Code of Conduct

Default Do you usually purchase small or large bottles?

I find that when I get a 50ml bottle, I finish it up rather quickly. My 100 ml bottles are safely stashed away and I don't use it as often. Do you buy 50 ml. or 100 ml when you buy a new fragrance? Just wondering.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Default Re: Do you usually purchase small or large bottles?

What do I DO? Or what do I TRY to do?

I TRY not to buy a bottle til I have gone through a decant. And I TRY not to buy a decant until I've gone through a sample.

Usually, I just grab anything that smells good, no matter how big it is.

That last part ONLY applies to colognes, by the way. Sorry, CoL...

I buy the smallest bottle available because i won't be able to finish even that amount, anytime soon. My collection is rather extensive, you see.

Big bottles offer a better deal. You'll get more for your money.

I usually buy a bigger bottle. I have more 3.4oz bottles than 1.7.

Plus, with a 100ml bottle, you wont feel guilty about using it. You'll never run out!!

I try to locate the smaler 1.7oz - 50ml bottles. Better for travel, takes up less room on the dresser, plus I buy 2nds that are in optimal storage conditions until they see rotation.
    Not as cost effective as buying the larger bottles, but the benefits are worth it to me.

I try to get a feel for how much I "trust" the fragrance. If I have any doubts about whether I'll like it in the long term, whether I may go off it quickly, I'll buy a small bottle. eg Dior Homme 50mL - I've actually 2/3 finished it in two months, so maybe I should have bought bigger!

If I think it's a classic, absolutely love it, or am buying a second bottle of something I've already used, I'll buy a larger bottle for economy reasons. eg Rive Gauche, Guerlain Vetiver, Dunhill Edition, Bvlgari PH

If I think it's going to be discontinued, I buy as many or as large a bottle as I can get. I've started to stockpile "backup" bottles of Rive Gauche, Edition, more to come...

If it's an irresisitible bargain, I just buy whatever size is on offer, even if I doubt how much i'll lie it. eg M7 100mL for A$35 even though I knew I'd only wear it occasionally, GIT 125mL A$85 blind purchase, never see it that cheap again. This also applies in duty free stores, when the big bottle is often only $10 more than the small one.

Ged

Said that, as Dr Bubba says, it's better to test and retest a fragrance before buying a full bottle (and indeed I do so), I completely agree with EnvYuS. The greater is the bottle, the better is the deal. For sure I won't buy stuff that for me is mmm... so and so. My policy is to buy not too many bottles, but or the ones that's worth, I go BIG. And about travelling, well, There are always teh good ol' spray decants. I only buy 30ml or 50 ml bottles that are good deals, discounted etc. After all for stuff that's not worth a full bottle you can always find free samples etc...

I put a lot emphasis on thoroughly testing all of my fragrances with samples and decants before I commit to buying a bottle. I try to not buy a bottle until I am positive that I want that fragrance in my life on a permanent basis. I have much fewer bottles in my wardrobe than many other Basenoters, but each bottle is an absolute gem that works perfectly on my skin. Because of the thorough testing that I do, and because I am sure that the fragrance will be in my life for many years, I am very comfortable purchasing large bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    Big bottles offer a better deal. You'll get more for your money.

I usually buy a bigger bottle. I have more 3.4oz bottles than 1.7.

Plus, with a 100ml bottle, you wont feel guilty about using it. You'll never run out!!
    Same here!

One would think that with a quite, ahem, biggish wardrobe it would be more sensible to buy smaller bottles. But with small bottles I'm always afraid of running out and never use the scent in question, so big bottles it is!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

NI.deally I'd like to see more smaller bottles for sale. E.g. a 3*15 ml set is great for me since the bottle is easy to take along and I just might finish one before the fragrance ages too much.

I have been buying bigger because they offer more value for money but nowadays try to find max 50 ml bottles.

A 150 ml bottle of vanille mokha would be too much but it seems it will be my biggest bottle soon.

My dream is that every fragrance was available in small bottles, 15-25 ml, that way I could afford to buy more different frags. I still have a hard time resisting blind buys, and buying new stuff without having tested it out properly...
    I also don`t like the thought that a scent maybe have gone bad, because I kept the bottle too long.

For some reason I tend to by the larger bottles. For just a few dollars more in a lot of cases, why not?

When I had just a few bottles (time pre-basenotes), I used to buy 100ml ones. Nowadays, I prefer the 50ml bottles. I realized I would never finish a bottle if I kept buying only the bigger ones!
    I don't buy 30ml: I feel affraid of running out of it too quickly!

I like 30ml atomisers like the Jo Malone ones. They're easy to carry to work with me.