Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • I call it cologne because of convention

6 20.00%
  • I call it cologne because it sounds more masculine

6 20.00%
  • I call it perfume because it is an umbrella term for EDT, EDP and EDC

11 36.67%
  • I call it perfume because to me there is no distinction between male and female fragrance

7 23.33%

Default Perfume or cologne?

What do you prefer to name 'Male fragrance'? Perfume or cologne?
    Does perfume sound girly? Does cologne sound more manly? Almost every single time I say perfume, someone tries to correct me and say it's cologne. Your view?

Default Re: Perfume or cologne?

When i think of cologne, i allways think of something that you can splash on. So i just say perfume, because i think it as something you can spray. Dont know why, just do

Argh! I forgot the whole splash vs. spray thing :/

I found myself calling all fragrances perfumes. I just think it is easier.

Sometimes guys don't understand why I am asking if I use the term perfume. They want to hear cologne, so I switch it. I will use perfume usually though.

Recently, I have been thinking that I want to use the word 'cologne' as a generic term for any man's fragrance, regardless whether the fragrance is an EDC, EDT, EDP, or Perfume.

I remember my father telling me, when I was a child, not to call men's perfumes perfumes but colognes instead, because perfumes was a term intended only for women's scents... Anyhow, I never stopped calling perfumes perfumes.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe

I basically have always used 'perfume' or 'fragance', simply because we don't have a word like 'cologne' here.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

I prefer to call them either fragrances or perfumes in general, and if referring to a specific item, then it'd be EDT, EDP and so forth.

If it's EDT, I call it EDT. If it's EDP, I call it EDP. If it's an extract, I call it perfume. I use "cologne" for eau de cologne only.

I call men's scents colognes in real life because it is easier for distinction, but when posting here I use the term fragrance to avoid confusion.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Wink Re: Perfume or cologne?

i call everything cologne, i guess perfume just sounds feminine

cologne is a lot of things in america and it probably includes edt edp etcccc...

laurent
    Invisible Power

It's always been just "cologne" to me when it comes to men's fragrances unless I call it a "fragrance" .

Dan
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Somedude
    What do you prefer to name 'Male fragrance'? Perfume or cologne?
    I prefer to name "male fragrance" pretty much just that....I call it "men's fragrance" or just "fragrance." Not all men's fragrance is cologne or perfume so I think it's best to just be more general.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois