Code of Conduct

Default Good dark/smokey fragrance to buy for fall

Im looking for a good fragrance for this coming fall. So far the only one I have is M7. Anyone have any suggestions for some heavier dark/rich/smokey scents I can get? I haven't seen anything in the mall and being 16 limits my options as I cannot drive, nor have a credit card to purchase online. So itd have to be some stuff I can get from Marshalls, TJ Maxx, or Ross. I may be going to Aruba soon so thats also an option with what they sell in the duty free shops in the airport or whatever they sell in Aruba. I just wish I had been into fragrances last year because I went there last year. Probably missed a lot of great stuff. Anyways, any suggestions? I just can't seem to find anything.

Default Re: Good dark/smokey fragrance to buy for fall

Gucci Pour Homme is an obvious choice.

I actually tried Gucci PH and didn't like it at all. I don't know what it was. It smelled too cloying to me.

If you want to be more adventurous you could try L'Artisan's Tea for Two or some of the Lutens creations, such as Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque or Arabie.

No doubt the US posters will add their suggestions when they wake up.

Tea for Two is AMAZING. Easily my favorite scent. Although I have the money to buy it, I dont have the means. Again no credit card, and my parents already say I have enough cologne so they wont reaily buy it for me and then have me pay them back. I can't wait to go to Europe though in 2 or 3 years. We have a timeshare and I think we're going to Marabella Spain. Then another year we're going to Italy. Thats too long to wait though. Im still trying to get my mom to cosign my debit/credit card. Hopefully she pulls through.

I recommend Aigner BLACK, please give it a try first.
    Current Top 5

1. Creed Aventus
    2. A*Men Pure Malt
    3. L'instant Extreme
    4. Nasomatto Duro
    5. CDG - Kyoto

No idea where I would be able to test that.

YSL Rive Gauche.

Something you might try to get around the whole credit card thing-- If you have access to those "Green Dot" prepaid Visa/Mastercards, that would be a quick fix if you want to order something. It's a little expensive because you have to pay some money to use them. They're essentially debit cards that you can put money into at the kiosks/machines at big grocery stores. A couple of years ago, I wanted to order some stuff from Aedes and I had cut up all my credit cards, so I got one of those cards just to make one purchase. It cost me a little more money to deal with the cards, but I got my stuff pretty quick. Just a thought.

For a dark smokey fragrance, try Comme des Garçons Jaisalmer or Kyoto from the Incense Series. Actually try the whole series.

Rive Gauche is a fantastic winter fragrance. You might also want to check out Angel Men as well. Although popular on the boards, I don't think I've ever noticed anyone else wearing it when I'm out. One of my winter cornerstones.

Exclamation Re: Good dark/smokey fragrance to buy for fall

Givenchy Gentleman by Givenchy

My 10 August favorites (houses alphabetical)

Asprey Purple Water
    Balenciaga L'Essence
    Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna
    Dunhill Custom
    Gainsboro G-man
    George F. Trumper Marlborough Cologne
    Givenchy Vetyver
    Lalique White
    Penhaligon's Racquets formula
    Rodier Pour Homme

Cristobal
    Antaeus
    Zino
    Heritage
    Rochas Lui
    Visit

While maybe not straight down the path you are set on, Body Kouros is the first thing that came to my mind to recommend.

All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Overcome By Fumes

You may be able to find this one cheaply at the outlets you mention, and it's surprisingly good in a dark smoky way:

Liz Claiborne Spark for Men

I do like A*Men, but not what I'm really looking for. I want to try Rive Gauche but no idea where I can test it or buy it. Please only put suggestions down that are actually reasonable for me to get. The only few on here that would be even possible for me to get are Body Kouros, Heritage (heard they have it at TJ Maxx, Marshalls, etc), and Fracesco Smalto PH since people found that at TJ Maxx. Im looking for a dark, smokey, rich, honey, spices, etc. Just a heavy smooth scent.

I have that, well I bought it for my dad so he has it. Not what I'm looking for. But youre right its good for the price.

Try Jaipur, Envy, or Basala. Those are all fantastic, and they don't have that medicinal smell that some woody frags sometimes have.

-ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

But are they heavy?

Im looking for a dark, smokey, rich, honey, spices, etc. Just a heavy smooth scent.
    And available at TJMaxx too, gee, you don't ask for much!

