• Creative Universe Element of Surprise

2 4.00%
  • Les Nuits d'Hadrien EDT

8 16.00%
  • Signoricci

9 18.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Smile Summer/Citrus Poll, or Thanks Scentemental

When on the 2nd of July I posted ' When life is a lemon, my ongoing battle with citrus.'
    A rant about the $ I've spent in vain to find a great citrus frag, I received some interesting responses.
    The most interesting came from scentemental: He sent me some free samples!
    Yes, I've bought from him before but I wasn't prepared for what followed. Of course I'll buy form him again, but I felt the quickest way to repay him was to post a poll on the frags he sent me hoping to drum up some business for him while getting good feedback from all of you on these scents.
    ( Naturally, this will probably just result in his being inundated for requests from free samples--sorry scentemental)
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 27th July 2006 at 06:38 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Smile Re: Summer/Citrus Poll, or Thanks Scentemental

Scentemental is the first person I bought from when I first joined this site. I'll definitely buy from him again. I guess you can say it's " Beginner's Luck".
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Default Re: Summer/Citrus Poll, or Thanks Scentemental

The only thing I've tried from that list is Live Jazz. Sadly I even had to buy that blind. Luckily I loved it.

Scentemental does rock though (along with stuigi, Vegas, CologneJunkie, GraySwan, Joel_Cairo). All fast shippers and great people to deal with.

Hey Mario, tell us what you think about No.88. It would be interesting indeed to hear your opinion for it.

With the emphasis on summer and citrus, my votes in the poll go to Eau de Rochas Homme, CdG Vettiveru, and Signoricci. I think that they are all light enough and fresh enough to be great in the heat of summer. I also wear Tangerine Verte in summer, but being an EDP I reserve it for among the cooler of summer days, and really begin wearing it in the fall when the opportunity to wear a long-lasting citrus is especially sweet!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Trioxin
    The only thing I've tried from that list is Live Jazz. Sadly I even had to buy that blind. Luckily I loved it.

Scentemental does rock though (along with stuigi, Vegas, CologneJunkie, GraySwan, Joel_Cairo). All fast shippers and great people to deal with.
    Well, if you're going to name names, let's not forget maisonstinky aka vijay. He's top seller too!
    "A great perfume is a work of art, it can lift our days, haunt our nights and create the milestones of our memories. Fragrance is liquid emotion. And that never goes out of fashion. " MICHAEL EDWARDS

Smile Re: Summer/Citrus Poll, or Thanks Scentemental

Quote Originally Posted by PigeonMurderer
    Hey Mario, tell us what you think about No.88. It would be interesting indeed to hear your opinion for it.
    PigeonMurderer: Classic old-school macho vintage 80's !

Not at all what I expected, what with all the raves about the rose at the heart. I thought it would be more on the sweet rather than the powerhouse side. Not so.

Afterwards, I looked up the reviews here. At firrst it seemed like too much rhapsody and too little substance. It often drives me nuts when I read that a certain scent is " like a luminous room in a blue effervescent forest"--or whatever the hell--instead of being told what's in it, or at least having the reviewer mention other frags which smell similar. But, it really is tough with this one!

This is the best that I can add: It 's a great, well blended chypre with strong longevity. It reminded of Pascal Morabito's OR Black. Another powehouse old school 80's chypre, which was odd, since OR goes for the leather and No. 88 goes for the rose.

Hmm... I doubt this will be of much help, since OR has been discontinued except in ' special editions' that cost an arm and a leg, so no point in starting a thread entitled: " C and Z no. 88 vs Morabito's Black. " Though I would love to know what the hardcore moderator/addicts who own virtually every frag known to man would have to say. ( I lucked into a botlle of OR a few years back and quickly went through it)

Anyway, in summary: 88 rocks!

At least for those of us who like classic old-school . . .

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

My vote for the best fragrance on this list goes to Czech & Speake No. 88, which is one of my top favorites. There is an unusual and very beautiful depth to the Rose Otto in this fragrance, and the high quality Sandalwood drydown could not be more pleasant. No. 88 is a genuine man’s fragrance. I recommend it.

Question Re: Summer/Citrus Poll, or Thanks Scentemental

And another thing . . .

I was expecting C&Z 88 to be superb, as well as Patou Prive. I also expected to really like Signorroci, Eau de Rochas, and, of course, Miller Harris Tangerine Vert--and I was not mistaken.

I was surprised as to how elegantly understated Live Jazz was and how Penhaligon's Blenheim bouquet gave me a sense of deja vu . . .

But the biggest surprise was CdG's Vettiveru.

I know this sounds nuts, but it has a strong acquatic feel to me!

Why? I don't know what makes a frag " acquatic " -please post if you do- I do know that it was splendid, but I'm puzzled as to how Vetiver blended with incense could equal the sea.
    Or a garden by the sea?

Anyone users out there? I had never heard of it before.
    My Wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by aubrgene
    Well, if you're going to name names, let's not forget maisonstinky aka vijay. He's top seller too!
    Vijay was a pleasure to deal with. I just received a bunch of samples from him and I'm really loving Amouage Arcus which is probably my new favorite citrus/fresh fragrance.
    Last edited by DJB; 30th July 2006 at 12:03 PM.
    Current faves: CdG White, Amouage Dia, Millesime Imperial, Miller Harris Terre de Bois

Quote Originally Posted by Mario Justiniani
    . . .But the biggest surprise was CdG's Vettiveru.

I know this sounds nuts, but it has a strong acquatic feel to me!

Why? I don't know what makes a frag " acquatic " -please post if you do- I do know that it was splendid, but I'm puzzled as to how Vetiver blended with incense could equal the sea.
    Or a garden by the sea?

Anyone users out there? I had never heard of it before.
    Mario,

There is a very prominent but well-blended iodine note to CdG Vettiveru. Annick Goutal has a similar note in her Vetiver, though it's strictly a lot more medicinal.

I don't know whether the iodine note is there in the vetiver and is highlighted or whether it's an added note which works synergistically with the vetiver to add more amplitude to it's grassy earthiness.

I think this is the marine/aquatic element you're picking up on.

scentemental

P.S. I want to thank Mario for be so kind as to mention that I sent him some free samples, but I want to make it clear that I didn't do it to get more business--not that Mario is suggesting this. It's pretty simple actually; there was a real tone of frustration and desperation in Mario's original post about his not being able to find a citrus fragrance to his liking. I was just helping out a fellow Basenoter in distress with a few samples.

Acqua di Parma: Colonia
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.