Code of Conduct

Default Cartier Santos vs. Santos Concentree

I tested Cartier Santos and Santos Concentree yesterday, one on each wrist, and really liked them both, but found them very similar. Any opinions on the differences and which you like better?

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

Default Re: Cartier Santos vs. Santos Concentree

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    I tested Cartier Santos and Santos Concentree yesterday, one on each wrist, and really liked them both, but found them very similar. Any opinions on the differences and which you like better?

--Steve
    I prefer the Concentree because it's stronger and has more sillage.

I haven't tried concentrée but the original is -at least to me- already very potent, both in terms of sillage and lasting power. It's the same story as Rive Gauche, where the original is already near perfect and doens't need an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul
    I haven't tried concentrée but the original is -at least to me- already very potent, both in terms of sillage and lasting power. It's the same story as Rive Gauche, where the original is already near perfect and doens't need an upgrade.
    Thanks Milamber and apekrul.

Tested head to head, I did not find a significant difference and found the projection and lasting power to be very comparable. I found the fragrances themselves to be only subtly different. I was wondering if others with more experience with both found any really dramatic differences.

--Steve

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

I agree with apekrul. THe original does not lack any strength, staying power or sillage!

Quote Originally Posted by pesurf
    I agree with apekrul. THe original does not lack any strength, staying power or sillage!
    Yes of course, the original has more than sufficient strength , longevity and sillage. But in comparison to the Concentree, i find the Concentree to have more depth and body. It is smokier than the original which is probably what contributes to the sense of depth.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Yes of course, the original has more than sufficient strength , longevity and sillage. But in comparison to the Concentree, i find the Concentree to have more depth and body. It is smokier than the original which is probably what contributes to the sense of depth.

The Concentree is one of my top ten. I've only tried the original once, but in head to head, I eliminated it and choose the Concentree. I agree with Milamber--the Concentree has more depth and substance from what I remember of the original.

The Concentree lasts longer and is less sweet...it's my favorite out of the two.

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

I think Cartier Santos Concentree is preferable, because it lasts much longer.

Damn! I was hoping that you guys would convince me that the difference is negligible, since the regular Santos is much more readily available at a deep discount.

In my tests so far, I don't notice a big difference in sillage or longevity, but the smokier quality of the concentree that Milamber mentioned is noticeable (I love smoky notes) and I am beginning to feel I will regret it if I "settle" for the regular.

--Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SmellsLike
    Damn! I was hoping that you guys would convince me that the difference is negligible, since the regular Santos is much more readily available at a deep discount.

In my tests so far, I don't notice a big difference in sillage or longevity, but the smokier quality of the concentree that Milamber mentioned is noticeable (I love smoky notes) and I am beginning to feel I will regret it if I "settle" for the regular.

--Steve
    Yes, you will regret it. This concentree version knocked the MPG Eau des illes out from my collection.

Yes, you will regret it. This concentree version knocked the MPG Eau des illes out from my collection.
    Hmm..interesting. I've never tried the MPG, but it's gotten such rave reviews!

KO
    Are you not entertained??? Is this not why you are here??

Hmm, I guess I'm going to head out this afternoon to test the Concentrée

I own the concentree version, but I have never tried the regular. I`m very cuorious about it, and I`ll be happy to hear more opinions. Do you think they are so different that it`s worth owning both? I agreed that the opening of Santos concentree can be brutal to the nose, but the dry down is elegant, luxurious, and very masculine. Is the regular version more weak and "soft"?

AromiErotici

I've owned both and only keep the original now. The Concentree is very good, but the original just suits me a little better. I find nothing wrong with the sillage or longevity of Santos in either concentration.

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    I've owned both and only keep the original now. The Concentree is very good, but the original just suits me a little better. I find nothing wrong with the sillage or longevity of Santos in either concentration.
    -so what do you think is the main differences?

I prefer the Concentree, but I like both.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    -so what do you think is the main differences?
    If I recall correctly, the heart accord in the concentree version is superior. The Concentree wears heavier and that's the reason I chose the original version. It was heavy enough for me.

Other than that, they are the same fragrance IMO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    If I recall correctly, the heart accord in the concentree version is superior. The Concentree wears heavier and that's the reason I chose the original version. It was heavy enough for me.

Other than that, they are the same fragrance IMO.
    Good description. I waffled horribly before making the buy (original), and then actually turned around in the mall, went back, and traded up to the concentree. They are that close!

I felt like the original is better for pleasing others, and has a really nice scent that lasts a long time. The concentree has this amazing magic moment in the heart - as rich and moist as freshly ground coffee - that is just a stunner. But it doesn't last, and ends up feeling kind of disheveled afterwards. The original seems to maintain composure longer, at a more subtle level.

I have the Concentree and a sample of Santos. They are very close but the Concentree is deeper and darker. Incidentally the sprayer is a beast too

Quote Originally Posted by apekrul View Post
    ditto
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

Unfortunately, original lasts only 2hrs on me with decent projetion.
    Concentree is 12+hrs with perfect projection.

No big difference in scents, though.

Santos Concentree has been one of my top 5 frags for years. Just wonderful!