What you describe is Antaeus by Chanel except that you won't find that in a discount store.
    All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

Ive tried Antaeus and I didnt like it very much. Maybe I didnt let it evolve but thats because i was already headed for the sink after spraying it on. It can be from anywhere that I could possinly get it. Just not online or anything that would be hard to get. I just said TJ Maxx and the like because thats where I usually go for fragrances until I do get a credit card.

Blog Entries

My suggestion is Bulgari Black... yumm.

Mike Storer in Los Angeles
    designer of Monk, Djin and Il Giardino.

I was looking around and I also was thinking about that as a possiblility. Also what about Opium? Would that be good for what Im looking for?

I'll second the Zino Davidoff and Tea for Two suggestions, and add to those with recommendations for both Michael for Men and Le Dandy by D'Orsay.

Jeff

Cool Re: Good dark/smokey fragrance to buy for fall

I think Oriscent's Sandalwood has a woodsy, smokey smell to it. I also think Oriscent's Wild Amber is a great fall/winter scent, though it's not exactly smokey.

Yatagan

Comme des Garçons Man 2 smells like a campfire! Can't get any smokier than that.

Finding it at the places you mention may be tough.

UH... Tea for Two!!!

Fumerie Turque too...

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Eau des Îles is definitely worth a try. It's a rich and smoky woods-based scent of great elegance and lasts a long time on the skin.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Blog Entries

The heavy, smooth masculine incense / resin amber type scents I love are:

YSL M7
    SL Arabie
    SL Ambre Sultan
    Five Star Fragrance Royal Secret pour homme
    Guerlain L'Instant pour homme
    YSL Body Kouros
    CK Obsession Men
    Crown Eau de Russe
    Halston Z-14
    Aramis Havana pour homme

Hope that helps!
    Favourite (Winter) Crazy Combos

Tabu + Orange Blossom * Hermes Rouge + Bellodgia* Voleur du Roses+ Rose Ispahan * Rasa Extreme + Paris * Wood Coffee + Cafe Noir *

Egoiste
    Smalto PH
    MisterK / Vicomte de K / K
    Ephemeral Top 5: YSL PH HC, Worth PH, Equipage, Monsieur Rochas HC, Acqua di Gio

Some of the replies you guys have given surprise me a little given what the OP said: heavy, dark, rich and smoky. Angel?? Heavy, to be sure ... Antaeus? Love the stuff but not exactly right I don't think

And also, easily obtainable - Fumerie Turque? If I ever see that at TJMaxx, I'll ... well, I'll do something pretty spectacular

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a trollfest cos I do love you guys ... of the ones suggested I think both Fumerie Turque and Eau des Iles are brilliant, very rich, very heavy; FT is much sweeter, EdI borders on the harsh depending on your skin. FT is like sweet, rich smoke; EdI is resplendently dark coffee and wood. But I suspect either of these will be impossible for you to get hold of. And also it's a balancing act. I'm not sure if I could've carried either one of these off at 16 and I was quite a dark, serious 16 year old ... although I wouldn't presume to speak for you; they might work wonderfully on you!

Jaipur is a good frag, but its quite heavy on the vanilla and I get the feeling that 'golden' sweet quality isn't what you are shooting for. Worth a go though, definitely.

Opium isn't for me but I think you should definitely try it. If you get a chance to try the higher concentration Eau de Parfum do so, it is heavier and smoother.

If you like M7 you should try the Eau de Parfum of Habit Rouge by Guerlain, it has a similar 'cherry-like' agarwood note in it. I prefer the brightness and pop of the EdT, but the EdP is certainly very smooth and rather darker than than the EdT, and they should have it if you get a chance to go to the duty-free. HR is an unmistakeable, rich fragrance.

Keep an eye out for Rive Gauche - it's one I would have thought might be fairly widely available?? Though I don't think it's what your looking for.

Monsieur de Givenchy is a very unconventional scent; I can't remember it that well but you might well be able to get ahold of it to try it. IIRC it was very dark and dramatic.

Another one they might have at the duty-free is Eau Noire by Christian Dior. If you've not smelled immortelle before it might be a bit of a shock to your nose but this is plenty dark and rich and I think it is yummy.

