong, so I only spritz it on my chest before dressing.

    Of course if you hate it, I'm sure one of us would take it off your hands. Like me.

    As for Sephora, here are a few that they carry that I like (but you should go to your Sephora and test drive them):

    Fresh Cannabis Santal
    Dior Eau Sauvage
    Girgio Armani Armani
    Guerlain Heritage

  15. #45

    CologneJunkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Overland Park, KS
    Posts
    4,822
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    You know...since your girlfriend's opinions have a lot of pull regarding the fragrances you wear, why don't the two of you go out shopping for frags together? We can recommend frags for you left & right, but the ultimate seal of approval will come from your girlfriend
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

  16. #46

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie
    You know...since your girlfriend's opinions have a lot of pull regarding the fragrances you wear, why don't the two of you go out shopping for frags together? We can recommend frags for you left & right, but the ultimate seal of approval will come from your girlfriend

    You're right, that is what I plan on doing. I have that $40 Sephora gift card already and I'm looking to sell off about 5 other colognes I have that don't agree with me as much(they are posted in the for sale forum). I figure once I sell these, I'll have enough to get 2-3 nice bottles of something from Sephora.

    I am looking forward to the Yatagan tmp00 and I will definately try on the colognes you mentioned as well at Sephora. Another I am looking forward to trying is the Terre d'Hermes.
    Thanks everyone for the input!

  17. #47

    Default Re: Made some blind purchases last night, INITIAL REACTION!

    Hey all,
    So here are some updated initial reactions to some colognes. The Yatagan did not in fact, kick my butt. However, it did strongly remind me of the tobacco my uncle used to chew as I was a kid, and it simply was not appealing to me(or my gf). Its up for sale in the forum along with some other things.

    I also gave the Terre d'Hermes a shot and while I can see how many ppl would like it, it wasn't for me. Smelled like orange to begin with, a little too citrisy for me, but I must say it had great longevity. I tried to wash it off after a few hours, but it wouldn't leave until I had showered that evening. Btw, gf also didn't like it.

    I decided to go ahead and get rid of the Ungaro III as well despite liking it myself because the gf didn't like that one either.

    I think both she and I are used to the more "old fashioned" types of scents that our fathers used to wear. She says her dad used to almost always have on Old Spice, and my father has never worn anything but original Polo. I really enjoy the Polo scent and I wear it relatively often(with only a walk through so it stays light in the summer). However, I think she prefers the Polo Blue(which I am starting to like less and less because of the longevity).

    I ordered the Rive Gauche quite some time ago and am still waiting for its delivery, but I don't think I've anticipated any cologne more than that one. I have heard the comparisons to Brut, and I love that smell. I used to wear it as an aftershave/deoderant in high school and I couldn't get enough of it.

    Hopefully that will be the "one" I've been searching for and I will definately keep everyone updated on it. I also have a sample of Geir coming to me courtesy of Vijay. I'm not sure if it'll be what I'm looking for since its been described as very floral, but after reading all the good reviews I felt like I had to give it a chance.
    Have a good day!

    EDIT:
    I wanted to ask one more question. Does Polo(green) or RG sound like things that would be appropriate to wear to work/meetings/job interviews?
    I am going to graduate in a year from college, so right now I can kind of wear whatever I want, but I just wanted to make sure these scents wouldn't be innappropriate for those other situations. Thanks!
    Last edited by georgiatechboy; 21st July 2006 at 12:31 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Another "Just Got Back From London" thread... (but better!)
    By Sorcery of Scent in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 8th June 2008, 03:49 PM
  2. Reaction to New Blind Buys
    By acceptfacts in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 6th March 2008, 08:13 PM
  3. The Best Blind Purchase You Have Made?
    By Figure9 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 3rd August 2006, 02:20 PM
  4. Two new blind purchases....whew!
    By rjrober22 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 1st December 2005, 07:31 AM
  5. New Reaction for Her.
    By cedriceccentric in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th January 2005, 07:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000