Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default What to wear to black tie dinner tonight?

Hi All,

I have an important black tie fundraiser tonight. I'll be meeting important people. What to wear? I have an idea of three or so frags to choose from, but would like to see what others think? Here is my wardrobe:

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1761

thanks

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What to wear to black tie dinner tonight?

Ooh definitely GIT!
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Post Thanks / Like

...Derby

Antaeus or Rive Gauche.

Antaeus or GIT, depending on the weather. Good luck!

-ben

Post Thanks / Like

Givenchy Gentleman

Post Thanks / Like

Egoiste

Dunhill Edition says "black tie" to me.

Post Thanks / Like

For a black tie dinner, I would wear Pasha by Cartier. It would be nice if you have the matching Pasha watch to go with it:-)
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    For a black tie dinner, I would wear Pasha by Cartier. It would be nice if you have the matching Pasha watch to go with it:-)
    No Pasha watch, but a Jaeger Le Coultre Reverso in classic black and white - a wedding present from my gorgeous wife.

So far, a variety of suggestions - keep them coming. I'd like to see if one dominates. BTW it is winter here in Australia (ie about 10-15 celsius tonight)

Thanks

Ged
    Top 10 (not in order): Dunhill 1934, Dunhill Edition, Terre d'Hermes, Rive Gauche, Habit Rouge, Guerlain Vetiver, Knize Ten, Bois du Portugal, Vintage Tabarome, Green Irish Tweed

Summer Rotation: GIT, Aventus, Erolfa, Vetiver 1948, Guerlain Vetiver, Malle VE, Terre d'Hermes, Bvlgari PH, Bvlgari Acqua, Habit Rouge EDC and Sport, ADP Colonia Assoluta, Chanel PMC, Dunhill Edition, Eau Sauvage, TF Azure Lime

Post Thanks / Like

Antaeus or Egoiste

Overcome By Fumes
    Post Thanks / Like

YSL Mr. 7 of course!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So tell us, what did you wear??
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I might be late for this but I'd go with Dior Homme, Musc Ravager or Rive Gauche.

Post Thanks / Like

No not too late - it's 4pm in Australia - still two hours for me to decide!

Post Thanks / Like

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    or
    Dunhill for Men

Post Thanks / Like

If this event is just an "big cocktail party", you can use the big heavies like ANTAEUS or M7
    - but if it's also an gourmet food dinner, on formale tables, please wear light and decent frags - like "Eau Sauvage" or "Dunhill 2003".

Maybe, your seat neigbors like more the taste of the deli food, as your over kill of frangrance!

Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentrée with a black silk Chanel tie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paradeiserl
    If this event is just an "big cocktail party", you can use the big heavies like ANTAEUS or M7
    - but if it's also an gourmet food dinner, on formale tables, please wear light and decent frags - like "Eau Sauvage" or "Dunhill 2003".

Maybe, your seat neigbors like more the taste of the deli food, as your over kill of frangrance!
    Good advice. It is a wine and food night as well!

The favourites have been the three Chanels - PMC, Egoiste and Antaeus, along with GIT.

FWIW the three i was thinking of were Chanel PMC, Habit Rouge EDC or Dunhill For Men (1934).

Given that Dunhill got one honorary mention (along with its brothers) I will present it and PMC to my wife for final arbitration.

Thank you!

Ged

Post Thanks / Like

OK Ged,
    You have to tell us what you chose and how it went.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trumpet_guy
    Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree
    or
    Dunhill for Men
    Chanel pour Monsieur. Delete the "Concentrée."
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

I'd have been tempted by the Dior Homme for the cooler climate. I'm waiting for this heat wave to wear itself out; the Dior doesn't particularly agree with my warm skin. When it does get its playing, I love it (and onto my clothes into the next day)! Definitely going to get its due come autumn/winter.

Come on then Ged, what did you go for? Hope it was a good night out.

Post Thanks / Like

I presented Chanel PMC, Dunhill 1934 and Habit Rouge EDC to wife. She chose...

Habit Rouge!

I'd just bought the bottle on ebay for A$34 so it's still a new scent. Went really well, the night was a success, drank too much wine, the food was OK. And the Habit Rouge?

Well I love it - I've sprayed it on morning, noon and night in the past week. Probably giving myself olfactory fatigue, as I'm finding the longevity lacking a bit. But boy, what a glorious blast of sophisticated creamy citrus to start, and 30 mins in, a beautiful soft leather (I think of red velvet mainly by power of suggestion obviously!). I had read Scentemental's great review, but I was still struck by how different it is from the EDT. To me there is a distinct cologne feel to it, almost as though they poured a bottle of Eau de Coq or Imperiale or something in with the EDT! Love it.

Don't worry though. The Dunhill 1934 will come out next week for our 1st wedding anniversary (with some 1996 Pol Roger and some red burgundy and sauternes!), and I might try to give all three Chanels a run this week. Perfect weather for them at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your advice (even if the wife won out in the end)!

Ged

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ged
    I presented Chanel PMC, Dunhill 1934 and Habit Rouge EDC to wife. She chose...

Habit Rouge!

I'd just bought the bottle on ebay for A$34 so it's still a new scent. Went really well, the night was a success, drank too much wine, the food was OK. And the Habit Rouge?

Well I love it - I've sprayed it on morning, noon and night in the past week. Probably giving myself olfactory fatigue, as I'm finding the longevity lacking a bit. But boy, what a glorious blast of sophisticated creamy citrus to start, and 30 mins in, a beautiful soft leather (I think of red velvet mainly by power of suggestion obviously!). I had read Scentemental's great review, but I was still struck by how different it is from the EDT. To me there is a distinct cologne feel to it, almost as though they poured a bottle of Eau de Coq or Imperiale or something in with the EDT! Love it.

Don't worry though. The Dunhill 1934 will come out next week for our 1st wedding anniversary (with some 1996 Pol Roger and some red burgundy and sauternes!), and I might try to give all three Chanels a run this week. Perfect weather for them at the moment.

Thanks everyone for your advice (even if the wife won out in the end)!

Ged
    Good choice Ged. Habit Rouge is a nice Guerlain Oriental classic. I'm glad you had a good time. Congratulations on your coming wedding anniversary too!!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS