Code of Conduct

Default What two Dutch girls thought of some scents.

Today I had a couple of friends over to see my place. They are two girls from the Netherlands, and they are going back home soon. I've talked with them before about this scent hobby thing, and they wanted to see my collection and sniff some of the perfumes I was working on.

I let them sniff whatever bottles I had sitting on my bathroom shelf, plus a few in my room. ( I wasn't gonna show them the whole drobe, lest they tell everyone at work!)

Here's what they thought:

*CdG Dry Clean-- they both found it enjoyable, and smiled broadly while sniffing it, but they didn't say much and were eager to get to the other scents.

*Miller et Bertaux #2 Spiritus/Land:

Dutchie #1: "ugh! No."
    Dutchie #2: "hmmm. This smells like spicy cookies with cinnamon."

*Terre D'Hermes:

Dutchie #1:"nah, maybe our friend (a guy) would wear something like this. He likes sweet scents. It doesn't do it for me."

*Odeur 53: (Both liked it)

*Rive Gauche Pour Homme:

Dutchie #1: "Not bad, but too sweet."

*Himalaya (now this is funny)

Dutchie #1: (face lighting up) "Now this one I like. This is the stuff."
    Me: You know how much this stuff sells for retail? Around $200.
    Dutchie #1: "Well, it smells just like the PACO RABANNE XS that I bought my boyfriend last year, and it was a lot cheaper." ( I couldn't BELIEVE that this girl, a novice, could call out Himalaya on the XS thing! Just like many Basenoters have pointed out before. Amazing, this girl!)

*Millesime Imperial:

Dutchie #2: "It smells like shoe leather." (This stuns me because I also pick up kind of an effervescent suede note in MI that I don't hear mentioned. Again, these girls are cool.

*Avignon

Dutchie #2: (Began swinging her hands in a pantomime of a priest swinging an incense burner--too much!)

*Black Jeans

Dutchie #1: (smiles)"It's really nice. It smells kind of familiar, but it hits you with a special something."
    Dutchie #2: "I like it. It reminds me of something I smelled when I was 15." (Now this was the most deja vu thing the girls said all day. I've always said that Black Jeans reminds me of a smell I can't place from when I was about 14 years old. Now, I'm probably 8 years older than these two girls, so I don't think there was a common smell floating around, from the same time period, half a world away. It's just so eerie that she would say that!)

*L'eau Bleue D'Issey Eau Fraiche:

Dutchie #1: "Oh, this smells like those mint suckers." (starts describing some kind of herbal menthol lollipops from the Netherlands. Dutchie #2 agrees.)

*CdG Vettiveru:

Dutchie #1: "Wow. I like this. What is it? An aftershave splash? It's really clean but interesting." (they keep smelling it over and over)

*L'Bleue D"Issey:

Dutchie #1After I point out that this is the original to the Eau Fraiche) "Eh, I like the other one much better"

*Joop! Rococo for Men:

Dutchie #1: "This is very nice. One of my favorites." (Dutchie #2 agrees--also apparently it's appealing to random whorish women in elevators too!)

I wanted to get their take on stuff like Kouros, but I didn't feel like breaking the drobe open. I let them sniff one of the perfumes I'm tinkering with and they liked it. They thought it smelled both "cold" and "dirty"--it has a lot of iris and vetiver, so they're pretty perceptive. Anyway, I always like to get girls' opinion of scents because they can be so surprising. I thought I'd share.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What two Dutch girls thought of some scents.

Thanks for sharing, Indie! Nothing is better than getting an unbiassed opinion from someone who is not afraid to be honest.

I had a quick question. Is Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme, the same thing as Paco Rabanne?

I am trying to find the XS in the directory but I can't seem to...

Quote Originally Posted by georgiatechboy
    I had a quick question. Is Paco Rabanne XS Pour Homme, the same thing as Paco Rabanne?

I am trying to find the XS in the directory but I can't seem to...
    Nope, Paco Rabanne PH was launched in 1976 while XS was launched in 1993. Totally different juices.
    Here's the link to XS PH

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: What two Dutch girls thought of some scents.

These ladies are great! They belong on Basenotes!

Post Thanks / Like

One of the most interesting(and amusing) posts I've read since joining. Thank you IG. Were you recording the conversation or do you have a phenominal memory?

May look into "Black Jeans" myself.

Dan
    Last edited by Lightninrod; 26th July 2006 at 12:18 AM.
    [SIZE=3][SIZE=2]"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." Ayn Rand...[/SIZE][/SIZE]

"The essence of fascism is to make laws forbidding everything and then enforce them selectively against your enemies."
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2755"][COLOR=green]
    [INDENT]Daily Wardrobe [/INDENT][/COLOR]
    [/URL]

Post Thanks / Like

I also will look into Black Jeans.....hell, I have like 8 samples of that....bout time I gave it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

Indie, I think you may have sparked a new Basenotes trend scent again. Now all you have to do is say that you got bitten while wearing Black Jeans and the rest will be history.

Excellent post. It's great that they smelled so many. I am going to have to go check out L'eau Bleue D'Issey Eau Fraich.

Post Thanks / Like

Indie, are these fine young Dutch women going to be around this fall? If so I might have to take them off your hands. They sound a bit closer to my age anyways. It's always interesting to see what other people think of scents. Some of their impressions are impressive but some of them leave me wondering. Rive Gauche, too sweet? I don't get it. Oh well. Great post, fun read, keep sharin dem stories!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Giraffe
    Indie, are these fine young Dutch women going to be around this fall? If so I might have to take them off your hands. They sound a bit closer to my age anyways. It's always interesting to see what other people think of scents. Some of their impressions are impressive but some of them leave me wondering. Rive Gauche, too sweet? I don't get it. Oh well. Great post, fun read, keep sharin dem stories!

Nope. Sadly, they're going back to the Netherlands next week (they both have boyfriends back home, anyway)... I'm planning on going to Amsterdam possibly in December. I was also planning a trip to Los Angeles in November, so I don't know if I'll be able to afford both trips. I hope I can make it happen. I've heard that flights to Amsterdam should be cheap in the winter.

But yeah, these girls--as I've found to be typical of the Dutch are very direct and honest about their opinons. Funny enough, Dutchie #1 was the same girl I mentioned one time who brought up the Patrick Suskind novel "Perfume", saying that she had read it in German, and it was her favorite book. She said she was going to get it for me as a gift... We'll see.