Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Recovery Project: Pierre Cardin Centaure Series, Part 1

Fragrance Recovery Project: Pierre Cardin Centaure Series, Part 1

This is the first installment in a series of installments that I intend to undertake--not that I really have the time--of recovering information and cataloging such information about fragrances that seemed to have passed unremarked and undocumented. Much of what follows is confirmed and put together from personal knowledge, research, and deduction, so it's really a work in progress. Obviously any help to fine tune facts and details would be greatly appreciated, so please feel free to contribute. I have no information at all on the notes of the various fragrances in the series, and any information along these lines would be greatly appreciated. The ultimate aim of this, I hope, ongoing endeavor is to create a number of posts that will act as a fragrance recovery archive of sorts, which can then provide information to help Grant expand and refine the Basenotes database/directory and, of course, to lessen some of the work for him in the process.

The Centaure fragrance line by Pierre Cardin contains five fragrances based on sensual leather notes from the lightest to the most intense.

The order in which they appear below, is, I believe, the order of lightest to most intense. I have deduced this on the basis of the information I can't really reconstruct here, but, suffice it to say, it is part knowledge, part deduction.

Fragrances under the Centaure series include:

Cuir Blanc (1996)
    Packaging Description: white horse’s head on grey box
    Bottle Description: frosted glass bottle with orange juice, silver neck band, mostly opaque whitish horse’s head top
    pierre cardin centaure cuir blanc 2 (yellow juice with white horse's head).jpg pierre cardin centaure cuir blanc 1 (yellow juice with white horse's head).jpg

Cuir Casaque (1996)
    Packaging Description: blue horses head on grey box
    Bottle Description: blue bottle, silver neck band, blue horse’s head top
    pierre cardin centaure cuir casaque bottle and box (blue).jpgpierre cardin centaure cuir casaque (blue).jpg

Information for the rest of the series can be found here:
    Click for Part 2
    Click for Part 3

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 23rd July 2006 at 10:00 PM.

Default Re: Fragrance Recovery Project: Pierre Cardin Centaure Series, Part 1

Such a great post, Scentemental. I will definitely participate as I have most of these, big thanks to Milamber.

The red one is almost identical with Serge Lutens - Cuir Mauresque (sp?).

The others tend to be extremely similar to each other, but with time, you discover some nuances. You have to add to these 5 another two Centaures: The black ones with golden horse-head caps. They both have the EXACT same smell, though they got different names. More thoughts later. Again, awesome post

Editing to add that according to my nose, the strongest is the red one and not the blue. The lightest is Cuir Blanc, whose bottle is not orange, btw. It's clear frosted glass but the juice makes it look orange.
    Last edited by Killer_Vavoom; 23rd July 2006 at 09:45 PM.

Killer_Vavoom,

Many thanks for the kind words and the already valuable input my friend.

With regard to the the black bottles, check this out:

http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=184676

About the relative strength of the individual fragrances in the series, you'll notice I have
    Cuir Étalon in fifth place, which in my list means it's the strongest of the five. Just to clarify, I am listing the relative strengths of each of the fragrances in ascending order of strength. I am not following the order in which they appear in the advertisement for the Centaure Series in first image that heads each post. My order is from weakest to strongest. It seems that we're in agreement then. Excellent.

Thanks for the information about the Cuir Blanc. I will make the change.

I look forward to your as always valuable input and hopefully to milamber's too.

Very interesting that you compare Serge Lutens's Cuir Mauresque to Cuir Étalon. When you get some time, I'd appreciate some further elaboration. Thanks again.

Best regards,

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 24th July 2006 at 01:36 AM.

OMG parts 2 and 3 are awesome. I hope everybody would take note of these great fragrances. They HAVE to reproduce the whole line. I'm so lucky to have them all (save for the blue, of which a have a decant thanks to Setamp)

Had to exhume the thread since I'm wearing Cuir Etalon today and enjoying the hell out of it. This WHOLE line is beyond awesome. Everybody here should be aware of these COMPLETE works of art.

Great post as always, Scentemental.

Thank you for these interesting readings.
    « L'odeur de rose, faible, grâce au vent léger d'été qui passe, se mêle aux parfums qu'elle a mis.»
    [ Paul Verlaine ]
    Wardrobe