Code of Conduct

Smile Hot,dry,desert..scents for arabian nights??..

What fragrances would remind you of dry..desert..nights in Tunisia..Morrocco...Off the coast of Spain..France..Italy..Greece...Somwhere mysterious and exotic..??Something deep....not too sweet or spicy..but dry..smokey...desert like..?

Default Re: Hot,dry,desert..scents for arabian nights??..

Gobin Daudé: Nuit au Désert

Not sweet, not spicy, very dry. Smells like a campfire to me.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

M7 no doubt, check the new ad.

HELMUT LANG Cuiron, for me smells like a tent made of goats hair in the middle of the arabia desert, with the smell of fire at night & spicy gourmet.

Ambre Sultan from Serge Lutens

ARABIE by Lutens as well, reminds of an arabian nomad men body odor.

GUCCI rush can fit, for a less intense mood.

CdG2
    Last edited by tariq; 20th July 2006 at 05:34 AM.

I have never been in a desert, but for any cold night I'd wear Fracas or A la Nuit. Not exactly dry though...

Andy Tauer's L'Air du Desert Marocain- what else?

This has quickly become one of my favorites- a dry amber, slightly floral into the heart, and dry, woody tones at the base- smells just like the wind blowing across hot dunes. I'm actually surprised at how good it behaves in really warm weather too- as you can imagine, it's wonderful in cooler weather and just gorgeous for night time.

You can order generous samples from his own site- that's how I'm getting by as I can't yet afford a bottle. http://www.tauerperfumes.com/
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Smile Re: Hot,dry,desert..scents for arabian nights??..

Thanks all..I am lucky enough to have a bottle of :L'Air ....!

Montale's Black Aoud. This reminds me of what Scheharazade may have worn while she told her stories to her captor. This is the essence of The Arabian Nights! A deep, haunting fragrance, indeed:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

When I read your post, the first thing that came to my mind was Chergui by SL.
    "Whereof one cannot speak, one must remain silent thereof." --Wittgenstein

Smile Re: Hot,dry,desert..scents for arabian nights??..

CHergui I love..

I have nver tried the Montls..Are the fragranceor OIL..?I don't yse oils...

Jean Louis Scherrer Nuits Indienne (sometimes also called Nuits de Scherrer) -- a spicy hot oriental and a cool chypre in one bottle. Complex and intellectual, something that Sheherazade would wear. Love its green with gold dust box too.

Never been to any of those places but Timbuktu came immediately to my mind. It is a serious scent that makes me feel good any time I use it.

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Ahhh those were the days/nights... I love the warm, windy night in Tunisia... the smell in the air the sounds of crickets.... I long to visit Morocco too!

I have to second a few fragrances already mentioned:

M7, Ambre Sultan, Arabie (although Arabie always reminds me a whole lot more of the daytime in a sunny warm marketplace)...

But, there are a few others that also remind me of those warm windy nights of dry grass and night-blooming flowers in the garden in front of our house... (not exactly the desert, but more at the bottom of a very small hill on which you could see dry grass and small trees with no leaves.... where during the day we'd run around and worry our parents to death).

If you were to mix Alien with Arabie, that would be close to what it often smelled like in front of the house at night... or perhaps Omnia on it's own... or with a hint of Eau des Merveilles...

Or maybe it's more like (well whatever the wind would bring to you).... so one moment you smell Eau des Merveilles, and the next it's all Omnia and then you are bowled over by blossoms and then out of nowhere you get incense....

And still no one mentioned the fish market at noon! LOL
    "Of the five senses, the sense of smell is incontestably the one that best conveys a sense of immortality."

Salvador Dali

Thumbs up Re: Hot,dry,desert..scents for arabian nights??..

Lovely descriptions....Those hot Meditteranean nights with the night blooming flowers and jasmine in the air...a warm breeze....the sea air...Theres always something magical in the Meditteranean!!

Quote Originally Posted by Goddess_Dreams
    And still no one mentioned the fish market at noon! LOL
    Eeee-gads! You are right. I guess we could throw in a bit of Mitsouko- as lovely as it is on some, it can have a kind of fish-oil air about it.
    Scent is such a lovely, simple pleasure!

Blog Entries

Talking Re: Hot,dry,desert..scents for arabian nights??..

How could no one have mentioned these desert beauties??

Estee Lauder Youth Dew
    Dana Tabu
    Guerlain Shalimar EDT
    Lancome Magie Noire
    Donna Karan Black Cashmere
    Estee Lauder Cinnabar
    Givenchy Ysatis
    Dior Poison Espirit de Parfum (NOT the EDT - too fruity)
    Five Star Fragrance Royal Secret II
    Guerlain Jicky PdT
    Cartier Must (de) parfum (NOT the EDT)

Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Overcome By Fumes

L'Artisan Parfumeur Safran Troublant comes to mind, with its rich saffron and spice note very evocative of a North African bazaar. And unlike some spicy fragrances, this one is not overly sweet.

The Sands of Aqaba - by Aqaba - Florentine iris, Roman chamomile, Algerian geranium, coriander, cardamom, vetiver, frankincense, tuberose

Aqaba Midnight Sun - gardenia, freesia, rose damask, orange flower, rose, Indian sandalwood, white musk, tuberose
    Last edited by Tovah; 22nd July 2006 at 04:48 AM.