Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Now I see what all the fuss is about for Gendarme...

... this is one great scent.

As Sephora's website was having Gendarme on sale (and I had a gift card for them), I decided to finally take the plunge and buy a bottle of the stuff. Never mind that I never tested it before... I had to try this stuff.

So, after the UPS guy showed up with the package from Sephora today, I spritzed some on despite my dose of Angel Men from earlier in the day. Guess what... this is my new favorite "fresh" scent, beating out my long-time fave Mugler Cologne (!). It smells soapy in the vein of the Mugler, but greener and with more depth.

All in all, I now see what all the fuss about this stuff on here is about. Highly recommended.

P.S.: Sephora.com still has the 4 oz bottle on sale for $31.50.
    I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone.

Default Re: Now I see what all the fuss is about for Gendarme...

Quote Originally Posted by MFfan310
    ... this is one great scent.

P.S.: Sephora.com still has the 4 oz bottle on sale for $31.50.

I agree!

And

WOOT! Getting a bottle!

I still don't "get" it. I tried all versions of Gendarme and I don't like any of them.
    There is something about it that makes me feel sick. I ended up pouring all the samples I had of all the versions of Gendarme into one bottle just for the hell of it and now I have a bottle of juice that I smell when i want to feel sick

M
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

Post Thanks / Like

The original Gendarme, Gendarme V, Gendarme 20, and Grabazzi are all fantastic. I would wear these fragrances quite often, but they all have one problem on my skin: their longevity is extremely poor. Because of this longevity problem, I never bother to wear them, and they will never find a place in my wardrobe. But they do smell good for the very short period of time that they last, which is just a couple of minutes.

Post Thanks / Like

I went in the opposite direction moving from Gendarme to MC so perhaps it is just a need for change every now and then in this segment of fragrances? I've said this before...i love the Gendarme but I only spray it on my sheets when I have freshly made the bed for houseguests. I don't have a signature scent, by my bedsheets to as my guests consistently comment and wonder about the amazing scent of my bedsheets.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    The original Gendarme, Gendarme V, Gendarme 20, and Grabazzi are all fantastic. I would wear these fragrances quite often, but they all have one problem on my skin: their longevity is extremely poor. Because of this longevity problem, I never bother to wear them, and they will never find a place in my wardrobe. But they do smell good for the very short period of time that they last, which is just a couple of minutes.
    Most people report that Gendarme.. the original... lasts *extremely* well. The problem with it is that you stop smelling it on yourself. You become anosmic to it. I suggest you ask someone during the day if they smell it.. surely they will ...and well into the evening. I have friends who wear Gendarme and really load it on too heavily because they have grown immune to it. This is a common problem all of us who wear scents must be aware of... for the sake of those around us.

Michael Storer, perfumer in Los Angeles
    designer of Monk, Djin and Il Giardino

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mastorer
    Most people report that Gendarme.. the original... lasts *extremely* well. The problem with it is that you stop smelling it on yourself. You become anosmic to it. I suggest you ask someone during the day if they smell it.. surely they will ...and well into the evening.
    I am aware of the olfactory habituation that sometimes occurs with fragrances, and I know that other people can often smell Gendarme on a person long after the person wearing Gendarme can no longer smell it himself.

I just have no interest in wearing a fragrance that I can no longer smell after a few minutes, even if I know that other folks can detect the fragrance on me many hours later.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rockford
    I am aware of the olfactory habituation that sometimes occurs with fragrances, and I know that other people can often smell Gendarme on a person long after the person wearing Gendarme can no longer smell it himself.
    I wonder it it is possible for a person to train himself so that the olfactory habituation phenomenon does not automatically occur, as it does with some fragrances such as Gendarme. And, if it is possible, then I wonder if it would be beneficial or not beneficial to do this.
    Last edited by Rockford; 16th July 2006 at 12:14 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I was on a green streak for a minute.I was looking for everything green.I heard this was very green. I have yet to run across it.I finally purchased Paul Smith.This pretty much did the trick for me.Im still eager to sample.

Post Thanks / Like

I boomeranged on Gendarme. It was actually bought for me by a GF: she walked into a store and asked for the cleanest and freshest cologne they had because she knew I was hunting for a new office fragrance. At first I wasn't a big fan even though the GF loved it. Perhaps because I was deeply stuck in a Fendi Theorema Uomo rut (don't laugh, it worked really well on my skin) at the time, I found the initial attack too "sharp", and felt it faded into nothingness quickly.

Then that GF dissapeared and Clean Men came out shortly after, and I used Clean Men exclusively as my office scent for a year. About six months ago, i figured i'd give Gendarme another shot...... and surprise surprise, I found myself liking it very much! And then I got two unsolicited compliments on it in that first return test week from carpool friends, so it's been entered back into the starting rotation for office/daywear (Clean Men, Gendarme, and Mugler Cologne). It's probably the most versatile of the three, as Clean Men for me is a "warmer weather only" thing, and Gendarme has slightly deeper notes in the drydown than Mugler, or at least my skin brings them out.

I think the real saving grace of Gendarme is that you can be almost completely sure that you're not going to offend anyone when wearing it. Sure, it doesn't 'make a statement' or take you on a nasal journey, but most people around you will find it pleasant, and the worst reaction it'll get is "that's inoffensive". Which, in my eyes, makes it perfect for the every day office scent repetoire.