Code of Conduct

Default CdG Synthetics Line

I just got my 5 samples of the Sythetics line of Comme Des Garcons. I knew what I was getting myself into but I wasn't ready for this.
    Here are my quick thoughts about each one:

Soda: The only "normal" scent in the line. Fresh and bubbly. Absolutelly no range though what it smells like at the beginning is wehat it smells like at the end. Open a Ginger Ale bottle and smell, thats whats it like.

Skai: What does "Skai" mean anyway. Now its getting stranger. A little bit like "soda" but then it kicks you in the ass with some weird mix of rubber and vinyl.

Dry Clean: I read that some people think this scent is very comforting and clean. Well, it does smell clean but in a way that is hard describe because, and I guess thats why its call Dry Clean, it smells like what a clean piece of fabric smells like when it comes straight from the Dry Cleaning machine. It smells of chemicals that make your clothes clean.

Tar: Oh boy, it only foreshadows of whats to come with the final scent "Garage". Go into SEARS and into the tire department thats what this smells like without ANY range of high and lows. Not sure why anybody would want to wear this.

Garage: Well, we end up in a filthy, oily and dirty garage at last. This scent makes me literally sick. This is not something you would want to wear. People who work in a garage all day come home and wash this smell off themselves because it bad, so why would you wanna smell like a garage?

This line is Avant Garde.

It's nice to know Warhol made a movie of somebody sleeping for 8 hours to prove that film can exist without anything happening but you surley do not have to watch it to appreciate it.

When is CdG coming out with "Urinal" again?

PS: Got the samples from a great Ebay Seller name Lisa. I have done a few transactions with here. Write here and ask her about the Synthetics samples. She has all of the rest of CdG also. http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlisalawQQhtZ-1
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

Default Re: CdG Synthetics Line

I'm very curious to know where you got your samples from. I have been wanting to try this line and I have only found it for sale on luckyscent.com and they do not sell samples there.

Skai is faux-leather; synthetic, in other words. It's what we in the states might call pleather.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

I just found out there's this one shop in Vancouver at almost carries the entire CDG line. I’m actually going out this Friday afternoon to check it out. Imagine the entire line at your fingertips, , what to test first. Thanks for the reviews; I should check out Skai as I love turntables and vinyl.

BTW: what are the good ones to try, I'm going straight for Series 2 Red and Series 3 Incense and then Tea because I love tea and there's Rose because I love rose scents................ Okay now I'm going crazy :-[.

Quote Originally Posted by nsamadi
    BTW: what are the good ones to try, I'm going straight for Series 2 Red and Series 3 Incense and then Tea because I love tea and there's Rose because I love rose scents................ Okay now I'm going crazy :-[.
    Those are probably the best ones to start with. Then try Odeur 53 and 71. Then try the Green line (try Calamus).

Then come back and tell us how it went!

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

I actually wore Dry Clean today. Was gonna wear Terre D'Hermes, but something about Dry Clean grabbed me.

It's very minimalist, this one. You sometimes wish there was more to it, but then if there was, it would ruin what makes it great. Dry Clean has great projection and INCREDIBLE longevity. It stays on a shirt forever. It's almost hard to find adjectives to describe Dry Clean, because it's a slippery one to grasp. Whereas Skai is very gregarious and in your face (and it's the best in the series), Dry Clean is much more defined by what it doesn't have--yet it has much more presence than say Odeur 53. I really enjoy Dry Clean. It's pleasantly addictive.

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Those are probably the best ones to start with. Then try Odeur 53 and 71. Then try the Green line (try Calamus).

Then come back and tell us how it went!

-ben
    Yeah for sure, I'm going this Friday, should be fun, but all that testing might affect my sense of smell at the end. Anyways I'll check out Calamus but I hated Mint. Odeur 53 has this stall note that I don't like and 71 I wore yesterday, after the salty bacon fell, I liked it. Anyways, I’ll test bunch and probably walk out with Sequoia.

