Code of Conduct

Default YSL M7, safe to blind buy?

Where i'm from , frag counter selections are really limited, they don't sell M7 here. (at least not within around 3 or 4 hours from my house) I Mean if i wanted to i could probably take a trip and get it, but i'm considering ordering it off the internet because i found it cheap and easyily ship-able to my place. Problem is, never smelled it.
    Heard nothing but good things of course, and I already own Rive Gauche (funny that i could pick this up locally but not M7?! ). I'm wondering if M7 is a "safe" (if there is such a thing) blind buy.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Default Re: YSL M7, safe to blind buy?

M7 Is a very unique scent. It is not something for summer, IMO, so buying now might now be what you want but that is your thing. Most people I know like it. Because it is unusual, it is a risk. I don't know if you'll go for this one. It is inexpensive though so it will not cost you much if you don't like it. You can always sell it off on basenotes. I would say get it. I have it and love it.

Envyus hit it on the nail.

M7 is in no way shape or form a safe blind buy. It has a very unique, powerful scent that depending on your climate, body chemistry and personal tastes would make it a risky bet. My suggestion is to get a decant of it. If I had the stuff I'd send you a decant of mine but I don't have the tools necessary to decant it.

M7 is one to definitely sample first. I think it's a love it or hate it fragrance. Personally I've liked it on other people but I hate it on myself. I'd say take the ride to sample it if you're really curious, or see if anyone here is selling decants.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Quote Originally Posted by EnvYuS
    .... It is inexpensive though so it will not cost you much if you don't like it. You can always sell it off on basenotes..
    yeah I found a 100Ml / 3.3oz edt with all over bodywash and it comes in a leather toiletries case for 65.00 CAD, on strawberrynet. really sounds like a great deal.. plus the shipping is free

(edit) wow seems like everyone agrees it's one to be tested first..i think i'll play it safe
    Last edited by dr_adamg; 26th July 2006 at 02:43 AM.
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

I asked this same question a year ago and today I find myself with a bottle of M7 that I'd love to swap or sell. This is not a safe blind buy in any way, shape, or form. Very unique wood smell that is both heavy and heady...not suitable for warmer weather at all, and even in the cold you may not like the scent.

**After reading my post over, I realize that I do not want to come across so negatively with regards to my opinion of the fragrance since many people adore it, as you may as well, but this is one I personally wish I would have tested first.
    Last edited by John; 26th July 2006 at 03:40 AM.

As others pointed out, M7 is not a safe blind buy -- just my opinion. It is very unique, warm and somewhat medicinal to me. Good luck. mm

I'll echo (for the tenth time) that M7 is not a safe blind buy- however, I *did* buy it blind and it's probably my #2 favorite. M7 works in all weather for me, but it's better for the cooler weather. It's so unique I can't even begin to compare it to anything.

I bought it blind last year and I ended up kicking myself in the ass for it. To me it starts off smelling harsh and medicinal. Then it later develops into a "rootbeer float" accord. The drydown smells pleasant but the wait just isn't worth it to me. I think if the initial bitterness and medicinal qualities were eliminated, I might actually like it.

Not safe because of how it smells - it is very distinctive.

Safe because it shouldn't be too expensive, and you'll have plenty of takers round here if you don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuffman
    I'll echo (for the tenth time) that M7 is not a safe blind buy- however, I *did* buy it blind and it's probably my #2 favorite. M7 works in all weather for me, but it's better for the cooler weather. It's so unique I can't even begin to compare it to anything.
    This echoes my experience with M7 and it is probably my #1 favorite. M7 works fine for me in warm or even HOT weather, much better than many "fresh" scents, and is a big favorite with my girlfriend as well.

However, I do agree that it is very distinctive and can see how it might night appeal at all to some people.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

I bought it blind, and its put me on edge. It isn't right for the summer, on me at least, but I can see how it could be *orgasmic* on the right night. I'm sure I'll have to try it many times before it finally clicks.

This is probably the last fragrance you should consider getting blind. Unless you enjoy drinking cough syrup mixed with panadol for extra bitterness while inhaling thick fumes from burning incense sticks.

No, I don't hate it. In fact I love it!

It's not too expensive, so go ahead and buy blind. It is definitely a fall/winter scent though.

Here is what I wrote in the frag directory on M7:

I bought M7 a few days ago based on a sample I had that I really liked (I never actually wore it though). Now when I spray the juice on me I am a little less excited. It smells very old fashioned, like something from the early 70's. It's raunchy, like something somebody would wear when they go to a nasty strip club. It also reminds me of my uncle, who was a little like that. So....I don't know. Like most YSL scents this one is truly up to the person wearing it.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

One other point about M7 (and blind buys in general):

I read a lot of reviews and comments about M7 over a long period of time before pulling the trigger on a blind buy. As in this thread, opinions varied and were often polarized. I carefully calibrated the comments I read against my own tastes, and what I knew about the tastes of the people making the comments, to try to determine if this was likely to be something that would appeal to ME.

Overall I've had very good results with this approach to blind buying and I definitely hit the jackpot with M7. Buying blind is inherently risky, but not inherently unwise. It can be a lot of fun, and I think it's possible to achieve a high percentage of hits with the right approach.

--Steve
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

The problem with M7 is that it is a woody scent but doesn't give what you expect of woody scents in general. Its woody quality makes it pungent and aromatic but not in the usual dry way. Agarwood has an inherent sweetness that is incency in nature. Personally i love this but it's something i've always been surrounded with. I can only guess what the perception will be of someone who's never been around incense or agarwood.

I think it's a great scent. You should try it out not to see whether it's good but rather whether you can pull it off

It's true not everybody will is able to pull off this frag. It's a very hyper manly scent (almost like a 70's cliche). You should probably wear your shirt open, your chest hair pocking out and a gold chain with a big cross on it and don't forget about that gold Rolex and your pinky ring.
    WANTED buy/swap: Creed "Acier Aluminum" , L'Occitane "Eav des Bavx", Comme Des Garcons stuff especially "Dry Clean"
    Current Top 10: TM Cologne, Mark Birley, Dzing, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Geir, Divine's "L'Homme de Coeur", Penhaligons 'Endymion",
    Creed Original Vetiver, Diptique Tam Dao, Hugo Boss "Spirit"

First M7 I bought blind was the shower gel. I liked it enough....so I bought the EDT at Marshall's. I haven't used M7 out in public even once... I'll have to wait around the cooler, Fall months. I do like the shower gel though.
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

thanks for all of your opinions! fortunately a very generous basenotes member has arranged to send me a decant for a couple bucks, so i can give it a try before i commit!