Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Cartier Santos vs. Santos Concentree

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    I must have bought a fake then.

Antaeus i enjoy highly. Santos regular EDT gives me 8-10 hours solid longevity, Antaeus 12-14 hours - but that's it.

They don't smell anywhere close to my nose. Antaeus reminds me of a combi of Van Cleef & Arpel ph and Aramis Havana.

Santos Regular EDT reminds me of a combo of Aramis Pour Homme, Lagerfeld Classic and Bvlgari Blv Homme (the soapy powder herb note)

Do I have a fake Santos ?

I paid $54 for the 100 ml at Beauty Encounter - and all other bottles from them have been legit, but I don't get anything even close to Antaeus in my Santos, not close ?!?
    I read some basenote members that told about recent reformulation and water down of santos. I got one at the store and did a "head to head" comparison antaeus versus santos at that time, one in right wrist and other in the left wrist. Santos disappointed me just because of longevity, it lasted just few hours. I think some fonds of santos are a bit disappointed now, but i kind like it. It´s spicy dries down after an hour to a powder smell that doesn´t "offend" as concentree. But weirdly, now i only have concentree... and enjoy it too, but has nothing to do with that "new" santos... (They say concentree is now more like old santos, so maybe you have one before that reformulation)

Quote Originally Posted by voidvader View Post
    I read some basenote members that told about recent reformulation and water down of santos. I got one at the store and did a "head to head" comparison antaeus versus santos at that time, one in right wrist and other in the left wrist. Santos disappointed me just because of longevity, it lasted just few hours. I think some fonds of santos are a bit disappointed now, but i kind like it. It´s spicy dries down after an hour to a powder smell that doesn´t "offend" as concentree. But weirdly, now i only have concentree... and enjoy it too, but has nothing to do with that "new" santos... (They say concentree is now more like old santos, so maybe you have one before that reformulation)
    So what you say is that I in fact should appreciate the powdery herby smell in my Santos, since it might be an old bottle before the reformulation

I just tried it the last 2 days, and it sort of grows a bit on me now - i still dislike the opening, which I find very powdery, as said almost like Bvlgari BLV POur Homme. But as long as I don't overspray it, it kind of smells pretty nice as long as I don't spray it above my chest, because to me this frag is pretty strong in the opening causing it to feel a bit cloying to me......

I even tried to blend it with Lagerfeld Classic and it smelt very nice.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Can someone confirm that the Concentree version is now discontinued? It's very hard to find..

I was told about 8 months ago that it was going to be discontinued but it appears as though that's not (yet?) the case. Easily found at Bloomingdale's (that's about a month ago, when I bought a just-in-case backup bottle), Saks, even on the Cartier website and, of course, there's plenty of it on ebay.

Its not discontinued but its nothing compared to what it was. The IFRA rules have totally ruined this fragrance IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    I was told about 8 months ago that it was going to be discontinued but it appears as though that's not (yet?) the case. Easily found at Bloomingdale's (that's about a month ago, when I bought a just-in-case backup bottle), Saks, even on the Cartier website and, of course, there's plenty of it on ebay.
    Even Harrods London that is supposed to have "everything" , didn't have it. I saw that Fragrancenet still have it, but only the old style bottle.

I wore Concentree for the first time today and am very impressed. I scored a new bottle for $30 on ebay, and the longevity is very good (winding down @ about 9 hours).

Leather isnt mentioned in the notes, but I do get an impression of it. A fantastic oriental.

Which part of Santos Concentree do you like best? The opening, or the dry down?

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Which part of Santos Concentree do you like best? The opening, or the dry down?
    For me, the dry down.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    For me, the dry down.
    Hednic; Which one do you prefer : Santos Concentree, or Oscar de la Renta pour lui?

I was just reading this thread before purchasing my Santos de Cartier and Santos Concentree last week. The opening of Concentree is very harsh, but the drydown is gorgeous. It reminds me quite a bit of Bel Ami and Puredistance M with it's spicy, dry woodsiness.

943890_10201062009508932_323407665372843511_n.jpg
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    I was just reading this thread before purchasing my Santos de Cartier and Santos Concentree last week. The opening of Concentree is very harsh, but the drydown is gorgeous. It reminds me quite a bit of Bel Ami and Puredistance M with it's spicy, dry woodsiness.

