• deleted

0 0%
  • deleted

0 0%
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Fake Creed

Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Fake Creed

I won an ebay auction for a 4oz bottle of Creed Green Irish Tweed. My winning bid was $43. Not bad, right? Well, I got the package today. Box looks real, bottle looks real, but there is no plastic seal. That is the first bad sign. But I didn't think much of it until I sprayed it. Upon first spraying it I notice that the top notes aren't quite as green or strong as usual (I've tested GIT a couple of times). Then, as it's drying down, it doesn't smell as rich or as warm as the authentic GIT heart and basenotes are supposed to smell. It is also just overall a lot weaker than usual. I slathered myself in it and I can't even smell it very well. Granted, I have a bit of a stuffed up nose today, so I'm not throwing out accusations just yet, I'm just wondering what the chances are that it's fake. I'm really dissaointed that on what should be a glorious day (I also recieved my bottle of TdH and it is perfect) I have to worry about this kind of crap. The ebay seller is bisys00, and he has a 98.4% positive feedback rating. Any thoughts?

Default Re: Fake Creed

I was going to buy one of his bottles.

Now I won't, just because I'm paranoid.

most people don't notice fakes or post feedback before they do or don't post negatives as they don't want a negative back ruining their own feedback. My advice is don't buy from anyone with even one feedback saying fake.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

One more problem with my bottle- the cap is way looser than the cap on my Epicea. It doesn't fit quite right and isn't snug enough. Is that just a difference between the 2.5oz and 4oz bottles? I ask because my bottle of Epicea is 2.5oz. Oy, this sucks. I think I'm going to give it a couple of days and a couple wearings before I make any final judgement and possibly decide to bring this fool down.

i'm not sure, but i think this is the same seller i warned another basenoter about the other day (and, i think, giraffe, you actually posted in the same thread). bummer.

File a complaint with Ebay. I think their is a thread that shows how you can tell fake Creed's or not (Oliver Creed may have mentioned it in an interview). If he advertises it as Creed and it's not, Ebay should interfere.

I wouldn't trust this seller AT ALL! Dig into his feedback and all the neutrals and negatives are complaints about fakes and diluted scents.

Besides, 98.4 isn't a great rating for a seller. Look for 99.5 and above and READ what the negatives are about.

[QUOTE=ziffy321]I wouldn't trust this seller AT ALL! Dig into his feedback and all the neutrals and negatives are complaints about fakes and diluted scents.

Besides, 98.4 isn't a great rating for a seller. Look for 99.5 and above and READ what the negatives are about.[/QUOT

Seeing as many of us are always trying to sniff out a good deal on ebay, I think we should have a specific section or at least sticky thread dealing with this topic of non authentic juice. That way when someone spots for example SMW with 3 hours left and only at 12.99 we don't have to start new threads asking if anyone has experience with the seller. Just a suggestion. If your fears prove true Giraffe, bring him down!
    Currently wearing: Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford

What plastic seal? Creeds don't HAVE plastic seals on them.

I went through this with Himalaya last year. I thought I had gotten a bad bottle. Now, I'm not sure. Creeds are really weird-- Like MI for example. I cried and cried that my MI was so weak and it didn't last. Well, after a few weeks I realized over time that it DID last much longer than I originally thought. Also when I was convinced my Himalaya was bad, I did the worst thing possible-- I doused myself with it, trying to smell it (Some of the Creeds, you get to a point where when you spray a lot, you almost find that you can't smell them at all). So here I was DOUSING myself with Himalaya, and so, the more you do that, the more Himalaya will NOT ever smell how it's supposed to. After a period of time, I put it away, came back to it and sniffed... and it was MUCH closer to how I recall Himalaya as being intended to smell.

Also, with regards to the caps-- the caps on all of the 4oz Creeds I've ever owned or seen have just not fit very well. That's just how it is. It's how they're made.

I know I've flipped out before because of the mentality of "this Creed is bad/fake"--and I'm sure some of them are, but I think probably your bottle is actually OK.

Plus another thing. Sometimes when a fragrance comes off of a hot delivery truck, it tends to smell a bit different than it normally does.

I just my bottle of GIT but from a different seller (njbestsale). All his GIT's have slighlty cracked caps as did mine. I did a smelling test on a decant I have of GIT and the one I just got. I sprayed them on one of those smelling paper strips. The decant is definitley more full bodied smelling. The new bottle has a slightly less warm and full smell. I have heard that Creed vary in smell sometimes though.

1 hour later: After spraying decant on left hand and ebay GIT on right an hour ago, both have faded a lot. (GIT really doesn't last very long at all) I have come to the conclusion that there are differences mainly in the amount of body of the scent but the inherent quality of the scent seems to be present in the ebay bottle also. It's a tough call. I do tend to think it is real at this point though.
    Last edited by mentallo; 27th July 2006 at 06:01 AM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Back on Basenotes after about a 6 year absence. Need to time to re-adjust

Does your GIT has a year of manufacture stamped on it? Also, does are there Arabic words on the box?

There is no date on the bottle tiself but there is arabic writing on the box.

The year of manufacture is on the box as well, check and see if its a new or old bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by mentallo
    I just my bottle of GIT but from a different seller (njbestsale). All his GIT's have slighlty cracked caps as did mine. I did a smelling test on a decant I have of GIT and the one I just got. I sprayed them on one of those smelling paper strips. The decant is definitley more full bodied smelling. The new bottle has a slightly less warm and full smell. I have heard that Creed vary in smell sometimes though.

