Code of Conduct

Default How do you become a master perfumer?

How do you become a master perfumer? do you have to learn it at university, or are you "born into it?" i would love to find out.

Any body on here have any experiences or are you a perfumer?

tell us how you got there, or how you would get there!

thanks.
    coor blimey mary poppins, is that Aqua Motu or the penguins?

Default Re: How do you become a master perfumer?

I think that almost every great perfumer went to ISIPCA after its creation in 1970 by Jean-Jacques GUERLAIN...

http://www.isipca.fr/isipca/home.nsf/accueil4?OpenForm

Does a master perfumer need to be good at math?

I was reading about a master's class in perfumery about a week ago, I don't think there is much math involved, adding and subtracted I'd imagine, they also said not much chemistry, the only chemistry you need to learn is what they teach you. I'm currently on track to go into law or business consulting, but I'd consider dropping it to become an MP.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Adding and subtracting... I can do that! =) Maybe I'll take some really good perfumery classes.

Yepyep,
    You'll be surprised at the obstacles you can overcome if you're passionate about achieving a goal. I wish I were younger! Perfumery as a profession would have had a very strong draw on my imagination. I may still just get the credentials in lieu of starting a whole new career.
    Best of luck whatever your endeavors may be. Go for it!

Yepyep,
    You'll be surprised at the obstacles you can overcome if you're passionate about achieving a goal. I wish I were younger as Perfumery as a profession would have had a very strong draw on my imagination. I may still just get the credentials in lieu of starting a whole new career.

Quote Originally Posted by Eau_Boy
    Yepyep,
    You'll be surprised at the obstacles you can overcome if you're passionate about achieving a goal. I wish I were younger as Perfumery as a profession would have had a very strong draw on my imagination. I may still just get the credentials in lieu of starting a whole new career.
    Thanks Eau Boy! I'm really going to check it out. You go for it too! =)

I think you should honestly start with getting your nose tested. I remember reading articles about variations in people's ability to taste. Chefs were noted to have better than average taste sensitivity. To have come to that conclusion, they had to have come up with a method of measuring your sensitivity. Repeat the method and find their scale to see where you show up. It's basically testing your innate ability to discern.

If you've got a good nose, get into Grasse. I would imagine that would do it. I did find some lists of their classes and also a list of places offering courses:
    http://www.prodarom.fr/UK/gip-accueil.htm
    http://www.fragrance.org/feature_schoollist.html