Code of Conduct

Question Aigner In Leather vs. Royal English Leather

Came across milamber's In Leather description in his diary thread and found this intriguing. Sounds like it would wear well with a punkish leather-jacket & torn jeans outfit.
    Could someone put In Leather in relation to REL for me, which is the only Leather scent I know well (and one of my all-time favs)?

thanx
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Default Re: Aigner In Leather vs. Royal English Leather

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life
    Came across milamber's In Leather description in his diary thread and found this intriguing. Sounds like it would wear well with a punkish leather-jacket & torn jeans outfit.
    Could someone put In Leather in relation to REL for me, which is the only Leather scent I know well (and one of my all-time favs)?

thanx
    REL is a smoother, fuller leather with complexity. It is something i would wear for formal occasions to distinguish myself as a kind of sartorial gentleman. Since it can easily get out of hand, taming it can be rather tricky and it does need to be broken down a bit because the general public who are saturated with the fresh and clean scents of today are not going to understand the complex vibrancy of REL or even, leather in essence. This is where Aigner's In Leather Man comes to the fore. There is no taming needed as the scent is what i would call "modern leather". Very little evolution, it heads straight for the bitter leather notes after the citrusy topnotes. Ideal for your combo of "punkish leather jacket and torn jeans" outfit. In Leather Man is streamlined leather that today's generation of "fresh and clean" can assimilate with little trouble. So, where REL is probably the afficianados' elixir of choice, the In Leather Man is it for the new generation of fragrance wearers in a postmodern era.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    REL is a smoother, fuller leather with complexity. It is something i would wear for formal occasions to distinguish myself as a kind of sartorial gentleman. Since it can easily get out of hand, taming it can be rather tricky and it does need to be broken down a bit because the general public who are saturated with the fresh and clean scents of today are not going to understand the complex vibrancy of REL or even, leather in essence. ...So, where REL is probably the afficianados' elixir of choice, the In Leather Man is it for the new generation of fragrance wearers in a postmodern era.
    I was very much with you on your Aigner ILM review but remained a little sceptical on both sillage and failing 'crudeness'. I am very grateful you now extended on REL which will hopefully be next on my list (after SMN Peau d'Espagne though). I have not even sampled REL yet. Can you imagine that I have been told that the importing agent has decided that REL is one of the scents that will not be sold in Switzerland. Que Follia, I have to go abroad for that!
    Last edited by narcus; 22nd July 2006 at 10:15 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by narcus
    Que Follia, I have to go abroad for that!
    There's some REL on German ebay right now, if you're interested. I can only recommend it, it is one of my absolute favorites.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I have not even sampled REL yet. Can you imagine that I have been told that the importing agent has decided that REL is one of the scents taht will not be sold in Switzerland. Que Follia, I have to go abroad for that!
    Too much of a connoisseur's scent perhaps? But it's worth sampling and yes, get the SMN Peau d'Espagne first!

thanks for your hints, gentlemen! I have sampled Peau d'Espagne and it engraved a trace into my scent memory. For me it has become a must-have, even though quite a few seem to prefer the other leather, Nostalgia, from SMN! I have not sampled REL yet, so I cannot go Ebay. It does not matter, my list is long, and my budget short. I have never come near Fumerie Turque yet, and already there is another: Cuir d'Arabie by Montale! That one also left an impression. It is not worn easily, I suppose!
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

I have a full, large, new bottle of AIL if anyone's interested.

I love leather but this one did not suit me. I found it to be bitter with no sweetness whatsoever. That's usually OK with me--Yatagan, my SOTD, has no sweetness either and it's a great fragrance--but AIL just didn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonDave
    I have a full, large, new bottle of AIL if anyone's interested.

I love leather but this one did not suit me. I found it to be bitter with no sweetness whatsoever. That's usually OK with me--Yatagan, my SOTD, has no sweetness either and it's a great fragrance--but AIL just didn't work for me.
    Exactly the point! It's the counterpoint to all the sweetness being produced today! We gotta have at least one (a few in my case) frag that's bitter, aromatic and earthy. Hmmm... well since you already have the marvellous Yatagan at your disposal, you have been well pampered!

My dear narcus! Fumerie Turque!!?? Cuir d'Arabie!!?? SMN Nostalgia!!?? Your blatant name dropping of these exquisite scents have my head turning! LOL!!

'blatant name dropping' ?? What is wrong with aiming high? I never waste a line on Cool Water, that's very true. Modern quality scents are usually expensive. So I take my time and choose carefully. Names I have dropped recently were mostly picked up from Turin or senior basenoters.

I usually go for classical frags. But since they are widely labelled as 'dated' I feel less inspired to share my preferences. The archaic use of leather - that is an heritage I can get excited about. Those scents are like incense and myrrh of the northern hemisphere!

I usually go for classical frags. But since they are widely labelled as 'dated' I feel less inspired to share my preferences.
    It is up to us then to re-educate noses to perceive the notes lost to time. Leather, a versatile note, can be sweet or bitter or some even soury when blended with bergamot for example. It used to represent the plush and affluence of society. Then after the wave of cool water, it suddenly becomes a "dated" note? Well, these notes can be tempered somewhat with the method of application to suit more current sensibilities, i suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Leather, a versatile note, can be sweet or bitter or some even soury when blended with bergamot for example...
    Oh yes, and smokey too! Birch tar, 'Russian leather'. We have not forgotten that finished leather could be quite stinky also. Particularly when it got wet it was worse than a dog's fur! That's why perfumes were used on gloves, right from the preparation of the leathers for gloves, and thats what boosted the perfume industry. A trace of 'odd smell' belongs to 'leather' in perfumery, at least I prefer it that way.