943890_10201062009508932_323407665372843511_n.jpg
    And which one do you prefer? Regular or Concentree?

And which one do you prefer? Regular or Concentree?
    Concentree for sure.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Hednic; Which one do you prefer : Santos Concentree, or Oscar de la Renta pour lui?
    Santos Concentree would be my preferred of the two.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Are there any differences in longevity and projection between them?

Are there any differences in longevity and projection between them?
    I have only noticed slight differences with the Concentree lasting a bit longer.

I own the original vintage edt in the brown glass bottle which smells way better than last 3 (or even 4?!) reformulations of the edt.
    Stuff is pretty strong and lasts easily 8+ hrs with good projection.
    Never smelled the concentree version in either formulation though.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Paco Rabanne pour homme (vtg)
    - Armani: Acqua di Gio Profumo
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Ferrari: Essence Oud Edp
    - Dior: Fahrenheit (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraîcheur)
    - Mancera: Cedrat Boise
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Knize Ten

I've owned both versions and prefer the Concentree.
    But I've never tried vintage versions. I can only imagine how much better they must have been.

I agree with the poster who compared the dry down of Santos Concentree to Bel Ami in terms of it's spiciness and dryness. It's an outstanding fragrance IMO, and not dated at all. You can find the current version at very cheap prices online right now. Would love to get my hands on vintage versions of both of these

Concentree by a wide margin. The notes are sharper and fuller.

My review of Santos Concentree:

The notes listed here are way off; consult the pyramid for the original instead. There is a very strong clove and leather note here that is not mentioned. It immediately recalls Jacomo de Jacomo in its intensity; its almost rubbery (how Jacomo almost smells like the rubber interlocking floor tiles gyms line their floors with). It is one of the rare fully masculine orientals; there is pretty much nothing in the way of sweetness here. Creamy vanilla lies in the middle, and perhaps some coconut somewhere in the back. If amber is around, it is only to soften the edges of the otherwise piercing aromatics; it is not discernible on its own.

Santos Concentree is so imminently enjoyable because it retains the powerhouse green aromatics you would normally see in stronger fougeres and chypres, but dumps a load of spice on them and takes the tone through a decidedly darker turn. The opening is a piercing blast of resinous woods and aromatic herbs: juniper, rosemary, and cedar, all accompanying a powerhouse clove note. If you have ever had the pleasure of actually eating a juniper berry from the plant itself, you know that it carries with it a light, grainy sweetness (not unlike that of a blueberry). Coupled with just a few, lightly applied sweet elements (coconut and vanilla), the entire composition has its edges smoothed out, but never glazed. Basil, geranium, and verbena add some juice to the green, and vetiver and patchouli contribute to the brown, "earthy" feel of the clove-studded leather.

The middle is dominated by clove and leather, the two loudest elements in this fragrance. Everything else plays a supporting role, to soften the leather, round out the cloves, and make it all just a little creamier. Towards the drydown, coconut and vanilla get turned up a little bit, but are still largely an echo in the face of the powerhouse aromatics.

This, more than so many others, really feels like a "black" fragrance. It is high class; the immediate mental image is of an impeccably dressed, well heeled man of experience and confidence. There are elements of the 80s macho legends here, but whereas most of those have fallen to the wayside, sandbagged by their musks, animalics, and off-putting notes, Santos has shrugged off the years like they were nothing. Probably not suitable for the high school crowd, but this would be a fantastic choice for an adult man (mid 20s) ready for a unique formal fragrance or a signature to make his own. This will easily hang with 1 million and all the other syrupy garbage clubland wears today.

Perhaps not suitable on the hottest/most humid of days, Santos can easily be worn in all other situations. It is definitely on the stronger side; 3 sprays carried me 12 hours with moderate to heavy projection. In closer quarters or more reserved environments, 1 or 2 sprays would be enough.

An excellent value and highly recommended.
    I can provide decants of anything I post about!

Thanks. It sounds great.

And I'm to take it that this is for the current version of concentree?

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Thanks. It sounds great.

And I'm to take it that this is for the current version of concentree?
    It is! Cheaply had on the grey market
    I can provide decants of anything I post about!