1 hour later: After spraying decant on left hand and ebay GIT on right an hour ago, both have faded a lot. (GIT really doesn't last very long at all) I have come to the conclusion that there are differences mainly in the amount of body of the scent but the inherent quality of the scent seems to be present in the ebay bottle also. It's a tough call. I do tend to think it is real at this point though.
    That's where I bought mine, which has not arrived yet. Perhaps the stuff is real but past shelf-life or faultily stored or something. I have no means to compare, but I'll report.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I'm waiting on SMW, same seller. I'll report when I get it.

I asked the seller about the difference in smell and he told me "there is no fake creed in the market yet ,so do not worry u got good one".

No fake creed in the market yet?! HUH? I hope that was sarcasm....I know I've only been on here a short while but I can think of countless threads attesting to this or at least a concern...toss up, basenotes readers, subscribers, members, or random e-bay seller...well, consider me old fashioned but I haven't trusted e-bay for shit.

Hate to say it but I've kind of lost trust with Creed or more directly, the sellers of Creed. I've been burned before and have read so many of these threads. It's unfortunate because some of the frags are really wonderful.... just my honest feelings.

I would likely have to go to Creed direct in France and buy it from the home base. Too bad department stores around me don't carry it as I tend to trust department stores and where their products come from.

Thanks for all the helpful posts guys. I hate to say it, but it still doesn't smell that great. It's possible that I just don't like GIT as much as I thought I did, but I can't help but feel like it's at least diluted. Indie, you do have some good points though. I agree that many fragrances-Creed more than included- can be tempermental and just need patience. I'm still warry though...
    Somehow there is only one store around that sells Creed, so I'll make the trip today or tomorrow and possibly bring the bottle with me and ask the people at the store about it. I can also conduct a side by side comparison. This store is also the only one I know of that carries Egoiste, which is incentive to go as it is. If they are nice about helping me with the Creed I'll prolly buy a bottle of Ego from them. I'll keep you guys posted on what I find out.

Too bad department stores around me don't carry it as I tend to trust department stores and where their products come from.
    You can buy Creeds online from Neiman Marcus:
    http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...t000293&cmCat=
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

There are good and bad updates. Here goes.
    Good news: It is starting to smell a little better. I put on a clean shirt and that helped. Still though, it isn't quite the same...
    Bad News: Ya'know how on the bottle itself below where it says "Green Irish Tweed" there is that blurb in French "DE PERE EN FILS DEPUIS 1760 etc., well the D in DE is just a dim outline and isn't raised and the E is fading too, as is the left leg of the R in the word Paris. I don't know how worried this should make me, but it seems like a pretty bad sign.

Question: where is the date supposed to be? I can't find it anywhere.

Current feelings: The box seems legit and is possibly real but I fear the bottle and juice were replicas made by someone who is pretty good but not good enough. I am open to the possibility that it is in fact real though. If the scent keeps improving (I swear it should be stronger) then I'll be more likely to believe that it's real.

Thanks! mm

Creed should take a much more active role in thwarting fakes. I have passed up numerous offers of Creed that seemed to good to be true, or maybe just a little too good to be safe. Of course, it might not matter to Creed what happens to the customers: once the bottles are out the door, they can count their money.

All it would take is a watermark, a hologram, a real serial number, etc etc to easily verify the authenticity of a Creed bottle. But here we are, completely abandoned by the company, examining our damn boxes to make sure that we weren't ripped off. What other companies care less about people copying their product? Music labels sue people everyday for sharing music online, and those people aren't even making money from sharing! See how long you can sell homemade t-shirts with a Nike logo on them before Nike's legal team contacts you.

Perfumery is one strange little planet.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

My Wardrobe

Question: where is the date supposed to be? I can't find it anywhere.
    There is not always a date. The story that a Creed reseller told someone here is that a date is not stamped on the box if the product leaves the factory in the same calendar year as the year of manufacture. Of course, the same reseller also stated that Creeds were made using the finest "natural perfume oils"; apparently not realizing that the term "natural perfume oil" is an oxymoron.

Creed should take a much more active role in thwarting fakes.
    Just buy from an authorized distributor such as Neiman Marcus.

[/QUOTE]The ebay seller is bisys00, and he has a 98.4% positive feedback rating. Any thoughts?[/QUOTE]

Here is a useful tool that will allow you to call up negatives and neutrals (even withdrawn ones) earned by ebayers;
    http://www.toolhaus.org/
    If you look up your seller here, you can see that there are others who complained.

Could somebody post a picture of one their Creed GIT box with a close up of the green felt logo? I am just wondering if the "I" in IRISH looks like a "F" also.

Thanks

Mentallo, mine does do. I believe that is the way it is supposed to look. I looked at close-ups of the pictures on online stores and they look that way.

Lily, that is an awesome tool! Thanks so much, from now on I'll use it every time I use ebay in the future.
    I have to say though, none of the feedback is all that incriminating. None of it says anything about a problem with Green Irish Tweed specifically, and a few of the comments seem like they are from boneheads. So far the smell of the juice is a much bigger worry for me than the comments that have been posted thus far.

Just a heads up that creed themselves are not perfect. I bought some royal scottish lavender from one of the most legitimate sources there is and it had "scottish" misspelled on the bottom of the bottle. This stuff was definately genuine.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews