Code of Conduct

Default Not to be morbid, but...

Has anyone given any thought to wearing perfume when they are dead and in the casket? Now, stay with me here.
    We dress up dead people, put makeup on them, try to make them look 'lifelike'. What is so weird about spraying them a few times with their favorite perfume? People are already going to associate that perfume with the deceased anyway, whether or not they are wearing it at the 'viewing'. In fact, smelling that perfume during the funeral might really trigger some powerful emotions, which could help bring people to closure. Many people are in a sort of shock at funerals, and getting those feelings out in a supportive environment, right there on the spot, seems perfectly healthy.
    So, what do you think?

Another question: Does anyone here have their fragrance collection written into their will? If it's not too personal, can you tell us what is going to happen to your frags upon your death? Although frags are kind of a strange thing to think about handing down, they are extremely valuable as a collection. It would be a terrible waste to throw away thousands of dollars worth of cologne.

Anyways, I was in a curious mood. Just thought I'd ask

-Ben
    Nihil Obstat Ben

[url=http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/1883]My Wardrobe[/url]

Default Re: Not to be morbid, but...

awesome thread!

i hadn't thought about it, but i suppose i /would/ want to have someone spray on the ol' chergui as a final goodbye.

as for my will, no one i know enjoys fragrances, so i'll probably just have it donated to basenotes...

nearfantastica

I'd ask my loved ones to spritz my corpse with a generous helping of "Terre D'Hermes" since it's earthy sweet goodness would blend in quite well with the impending surroundings.. I suppose however when chosing a fragrance, you'd have to be careful to pick one that doesn't clash with the wake flowers.. which themselves can be quite potent.. and banana smelling.. oddly enough..

Anyway, it "may" be morbid, but I love discussing things tend to coil away from..great thread!

a.

I also hadn't thought about this before, but it's an interesting idea.

But which perfume? That is the question. I don't agree with Terre d'Hermès myself, I'd want something more sombre than that. Perhaps this would be the ideal time to bring out the M7?
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

This is a totally F'd up thread. I love it!

I think the problem might come with the fact that you smell the embalming fluids pretty stongly at a funeral, especially up near the body. They should do something about that. Plug up the holes, do what you have to!

I do REALLY like the idea of being sprayed with cologne regardless! I'm sure it will change by the time I'm dead (or maybe not...), but for now, sign me up for some Trophee Lancome to be sprayed on me!

Or maybe a more suitable way of doing this would be to have the cologne sprayed throughout the room occasionally. The wife would have to indicate which to use - whatever his signature scent was. It would probably stir up some emotion, too, since scent is the sense most closely associated with memory.

nearfantastica

I change my vote to Salvidor Dali PH... that way, if I begin to decompose, people won't be able to tell if the smell is my body, or my fragrance...

a.

I also have to say this is a really f'ed up thread, but I feel compelled to reply.....my scent would have to be Nicole Miller for Men...I couldn't possibly think of another...it's my grail, since it's discontinuation, I have two original bottles left...I think they'll last another 50 years? LOL!

Of course I also like Nearfantastica's thought of Terre D'Hermes...Terre..ground, earth...very nice...very philosophical in a way. I didn have a minor in Philosophy...I really like that idea...and I'm a baseball fan which as I said before, Terre D' Hermes has a pine tar sort of scent in the top...I think I mentioned the George Brett incident...too much pine tar...LOL!! Hey, my grandpa was an umpire....this baseball obsession comes with the territory...shit, I was throwing curveballs and knuckleballs before I was 13...had to compensate for the lack of size and arm strength. =) No fastballs from this lefty...just junk!

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Has anyone given any thought to wearing perfume when they are dead and in the casket?
    Dang it, Grey, I've been saving this question for months in anticipation of the next Halloween--although I was going to phrase it, "So, what frag do you want to take to the grave with you?" Well, maybe if the girls don't peek on this side of the curtain, I can still use it with them then.

You want a really scary thought? What happens if Grant kicks the bucket before the rest of us?
    Last edited by Quarry; 27th July 2006 at 07:03 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

The question is not new at all. As mach that I recall there is a company selling luxurious scents for the berial service. I guess the name is Coffin-Lux.

I don`t want to die.

Spray some Kouros on me when I die, it would be the first time I'd get to wear this highly touted scent without having to smell that urine note myself. I'm calling my lawyer....this needs to go into the will.