Quote Originally Posted by mentallo
    ITar: Oh boy, it only foreshadows of whats to come with the final scent "Garage". Go into SEARS and into the tire department thats what this smells like without ANY range of high and lows. Not sure why anybody would want to wear this.
    I really like Tar, very unusual type of fragrance. It has a lovely, velvety soft smell I just can't get enough of. Well, it sure can be overpowering, but when applied correctly I think it is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by shifts
    [quote author=mentallo link=1150225295/0#0 date=1150225295]ITar: Oh boy, it only foreshadows of whats to come with the final scent "Garage". Go into SEARS and into the tire department thats what this smells like without ANY range of high and lows. Not sure why anybody would want to wear this.
    I really like Tar, very unusual type of fragrance. It has a lovely, velvety soft smell I just can't get enough of. Well, it sure can be overpowering, but when applied correctly I think it is amazing.
    [/quote]

Shifts-
    You seem to be one of only a very small handful of people who enjoy Tar. I wonder if it is a cultural thing. I have noticed, for example, that licorice is much, much more popular in scandinavian countries than in the US or other places I have visited. Licorice (real licorice, the strong salty kind) has a sort of tarry aspect to it. You also like Odeur 53, which to me has a strong synthetic anise/licorice note to it.
    I guess that I am wondering if your tastes are common within your culture, or are completely independent. Or maybe I am way off base here, and missing the point completely. I know that we've discussed fragrances in other cultures in previous threads; this was only intended to be a quick question

-ben

PS- I love licorice in all its forms
    Edit- PPS- So-called 'red licorice' is not licorice, dammit! It's a red twist, or a red chew, or a fruit-flavored candy rope. Grrr. How many times I've asked people if they like licorce and received an enthusiastic response, only to have my offer of 'black licorice' turned down...
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[quote author=shifts link=1150225295/0#7 date=1150236510][quote author=mentallo link=1150225295/0#0 date=1150225295]ITar: Oh boy, it only foreshadows of whats to come with the final scent "Garage". Go into SEARS and into the tire department thats what this smells like without ANY range of high and lows. Not sure why anybody would want to wear this.
    [/quote]

Shifts-
    You seem to be one of only a very small handful of people who enjoy Tar. I wonder if it is a cultural thing. I have noticed, for example, that licorice is much, much more popular in scandinavian countries than in the US or other places I have visited. Licorice (real licorice, the strong salty kind) has a sort of tarry aspect to it. You also like Odeur 53, which to me has a strong synthetic anise/licorice note to it.
    I guess that I am wondering if your tastes are common within your culture, or are completely independent. Or maybe I am way off base here, and missing the point completely. I know that we've discussed fragrances in other cultures in previous threads; this was only intended to be a quick question

-ben

PS- I love licorice in all its forms[/quote]

Well, we certainly have to ask Tigrushka about this as well since I know she likes it as well
    I've never really thought about Tar having a licorice caracter before you mentioned it now, but sure I can buy into that somehow. Oh and I am passionate about my licorice, the kind you eat, by the way which might sound weird when I usually don't like licorice or anise in fragrances at all.

I think what speaks to me in Tar (and Odeur 53 plus Skai) are both the highly familiar and highly synthetic elements. You know you KNOW these scents, and just want to connect them with something from you past. I have way more trouble wearing something like Knize 10 to work than I have wearing Tar. For some reason odd appeals to me more than classic.

I got samples of the entire synthetic line from a seller on E-bay last year. I really liked Tar and had long since used it up. It reminds me of a very dry (not sweet in any way) form of Odeur 53. Garage did'nt move me much. I still have Soda and Dry-Clean left. I think both of those are nice. Skai is a close favorite to Tar. I got a sample of Avignon along with Syn. series. with reminds me so much of halloween.

The other CDG frags I have are:
    Odeur 53
    Calamus (Leaves Series)
    Palisander (Red Series)
    Comme des Garcons (original EDP)

I bought the above after sampling, except for the CDG orig. EDP, which I bought blind. That's a good one for anyone into "brown" spices (cloves, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc...) with a hint of rose.

S

Skai is faux-leather; synthetic, in other words. It's what we in the states might call pleather.

-ben
    is it at all comparable to Bulgari Black?

and yea, about the licorice thing, I remember hearing that a taste for licorice is actually genetic, and that many people simply don't have the tastebuds in their DNA to dig it. Dunno if that's hogwash or what, but it would explain the popularity in the nordic countries, considering that they have comparatively homogeneous gene-pools (relative to, say, the USA).

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
    [quote author=greyhueofdoubt link=1150225295/0#2 date=1150233380]Skai is faux-leather; synthetic, in other words. It's what we in the states might call pleather.

-ben
    is it at all comparable to Bulgari Black?[/quote]

No I really don't think so. Skai is quite loud and complex. Or maybe not complex, but full of associations to pull from it, whereas I find Black to be quite simple (but oh so adorable!) and more transparent.