Hope this helps a bit. Not having access to eBay / good frag stores is a biyatch. Good luck.

FINALLY someone who gets it! I was looking at all these suggestions thinking," I dont think they read that I dont have access to a credit card or a good fragrance store by me." No definitely not going for the "golden" sweet feel. Something just dark. The way you describe Eau Noire souns just about right to me. Im not looking for something like M7, though I do love it. Something heavier I guess. Maybe not heavier but not with that "cherry-like" agarwood smell to it. I will keep an eye out for Rive Gauche just because I heard it is just a great scent and may suit what I want. I can get Opium fairly cheap so I guess Ill get it and try it out. The EDP version would be fairly hard for me to come by. Also, Im trying to get my mom to cosign for my credit/debit card. So if FT or EDI arent that expensive I could probably buy them, or ask around on the site for samples of them. Three or four of what I'd be buying would be blind, so if anyone has any small samples they could send me I'd greatly appreciate that as well. If not, well the grass won't stop growing (not until 3 or 4 months) so I can just as easily make the money back I guess.

So far I'll be trying/buying for the fall:

Bvlgari Black (wanted this one anyways although I never tried it)
    Gucci Envy (not what I'm looking for but still love it)
    Rive Gauche (never tried)
    Eau Noire (If I can get my family to get it for me at the duty free shop in the US Airport, or the Aruban Airport)
    Opium

Quote Originally Posted by Spiritussancti
    So far I'll be trying/buying for the fall:

Bvlgari Black (wanted this one anyways although I never tried it)
    Gucci Envy (not what I'm looking for but still love it)
    Rive Gauche (never tried)
    Eau Noire (If I can get my family to get it for me at the duty free shop in the US Airport, or the Aruban Airport)
    Opium
    Hey, has anyone suggested Santos Concentree to you yet? Otherwise you MUST try it out. If you can't get the COncentree, the regular version will do. Try it!

If we're talking department store frags you might try Dior's Fahreheit, the original emporio armani, maybe Boss Dark Blue, Azzaro Onyx/silver black, Sexual Man by Michael Germain. I know it's tough to find good frags at department stores. I also have to either order them online or pick them up when I'm travelling.
    Can anyone remember love? It's like trying to summon up the smell of roses in a cellar. You might see a rose, but never the perfume.
    -Arthur Miller

Nah no dept store frags. Hate those with a passion. Only a handful are good and none of them are what Im looking for. Actually Dzing! just came to mind as a good one. I have the sample vial and it has everything I want, but it's not as dark as I wanted it. Tea for Two hits it pretty well and Dzing is also pretty close. Maybe if I combined the two sample vials together? Nah I wouldnt waste two perfectly fine frags together. Theyre all I have of the scents.

Quote Originally Posted by milamber
    Hey, has anyone suggested Santos Concentree to you yet? Otherwise you MUST try it out. If you can't get the COncentree, the regular version will do. Try it!

Where would I be able to try this out? Ive read your Notebook reviews and I really respect your opinion so Im really excited to try this one out.

heavy, dark, rich and smoky?

Scent Intense by Costume National

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122299.html

Good luck!

Where would I be able to try this out? Ive read your Notebook reviews and I really respect your opinion so Im really excited to try this one out.
    Sorry, i can't help you out there, perhaps someone from the US can help with the locations of this smokey scent. If you're looking for a dark, smokey, powerful frag, this is it IMO. Oh yes, thanks for reading my little notebook.

Haha youre welcome for reading the notebook. Although I should say, your penmanship could use a little work. Haha

sonomascentstudio.com has a great scent called fireside you may want to try that also will NOT break your pocketbook! AND you'll be a guy "in the know"! hahaha
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)

Does your mall have a L'Occitane? If so, check out Eau de Baux.

dark, bold, strong, assertive........cannot think of anything but SALVADOR DALI Pour Homme....Great layers of dark intensity....I love de mossy, woodsy, sensual drydown...

Someone wrote in a review that it smells the way Darth Vader should do.

Awsome frag.

good luck from the bottom of the world
    Last edited by Halo; 1st August 2006 at 12:14 PM.

I may be going to Aruba soon so thats also an option with what they sell in the duty free shops in the airport or whatever they sell in Aruba.