I've thought about this before. I worked for a local florist during highschool and I was one of the delivery guys. I had to deliver funeral wreaths to funeral homes and churches. Often times I had to pin corsages on dead people or the inside of the casket lids. I've never notice any cadavers smelling of perfume, but they often had a slight medicinal smell, I guess, due to the forma that was pumped into them.

I'm sure there has been someone, somewhere, that has sprayed perfume on their dearly departed. In some cultures, bodies are rubbed down with resins and oils as part of the funeral ritual.

My sister-in-law practically grew up in a cemetary. Her family owns a mortuary and cemetary in Alabama. Her stepmother is (or was) one of the embalmers. I should ask her if she knew of any requests for perfume on the deceased. She has told me of all types of strange requests, such as negligees and baseball caps, to name a couple.

S

happy is the bleu heart<3

Oh somebody better remember to spritz me down with something, hopefully Angel! It wouldn't be me without some sort of nice smelling something.

PS I did spray my late MIL with her favorite perfume, White Diamonds.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Quote Originally Posted by greyhueofdoubt
    Has anyone given any thought to wearing perfume when they are dead and in the casket? Now, stay with me here.
    We dress up dead people, put makeup on them, try to make them look 'lifelike'. What is so weird about spraying them a few times with their favorite perfume? People are already going to associate that perfume with the deceased anyway, whether or not they are wearing it at the 'viewing'. Anyways, I was in a curious mood. Just thought I'd ask

-Ben
    This is something I did for someone close to me who passed away - I was asked to select their clothing, accessories, etc., and so I did - clothes, undergarments, make-up, nailpolish and yes, fragrance. Partly because it was their signature and partly because I wanted them to be as much like the person they were before they died, rather than smell of formaldehyde. The funeral director actually told me it was a good and thoughtful idea to include the fragrance along with the other items, and wished more people thought of it.

Blog Entries

This has actually been a passing thought of mine, but I've never given it much consideration. When I read this thread, however, I immediately thought that if I was wearing one of my favorite "night on the town" frags at my own funeral, like Bulgari Black, I know a couple of friends of mine would SO pull a "Weekend at Bernies" on me, lol.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry
    You want a really scary thought? What happens if Grant kicks the bucket before the rest of us?
    * The missing fragrance list will keep getting bigger.
    * All the bugs will remain unfixed
    * Everyone will have to become supporters so their reviews get posted..hmmm....

I'm planning on living forever, and so far so good.

My mom died last year from complications related to chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder. She loved to wear perfumes, but once she was diagnosed she had a difficult time wearing them because of how they affected her breathing. I was good at finding scents she could wear that she liked, so she wasn't totally without them.

One of the things I found for her was Burberry Baby Touch, and she grew to love it during the last couple years she was alive. She wore it all the time, and it became her favorite.

The casket she'd picked out for herself had a drawer in the lid for containing mementos from family and friends. I took a white linen handkerchief, saturated it with Baby Touch, and placed it in the drawer before we took her to the cemetery.

So, no, I don't think it's morbid. I'm facing my mortality at a younger age than I expected, and I've found myself thinking about how I want my funeral to be. Not sure what I'd want to be sprayed with, but I have time to think about that...

-- Tim
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me

Quote Originally Posted by Dante
    I'm planning on living forever, and so far so good.
    LOL! Dante, I appreciate your sense of humor.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilSF

The casket she'd picked out for herself had a drawer in the lid for containing mementos from family and friends. I took a white linen handkerchief, saturated it with Baby Touch, and placed it in the drawer before we took her to the cemetery.

So, no, I don't think it's morbid........

-- Tim
    That's wonderful that you did that for her, BlueDevil. And I also don't find it at all morbid.
    My Current Top 5: Terre d'Hermès | Terre de Bois by Miller Harris | Isfarkand by Ormonde Jayne | Brit for Men by Burberry | Grapefruit by Jo Malone

Wardrobe / Reviews

My organs go to help others live and my frags go to help them smell good. Support the living!!!
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

cremation doesn't allow for scent and anyway--i donated my body to the local hospital so new drs-to-be can cut me up----or watever they do...just like mom! they send your ashes hoome through the postal service by the way...not to be morbid
    made enough money to buy miami but i pissed it away so fast (jimmy buffett) on perfume (my daughter's addition)

Quote Originally Posted by hirch_duckfinder
    My organs go to help others live and my frags go to help them smell good. Support the living!!!
    Thanks for saying that. I was put on the list for a heart transplant this past December, though currently I am on inactive status.
    Life is a banquet...and I got botulism! -- Me