Code of Conduct

Default How do I use these samples?

I received some fragrance samples that come in just a small vial, like a test tube. They have no sprays, and the top just pops open. The natural thing to do is dab some on to my skin with my fingertips, but I don't seem to get enough on to make the scent last to its potential.
    How do you deal with these samples? What I do is cover the top of the vial with my fingertip and then flip the bottle over to get a bit of liquid on my finger, then dab it on my skin. Repeat process for awhile. Is that right?

Default Re: How do I use these samples?

I pop off the top, push the vial against my wrist, tilt, drag against my skin until a small snail-trail of juice is left behind, and tilt upright again. No spillage if you tilt your wrist IN CONJUNCTION with the vial. ;D
    No longer offering decants. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    I pop off the top, push the vial against my wrist, tilt, drag against my skin until a small snail-trail of juice is left behind, and tilt upright again. No spillage if you tilt your wrist IN CONJUNCTION with the vial. ;D
    That's the Roll On technique without the Roll On. LOL! ;D
    decant sales:
    Crystal Flacon

Someone here said you could use a cotton cue tip, haven't tried it myself though but it sounds like it would work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    Someone here said you could use a cotton cue tip, haven't tried it myself though but it sounds like it would work fine.
    Doesnt that absorb all of the juice?

What I do is take off the top after shaking the vial and rub the top on my wrist. I've come to notice that the top actually acts as a suction cup so when you remove it from the vial, there is a drop or two held in it.

there's no trick to it. just use whatever you feel comfortable with. as long as it ends up where you want it, you did it right.
    [SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]
    Traveller, there is no path. You make the path as you walk. -- A. Machado[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I like the roll on idea.
    There is no Nose....

Quote Originally Posted by Hysteria
    Yep. I'm a snail trail roller oner too.
    "Ca sent les pieds!"

Quote Originally Posted by loungeboy
    [quote author=Hysteria link=1135232763/0#1 date=1135233021]I pop off the top, push the vial against my wrist, tilt, drag against my skin until a small snail-trail of juice is left behind, and tilt upright again. No spillage if you tilt your wrist IN CONJUNCTION with the vial. ;D
    Yep. I'm a snail trail roller oner too.[/quote]

That's the best way I've found.

Can anyone provide any insight into the whole "dipstick" thing that is attached to most caps. I could see if the juice was actually thick enough to pick up a drop on the stick and apply it that way, but it is essentially useless for cologne/perfume uses. Is there anything it's good for other than to further reduce the volume of the vial? Sometimes you can rub the stick on your skin if you don't want to put all that much on, but what's the point if you don't wear the scent full-strength?

Press the mouth of the vial to your wrist, tilt the vial until it's contents are in contact with your skin, tilt back, allow a thin trail of perfume to trickle 2-3 inches then smooth into a uniform layer with the plastic applicator. repeat as necesary.
    "He was some kind of a man... What does it matter what you say about people?"

I actually use Hysteria's style, but shifts' idea might be good, just get rid of the cotton part of a plastic swab and sink it into the juice and dab on the skin like a scent wand...INGENIOUS! I think I'll try that from now on, so that I don't create too much contamination for dab on scents like my Jicky perfume bottle.

I like it best when it has that stopper that allows the juice to get trapped in that "reservoir" and you just dab whats in there on the skin without making a mess when you take the vial directly to the skin.

Close your eyes, so you can see what you're smelling.

"Press trigger twice to release the strength of wood...the wantonness of vanilla...the sentiment of floral...the passion of spice!"

~My reviews~

~My Wardrobe~

I WANT MORE CHYPRE!

Wouldnt it be great if they could just shape the end of the wand like the eye of a needle so it would hold a little perfume?
    I'll try the roll on method next time I get a sample.

I finally found a solution I'm happy with. I was looking for some plastic tooth picks to use as disposable dabbers, but I found some little plastic swords that are meant to be stuck in olives before they are put into drinks. These are longer and wider than plastic toothpicks, and they work perfectly for dabbing on samples.

pour the lot into your hand and splash it on , fonzy style! its free!
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

As I scientist, I have access to small droppers/pipets.

If you're not able to get your hands on these, you can utilise cocktail straws. Cut them to "one time use" lengths (if you've into saving a wee bit of money), and use a simple "finger over the other end thus creating a vacuum" technique to draw out whatever amount is necessary/desired.

This is much cleaner than exposing the liquid to the flora on your skin, which is a result of the previously mentioned "dragging" technique.

Let us now what you think/decide upon.