Quote Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo

and yea, about the licorice thing, I remember hearing that a taste for licorice is actually genetic, and that many people simply don't have the tastebuds in their DNA to dig it. Dunno if that's hogwash or what, but it would explain the popularity in the nordic countries, considering that they have comparatively homogeneous gene-pools (relative to, say, the USA).
    Haha! I remember back in high-school when we made a poor russian exchange student unknowingly try a REALLY strong and salt liquorice candy. (salta S, for those of you who know the liquoricescene) I will NEVER forhet the look on that guys face. I have to do that more often.
    Arte et labore

I don't think tar and liquorice, not even salty liquorice smell similar. :-? But Scandinavians often like the smell of tar since it's used on boats and brings summer to mind! ;D In Finland there's even tar candy called "Tervaleijona" (= Tar Lion) which is very popular. http://www.finnishfood.net/store/pro...roducts_id=444

I like both Tar and Garage. While Soda and Skai might be easier to wear, Tar and Garage are very evocative.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka
    But Scandinavians often like the smell of tar since it's used on boats and brings summer to mind! In Finland there's even tar candy called "Tervaleijona" (= Tar Lion) which is very popular.
    Oh my is that ever addictive! I love it! It was too long since I put my hands on some Tervaleijona... But do you connect CdG Tar with the tar used on boats? I don't think they have muhc in common actually. That was something that suprised me with Tar, I was expecting something else (that wonderful boat tar) when I first sniffed it.

Oh my is that ever addictive! I love it! It was too long since I put my hands on some Tervaleijona...
    You've got mail.

But do you connect CdG Tar with the tar used on boats? I don't think they have muhc in common actually. That was something that suprised me with Tar, I was expecting something else (that wonderful boat tar) when I first sniffed it.
    You're right, CdG Tar smells actually much more like big city pollution, hot asphalt and car fumes than real-life tar. It's been so long since I last smelled it that I got it all wrong. :-[

A*Men has a more true tar note but there's so much going on and so many other notes in A*Men tar has to compete with. Wish they would one day make a scent that would really capture and showcase tar in all its glory!
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

i love soda. it smells like nothing else and it lasts very long on me

Oh my is that ever addictive! I love it! It was too long since I put my hands on some Tervaleijona...
    There are a few Kiosks in Umeå carrying Tervaleijona, but hey, Vaasa in Finland is our closest city. I love it too. There's nothing quite like it.
    Arte et labore

Quote Originally Posted by viktorov
    [quote author=shifts link=1150225295/15#15 date=1150358254]
    There are a few Kiosks in Umeå carrying Tervaleijona, but hey, Vaasa in Finland is our closest city. I love it too. There's nothing quite like it. [/quote]

There are actually quite many different tar-candys here...If you like Tervaleijona, you probably should get some Tervapirus (=Tardevils) for instance. They are not so strong as it may sound; just a sweet pleasure of great taste of tar. ;D

And hey, did you know there are also different kind of alcoholic drinks with predominant tar flavour..?

Oh well...that`s another story... [smiley=beer.gif]

Exclamation Re: CdG Synthetics Line

hello I will weigh in but I am a fragrance lightweight

I have been loving soda but then when I read on luckyscents that it smelled like ginger with sushi, I realized it was quite true, (what am I raw fish and seaweed?) although sometimes I think also - another not so thrilling association this toxic US deoderant soap Irish Spring ("Manly yes, but Oi loike it toooo!" is the slogan chirped in a femine brogue)... and I'm like "gee do I really like this stuff?" and it doesn't last . . . sigh When you are first using it and are thinking "radioactive dayglow colored limeade with some graffiti removal chemicals!" it's really exciting to wear! I wish I could go back. I had a friend sniff it and like it I thought about getting it for his birthday but now I'm worried. well, it'd be a good way for me to try it again cause the sample is long gone!

dry clean. . . can't get too excited about it. would be a much greater thrill for me to wear and actual dry cleaned shirt, which hardly ever happens. but I guess I may have washed it off too soon. It really is pretty unpleasant at first.

tar and skai are sisters. I don't know they are fun, they are kinky... and garage is in there too. for a lightweight like me they are all about the same. and I like the idea of wearing them more than the reality I think. I will wear them when the scents have some relevance. Like I have a beautiful shirt with motoring scenes on it.

I have samples of just about every cdg fragrance I got on ebay in a batch of 36 then I found one that was missing. . .

Anyway, basically I love the synthetics line to pieces: bravo Rei. I think my samples will last me a long time of except soda though.

