Code of Conduct

Default Lots of questions from a newbie

I'm very new to all of this (17 and I've never used anything but deodorant and sometimes aftershave) so I've got a decent amount of questions. These were mostly taken from the FAQ in the men's section, but the links in the faq don't work anymore-- that's why I'm posting here.

What is the benefit of decanting/Why buy decants?

How do I use samples/How should I use cologne in general?

How do I train my nose?

Do you have any tips about making fragrances last longer?

What's all of this:
    Q) Is Eau de Toilette stronger than Cologne?

A) Technically, yes. Here is a basic list of fragrance concentrations from strongest to weakest:
    Parfum > Eau de Parfum > Eau de Toilette > Eau de Cologne > Aftershave
    There are other concentrations, but those are the most common.

This seems like a very nice community and I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this site. Thanks for your help.

Why So Serious?
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Lots of questions from a newbie

This is a good way when you want to test out a fragrance, instead of buying a full bottle blind with the high cost, buy a decant instead, mostly comes in 1/6oz, 1/4oz, and 1/3oz. This way you'll know if it's bottle worthy, and it cost less. Another benefit is most people here have large collections, so we'd never finish any bottle, a decant will last us very well, so to avoid larger bottles in a large collection, decants are practical and economical, also in a practical sense that they are easy to travel with, just put in your pocket and you're good to go.

you dab on samples that are not sprays. Most sample vials comes with a cap that has a stick extension, so you can just rub it onto your wrist to test how it is. You spray cologne on your pulse points, like your wrists, bottom of the throat, your chest, behind the ears where the body heat from these areas are intensified, thus intensifies a fragrance. Most importantly, use cologne for self enjoyment! And spray with a light trigger!

How do I train my nose?
    This is probably the hardest and the most time-consuming part. Training a nose requires lots of patience and of course fragrances. Your nose gets better when your collection gets bigger and bigger. But a good start is to pick out individual notes that you are familiar with in a fragrance, then pick them out from other fragrances, see if there are any different interpretations, try to compare fragrances with similar notes as often as possible, and then determine whether they belong to the citrus family, oriental family and such. Try to explore as many different families as possible. But i'm sure after you join Basenotes your collection will be on the increase, eventually your wardrobe will be diversified. Of course these take lots of time.

wear fragrance in layers, meaning use the shower product and shaving product that comes with the fragrance, that's why fragrances come in gift sets quite often, look out for them. You can also use unscented body oils, not sure where you get these, but this current thread might help http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=184326.

What's all of this:

A) Technically, yes. Here is a basic list of fragrance concentrations from strongest to weakest:
    Parfum > Eau de Parfum > Eau de Toilette > Eau de Cologne > Aftershave
    There are other concentrations, but those are the most common.

A fragrance comes in different strength, Pure Parfum last the longest and the most expensive, Eau de Parfums comes next in lasting power and price, then Eau de Toilette, Eau de Cologne, and aftershave. Most men's fragrances come in Eau de Toilette, and women's in Eau de Parfum.
    The Pure Parfum is probably in highly concentrated oil form. I hope someone else more experienced can elaborate on it.

Welcome to the community!
    Last edited by HackerX; 18th July 2006 at 05:08 AM.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Creed Spice & Wood
    5. Bond 9 Harrods Oud

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=184360

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=184166

How do I train my nose?

Practice makes perfect!

Top notes = those immediately noticed upon application

Middle notes = that appear soon after the initial top notes fade away

Base notes = the final scent left after the middle notes dissappear.

Some, such a Bulgari Black, claim to be linear, not changing from beginning to end - see its directory listing: (http://www.basenotes.net/ID26120268.html)

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=184326

What's all of this:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=184397

Hi lex89, welcome aboard!

Quote Originally Posted by lex89
    About samples, it's easy! Some are "splash", some other come with a spray atomizer, so you can spray 'em. About cologne in general, well, it's all up to your fun!

Quote Originally Posted by lex89
    How do I train my nose?
    Simple, with patience and curiosity!

For other questions you already received pretty good answers in the previous posts... And really good links indeed!