I don't if you have already made your purchase or not. I am going through the same cologne crisis here. I bought SC and believe me I almost got multiple restraining orders. SC is so bad. If you have to go with any between the two, please choose Santos. However, If you want to choose any of Cartier's collection go with either Pasha or Must de Cartier pour Homme. I would stay away from all Cartier's but it was a gift and Macy's only carry Cartier's cologne in $100s. I wish I could register for my birthday gifts in Nordstrom.

Santos current formulation is easy to wear but concentree i dont think so. But i still do like the woody-spice kick of SC. Santos is smooth but SC is not.

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    Santos current formulation is easy to wear but concentree i dont think so. But i still do like the woody-spice kick of SC. Santos is smooth but SC is not.
    -Strange.. My experience is the other way round! As soon as the top notes of the concentree settles down, it`s (IMO) more smooth and easy to wear compared with the regular. The regular is more pungent sharp, and not at all so elegant as the concentree version.

Am I the only one who mostly get a herby dusty powder smell from Santos Edt regular version ?

I love all the other masculine frags like Antaeus & Havana but Santos makes me gag a bit from the herbs and baby powder.

I really try to like it
    I get 8-10 hours longevity from Santos EDT regular btw
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

smeller

Quote Originally Posted by Paninaro View Post
    Unfortunately, original lasts only 2hrs on me with decent projetion.
    Concentree is 12+hrs with perfect projection.

No big difference in scents, though.
    On me:

regular Santos = lasts more than 12h, with good projection.

concentrée = lasts way more than 24h, with lousy projection.

I can't figure this paradox of very high longevity plus very little projection from the Concentrée.

I don't like the Concentrée and quite enjoy the regular.

to my nose regular is quite similar do Antaeus minus the soir smell.

to my nose regular is quite similar do Antaeus minus the soir smell.
    I must have bought a fake then.

Antaeus i enjoy highly. Santos regular EDT gives me 8-10 hours solid longevity, Antaeus 12-14 hours - but that's it.

They don't smell anywhere close to my nose. Antaeus reminds me of a combi of Van Cleef & Arpel ph and Aramis Havana.

Santos Regular EDT reminds me of a combo of Aramis Pour Homme, Lagerfeld Classic and Bvlgari Blv Homme (the soapy powder herb note)

Do I have a fake Santos ?

I paid $54 for the 100 ml at Beauty Encounter - and all other bottles from them have been legit, but I don't get anything even close to Antaeus in my Santos, not close ?!?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I must have bought a fake then.

Antaeus i enjoy highly. Santos regular EDT gives me 8-10 hours solid longevity, Antaeus 12-14 hours - but that's it.

They don't smell anywhere close to my nose. Antaeus reminds me of a combi of Van Cleef & Arpel ph and Aramis Havana.

Santos Regular EDT reminds me of a combo of Aramis Pour Homme, Lagerfeld Classic and Bvlgari Blv Homme (the soapy powder herb note)

Do I have a fake Santos ?

I paid $54 for the 100 ml at Beauty Encounter - and all other bottles from them have been legit, but I don't get anything even close to Antaeus in my Santos, not close ?!?
    I read some basenote members that told about recent reformulation and water down of santos. I got one at the store and did a "head to head" comparison antaeus versus santos at that time, one in right wrist and other in the left wrist. Santos disappointed me just because of longevity, it lasted just few hours. I think some fonds of santos are a bit disappointed now, but i kind like it. It´s spicy dries down after an hour to a powder smell that doesn´t "offend" as concentree. But weirdly, now i only have concentree... and enjoy it too, but has nothing to do with that "new" santos... (They say concentree is now more like old santos, so maybe you have one before that reformulation)

I read some basenote members that told about recent reformulation and water down of santos. I got one at the store and did a "head to head" comparison antaeus versus santos at that time, one in right wrist and other in the left wrist. Santos disappointed me just because of longevity, it lasted just few hours. I think some fonds of santos are a bit disappointed now, but i kind like it. It´s spicy dries down after an hour to a powder smell that doesn´t "offend" as concentree. But weirdly, now i only have concentree... and enjoy it too, but has nothing to do with that "new" santos... (They say concentree is now more like old santos, so maybe you have one before that reformulation)
    So what you say is that I in fact should appreciate the powdery herby smell in my Santos, since it might be an old bottle before the reformulation

I just tried it the last 2 days, and it sort of grows a bit on me now - i still dislike the opening, which I find very powdery, as said almost like Bvlgari BLV POur Homme. But as long as I don't overspray it, it kind of smells pretty nice as long as I don't spray it above my chest, because to me this frag is pretty strong in the opening causing it to feel a bit cloying to me......

I even tried to blend it with Lagerfeld Classic and it smelt very nice.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Can someone confirm that the Concentree version is now discontinued? It's very hard to find..

I was told about 8 months ago that it was going to be discontinued but it appears as though that's not (yet?) the case. Easily found at Bloomingdale's (that's about a month ago, when I bought a just-in-case backup bottle), Saks, even on the Cartier website and, of course, there's plenty of it on ebay.

Its not discontinued but its nothing compared to what it was. The IFRA rules have totally ruined this fragrance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    I was told about 8 months ago that it was going to be discontinued but it appears as though that's not (yet?) the case. Easily found at Bloomingdale's (that's about a month ago, when I bought a just-in-case backup bottle), Saks, even on the Cartier website and, of course, there's plenty of it on ebay.
    Even Harrods London that is supposed to have "everything" , didn't have it. I saw that Fragrancenet still have it, but only the old style bottle.