If you're going to Aruba, why not check out Agatha Browns two mens fragrances called Conquest and Imperial Jade Emperor. I think Agatha is a perfumer in Aruba and owns a little shop there. I don't know a whole lot of info on this but maybe someone else can help.

They aren't Dark or Smokey but still both very good fragrances that can be worn in the summer. Plus I think a 16 years old would love Imperial Jade Emperor, it smells like a bunch of Jolly Ranchers, Yummy .

I actually tried Gucci PH and didn't like it at all. I don't know what it was. It smelled too cloying to me.
    I second the Gucci Pour Homme. Give it a couple or more wearings and then decide on whether it appeals to you. To me, Gucci smells like a lot of wood shavings - dark, and smokey!

Alright well if i come across it again i guess ill buy it.

I was going to suggest M7, but you already mentioned it in the first post! Still, it's one of the darkest scents I have, and I tend to like 'em dark.

This is a bit OT, but do you have (or, can you get) an account with a bank that offers a debit card? They don't build credit, but you can buy things online with them. Alternately, have you considered a secured credit card? Those DO build credit, although having money tied up in one can be a pain, depending on your income.

- Santos
    - Jacomo de Jacomo
    - Ungaro III
    - Rive Gauche
    - Emporio Armani Remix
    - Bulgari Black
    - Acteur
    Top 5: Obsession | Eau sauvage | Antaeus | Bel Ami | Platinum Égoïste
    my wardrobe

Quote Originally Posted by Xplo
    I was going to suggest M7, but you already mentioned it in the first post! Still, it's one of the darkest scents I have, and I tend to like 'em dark.

This is a bit OT, but do you have (or, can you get) an account with a bank that offers a debit card? They don't build credit, but you can buy things online with them. Alternately, have you considered a secured credit card? Those DO build credit, although having money tied up in one can be a pain, depending on your income.

Well Im trying to get my mom to cosign for a debit card, so we'll see how that works out. Hopefully she does because I keep seeing all these great deals on fragrances everywhere online and Im pissed I dont have one. Its slowly killing me haha.

Could you not open a current account, and sort out a personal debit card & cheque book? Maybe there's a different policy over the pond, but in England I've had my own Visa debit card since 14. It would make sense especially if you're making money, and much more appropriate than a credit card. I don't intend to touch one with a barge pole; no way do I need credit agreements coming back to kick my in the back now I'm off to uni.

I'll have a think vis-a-vis your spec. There's been some good advice in this thread. I'd bear in mind that you do only have finite resources, so don't go blowing your cash on niches that you may or may not like. Just be careful, is all. And please don't think I'm talking down to you or anything, I'm only 18 myself!

Quote Originally Posted by lessthanthree
    Could you not open a current account, and sort out a personal debit card & cheque book? Maybe there's a different policy over the pond, but in England I've had my own Visa debit card since 14. It would make sense especially if you're making money, and much more appropriate than a credit card. I don't intend to touch one with a barge pole; no way do I need credit agreements coming back to kick my in the back now I'm off to uni.

I'll have a think vis-a-vis your spec. There's been some good advice in this thread. I'd bear in mind that you do only have finite resources, so don't go blowing your cash on niches that you may or may not like. Just be careful, is all. And please don't think I'm talking down to you or anything, I'm only 18 myself!

Oh I know. No way Im going to spend over $50 dollars on a scent I've never sampled. My max blind buy would probably be around $30. No higher than that. Some of the ones here I tried, and the ones I didnt, well I just dismiss unless I can get samples of them.

I was thinking about buying Antaeus, Tea For Two, and Dzing. Those would be the most expensive ones I want to get I presume, and none would be blind buys.

Caron Le 3 eme is super smokey.

It is but its not heavy enough. Nor rich enough to my nose. Smells too, I dont know. I cant classify what I get. It definitely smells good, but not in the way Im looking for.

another vote for t42, it's the smokiest of the smokey. otherwise bulgari black maybe?
    "...fragrance is a silent language that does not use words. One can express with fragrance things that cannot be expressed in any other way." - Jacques Polge

Quote Originally Posted by dr_adamg
    another vote for t42, it's the smokiest of the smokey. otherwise bulgari black maybe?

I've already planned on buying both.