Code of Conduct

Default How to describe what I'm looking for?

How do you best describe to someone what fragrance you are looking for?

Default Re: How to describe what I'm looking for?

Start with basic characteristics of the scent. Sweet, Clean, Spicy, Dry, Woody. Those are very easy to disiguish and will cancel out a lot of possibilities.

You can go even further to name some of the notes in the scent but that is sometimes hard to learn when you don't eve know the name of the fragrance.

Try to come up with a designers name or a house that it came from. This will narrow it down to just a group. With a quality like fresh and the designers name you can come up with the fragrance quite easily.

ghetu-

First thing to remember is to identify the fragrance family you like. There are the 1.) Fresh Notes ( Citrus, Green, Water ) ,2.) Floral Notes ( Fresh Cut Flower, Powdery Notes, Orange Blossom ) 3.) Oriental Notes, ( Soft Orientals, Woody Orientals,) and 4.) Woody Notes ( Woods, Mossy Woods, Dry Woods ). By using this fragrance wheel and identifying the fragrance family you're more drawn to will help narrow down your choices. Go out and smell scents.. go to Sephora, they have a fragrance wheel chart for you to take home with names of fragrances/companies on each 'fragrance family'. Enjoy your exploration-!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Hi ghetu,
    you already received good suggestion, so I'm giving you just my 2 cents...
    What about describing what you are looking for using smells with which you're familiar? I mean smell of things you see everyday... clean clothes, soaps, food, plants, things, etc... Moreover, as scents are not only a cocktail of motes but more a concept, an allure, what about describing it as what's the style you're into? Describing a situation or way you dress etc or what's the purpose it will suit, will be another good plus.

Quote Originally Posted by ghetu
    How do you best describe to someone what fragrance you are looking for?
    If you haven't had a chance to try many fragrances, I suggest that you begin doing that. I suggest testing as many fragrances as you can get your hands on. The more you try, test, and wear fragrances, then the more clear you will become concerning what you are looking for in a fragrance, and the easier it will be to describe what you are looking for.