Code of Conduct

Default Histoires de Parfums

Does somebody own something from Histoires de Parfums?

Thank you all for possible comments!

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums

Hi, I like the following fragrances from this house:

1828 (Jules Verne) - starts with peppermint, eucalyptus, a blend of spices in the middle and an amber-musk base. Green yet warm, very longlasting. The green notes stay there all the time, even when the amber comes out in the end. Can be cloying and a bit loud if overapplied! All in all a wearable yet unique fragrance.
    1725 (Casanova) - starts with some citrus notes, has some rosemary in the middle, but the basenote develops very quickly: musk, anise, woods. Very soft and calming, stays closer to my skin than 1828, but is also lasting very long. Slightly sweet, but not too much. Very suitable for any occasion.
    1969 (Parfum de Revolte) - the latest scent of the line. Cardamom, carnation, patchouli, white musk. The most sensual of the men's HdP and perfect for evenings. Very smooth and soft, long-lasting, but not cloying and not too sweet. My favourite of the line. It's a slightly boozy fragrance, like Le Dandy, but without tobacco notes, not as heavy and more modern.

I also tried 1740 (de Sade), a sweet leather fragrance, and Noir Patchouli, but both didn't work with me - too strong and sweet.

Excellently composed fragrances, but they're quite expensive and you should (like always) try them before you buy.

I am a very big fan of the 1828....Very classy scent.
    Gary

Any place in North America that carries this line???? Online???

A friendly local perfume shop used to sell this, back when the only men's scent was 1828. The shop owner said the distributor is in Florida, I think. My bottle has histoiresdeparfum.com on the bottom sticker. Maybe that can help.

I'd like to try everything Gerald mentions, myself.
    --Chris
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums Marquis de Sade

Marquis de Sade is a wonderful example of being a unisex fragrance that I would say takes a man's nose to appreciate. For women, it's kind of a simplistic dried fruit over basenote composition, almost gourmand. However for a man who craves depth to his fragrances, this one is amazing. It's billed by most reviewers as a strong "leather" scent. I detect only the labdanum/patchouli theme that is broadly referred to as "leather" in perfumers' parliance, but his is tobacco, folks. Exquisitely framed absolute of cured tobacco leaf.
    I would say in its own way it rivals Creed Tabarome Private Label, which takes an oakmoss/musk spin on the same subject.

My only criticism of this wonderful scent, and it is a minor one, is that it evolves into a slight powderiness, which I don't like, perhaps from some amber used in the composition. This powdery quality, which follows its boozy fruity opening, are what allow it to remain truly unisex. I can't see wearing this scent in summer or spring, but for winter? Oh-la-la!

They were running a promo for this line earlier this year. I am not sure if the promo is still on.

https://www.shopmiomia.com/skin-care.asp?cat=3

I agree that 1828 could be cloying if over-applied... and that would be easy to do given its zippy green top notes. That ambery beast lurks and eventually starts roaming around. I was drawn to 1828 by the promise of excellent woods and am underwhelmed by the woods which are brief and mild. I think the patchouli/amber has an odd coconut quality.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

I have the 'Amber' and 'Original' eau de colognes. They're great for warm weather and last a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by odysseusm View Post
    I agree that 1828 could be cloying if over-applied... and that would be easy to do given its zippy green top notes. That ambery beast lurks and eventually starts roaming around. I was drawn to 1828 by the promise of excellent woods and am underwhelmed by the woods which are brief and mild. I think the patchouli/amber has an odd coconut quality.
    I have 1828 Jules Verne and Casanova (17??) and find both of them excessively cloying, even on the slightest application. My skin can't handle those basenotes at all.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    I have 1828 Jules Verne and Casanova (17??) and find both of them excessively cloying, even on the slightest application. My skin can't handle those basenotes at all.

I've only sampled the 1828 Jules Verne and found the same thing and this was from a small sample vial.
    I rarely get this effect unless I extremely over apply and this was not the case here. ???