Quote Originally Posted by supermarky
    I have samples of just about every cdg fragrance I got on ebay in a batch of 36 then I found one that was missing. . .
    Which one was that?

Quote Originally Posted by mentallo
    Dry Clean: I read that some people think this scent is very comforting and clean. Well, it does smell clean but in a way that is hard describe because, and I guess thats why its call Dry Clean, it smells like what a clean piece of fabric smells like when it comes straight from the Dry Cleaning machine. It smells of chemicals that make your clothes clean.
    One of the reasons I wear fragrances is to cover the chemically smell on my dry cleaned clothes...

Well since my sample frenzy started about 4 months ago, I really think CDG has been the most exciting line to me, especially the incense series and synthetic series. However, does this house overall have a reputation for very low projection? The reason I ask is that 2 of my favorites are tar and skai, but I really have to get my nose really close to detect them. To me, it's similar to some of the L'artisan fragrances I have loved (Except VDR which does project and last), most for me have very low projection and longevity (Dzing, PDE). I really just wish that my newest favorites from CDG and L'artisan, had better projection and longevity. I really don't want to be "in your face" and have people 15 feet away from me plugging their noses, but I don't want to have to place my nose directly on my arm to detect it.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Well since my sample frenzy started about 4 months ago, I really think CDG has been the most exciting line to me, especially the incense series and synthetic series. However, does this house overall have a reputation for very low projection? The reason I ask is that 2 of my favorites are tar and skai, but I really have to get my nose really close to detect them. To me, it's similar to some of the L'artisan fragrances I have loved (Except VDR which does project and last), most for me have very low projection and longevity (Dzing, PDE). I really just wish that my newest favorites from CDG and L'artisan, had better projection and longevity. I really don't want to be "in your face" and have people 15 feet away from me plugging their noses, but I don't want to have to place my nose directly on my arm to detect it.
    Wow, Tar is maybe the most powerful scent in my arsenal and the same goes for Skai. Very long lasting and huge amount of sillage. I can ge tired of them both if I'm not careful with application.

Wow, Tar is maybe the most powerful scent in my arsenal and the same goes for Skai. Very long lasting and huge amount of sillage. I can ge tired of them both if I'm not careful with application.
    Well either our skin composition is what makes this difference, or is it that you have to spray more? I have only sampled from a sample vial. For each I have tried, I applied about 1/2 of a ml. Which is what I apply for every fragrance I initially test from a vial, and for some I don't have a problem with silage or longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by markc
    Well either our skin composition is what makes this difference, or is it that you have to spray more? I have only sampled from a sample vial. For each I have tried, I applied about 1/2 of a ml. Which is what I apply for every fragrance I initially test from a vial, and for some I don't have a problem with silage or longevity.
    Oh alright, well I have the bottles and the spray cloud the atomizers give off is HUGE so that might be it, but they should still be alright even from a small sample. My Tar bottle leaked and everytime I pick it up I still get some of it on my fingers, eve though I've tried to remove it all from around the top of the bottle. And that small rest on my fingers is still enough to disturb whatever I might have on at the moment.

shifts wanted to know the missing link in my commes sample set

it was leaves: mint

and I got it and hate it it's like mouthwash. I decided I'm not really into the sherbet mint either, too leafy.

I thought I saw that many people had a "wardrobe" but now it seems shifts is the only person I click on and find such...

and by the by shifts, why don't you have any MARK BIRLEY in your wardrobe I am so partial to it and . . . I guess some around here feel it is overrated but it's completely the greatest I feel.

I usually am not into much of anything in the way of fragrances but Mark Birley for me is in a class by itself the only thing that I would venture to say makes me smell better than I do with no fragrance (I have to admit I'm like the Kevin Klein character in "A Fish Called Wanda" - what can I say, some got it, some don't! ).

The weirdest of the commes fragrances are also a class apart, with natural appeal to someone who isnt' crazy about most colognes, but for me they are more of a novelty, like the demeter frangrances, which are fun, but maybe not so wearable. Mark Birley I want to live in and it's horrible to run out when they don't have any available so I got 3 bottles last time it became available. You have to use a fair amount. Don't bother with after shave it's a tease that falls away very quickly to nothing.

Have any of you fragrance mavericks here tried it?

I don't really want too many people to be aware of mark birley but the people here seem deserving of this exclusive knowledge
    Last edited by supermarky; 24th July 2006 at 10:01 AM.