Code of Conduct

Wink Question for you men!Nail hardener for men?

Hey guys!Is there a nail hardener or treatment for mens nails but MATTE ..non shiny etc..??Thanks!

Default Re: Question for you men!Nail hardener for men?

Welcome to Basenotes Carlita! Although less frequented, there are Cosmetics & Beauty board and Men's Grooming board under the Off Topic discussion of this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by carlita
    Hey guys!Is there a nail hardener or treatment for mens nails but MATTE ..non shiny etc..??Thanks!
    Hola Carlita,
    I'm a flamenco guitarist, so I take care of my right-hand nails, much as I dislike doing so. You wouldn't be shopping for someone like that, would you?

Actually the main problem I had was not the shine, but trying to find stuff with no formaldehyde or toluene, known carcinogens. That's tricky. I had a couple Nutranail products that complied!

I don't really know brands with no shine, but I have a suggestion - after applying the stuff, you can simply go over each nail really quick with the finest grade sandpaper or steel wool, both available at any good hardware store. There's a combination male-female solution for you.

I know there are products out there that claim to have no shine, but I haven't tried any myself.

But ultimately I quit using hardener - now I just put moisturizing lotion on my nails for a minute before going to bed, and I only need to do that in the winter.

Thumbs up Re: Question for you men!Nail hardener for men?

Thanks to you both!

Actually it is for a musiciam/composer who does play guitar etc..He wants something with no shine.To be honest I doubt he can be bothered to do the sandpaper bit..Well I will look into it!Thanks!

Default Killing the shine

If you press the tip of your finger/thumb into the nail polish at the point that the surface is no longer sticky but the polish is still soft, the resulting texturising will soften the shine, often considerably.
    Just press, don't squish it around.

Doing a quick bit of digging:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=31816

http://www.folica.com/Orly_Nails_for__d517.html

OPI and Orly both seem to have products in the realm you are looking for.

Exclamation Re: Question for you men!Nail hardener for men?

I have the problem of rubbery nails that crack & split & I've used OPI "Matte NAIL ENVY" & that has a good matte finish to it. But i found it wasn't strong enough for me. I found NAIL TEK ll intensive therapy nail hardener & it works great, but its got shine to it though. You could use the NAIL TECH first & then put the NAIL ENVY on as a top coat to stop the shine. This should work nice for you. I"ve used it for years.

The Nail Tek is better than the OPI but I think it has formaldehyde in it. Buffing is supposed to make nails stronger. I would not recommend the sand paper! You can buy buffer systems at any drug store. They are a block with four different grades of emery board. My son plays guitar and he carries one around with him. Good luck. Try calling a nail shop and see if they can recommend a professional product. Otherwise, I would go with the Nail Tek.