I tried the latest fragrance of this line recently, Ambre 114. One of the best Amber scents I've ever smelled. A classic amber with a sweet undertone, but very soft, distinguished and masterfully composed. Like 1969, a potent yet calming fragrance. A must-try for all amber lovers.

I have tried several and only like the 1740 De Sade. I like it because it is the most extreme of them, they are all thick and heavy, but this one really is over the top. I wear it on the rare occasion that I want something over-the-top thick and heavy and this fits the bill better than the rest.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
    I tried the latest fragrance of this line recently, Ambre 114. One of the best Amber scents I've ever smelled. A classic amber with a sweet undertone, but very soft, distinguished and masterfully composed. Like 1969, a potent yet calming fragrance. A must-try for all amber lovers.
    I also tried this recently and I have to agree that this is a must try for any one who loves ambers. Ambre 114 is a very classy, very wearable amber scent that has my nose glued to my wrist.
    Last edited by surreality; 27th August 2008 at 03:41 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I am impressed with the line in general.

I think it deserves more attention on Basenotes than it gets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post
    They were running a promo for this line earlier this year. I am not sure if the promo is still on.

i walked RIGHT PAST that shop on sunday...i thought it was a beauty salon! guess i was mistaken. lol. will have to go back and check these scents out there...

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Gerald View Post

I also tried 1740 (de Sade), a sweet leather fragrance, and Noir Patchouli, but both didn't work with me - too strong and sweet.
    These are the two I have tried and think are absolutely fantastic!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I tried 1740 the other day and thought that it was great. It had a sweetness and complexity to it that makes it a very "Lutens-esque" fragrance.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

By the way, this thread of the same name was active a couple of weeks ago.
    http://community.basenotes.net/showt...hlight=de+sade
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 21st September 2008 at 07:27 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

One of my favorite houses. Each scent is rich and well composed. They are try before you buy fragrances though as they are certainly unique.

1740, Marquis De Sade, takes some getting used to but if it works for you it is beguiling. My pick of the line actually along with Casonova.

Cheers,
    Al

I tried 1826 today so here are my thoughts about this fragrance.

The opening of 1826 is a sweetened Bergamot which after the first few seconds is joined by patchouli. There is a nice spiciness to the heart notes that tames the florals and patchouli but that is so well integrated into the fragrance that it doesn't smell spicy. The amber and incense start poking through at about 20 minutes but like the spices in the heart notes these notes are integrated to work with the other notes to give them depth and character. After about 2 hours is when I get the most amber, a slightly dirty amber that doesn't seem too vanillic or sweet. On my skin it fades from existence after about 4 or 5 hours leaving only the slightest hint of perfume on the skin. This sticks fairly close to the skin and has very little sillage. I think this is more unisex in character than feminine as and such is worth checking out if you are into patchouli or amber frags.

tried 1740 today from a sample...the leather in it reminded me quite a bit of the one used in Ambre Russe...ill pass on 1740 and go for Ambre Russe anyday.it's much more fuller and mesmerising...

I received four samples from the fine folks at Miomia, so far I've only tried 1828 Jules Verne, and immediately fell in love with it. I found it to be very classic smelling, almost old fashioned, yet not stuffy at all. I regret not picking up a bottle in the old packaging while they were clearing them out for $85.

I took advantage of the samples offered by miomia, and was most impressed with the 1725 Cassanova. I'm ok with de Sade. Jules Verne was just too much for me. I felt like it needed to evolve a bit more - maybe mellow a bit. Haven't tried the Noir Patchouli yet.

I ordered the old bottle of Cassanova last week from miomia - a bargain at half the current price for new 4 oz package. And I would never have tried any of it if it weren't for the miomia sample offer to Basenoters!

Quote Originally Posted by lsp_NY View Post

Ordered some weeks ago the 1825 bottle, by sending an email as, living in Belgium, I couldnt order it from the site... It was the owner herself who mailed me back and took my order and guided me with the pay pal system...

A week later, the bottle arrived !

Very nice woman, extremely reliable !!!